• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Fletch

Smash Master
All anyone can tell you to do is practice. Mindless repetition with stuff like wave-dashing and it will soon come naturally. Just spend an hour a day working on tech skill and you'll get it down soon, and it's worth the work.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
For practicing l-canceling, this is what I'd do:

1. Set time to infinite.
2. Set damage ratio to 0.5
3. Set handicaps to on.
4. Plug in a controller in a another slot (not the one you are using) and set it to a human player. (the character you pick doesn't matter much, bigger would probably be easier.)
5. Set your handicap to 1; set the other human character (from step 4) to handicap level 9.
6. Go to final destination.
7. Practice your short hops; short hop fast falls; short hop fast fall aerials; and short hop fast fall l-cancels (In that order in case you already don't have the previous parts down).

That's how I learned how to l-cancel, once you get that down, try it out against level 1-3 CPU's, Once you are there, try it out in-game.

Good Luck.

Searching youtube for Wak's advanced how to play helps a lot of people with the basics too.

Scar

#HarveyDent
ya marth1 is ****
That was ****ing SICK!

On another note, Scar, G-reg, and any other falcons going to Genesis best get ready to money match me in some falcon dittos.
ya however much you want
scar i have a question.. how would u go about beating me in a falcon ditto.?
well since you're not going to approach me ever i'm going to run back and forth and be as gay as i can, try to bait out your nairs and shieldgrab them and otherwise dashdance at you until you get close to the ledge and overshoot a nair, if i hit you and you go the other way i take the 3% damage and camp the rest of the match, if it hits and can combo into grab i'm going to grab you and try to tech chase you to death

repeat for 4 stocks unless it's not on FD (we never played on non-FD) in which case i'll platform camp the hell out of you

chize

Smash Apprentice
hey scar, in some cases ive seen people do a reverse bair to combo into a knee, i dont see it used much but i thought it might be useful sometimes, so is it just flashy or can it be used in place of a uair in certain situations? i also wrote this mainly because i wanted you to see my sig

edit edit edit MODERATOR edit edit edit
scar editing so that he passes the character limit so that i can see his sig

JAJAJAJAJAJAJAAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA
IM GONNA INFRACT YOU FOR THIS LAME EDIT LOLZ

mlk2go

Smash Rookie
chize there is no practical reason to use reverse bair over uair, knee, or nair

and nice job writing something for scar to see your sig and then not having your sig show up

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Hey Guys. Its been a while since I posted in Smashboards. Anyways I have been trying to get much better with CF, and I have posted some videos of me playing my bro. He uses Martha and I think he is decent. Anyways I would like as much critique as possible from everyone if possible, especially you pro cf users... Oh yeah, I found I have a problem trying to shuffle nairs. You see whenever i try that and i am fast falling, then cf hits the floor before second kick and if i do get it right, then i can't l cancel it. Any help? I think I have gotten better at shuffling knees, and I use the stomp now and try to nair, lol. anyways please watch these videos and help me out. I really want to get really good with cf like many of you guys. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo2goEfFdVE (part 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKFoTjZRoQ8 (part 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om30uTgXoNk (part 3)

ps. how do i change my username, i really need to change it to leviathin, my gamer tag name.?

Mokumo

Smash Ace
I just watched the first match and the beginning of the third, but i think that's enough to give you some tipz.

1 - please stop rolling so much. you can bait + punish a lot of marth's attacks just by dash dancing and wavedashing, which i can see you can do. you can actually use these techniques to not get hit, especially with falcon because he's soooo fast.

2 - nair more. neutral air, the double kick move. shffl that one constantly, it's one of the most annoying things to deal with when you're playing against a good falcon. at low %s, it combos in to grabs, then it combos into more nairs, uairs, knees... even if you just hit with the very tip of the second kick you can get a solid kill.

3 - downthrow -> knee doesn't work at 0%. if marth DIs in, you can regrab or nair, if they DI away, it means they're gonna tech, which gives you the opportunity to tech chase. falcon's tech chase game is pretty much broken, it's what gives him a fighting chance against top tier characters (especially spacies), because a tech chase stomp -> knee can lead to really low % KOs.

4 - you're good! everybody has tons of room for improvement but still ***** at this game and you're no exception! keep playing, and i hope we meet in tournament sometime so i can **** you! :laugh:

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Hey thanks for the input. I need help understanding some of these terms though. What do you mean by bait + punish and i have a really hard time shuffling the nair, and I keep hearing tech chase but i have no idea how to do it.

Any other critique would be great from anyone btw and thanks.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
Hey thanks for the input. I need help understanding some of these terms though. What do you mean by bait + punish and i have a really hard time shuffling the nair, and I keep hearing tech chase but i have no idea how to do it.

Any other critique would be great from anyone btw and thanks.
No problemo. By bait and punish i mean look like you're going to do something (like you're going to attack him or something) and force your opponent to react to it. Especially against marth, if you can predict pretty much any of his moves you can get a grab and proceed to **** him. Basically, its mindgames, you already do it without realizing it because that's kind of how captain falcon works. think about how you hit with his side B move (raptor boost) it only connects when your opponent is already screwed over or at a disadvantage, otherwise you kinda get owned.

Tech chasing... when you fall to the ground after you get hit you have a bunch of options. A good smasher knows all of these options and will predict/react accordingly. If i downthrow fox and he always techs away, you can run to where he will roll to and hit them. there's a brief period of time after you tech when you're unable to shield but totally able to get hit. captain falcon is so fast that he can take advantage of this all the time. in fact, its the foundation of his metagame.

this is a pretty old school combo video, but it has a lot of combos and tech chasing in it that are now the standard for captain falcon. check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evb-V4--Bsk

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
thanks. So I think I know how he does all that in that video, but getting that good will take a while :) I have only started playing this game for half a year so hopefully i willl get that good. The real problem i am is how to use the nair. Do u use the nair when they are standing on the ground or is it better when they are in midair to use it to combo? Is there a certain combo i can practice like stomp, nair, uair, knee or something like that?

Mokumo

Smash Ace
you should do what I did, and what everyone else here probably did too. 99 stock (or time match with no time) against a level one CPU and then combo the **** out of it all day. chain as many nairs/uairs/whatever you can do together as much as you can and try to end it with a knee. keep going until you have it figured out. that, and go to tournaments and get owned.

it'll take a while

edit: but it's worth it

Scar

#HarveyDent
yeah i screamed a lot in m2k/shiz haha i told shiz afterwards too i was like yo dude when you were playing m2k i cheered against you probably harder than anyone in the room

he laughed

anyways i'm prob gonna do that training section since im unemployed etc, i just need a copy of the game

Pi

Smash Hero
How do you chain moonwalks to actually like moonwalk across the whole stage
Every time I get 1 off and try for the 2nd one he just starts turning around and looking in directions like he's crossing traffic

Mokumo

Smash Ace
I do that sometimes, too. After the first moon walk to you have to hit forward, going through the center this time, and do it again. I tend to do that weird turnaround thing when I stickywalk and hit the other direction, so i think your problem is that you're not passing through the center. That might not be right but im just trying to help =)

Pi

Smash Hero
i guess it's probably juss a timing thing
But perhaps my non dd moonwalk isn't fast enough, i'll practice it later see if i can get anywhere

g-regulate

Smash Hero
marth1, #1 is way cooler, because you lunge out like 20 feet past the launch area and land a flying falcon punch mid-stride.

Grahf

Smash Apprentice
Is short hopping and fast falling aerials with Captain Falcon a good thing? Whenever I fast fall one of his aerials like his Knee or Nair it doesn't come out or becomes not as useful for me. I fast fall when I'm running around or if I full hop stuff but is it as useful with Falcon as maybe Fox / Falco etc? Whats your thoughts on shff

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
yeah i screamed a lot in m2k/shiz haha i told shiz afterwards too i was like yo dude when you were playing m2k i cheered against you probably harder than anyone in the room

he laughed

anyways i'm prob gonna do that training section since im unemployed etc, i just need a copy of the game
how did you root against shiz? Did you not want to see him fight mango? I mean Nothing against M2K but I don't see why he fought so hard against Shiz then sandbag'd in grand finals? It's so strange to me.:confused:

Scar

#HarveyDent
Is short hopping and fast falling aerials with Captain Falcon a good thing? Whenever I fast fall one of his aerials like his Knee or Nair it doesn't come out or becomes not as useful for me. I fast fall when I'm running around or if I full hop stuff but is it as useful with Falcon as maybe Fox / Falco etc? Whats your thoughts on shff
Start the move sooner and the whole thing will come out
how did you root against shiz? Did you not want to see him fight mango? I mean Nothing against M2K but I don't see why he fought so hard against Shiz then sandbag'd in grand finals? It's so strange to me.:confused:
i like m2k more than shiz LOL i love shiz tho

PolMex23

Smash Champion
I like M2K as well. His marth is like watching David Blaine or something. Your like I know there is a trick here somewhere....oh wait...wtf? How the hell did he do that?:confused:
Nice ... analogy xD

Yo Hax is goin to **** on people.

Yo I have a question, whats the best option against spacies Nair Sh or Fh pressure ...

OR Nair pressure wit Shines?

Milos

Smash Lord
i've been messing around with retreating pivot nairs. i find that once you get the hang of it it's mad easy to space it so you hit them with the tip of your foot, plus you can space it for shield pressure

ie run behind them turn around pivot nair their shield, no shield grab cause you're behind them.

also you never end up over shooting your opponent like a lot of falcons do which can be bad sometimes because all though you're out of their range you're also too far away to followup, and cant reliably get kills.

thoughts?

Scar

#HarveyDent
pivot nair is well-known and also one of the best things you can do defensively, since nair pretty much has great priority if you get the right spacing

running past someone is always dumb IMO because you may as well just grab them, but it's a good mixup and nair is great because if you delay it a bit you can catch someone spot dodging with the second hit. only thing to watch out for, down dodgers usually CC grab that nair, so be prepared for that.

also as a result if they try to cc grab but they get knocked over, expect a quick getup attack and dair the balls off of them. great stuff here, take notes guys.

Milos

Smash Lord
yea word

thanks scar.

what i meant was if they're just sitting in their shield if you nair the front of their shield they can shield grab you, and even if they cant it's just a fact that if they're facing you they have more options out of shield. wavedsash oos backwards etc

so if they're sitting in their shield you just run past them and pivot nair the back of their shield, and since you're behind them you can get much closer without worrying about a shield grab. that way, no matter what they do (buffer roll away, buffer roll behind you, jump out of shield, wd oos away) you can punish them (run and grab, jump back and stomp, autocancel uair, run over grab, respectively). of course these out of shield options and punishing options are not limited to what i mentioned, but you get the idea.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
yeah milos but if you know theyre shielding, and you run towards them, right when youre about to go past, hit grab

thats scars point

but thats still good cause sometimes you wanna wait for the roll or spot dodge or something and not just run up and grab

Milos

Smash Lord
yea i mean i know you can grab them when they're shielding, but i feel like a smart player sitting in their shield will expect me to do that and do an aerial out of shield (ugh especially spacies shine oos)

i suppose the mindgame is that if they're jumping out on reaction, then if they dont see you go into the jump or grab animation they'll continue to sit there and wait for you to try something.

i dunno this is getting to hypothetical

all i really was talking about is how **** pivot nair is, and it's really easy if you use the flick method

bigd we had great matches at RoM even though we totally missed pc vs shiz for them lolol

and you completely sandbagged (i think)

Top Bottom