• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

School is in Session 6: Road to Apex! Results Thread! BRACKETS UP! :D

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
I had tutu in my pool for the second time in a row at SiiS tourneys

had hilt been there I'm sure he wouldve been in my pool also. LMAO

(throwing out complaints because everybody's doing it.)

Coney

Smash Master
a bunch of people had to play pretty early even after playing in pools (me and mr. eric, logic and nicole)

i'm not sure if that's a typical issue or not but some TOs try to avoid it, wasn't a big deal but so long as we're all *****ing

also if me and logic were switched in winners brackets you might've seen an MD/MD winners finals!

except i lost to the best player in the midwest in a terrible matchup and he lost...to a girl

j/s j/s

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Technically OS I didn't even know you were a bye so I probably would have moved it for y.b.m. too.

but I get what you're saying.

I would have given Kassy one of the byes that 2nd seeds got anyways though because of the ******** number 48 man bracket number. We shoulda just ...

6 pools of 11 players, except with four pools with 12 players... Eliminate one person from each pool, now you have a 64 man bracket...

Did I do the math right? would that be fair? :(

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I had tutu in my pool for the second time in a row at SiiS tourneys

had hilt been there I'm sure he wouldve been in my pool also. LMAO

(throwing out complaints because everybody's doing it.)
LOL

would've just needed Eduardo there to seal the deal

Also so wait, was YbM given the OS bye or was Kel? And what seed did Coney have? 1? 2?

Coney

Smash Master
i was first seed, i thought it was weird i had to play such a good player second round and thought it might be MD/VA SABOTAGE but then he told me he got third seed and i figured he annihilated his opponent or something

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
There are a zillion god kais. They lost the right to not play each other when they take up half the bracket. =P

But seriously. There's small dinky tournaments where you can move everyone around willy nilly and no one cares. 32 people show up and you make sure carloads don't kill each other, that's cool. You run a regional and you make sure that people who traveled OoS don't play each other first round? I'd do the same thing, but you have to know that's borderline.

You run a regional and you move people from that region around, simply because they "play often"? That's cheating.

You run a large tournament, you don't move anyone around for any reason. No one likes to go to giant nationals and play their friends, but that's luck of the draw. You can separate giant regions (east, west, midwest, south, canada) during pools but past that you let the machine take care of it.

Seriously though. Manipulating players placement in the brackets is bad enough when all the players are present, but knowingly moving a bye and giving it to someone else? Not cool. That's demand a refund and walk out of the tournament stuff, because that's straight up manipulating the bracket.
^THIS
:/
...Sigh...

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Wait wait wait wait. Krys. There were 10 pools? I heard there were 12. Which is bad enough, but I mean...

Edit: Nevermind, I understand.

What's The Point

Smash Master
6 pools of 11 players, except with four pools with 12 players... Eliminate one person from each pool, now you have a 64 man bracket...

No. 2, 4, 8, or 16 pools only. Powers of 2. Always and forever.

OS, it's not like they were moving a natural bye. You were a 2nd seed that didn't show up, so they were placing the bye where a 2nd seed would be. I would instantly give it to Y.b.M. after seeing that he did his God Kai thing and got 3rd in pools. That way some 2nd seed isn't dealing with a real 1st seed as his first round, but then Y.b.M. still pays by playing Coney second round.

Alternatively, they could have pretended you were a natural bye, which is normally a terrible idea. But since they did the wrong amount of seeds for the bracket it probably wouldn't have mattered as much. But what they did was right.

There were bracket mistakes, but Y.b.M. getting the OS bye is not one of them.

D

Deleted member

::looks at the bracket::

Kain beat Kel in losers?

Would that make it the first Wolf Kel has lost to?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
No. 2, 4, 8, or 16 pools only. Powers of 2. Always and forever.
This, this, this, this. Only good way to do things. Anything else brings more bias than there needs to be or messes with the seeding. Not saying that there was bias involved in this specific tournament, but 12 pools is terrible and I've taught her better than this.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Technically OS I didn't even know you were a bye so I probably would have moved it for y.b.m. too.

but I get what you're saying.

I would have given Kassy one of the byes that 2nd seeds got anyways though because of the ******** number 48 man bracket number. We shoulda just ...

You guys probably should have eliminated down to 32 players and then done a 32 man bracket.

OR

If you're dead set on doing a 2-day tournament for a group of people so small we could legally convene in a steak and shake and the only thing the fire marshall would have to say is "keep it down please", you could just have us all do multiple rounds of pools and end it in a much smaller bracket or one final uber pool.

Put everyone in pools and bring it down 48. Make 8 pools of 6.

Top 3 move on, leaving you with 24 players remaining. 4 pools of 6, keeping with the theme of 6. You could do 6 pools of 4 but who is counting anyway.

From those, top 3 moves on again. You now have 12 players remaining.

To make things easier on everyone and prevent player fatigue, let's make 4 pools of 3 where the top player moves on. You then have 4 remaining.

Take those four and seed them appropriately. If they are all 4-0, do it randomly. If there's someone who had a tie breaker match or had some losses, put him at the bottom and put 4-0's at the top and have them play and move towards the middle in this manner.

This gives you an intense final bracket.

Alternatively, you can do one final pool of 4 and be like "shazam, everyone play" but at this point everyone's probably played most of the people in their pool anyway and this might seem a bit redundant, even if it is better at determining a winner.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
OS, it's not like they were moving a natural bye. You were a 2nd seed that didn't show up, so they were placing the bye where a 2nd seed would be. I would instantly give it to Y.b.M. after seeing that he did his God Kai thing and got 3rd in pools. That way some 2nd seed isn't dealing with a real 1st seed as his first round, but then Y.b.M. still pays by playing Coney second round.

Alternatively, they could have pretended you were a natural bye, which is normally a terrible idea. But since they did the wrong amount of seeds for the bracket it probably wouldn't have mattered as much. But what they did was right.

There were bracket mistakes, but Y.b.M. getting the OS bye is not one of them.
For one, I announced I wasn't coming both in person and on the thread; I was a guaranteed bye.

Y.b.M. should not be rewarded for goofing off in pools.

I goof off in pools all the time.

You know what I do? Beast the bracket.

You don't move people aroudn to give them easier times or reward them because you think they're good. -_-;;

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
9: Kel - As always, nice to see you. Definitely want to be able to talk to you more next time, and drag OS to more of these if you can! He's fun and I misses him, too.
What's this about no shoutouts, OS?

Just kidding. You know how much I <3 and miss ya. Thanks for the bead art, by the way! They're all really well done. Are you planning to go to Youmacon? You'll probably make a killing there with it. ^_^

What's The Point

Smash Master
Y.b.M. should not be rewarded for goofing off in pools.

I goof off in pools all the time.

You know what I do? Beast the bracket.

You don't move people aroudn to give them easier times or reward them because you think they're good. -_-;;
Making Y.b.M. play a 2nd seed isn't punishment. He's going to beat those people. Getting a bye isn't really a reward. It's really punishment for the 2nd seed that has to play Y.b.M. first round. So if you have a 2nd seed bye, give it to the God Kai to not punish that 2nd seed. Y.b.M. got his actual punishment for getting 3rd by having to play a 1st seed way earlier than he really should have had too.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
MY POOL WAS FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

outside of Tutu and AZ I mean but once I learn that sheik matchup!

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Then what do :( We had 70 players. I woulda wanted a 64 man bracket instead of doing that 48 man bye-sh*t. That was stupid. And the pools was dumb. I'd do 6 pools JUST to eliminate the 6 worst players, but that'd be like a call out... God damn it.

my brain hurts. Ill post pools too later when Im done with class. Toodles.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
ehhh I'm pretty sure bad players KNOW they are bad...I think a couple of good players underestimate themselves but I have yet to see a MW player talk hisself up whilst still placing second to last every tournament

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Then what do :( We had 70 players. I woulda wanted a 64 man bracket instead of doing that 48 man bye-sh*t. That was stupid. And the pools was dumb. I'd do 6 pools JUST to eliminate the 6 worst players, but that'd be like a call out... God damn it.

Then so be it.

I know I've had my fair share of death pools and if I got eliminated, oh well, life moves on. There are people who know from hearing their poolmate's names whether or not they are getting out.

What's The Point

Smash Master
He's saying there were bracket mistakes because of the 12 pools. Which was a big factor, but then you still have things like Shadow Pheonix having a bye and was placed where a 1st or even 2nd seed should have been to be Nicole's first hard match. Plus pools were pretty skewed, which was probably caused by the 12 number again.

8 pools of 8/9, top 6 get out to a 48 man bracket. I wish some one had caught the 12 pools thing, I only noticed that seeding wouldn't work half way through pools.

Stop with the 6 pools. 2, 4, 8, 16. Only acceptable numbers.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard

Six pools of nine, two pools of eight. Four people move from each pool into a 32 man bracket. Pools will be a bit big, but sometimes that happens. You'll have plenty of TVs for each pool, though, so that helps things move faster. 48 man brackets aren't the greatest, but sometimes you have to roll with them. But for a 70 man tournament, a 32 man bracket should have been done.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
What's this about no shoutouts, OS?

Just kidding. You know how much I <3 and miss ya. Thanks for the bead art, by the way! They're all really well done. Are you planning to go to Youmacon? You'll probably make a killing there with it. ^_^
Didn't know that existed. Just checked and it said artists alley was full. So unless you know someone that works there that could get us a table, I cannot. :(

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
He's saying there were bracket mistakes because of the 12 pools. Which was a big factor, but then you still have things like Shadow Pheonix having a bye and was placed where a 1st or even 2nd seed should have been to be Nicole's first hard match. Plus pools were pretty skewed, which was probably caused by the 12 number again.

8 pools of 8/9, top 6 get out to a 48 man bracket. I wish some one had caught the 12 pools thing, I only noticed that seeding wouldn't work half way through pools.

Stop with the 6 pools. 2, 4, 8, 16. Only acceptable numbers.
Six pools of nine, two pools of eight. Four people move from each pool into a 32 man bracket. Pools will be a bit big, but sometimes that happens. You'll have plenty of TVs for each pool, though, so that helps things move faster. 48 man brackets aren't the greatest, but sometimes you have to roll with them. But for a 70 man tournament, a 32 man bracket should have been done.
I will keep these in mind in case I ever get close to those numbers or I'm helping someone with a tournament again.

no wonder we had a hard time seeding . . . :(

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
OS, you should just set up a carpet/rug and sit in between stations like a peddler.

"Bead Art? :D (showz)"

anyways late shoutout to mikey:

*hugs*

Nice seeing you again, I hope we get to play next time, your peach is really fun and challenging, and it woulda helped to practice up a bit before getting nicole's she-devil from bobomb hell XD

What's The Point

Smash Master
2^# pools applies to any number of entrants. If you have 30 entrants, don't do 6 pools of 5, or 5 pools of 6 just because it factors well. You'd do 4 pools of 7/8 (Or 8 of 3/4). Given, 30 is a terrible number, but thems the breaks.

Shugo-Chan

Smash Lord
@ Gimr: lol you and your brother are so similar, both love to mess with me in the same exact way and lol don't worry i knew you were joking, there isn't much that i take seriously.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
I had to deal with something similar at Apex 2010. The Live stream TV shut off near the end of a doubles match. M2K and his team mate had the win basically. Dazwa was on his last stock and about to die. They called me over and told me the TV shut off and that some one paused the game as soon as the tv shut off. I said, "restart the match, that's the rule" M2K started complaining about how it didn't matter since they were about to win, blah blah blah blah. It didn't matter I told them to restart. Then Dazwa and his team mate decided to just play it out and un-pause.
That's not what happened at all, but that entire incident is behind me (and has been behind me since game 2 of that set) so w/e. As long as you guys have a rule in place for equipment malfunction the next time around (hint hint you didn't last time, and if you did you guys weren't really keen on telling me what it is because I only asked for it 100 times), I don't really care.

the important thing is that you're trying to convey that it's important for TOs to follow the ruleset they decided upon and not to "appeal to the crowd" with decisions, and I can 100% agree with that

shoutouts to overswarm for getting me a book

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I am sure if I was told about it it would of been handled properly. Sorry about that Dazy

steep

Smash Lord
So I typed up my shoutouts over quite a long time span and when I clicked post it erased all that I wrote. I'll retype them sometime soon hopefully but right now I'm just really frustrated with smashboards.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
steep if you use the back button and press CTRL+Z on the blank text box you had the info in, it will reappear I think.

unless thats not what happened to you.

If you go forward, and it erases everything because you got logged out, click open a new tab, log back in, and then press the back button to get back to your message (which is blank now) and press ctrl Z in the text box.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
If you threw in experienced TO's you could say it without seeming like a jerk (not calling you one) but I guess that was the joke, eh?

:phone:

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Well I've only ever TO'd one event and it was for 7 people. I hadn't realized we had 12 pools, and never thought anything of it until the program spit out "hey, buddy, I can't put these in because the number of pools isn't a 2^# number, now stfu and gimme breakfast"

and I'm like o_o at like 4:30 in the morning...

Top Bottom