• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Senate Sponsored: SWF Suggestion Box (No smiley suggestions!)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
So rather than rework a system that could've benefitted a website literally based on finding and running tournaments, it was scrapped because the person that looked over entrants didn't give two craps who counted as a TO and who didn't?
It wasn't that "the person that looked over entrants didn't give two craps who counted as a TO and who didn't" because the requirements were just easy to do (link to a tournament you were hosting) because the point of the usergroup was so people could post their events in the calender. Now that we've got the way of listing events the group wasn't needed and disbanded.

We actually have been looking at something to do in regards to a T.O. group, though we're still throwing ideas around.

Well, I'd say people questioning where said colors are from and how they got it only adds interest to the user group. But, of course, postbits can have the same effect.

Postbits you can at least mouse over and it'll tell you what you got it for.

But I also suggested a set of default colors that doesn't need any work of getting, but that you are awarded just for choosing to be a member of this site, and not another.
The problem being that there's not really a huge amount of colours that we can use. For example, a lot of us weren't really happy with the 'tomato' colour of the Pokemasters group, it was pretty close to red, being the moderator colour. We've got pink for debators, hot pink and lime green for premmies, green for broomers, purple for smash broomers, grey for admins. There's very few colours that aren't just slightly different shades of used colours, so even if we disabled those colours and let people pick whatever, it would just be a mess. Not to mention that the main reason that the usergroups have colours is because those usergroups also give permissions to access various rooms (ie, melee back room)

We'd much rather work on improving the postbit and award system (or if we can get one working, a forum achievement system :)) and reward people for visiting SWF with things like that.

The reason I like the colors was because it gave a sense of individualism and uniqueness to the user that a postbit doesn't really provide. Many felt like giving some sort of uniformity to their user display panel as well (orange name, orange avatar, orange sig).

I'm not saying recreate, or make more user groups. I was just asking for more options.
Hopefully one thing we can implement is the ability to pick and choose which X number of postbit icons you want to display. It'd most likely be tied in with the improved award/achievement system, whcih means we'd be able to get a lot more than the handful of icons and allow people to display the selected few they want to show off instead of the current 'all or nothin' that we've got.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Bring the RPG back. I loved that thing.
Actually, Terywj and I are working on that now. After one more rp in dgames, we'll get our group of supporters to mass post in fs about it and MAYBE get a board.

Just join the group in my sig if you want to be on the mailing list for info.

Anyway, is there a specific reason why my copyright rule suggestion was ignored in the newest version of the rules? I posted it on page 1, I believe.

D

Deleted member

I still don't see why workshop grape was removed because it doesn't meet any requirements of being removed and also meets the "access to various rooms" you just mentioned.
also, how do people not see the bolded "moderator" missing under the pokemon orange?
(I also only heard good things about the colour itself but that might just be me)
not to mention that the 2 rows of postbits most of the more veteran members have is way more of a rainbow than the colours imo.

and I think you're approaching the limited display thing the wrong way because if people are annoyed by the "rainbow", that means they want postbits of other people not show up, not just their own.

also
(or if we can get one working, a forum achievement system )
please don't, like for the love of god don't. this isn't an FPS this is a forum for crying out loud.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Make previous infractions that are gone not show up in User CP. I have infractions that expired years ago that are just sitting there for no reason.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
They're mostly used for records keeping and the Permanent Penalty.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
You can just click the thingy in the upper right of the infraction box in User CP to hide it anyway.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Anyway, is there a specific reason why my copyright rule suggestion was ignored in the newest version of the rules? I posted it on page 1, I believe.
This particular revision had been in the works since before you posted that suggestion (and was relatively close to being finalized), so we weren't able to address it. It is something that's being looked at for future revisions, though.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I still don't see why workshop grape was removed because it doesn't meet any requirements of being removed and also meets the "access to various rooms" you just mentioned.
Not sure on that one I'm afraid, hopefully one of the others will chime in with an answer.

also, how do people not see the bolded "moderator" missing under the pokemon orange?
Because not everyone is as observant sadly. :urg:

Actually, Terywj and I are working on that now. After one more rp in dgames, we'll get our group of supporters to mass post in fs about it and MAYBE get a board.
I think he was actually referring to the old SWF RPGs that were built into the forum. You had your character class, got currency from posts and so on. Pretty sure that was something that Gid, Amo and/or Kirby King coded themselves, don't know if there's any versions of it out there that would work on our current VB version.

Make previous infractions that are gone not show up in User CP. I have infractions that expired years ago that are just sitting there for no reason.
While Ankoku addressed this I just wanted to point out that only moderators and yourself can see your list of infractions, so you don't have to worry about Joe Random clicking your profile and seeing them.

I am not sure if I am rehasing other's ideas, but if I am, it simply means its a popular idea. Anyway....

1) I would say do not add GIF avatars. Even with fairly new computers, the loading times with GIF avtars and GIF signatures can slow a computer down fairly well.

2) An increased size to 150x150 in avatars would not be problomatic I think. The tabular form of the boards allows for such a size without expanding the forum.

3) Many users prefer to use colored text, such as myself, and I know many more would like to do it. Although, those that do not are too lazy to have to always select colored text for their posts. I think it would be useful to have a preference option that would allow you to set a particular type of font size, font style, and font color for all of your posts. This way whenever you make a post, it gets put into those preference for you without having to select the same options all the time.

4) Anytime you go to "Go Advanced" there are similes on the side. However, the site has almost 500 of them. I think a small preference option could be designed for this feature. You select upto 15 similes that you typically like and have them on the side for usage. This way you do not have to go searching through that list everytime for your favorite similes.

Even though most of these suggestions make life for the lazy easier, they are nice features to have.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Oh man, that reminds me, an option to turn off all color and font tags would be AMAZING PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Another suggestion:
-Add a
tag button to the Quick Reply tool bar

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
3) Many users prefer to use colored text, such as myself, and I know many more would like to do it. Although, those that do not are too lazy to have to always select colored text for their posts. I think it would be useful to have a preference option that would allow you to set a particular type of font size, font style, and font color for all of your posts. This way whenever you make a post, it gets put into those preference for you without having to select the same options all the time.
If you use firefox, you could always download this add-on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/clippings/

It saves whatever text you want in a clipboard so you can quickly just right click and paste your usual posting format.

Sails

Smash Ace
So out of curiosity, what switch was accidentally pressed to produce this effect? http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b353/sonicandtails/supersigh.png

All of my linked images are being turned in to supposed "resized" images, when they shouldn't be. Thus, they have boxes around them and it completely ruins my matchup page that was working until tonight. I can understand automatically resizing images, but these are being unnecessarily resized and I have to now add in HTML img tags to fix it all :\

Nope, apparently I can't even do that.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Add a button for
tags.

It's a pain typing them out all the time.
Another suggestion:
-Add a
tag button to the Quick Reply tool bar

I'll see if I can it added on later in the week

So out of curiosity, what switch was accidentally pressed to produce this effect? http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b353/sonicandtails/supersigh.png

All of my linked images are being turned in to supposed "resized" images, when they shouldn't be. Thus, they have boxes around them and it completely ruins my matchup page that was working until tonight. I can understand automatically resizing images, but these are being unnecessarily resized and I have to now add in HTML img tags to fix it all :\

Nope, apparently I can't even do that.
^Oh wow I thought that was just me.
The borders on images are probably being removed as we're still making modifications here and there. However, to prevent different skins breaking upon large images, this was implemented. The resize utility should only affects images in more than 800px width though.

Got a link to the post?

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Images will still resize to 800px max width in the post itself. There's really nothing wrong with that because highslide will take care of what people used to use collapse tags for.

If I've misinterpreted you somehow, please link the post you are referring to.

D

Deleted member

repost from what I said in the DR about the plugin:

-resize only occurs after page is fully loaded
-800px is way too little for people with big monitors (1080P)
-clicking zoom doesn't show the full size but instead shrinks pictures to fit the screen (so long vertical pictures become unreadable)
-pictures smaller than 800px width also get the zoom thingy

tbh I don't see what was wrong with collapse tags. just put a button for than in the (quick)reply box and everybody is happy

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Instead of using , try [imglink] bbcode.

[size=1]/should probably make an announcement on that soon[/size]

[quote="The Paprika Killer, post: 12431882"]repost from what I said in the DR about the plugin:

-clicking zoom doesn't show the full size but instead shrinks pictures to fit the screen (so long vertical pictures become unreadable)

tbh I don't see what was wrong with collapse tags. just put a button for than in the (quick)reply box and everybody is happy[/QUOTE]

- unfortunately the script only goes into effect when the image is fully loaded, there's not much we can do there
- MetalMusicMan has a 1920px-wide monitor and said it didn't affect him... (i'll get him to clarify but he set all of the settings on this)
- it should not do that anymore, just regularly zoom into the picture
- I don't think the script has any control over which images it resizes :/

D

Deleted member

is there a way to add an option for this in the userCP? I just don't like this thing at all.

MetalMusicMan

repost from what I said in the DR about the plugin:

tbh I don't see what was wrong with collapse tags. just put a button for than in the (quick)reply box and everybody is happy
It should not be waiting until the load is over to resize. If it's till doing that, we'll look into it.

You have to resize for your lowest common denominator when it comes to resolution. I also have a 1080p monitor, there are not many websites that display images larger than 800px horizontally in their content areas. One of the many reasons for this is that no one likes reading lines of text that are much larger than that horizontally.

Clicking zoom no longer shrinks pictures to the monitor size, it displays the full original image size. It was intended to do so from the beginning, but it was a work in progress.

Every image will be clickable to see the original, yes. This doesn't really have any negative effect though.

In short, there is nothing good about huge images breaking the layout; it's an annoyance that should be avoided at all costs. This is a good change, and one that pretty much every good website has, as its the best and easiest way to deal with large images.

Sorry, here's a link to the post: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=300226
It appears the box effect has now disappeared, but they're still being converted to supposed "resized" images, which kills my links (Since the Falco image is supposed to link to the Falco discussion).
It definitely shouldn't be overriding URLs. If you link an image, it should take you to the URL, not the original image. This is an issue we will fix if possible. You shouldn't need to use an [IMGLINK] bbcode to make the links work, that's not the normal behavior of the script. It could be some dumb vbulletin-specific issue that isn't able to be worked around though, I'm not sure. I'll chat with Bionic about it later today.

is there a way to add an option for this in the userCP? I just don't like this thing at all.
No.

D

Deleted member

isn't it possible to let the images be resized to the post width? I know it's possible since dr.net has that.

anyway, thank god for CSS being powerful enough so I could disable most of this

Nike.

Smash Hero
An icon for the Collaspe tag. Like others mentioned, typing it out can be a hassle.

I really miss the Pokemon Group Color (It was beautiful lol) but colors were already a No.

Larger avatars were already given a No.

Gif avatars would be pretty nice.

50 posts per page sounds appealing.

More smashboards skins would be my biggest thing. Mods get so many of the cool ones while everyone else gets 3 generic options and one more if you bought premium. Access to more of the skins (even if it only comes with a premium account) would be huge :)

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Actually, premium gets 4 more.

Two classic blue recolors by Azua (which I don't like much really, one that's another blue, and a funky green/orange one), one by TPK and Requiem that's all orange (I mostly use this one), and one by rPSI that's all turquoise with Miku inspiration.

Actually, make modskins available to everyone imo. I love their skins.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Premmie also get Cyborg (and child of Cyborg)

We're working on something skinwise, will be a while til it's ready though.

MetalMusicMan

[imglink] allows the image to link to a URL rather than the full-sized version of itself.

On most forums, you don't need to do that because bb code overrides the image's self...s nit-picky as it often is, there may not be.

Top Bottom