• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sexy Poses!: An In-Depth Move Analysis for Zelda - Move #18-20, 22 Up/Down B, Dash A

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I generally don't use utilt unless I'm certain it'll hit.

I normally just substitute it with U-smash.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Personally, I always keep UTilt fresh, ready for the kill. It's pretty quick for such a powerful move, and it arcs, making it a useful anti-air move, though it can be quite punishable. Still, I tend to use USmash for anti-air tactics; UTilt is my main kill move, since FSmash can be SDI'd out of, lightning kicks are unreliable, and DSmash is short-ranged and doesn't work on characters with good horizontal recoveries (i.e. Peach, Jigglypuff etc.)

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate it an 7.

XFadingNirvanaX

Smash Champion
UTilt's probably one of the moves I use the least. USmash is more common to me. The times I've used UTilt:
-On airdodges right above Zelda
-Againest some of the faster chars, while they're approaching/dash attacking.
-situations where it comes in handy
UTilt's like Usmash except it's way more likely to be fresh.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Learn how to land this thing.

If you opponent airdodges into you, learn how to Utilt. It could snag you the early kill that Zelda desperately needs to win. Utilt will probably be fresh too, so extra coolness right there.
I was going to say this myself but it appears that I don't need to.

Good ways to bait that airdodge are:
din's fire.
-if they are REALLY thinking, they'll just get hit by din's insead of airdodging into you and getting hit by utilt..... but practically no-one thinks of that
-uair feint
obviously Uair and utilt are both great finishers. they can't dodge both.

As good as both of those options seem though, the foe has to be in such a position as to allow this to happen. It's not like it works ALL the time.

And of course, learn at what percentages Dtilt pops into Utilt.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
If they aim high, utilt is really good vs. Fox/Falco trying to recover with Illusion.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Generally speaking, Utilt is a less safe Usmash. Usmash is faster, generally less laggy, does more damage, and tends to beat out more things (whereas Utilt seems to like trading hits).

Utilt should generally only be used in 2 situations:

1) You're absolutely sure it's gonna hit.
2) You're absolutely sure it's gonna kill if it hits.

Otherwise, the risk isn't worth the reward.

There are other similar situations where it can be used, but they tend to be extensions of the two situations above (for example, if you think that Usmash will trade with their aerial, you could substitute a Utilt since it's a much more favorable trade, but this assumes that you're going to hit with your move in the first place, which falls under situation 1).

Utilt's one redeeming feature is that it's a good kill move, especially since it'll most likely be fresh. Connecting with it can be difficult, but one way to do it is to use it when you know your opponent is going to approach with an aerial. Utilt basically trades or beats every aerial in the game that lacks a massive disjoint, so you can just trade hits with it (assuming that they'll die from Utilt). Aerial approaches are also slightly telegraphed so it'll give you more time to actually execute the Utilt (it's not very quick).

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Anything else?

Honestly, utilt seems to be a pretty simple move that doesn't require much discussion..... lemme know if you guys're ready to go ahead and jump to the next move. (Suggestions, again, are welcome.)

Or if I'm just being impatient, you can tell me to shut up and wait a minute, too, lol.

Kata, I'll get the shield disadvantage for the back of utilt for you.

sasook

Smash Champion
The trajectory for utilt isn't straight up right? It's sort of diagonally up? Or am I mistaken?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
The trajectory for utilt isn't straight up right? It's sort of diagonally up? Or am I mistaken?
It says it in the OP...... the trajectory is diagonally away from Zelda, mostly vertical.

However, utilt has a lot of hitlag frames during which the opponent can DI, so they probably won't end up going in its natural direction. Doesn't really matter, though, since the move is so strong and will probably kill even with good DI.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
do we have data for what % Dtilt pops into Utilt for what characters?
will it kill at those % for all of them?

sasook

Smash Champion
It says it in the OP...... the trajectory is diagonally away from Zelda, mostly vertical.

However, utilt has a lot of hitlag frames during which the opponent can DI, so they probably won't end up going in its natural direction. Doesn't really matter, though, since the move is so strong and will probably kill even with good DI.
My bad, I assumed the data for utilt wouldn't be added until we move onto the next move, so I didn't think to check the OP.

Thanks though.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Awwww!

well moving on anyways... if you could get that info Kay plus about the million trillion other requests I'm sure I've demanded off you then that would be grrrrand!

zeldspazz

Smash Master
What does it mean to have 2D or 3D hit >.<

Anyways, I love U-tilt, keeping it fresh makes it a good finisher if you can predict your opponent. Sadly, I miss a lot with the shorter chars hehe. The hurtbox movement from in front-->behind her can be a bit slow too, so you gotta time it right.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I've gotta say that I really only use this as a KO move or to mix things up a bit. Usmash has multiple hits, so it's usually a better or safer(?) option than utilt. But hey, that's my two cents.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
What does it mean to have 2D or 3D hit >.<
Brawl exists in 3D, meaning there's an X axis (forward/backward), a Y axis (up/down), and a Z axis (the "depth" of the screen).

Sometimes a character can move into the "background" (during certain frames of their spotdodge, while charging a smash, during certain aerials, etc.) where 2D moves won't hit them but 3D moves will.

Example: During some of the last frames of his spotdodge, DDD has partial invincibility even though his true invincibility frames are over. He can't be grabbed, and 2D moves won't hit him. If you were to utilt him with Zelda, you'd miss; however, if you ftilted instead, you would hit him.

Sucks for G&W, who's flat, so his entire moveset (iirc) is 2D, lol.

Also note that this partial invincibility can affect only part of a character's body as well. There are cases where the upper half of a character may be in the background but the bottom half is fully vulnerable.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Info for our next move, dair, is now up. I was going to do Naryu's, but now there's the other thread on it, so I'll save it for later to avoid NL overkill. Then I was gonna do Din's, but both Kataefi and I are still doing more testing on that move, so it'll probably be next, lol.

A few last notes on utilt:

@Kataefi: on Mario, the end of the move gives Zelda a -18 shield disadvantage. It's not the very last hitbox frame, but it's the last one that'll hit him.... I'm assuming taller characters will get hit sooner and shorter characters will get hit later, changing the disadvantage accordingly -- but not by much.

Also, max damage for utilt is actually 11.(some decimal)%, but it gave me 12% -- when Mario already had damage -- consistently enough that I just called it 12. I'll be judging all future moves this way, because whoever put the decimal system in Brawl is an *******.

Anyways, let's discuss dair! I'm especially interested in spike setups, no matter how situational they may be.

EDIT: Before anyone asks about the second two "max range" pictures..... if you double jump with Zelda, fastfalling a dair right after she reaches the peak of her second jump is around the max height you can be for the first hitbox of dair to hit Mario on your way down. I figured that might be a little confusing.

EDIT #2: I think it's funny that utilt is a 2D move but dair is a 3D one, lol.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Situational setups are just that: situational.

That being said, I'd rather kick someone then go for a spike that may or may not work.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I only dair when I'm up on stock and i'm trying to look cool /bad or when my opponent is chasing me I try to surpise them with it instead of airdodge. One time I made a ground opponent trip when I used it which was awkward.

gm jack

Smash Lord
A SH Dair over he edge of the stage can destroy people whose recoveries do not auto-grab the edge, such as Wario and Snake, if they are forced to recover at that angle.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
i rarely ever attempt Dair spikes unless its like a furry char, cause you can fall on their uB's lol

sometimes i use it as a random move while coming down cause its rarely expected, but thats about best i do w/ Dair.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
when it works, it's devestating, but it's not one of the most reliable spikes in the game. Why can't it sweetspot a grounded enemy?

that's just plain stupid.

sasook

Smash Champion
The sourspot dair is good for gimping characters with poor or predictable recoveries, I would think.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
simple, the grounds made of rubber, curse you Sakurai

it should at least make grounded enemies trip lol
It can make grounded enemies trip. It rarely ever happens, but it's possible.

Anyway, I rarely ever use Dair, because I can hardly every sweetspot it (whether or not that's me being a noob I don't know). Granted, if you can sweetspot it, it's devastating, but it's also extremely situational. The sourspot can still gimp characters if they have an horrible recovery, like LInk and IKe, because you can quickly grab the ledge and edgehog them.

Overall, I only use Dair if the character has a terrible vertical recovery or if it's a large character like Bowser. Most of the time you're better off using Fair or Bair to edgeguard, since those are more likely to actually hit. It's not a useless move, but it's unreliability means that it shouldn't be used much.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Sometimes I use dair to intercept uairs/utilts. It's usually a bad idea, because it has balls priority, but it's weirdly disjointed and has a laggy hitbox.... sometimes it can interrupt people as you come down. You'll hit them before their hitbox comes out or before their hitbox reaches you.

Also, even though Zelda doesn't really get a frame advantage on it, a lot of times you can follow up with dsmash, dtilt, or even fsmash/usmash if your opponent is slow at reacting. I guess it's the flinching animation..... many people tend to think they're stunned for longer than they actually are.

This is all highly risky and not really the "right" way to do things, of course. But if I like to SH dair with Snake (c'mon, he looks like he's riding a bike or something.....), I'll **** well do it with Zelda too. =X

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Sometimes I use dair to intercept uairs/utilts. It's usually a bad idea, because it has balls priority, but it's weirdly disjointed and has a laggy hitbox.... sometimes it can interrupt people as you come down. You'll hit them before their hitbox comes out or before their hitbox reaches you.

Also, even though Zelda doesn't really get a frame advantage on it, a lot of times you can follow up with dsmash, dtilt, or even fsmash/usmash if your opponent is slow at reacting. I guess it's the flinching animation..... many people tend to think they're stunned for longer than they actually are.

This is all highly risky and not really the "right" way to do things, of course. But if I like to SH dair with Snake (c'mon, he looks like he's riding a bike or something.....), I'll **** well do it with Zelda too. =X
Sometimes you gotta be risky especially with a bad character. Depending on the situation and match up it can be afforded to take risk every none and again higher the risk higher the reward.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I find Dair to be a really good ledge-guarding move... I personally like to harass with it when people come up from the ledge as many characters don't have good ledge otions.

I think the lingering and slow nature of dair lends itself well to:

- sour spike back them back down if you catch them early in any of their ledge-tech options, which can happen very often and so they need to re-grab the ledge
- sourspot them on the ground if they decide to roll, climb or attack over the ledge (I'd say this is the worst outcome)
- or sour/sweetspot them down onto the ground if they decide to jump over the ledge.

In all 3 scenarios, dair can pretty much cover them well with some possible advantageous outcomes.

Riickable

Smash Cadet
when it works, it's devestating, but it's not one of the most reliable spikes in the game. Why can't it sweetspot a grounded enemy?

that's just plain stupid.
Can you imagine how powerful and easy to pull off that would be?

I could imagine the Johnners now, nubs call Zelda cheap enough as it is.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Can you imagine how powerful and easy to pull off that would be?

I could imagine the Johnners now, nubs call Zelda cheap enough as it is.
Zelda doesn't have a whole lot going for her, so IMO she deserves it to make up for her other flaws. Oh, and a Snake style DACUS too.

Top Bottom