• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

Rog~er

Smash Apprentice
Roger i don't care you dont like my video. even though its online. i do just as well in real life. i did a sheik ditto with NEO and all i had was wifi experience and this was friendlies at a tournament.(they were close matches too.) you still can learn the match up online. and you probably do alot better offline too. im sure my sheik would of 3 stocked the mk even if it was offline....

i didn't know you can reset decay with needles. that makes the ftilt usmash game more complex then.(ill test it out) (i actually thought needles contributes to decay)

Resetting Decay
Each AA jab resets a level of decay
AAA jab will reset all decay

like i did this on yoshi on versus.

i first did a dsmash then it is 14% just for testing. then i sd'd then i did AA combo and the dsmash turned into 12% i tested this at least 5 times. and still same result. then i tested the 5 AA combo on a decayed 7% dsmash and after i did 5 AAs then it reseted it self to 14%. i did same test and did 4AAs and it reseted it self back 4 levels which was 12%.

(i'll do more testing tonight)

I found use for naritake step instead of ftilts and attacks. you can use it for mixup rolls.

what? attacking me for no reason. what i said wasn't directed towards you alone.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
lol, I don't know what to say about that, Cross.... so I guess I won't say anything.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I hope that teaches the Kirby to stop DIing toward on the ftilt fair situational reset.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I'm hoping he, and the rest of armada's crew, keeps doing it. How good would these vids look if the combo-y got out of the combos?
Not very.

Some of it realistically works a lot didn't. Neat to watch regardless.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
For future reference, **** vids like that one (and my random vid against Bowyer's Fox) are terrible for critiquing. It's hard to tell you what you were doing wrong when the opponent is barely punishing you for anything.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
For future reference, **** vids like that one (and my random vid against Bowyer's Fox) are terrible for critiquing. It's hard to tell you what you were doing wrong when the opponent is barely punishing you for anything.
I put two vids up. lol
Mainly I wanted the Ganon **** to be used in the thread (if approved by East). That and I wanted to know if I am doing better at my movement on the battle field.

The second one was more for my critiquing. He put up a brick wall and I couldn't get through it, any advice?

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
How much trouble does Ganon have getting around the chain?

sl, your play style is weird. The only word I can equate it to is "jagged"

That Falco video. It seemed like you were throwing out attacks where you were hoping he would be and not where he was. Predicting your opponent is great, but predicting correctly is what counts.

That vanish glide.... was incredibly risky.... but it worked. I'd be very wary of doing something that close.

I'm at a loss for any single contributing factor that was ultimately lead to your defeat.

[Nor did I even see one. I would chock this one up to simply being outplayed, but some people wouldn't accept that. If you're one of those people, sorry]

: /

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
How much trouble does Ganon have getting around the chain?

sl, your play style is weird. The only word I can equate it to is "jagged"

That Falco video. It seemed like you were throwing out attacks where you were hoping he would be and not where he was. Predicting your opponent is great, but predicting correctly is what counts.

That vanish glide.... was incredibly risky.... but it worked. I'd be very wary of doing something that close.

I'm at a loss for any single contributing factor that was ultimately lead to your defeat.

[Nor did I even see one. I would chock this one up to simply being outplayed, but some people wouldn't accept that. If you're one of those people, sorry]

: /
Well... Tristan is right. I do need a LOT of work on my spacing. That is a big reason why I lost.

BTW.... I was hoping that he would get hit by the Vanish, but my timing was slightly off. Instead I got a nice edge hog. lol

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
not a single needle... thats purty depressing...

stop poking with weak nair it will always be a grabbed on sheild. use strong bair or retreating fair for spacing. work grabs into you game more. Also learn the range of jab and use it, it's a good way to shut down approaches and inturupt slower moves at low risk.

save you jumps, againt most characters you habe better recovery options from below. it allows you to take better advantage of your invincibility in your upB. You should have been edge hogged numerous times on that first stock.

Learn to DI properly.
You should be fairing on your way back to the stage it slightly improves your recovery.
Needles

clowsui

Smash Legend

clowsui

Smash Legend
no, but placing yourself against RECOGNIZED competition and putting yourself in a position where you are going to test yourself against others in order to WIN a nice prize is an easy, objective way to say that you have skill.

let's see some results or at least evidence of tournament attendance. if not, the ppl you play are garbage

alternatively you could MM me at the athens circuit event. it's a two birds, one stone deal!

edit:

i hosted 2 tournies, both of which i placed dead last at but i got out of pools in both cases
in the two other tournies i've been to that don't count as my own i placed 2nd to last in singles and doubles, at the most recent circuit event i placed last (didn't get out of pools)

i suck. but i'm getting better because i'm going to tournies /shrug
i'll get out of pools at the next one, prolly get into the bracket and maybe get like 35th or something. aiming for >17th

edit2:
2000th post

iLight

Smash Lord
i think there may have been some matches recorded of my sheik from HOBO 16 =]. I think i did pretty well, getting 13th out of 70+entrants with only sheik. I post them on here when/if i get them from UTDZac

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Good **** Light. Looking forward to seeing them.
+1

I should really get vids up too, but there's no point since I have barely actually played brawl since I last put up vids. This game is too boring to practice. I miss melee......

Tristan_win

Not dead.
ugh, KRD your style sure has changed.

You seem to be more campy now only to charge in to add token damage which ultimately add up so you can kill most of which by a surprise dacus. Basically use you sheik as if she didn't have combos.

You also have a very clear pattern of attack, needle, needle, they start to get close you run forward and attempt to keep them off balance and seemly as quickly as possible end the conflict before returning to your needling.

Personally, I really see nothing wrong with this since hey…it worked on the first match but I just feel you are limiting yourself by doing just that. If I fought Xyro I would follow him around constantly apply pressure only to grab to beat his shield and throw him downwards so I can walk after him. I would draw the whole fight into close range and force him off stage whenever I could since Samus recovery isn’t that good.

Samus doesn't have many options against Sheik nor does Samus have any kill moves to write home about. Making a mistake against Samus wont cost you the match like it might if you fought someone like game and watch.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
it was weird. i beat two VERY high level sheik but krd was mega hard on the first match. weirrd

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys my videos will be up tomorrow,some are tourny matches,some money matches and the rest are friendlies I think there's around 8 vids but yeah just givin u guys somethin to watch for tomorrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Hmm... video thread.

KRD (Sheik) vs. Xyro (Samus) (tourny set at HOBO 16)
Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL_52-jduAA&fmt=18
Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsTKiuuWHk4&fmt=18

Sorry there was no replay data for match 3, I mostly used Zelda for that match though.
I liked the fact that you actually used needles did a good job of not letting Xyro charge . But Samus is a match up where you need to watch your distance when you are shooting needles. Charge beam goes through them and you don't want to trade 3 damage for 25.
Keep in mind it takes the same amount of time to shoot one needle as it does to shoot all 6. it seemed like you didn't realize this. espeacially match to where is he was on the platform you'd shoot a needle even if the was no way it would connect.
also, xyro jumped a lot and dodge into the ground alot, these are perfect opportunities for fully charged needles.

Dacus approach, Usmash approach, dash attack approach. No. These are good punishers but not good openers there is too much room to be punished and the attacks are easy to react to.

Bair. I don't think you used bair once. Bair in my opinion is sheik's second best move, second only to needles. Use it more, it's so good!

UP tuesday smashfest. G2G!

KRDsonic

Smash Master
espeacially match to where is he was on the platform you'd shoot a needle even if the was no way it would connect.

Dacus approach, Usmash approach, dash attack approach. No. These are good punishers but not good openers there is too much room to be punished and the attacks are easy to react to.

Bair. I don't think you used bair once. Bair in my opinion is sheik's second best move, second only to needles. Use it more, it's so good!
The needle thing is just a bad habbit I've picked up that I've been trying to break myself of. I actually didn't realize that I did that until one of my friends told me on the day of the tournament.

With DACUS, I guess I get too impatient with wanting a kill. The up smash approaches were dumb of me, and some of the dash attack approaches were failed DACUS attempts (others were because it makes her go low enough that she won't get hit by Zair, though idk if her running already does that).

And Bair, I love that move a lot, idk why I didn't use it much in these fights, usually I use it like crazy as soon as I get my opponent off the ledge. <3 Bair.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
With DACUS, I guess I get too impatient with wanting a kill. The up smash approaches were dumb of me, and some of the dash attack approaches were failed DACUS attempts (others were because it makes her go low enough that she won't get hit by Zair, though idk if her running already does that).
Yeah... I get impatient as well, especially in friendlies. But in tourney I'd suggest you take you time and wait it out, sheik is so good at punishing the smallest mistakes with very low risk to her self (against most characters) So don't feel like you have to rush it.
Zair. I'd just Pshield. most Samies aren't gonna use it when you are in dash attack range. That move is so hard to punish, well pretty much impossible to punish... trading with needles in't a horrible idea in some cases, Zair does a lot less damagethan 6 needles.

And Bair, I love that move a lot, idk why I didn't use it much in these fights, usually I use it like crazy as soon as I get my opponent off the ledge. <3 Bair.
On the ground too! samus wouldn't be able to do a thing against bair->jab (spare upB) eventually you get to easy shield pokes(shield stabs whatever) with dtilt or bair or... even kill moves like nair! Especially against Samus' tallness fun times...

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Yeah, combo vids are made to make the character look good. That said, the only non-match vids I'll be putting up are instructional ones.

*EDIT*

I have a few videos. Got to play a friend of mine who just moved down from NJ.

v. King Dedede [Crono]
v. Metaknight [Crono]
v. Metaknight [Crono] 2
I'll comment on the DDD one. I'll pretty much just note everything I see in order.

:25 Probably not a good idea to ftilt at this percent, but if you do (and I do) follow up with jabs or grab, because they will probably get out, shield (like he did), and grab you. you're lucky he turned around. And generally ftilt isn't great for shield pressure. mix it up with jabs, tilts, aerials, etc.

:35 absolutely NO reason to fsmash. easily blocked and it wouldn't kill now anyway. Do not do that!

:38 I would have gone for the fthrow or dthrow instead of grab release. Could probably follow up well against a DDD at that percent.

:45 I would use dash attack as a punishment tool rather than to follow up. Its to easily punished. A well spaced aerial or needles would have been a better choice.

1:10 you should have killed him with usmash why use bair? o.o

1:18 an aerial approach is fine, but space it well or cross up so you don't get grabbed. Bair would have been a better option to avoid the grab. or needles.

1:23 You should really have killed him. Instead of bair, nair. It kills. And instead of fsmash dsmash it also kills and is actually reliable. nair and dsmash would have killed him like 20 percent ago. Don't let ppl live this long.

1:40 don't attack sheild with dash attack. >.>

1:58 rapid jab is not that unpunishable. Chill with the spam. You know what is pretty good though? dsmash! Do it! lol

2:10 stop giving him free shield grabs with fair approaches. >.< seriously, needlez

2:24 see above

2:34 too low a percent to pumel. just throw.

2:45 finish ftilt locks with nair, ultilt or w/e but don't just let them get out. Know when and how they are going to escape and answer accordingly.

2:46 don't throw out running usmash at this percent. Its a waste even if it does hit since you just decayed your best kill move.

2:50 ALWAYS short hop before chain. It simply makes the chain better in every way.

lol

3:03 don't fish for moves so agreesively. If you keep doing the same move (and missing) they'll notice and punish you. Even if getting a grab would get you 50 percent (and in this case it gets you like 10 lol) don't go for it so desperately, just let the opportunity present itself.

3:08 rapid jabs are just not that good. you get punished for them. 2 jabs-> crouch-> grab. Much more reliable, safe, and effective.

3:15 I don't remember a successful throw this game. sheik's pummels are not that fast. chill with those and just throw especially under 50 percent.

3:16 jab is safer after grab release then ftilt. And ftilting shields ain't safe shield pressure. I already said what you should do for shield pressure.

3:22 more getting punished for sh fair on DDD's shield

3:24 yay, you got the fair! But why fsmash? ftilt would have been a safer follow up and also resulted in much more damage looking at DDD's percent.

3:35 don't waste the usmash if it won't kill. Use nair instead or if you prefer it, utilt.

3:45 punish! with anything! Don't run!

3:59 when someone is on lag on a platform on bf at that percent you upsmash. its a guaranteed tipper and in that case a guaranteed kill.

4:19 some more getting punished for a blatantly unsafe approach on DDD. and DDD could have killed you for this with bthrow. I'm guessing this guy doesn't main DDD?

4:23 if that was intentional you should have started it higher obviously. If not: lol.

4:42 I told you dsmash kills. lol

Overview: MOAR NEEDLEZ!!!1 Seriously needle more. You don't really have to approach DDD, make him approach you. Also use needles more to punish instead of following up with things like dash attack as it is safer, more damaging, and easier to hit with. Off stage needles set up for great gimps too. Short hop fair is not the safest approach so replace it with bair or nair(? I remember hearing autocancled nair to jab on shield is unpunishable). walking and jabbing is good, but if you're going to rapid jab it kind of defeats the purpose of such a safe approach. Follow up ftilts better according to the percent, di, weight, etc and learn what percents you should be using it at, because you used it a lot just at all the wrong times. Learn how to use DACUS (light is an amazing reference for this) as in learn how to space with it and when it is safe to punish with it (air dodges, aerial lag, general lag).

Do me a favor and tell the DDD about bair. Its too good. XD

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Wow, that's the first Dedede I've ever seen who doesn't know how to KO.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
Wow, that's the first Dedede I've ever seen who doesn't know how to KO.
Not my problem, lol

Thanks Rathy. I want to know though, are needles an actually a viable move for gimping? I know it was in melee, but in brawl with the decreased hitstun I can say that I've never seen a sheik gimp someone in brawl using needles. Are there any videos?

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
aerial needles to fair is pretty common. And even if it doesn't gimp it still makes your opponents life harder and adds damage with no danger so its a good idea anyway. Just a better option than edgeguarding with fair, nair, etc when you know your opponent can just outrange you like marth. =/ Anyone know of any vids with needles assisting a gimp?

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if its in the videos I'm about to put here but I have a couple where I use needles to help secure a gimp.
Once they're finished uploading I'm putting them up

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
watch me vs gameophile for needle gimp

other vids are of me vs rich brown who is on socals pr

vs kirby http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZI4HW56xf4&feature=channel_page
vs olimar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxah-gClVvU&feature=channel
vs marth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEkbgDm57FQ&feature=channel
vs gameophiles game and watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcD0xBorTtw&feature=channel

critiques are welcome!

also there are gonna be plenty more tomorrow against rich browns snake and some unknown socal players lol

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
i noticed you dont space at all . you like sit in one place and ftilt. then roll when you want to, to mix it up i guess. your spot dodges are kind of ok when you predict there attack. you need to take advantage of the foxtrots, shield dashing. and move around . thats what makes sheik a a mindfuk. you need to not ftilt as your first move. use needles more and then ftilt. and then ftilt to fair if you see it. i honestly dont like your style. well your new too sheik so i wouldn't blame ya

Top Bottom