• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
Updated April 16th. Added the Tutorial and Information Video section.

If you guys know of Informative videos that should be there, PM them to me.

Also if you guys would again please help me out, if you have been thinking of a video that you feel should be added to the Reputable Player's section, please please please PM it to me. That way we can start to go over some of the better videos and fill that section up.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
So basically run away and laser constantly? Because that doesn't work.
no, the fox should use his superior spacing tools force approaches and punish with grabs and combos... "combos"

fox should never approach directly in this match up. not like the fox ankoku was playing, jumping in with dair isn't going to work on a competent falcon, why would it be effective versus sheik. I guess I was saying...

Lazer is such a good pressure/damage tool and it really does force approaches.
and since...

Fox is as fast as you and has a ridiculous grab range and can build up damage oh so fast. Up smash *****, Usmash out of shield? more ****.
Playing defensively verus sheik is so much more rewarding for fox. Shieks aerial approaches; the way most sheik's approach; get eatten alive by fox in the air and on the ground.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
despite all I said fox purty easy. Just have to pay a lot of attention and always expect shine stalls, drill leads to kills and/or big damage. Just don't expect a fox to give you an ftilt lock to usmash.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Hi everyone. I just now got around to uploading some replays.
Both of these are from today and I need your opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-X1dVnL1L8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSFuZTLrmYA&feature=channel_page

What I can see that needs improved are.

More grabs (so I get less punishment), I need to cancel my Jabs into grabs, more chain (and chain used well), better use of the DACUS and most importantly.. "NO MORE STUPID MISTAKES!!!" It cost me the match versus the Link. -.- Maybe a little more f-tilt lock.

So what do you see wrong and do you agree with the above? Furter more... how can I accomplish the above?

ty

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
I've only taken a look at the first one : x

Stop using your roll as your main means of transportation. Running and walking places leaves you much less vulnerable than the ending lag from your roll.

Don't run into pain. There were times, I believe one example was around 1:07 and 1:08 where Link DACUSed and you had just jumped up from the ledge and just fell on his attack.

Short-hop and autocancel attacks. I noticed whenever you jumped it was always a full jump. Short-hopping is just overall safer and more helpful. Practice it [I suggest using the X or Y button to do it] and eventually it'll become second nature.

Space your back airs. I'm nto sure if it's possible to do them safely because of Link's sword but every time you did one, you would land right next to link and he'd smasck you with his blade.

I'm all for experimenting with the chain, but using it off the ledge when link was holding the ledge, ultimately costing you your second stock was just a bad idea. Use your better judgement in situations like this.

*Peppy's Voice* "Use DACUS wisely!" The first Dacus you threw out was when your opponent was at 0%. Sure it's a great surprise factor, but it's more effective when they have higher percents and don't see the death coming.

Yeah, like you said forward tilt more.

Your rampant use of the Forward Smash is not such a great idea. It's easily punished.

Basically play more, you'll get better with time.

P.S. do you use a gamecube controller?
P.P.S. Your opponent Doop Walks o_O that just strikes me a weird.

clowsui

Smash Legend
saviors you need to stop thinking in terms of moves and thinking in terms of your playstyle

you're not zoning correctly vs the link + you have lots of bad habits

that's really all i got from those matches, i'm too tired to dissect them right now so i'll do it tomorrow maybe

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Keeping it very short...

You roll way too much. Learn to limit rolling to like 3 times per match is a good goal. You have better evasion options.

You run into stupid stuff. Bad body placement.

You fail to punish/follow up often.

saviorslegacy

Okay thanks everyone for the help.

BTW East, I meant to perform Vanish... not Chain. It was an "oops".

So basically.. play more and learn from experience? You told me pretty much what I thought was wrong. After trying to fix them and applying what I see in videos. Then I should set.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
KEARN THE RANGE of your moves. You should know when you are going to hit and when you aren't. You do a lot of guess work with falling nairs and junk. all of your movements should be very purposeful and acurate.

REACT sheik is too fast to really pre plan situations. If one hit connects you are going to have to follow that attack up with something different than before 9 times out of 10.

STOP ROLLING, PERIOD! shiek has a purty bad roll overall. you can move faster walking than you can rolling. And that said you do what a lot of people do, when ever you feel threatened by your opponents proximity you seem to roll or air dodge. most opponents are slow enough that you can react to their attacks and more often than not if you don't like how close your opponent is to you simply walking away is the better option since it opens up bair as a fast possibility.

MORE NEEDLES!! That move is so good, DACUS does what 21 damage?... oh no wait.. thats up smash... needles fully charged do 18 and they are so easy to connect with on opponents who like to jump a lot and use laggy moves in the air like link. Well timed needles will always connect since your opponent can't block when they land so keep that in mind.

Spacing though is the most important thing in this game, it kind of goes back to knowing your ranges, but it's important that you try to attack with minimal risk to yourself. shiek is lucky and has a lot of really good pokes, bair, fair, jab, ftilt are all really good so make sure you learn your ranges!!! dtilt fair and espeacially bair are also awesome for shield stabbing presuring shields with needles and aerials will more often than not net you a free hit you opponent can not block.

keep playing with these thing in mind and you'll get better and make sure the people you are playing with are trying to progress you don't want to get too comfortable winning to the point where you are no longer progressing.

Villi

Smash Lord
Yarly, walking forward then back a little is a great way to bait whiffs. Just moving forward in general makes people do things, so take little mental notes of what happens when you touch their danger zone (I need an adult!) and check how predictable they are when you're near 0%. Good investment even if you have to take a hit/dash attack/phantasm.

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
Ill be having videos up monday like 12 maybe of me vs fiction and me vs some randoms

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
Ive got some Video's Id like Critiqued.

But the problem is... Due to my situation. All my videos are either Online, in bad lag.

Or aginst CPU's :p

You guys dont have any problems critiquing my Compy matches right? :)
K, good.

These are all Vs Snake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6zsPYGyZ5w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwNNr7pXGKc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQKke3HWmEM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHIIXodeyxQ

They're all really short. around 40 seconds or so.

What Im looking for is just for people to point out ANY mistakes they see, that the CPU didnt punish.
Anything I use aginst CPU that wouldnt fly aginst a human.
Or just plain anything I could have done better.

Also, Probably no reason to archhive this, since its just aginst CPU's.

Ill also critique Ankoku vs. Anther after I watch them.
I also main Pika in addition to sheik :p

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord

Chain, almost every attack you got wouldn't fly against a real snake. A real person and a CPU are very different. A CPU doesn't DI away from you, always comes towards you, never uses mindgames or baits attacks, rarely grabs, doesn't punish and won't edgeguard you properly.

I see no point critiquing against a CPU unless you're going to a CPU tourney.

Being able to survive a CPU in survival mode proves nothing. If anything it will make you worse, because you'll think a real snake will act the same way. Even if you know the difference, subconciously your muscle memory will screw with you and get you punished.

I don't recommend playing against a CPU with your main, and especially not as a significant match.

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280

Chain, almost every attack you got wouldn't fly against a real snake. A real person and a CPU are very different. A CPU doesn't DI away from you, always comes towards you, never uses mindgames or baits attacks, rarely grabs, doesn't punish and won't edgeguard you properly.

I see no point critiquing against a CPU unless you're going to a CPU tourney.

Being able to survive a CPU in survival mode proves nothing. If anything it will make you worse, because you'll think a real snake will act the same way. Even if you know the difference, subconciously your muscle memory will screw with you and get you punished.

I don't recommend playing against a CPU with your main, and especially not as a significant match.
Telling me playing CPU's Isn't a good Idea doesn't really help me, The situation is more or less 'Play CPUs, or don't play at all.' I already know how much they fail, Ive been training aginst them for a long time. ( in fact, about 2/3 of my play time is aginst cpu's, It kinda sucks. but thats the way it is. )

Playing CPU's Will leave gaping holes in my playstyle, its true.
But having people critique my sheik would be a huge help in compensating for them.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Whilst I'll obviously take the typical 'CPUs are bad' view, I appreciate your situation. What I will say however is if I'm going to critique a CPU, make it against one of the more 'intelligent' ones, like Pikachu. It's still nowhere near as useful as against a person, but it's slightly better then the gimptacular Snake CPU.

saviorslegacy

Whilst I'll obviously take the typical 'CPUs are bad' view, I appreciate your situation. What I will say however is if I'm going to critique a CPU, make it against one of the more 'intelligent' ones, like Pikachu. It's still nowhere near as useful as against a person, but it's slightly better then the gimptacular Snake CPU.
LMAO! Also the fact that if you are Snake you'll never lose to a CPU. SNAKE FOR HIGH TIER FOR CPU'S!
Hmmm... I thought they were all the same kind of stupid. Never knew that a Pika was a better CPU opponent than most. Is it just because of his moves or what?

iLight

Smash Lord
the best cpu opponents = luigi (other than in regards to his upB), pika, peach, DK, pit and after that IDK.

one time i played in a doubles tournament as ROB teaming with a CPU. I used Peach, Luigi on my team. as long as you protect them and don't get in their way, they do pretty well. lvl 9 luigi CPU on green greens is too hax in teams lol

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
Yeah, Ok. Snake is probably one of the worst CPU's.

I usually would train aginst luigi, peach, or pikachu or sheik ( Sheik's CPU is pretty good as well ). But Ive been failing aginst snakes recently. I wasnt really aware of the range, or duration of his attacks, Resulting in me letting down the sheild, or attacking too soon.
( in short, I really didn't have any experience fighting snakes. )

Also, This is something I dont think many people notice, But the CPU is actually different from what it normally is Stamina and training modes.

I'll try to play some real people, in person this summer break. _X_ Has been bugging me to go to the MA tourny's for months, This summer I might actually be able to go.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Uh... yes, you can do that? By the way, it's much more impressive if you do that consistently. I've had plenty of "once per game" occurrences.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Impressive is an entire game. One stock is a combo video clip.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
U_U Your connection with noodle is better then mine no but seriously man, good ****.

Maybe that will sway some people here about sheik potential.

edit: In the toon link video in the 2nd round because of the lower ceiling on that stage you could do the ftilt into usmash combo at a much lower % then what you were doing.... That's one of the few stages I've tested the differences, I'll show you my numbers when I get home.

Rog~er

Smash Apprentice
why is it that most of the sheiks in these boards have most of their matches either on wifi or against a cpu's? >.>

also, how do you reset sheiks decay other than switching to zelda?

Tristan_win

Not dead.
The game can only remember 9 numbers of decay so...

Start from zero decay from death or start of match

needle storm, Jab, fthrow, fair, ftilt, ftilt, ftilt, ftilt, ftilt and 10, nair. The needles or needle storm will now be fully restored and at full power again.

With that said

decay of 1 currently.
jab
fthrow
fair
nair

decay more then one
ftilt by 5.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Roger i don't care you dont like my video. even though its online. i do just as well in real life. i did a sheik ditto with NEO and all i had was wifi experience and this was friendlies at a tournament.(they were close matches too.) you still can learn the match up online. and you probably do alot better offline too. im sure my sheik would of 3 stocked the mk even if it was offline....

i didn't know you can reset decay with needles. that makes the ftilt usmash game more complex then.(ill test it out) (i actually thought needles contributes to decay)

Resetting Decay
Each AA jab resets a level of decay
AAA jab will reset all decay
haha, that may be so cross but because it's wifi it would be best if you didn't say such things publicly... Since at the end of the day wifi matches are nothing more then friendlies. ~smirks~ wait till Apex to gain some bragging rights.

and all moves go into the decay system if they land expect for a few like Zss nair all of which sheik does not have so no worries.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
woot epic friendlies now.. lets have friendlies. no gay ftilt lock crap. 2 FTILT rule.

I need to do more testing on this decay stuff..

Tristan_win

Not dead.
haha, HEY do you have housing yet? Cross and I were planning to split the bill of the hotel room.

It would be awsome as hell to have a sheik only room, we could share ideas and such...

Top Bottom