• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

iLight

Smash Lord
something i've learned to do in the mk match up, especially if your fighting an mk that is trying to abuse the tornado, i like to make him scared to do it from far away by using needles and then when he trys to start it up close i punish with a sheik grounded upB, its pretty effective if you can predict =]

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Vanish is the silliest, most humiliating, and one of the strongest reversals in the game.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
At COT4 Light for some reason I was able to smash DI out of the tornado and then immediately pierce it with a bair and even a fair once. I've done it multiple times there with the bair though but I've yet to recreate it.

...Has anyone ever tried to beat the tornado with a close range strong bair?

iLight

Smash Lord
another vid from a few days ago

i really dont know what to do vs peach in this match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf5kj_mqtaQ
first off part of the problem is that ninja link is just good as ****

secondly

use nair out of shield alot more as well as needles you will **** up peach something fierce

secondly the way peach spaces aerials makes her really susceptible to well timed dacus sweet spots other than that your spacing was pretty good

you used f-smash at weird moments but then again i barely use it so, and also yeah again use nair alot it will out prioritize or clink with half of peaches aerials, the only one to really watch out for is fair, nair will cancel out peach's dair and hit afterwards so gg

I also would go for a lot more of running powershield to grab or jab setups

good match though

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Steel, overall I just think you should be a LOT more cautious in the Peach matchup. Her aerials, jabs, and tilts have priority over like everything you do, and she can nair out of "combos" that would work on other characters.

You wanna zone her with needles and make SURE your attacks will connect... meaning, you have to hit her at a time where she has some kind of lag after an attack, or grab her when she is shielding. Basically, you still need to be aggressive since she can overpower you if you don't, but you have to space and time all your attacks well.

Peach has a slight advantage, but you can overcome it if you just time it well. To me, this matchup is like... Peach throwing around a bunch of turnips and high priority attacks, and Sheik has to weave in and out with random fairs/bairs/nairs because those aerials are really fast and can actually find openings in Peach's priority.

On the ground, she is susceptible to needles, and when she's floating in the air, she is susceptible to timing aerials or DACUS.

She's hard to deal with if she's using low altitude float aerials or short hop aerials... all of her aerials have very little landing lag. So you might find yourself rolling away a lot if you're trying to be more cautious... but that's okay. The only bad part is that you might get cornered at the ledge a lot, so try to prevent that. Sheik has a good ledge game but it's still hard to get past Peach if she's edge guarding you since she has priority. She can even dair or dsmash you when you're trying to use your ledge game lol... but it's okay, just be watchful and use the best option to get up.

Light is right about nair out of shield :) especially when Peach is using aerials to harass you. It's like "get outta here hoe."

Overall just play it safer, including with Zelda. If you play against Peach a lot more, I think it will become easier and easier to find where her open spots are, because they are there.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
Birthday Matches

So I finally got my friend to play me in matches where we both weren't on random, it wasn't a free for all, or both.

I won a good deal of the matches, but I'm not proud of any of them. For almost the past month I've been playing randoms... [ugh] It's starting to lead me to think I've actually gotten worse with my main...

I have a playlist dedicated to all 14 matches we played, but I don't think you want to see all of them. I picked four I was hoping to have looked over.

Match 4
Match 9 I'm going after Needle of Juntah's record of 2 deaths in 20 seconds...
Match 10
Match 14

Jski

Smash Apprentice
Ever time a zss F smash an angle gets there wings ripped off in the most painful way! Any way you seem to like to down air a lot on sheik do you find that it works out well most of the time?

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Ankoku (Sheik) vs Levitas (Meta Knight) 1 - Pictochat (The only one I watched).

0:13: Why lead into jabs to rapid jab? Why use more then one F Tilt when it's fresh at 0%?
0:23: U Smash would normally be questionable at this percent, but I assume you always intend to transform into Zelda? If so it's a poor mindset.
0:36: Poor DI.
0:43: Weak N Air leads into better options then Dash Attack. You're lucky it wasn't shielded.
0:59: Smart transformation jump, but consider how well MK can U Air wreck Zelda from that high.
1:08: Bad airdodge, but it was hopefully just a mistake.
1:18: Advancing Dins is bad.
1:59: It's always him grabbing you. Sheik has decent grab speed and gets much more damage from the grab on MK then the other way round due to GR U Smash. IIRC, U Smash actually kills at 85% on MK so more incentive to go for it.
2:02: You've used U Tilt to end your last like, four F Tilts. He went too high and you still U Tilted on reaction. N Air.
2:40: Dash Attack still sucks, your opponent just doesn't shield it luckily. It's ok if used occasionally, but you dont.
3:16: Two sets of two F Tilts, neither finished with anything.

General:
- Grab more.
- Dash Attack less.
- Your Zelda's still not up to par, but there's improvement.
- Much less rolling through, good.
- Finish F Tilts with active thinking.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
0:23: U Smash would normally be questionable at this percent, but I assume you always intend to transform into Zelda? If so it's a poor mindset.
Sometimes I hit up a little too quickly and it turns out that my attack was not actually a utilt. I only transform if I've ****ed up my ftilt decay.

0:43: Weak N Air leads into better options then Dash Attack. You're lucky it wasn't shielded.
Lucky what wasn't shielded, the nair or the dash attack? If the dash attack... are you serious?

1:59: It's always him grabbing you. Sheik has decent grab speed and gets much more damage from the grab on MK due to GR U Smash. IIRC, U Smash actually kills at 85% on MK.
lol, hahahaha

3:16: Two sets of two F Tilts, neither finished with anything.
I was fishing for the right decay to lead into usmash, but I couldn't find it. I suck.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
(2:11:30 PM) Ankoku: People need to stop telling me to DACUS
(2:11:33 PM) Ankoku: Won't happen
(2:15:14 PM) Steel2nd: loooool

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
I just picked sheik up the other day would like some feedback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paRU--3yLdk&fmt=18

It wasn't my best performance with sheik but any feed back is welcome.
A few quick pointers.
i'm not going to say f-smash is a bad attack, it has its uses, but it should never be spammed as it is probably on the top 3 most punishable attacks that sheik has.

short hop more, jumping so high is giving away free shield grabs

dont up-smash without the intention to kill or tipper, or at least the intent to get them off the stage. sheik has few kill moves and you are only making it stale. also quite punishable

use sheik's up-b to punish landing lag, it is a gd KO move

sheik has very good aerials, abuse them more, also sheik focuses on keeping the opponent close, so dont keep trying to smash them away at low %

dont f-tilt thin air hoping your opponent will jump into the attack, f-tilts should be set up with jabs/f-airs etc.

at awkward angles and in most cases, use the chain.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
A few quick pointers.
i'm not going to say f-smash is a bad attack, it has its uses, but it should never be spammed as it is probably on the top 3 most punishable attacks that sheik has.

short hop more, jumping so high is giving away free shield grabs

dont up-smash without the intention to kill or tipper, or at least the intent to get them off the stage. sheik has few kill moves and you are only making it stale. also quite punishable

use sheik's up-b to punish landing lag, it is a gd KO move

sheik has very good aerials, abuse them more, also sheik focuses on keeping the opponent close, so dont keep trying to smash them away at low %

dont f-tilt thin air hoping your opponent will jump into the attack, f-tilts should be set up with jabs/f-airs etc.

at awkward angles and in most cases, use the chain.
Alright thanks for the feedback.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
At COT4 Light for some reason I was able to smash DI out of the tornado and then immediately pierce it with a bair and even a fair once. I've done it multiple times there with the bair though but I've yet to recreate it.

...Has anyone ever tried to beat the tornado with a close range strong bair?

lol on wifi some how i beat a tornado with close range strong bair and a fair.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
one of the things I love about shiek is that with shiek MK's tornado becomes a joke. needles and chain are too good

iLight

Smash Lord
Pretty good ankoku, the last stock what I would have done differently when you had fox in that tilt lock at the edge would have been to end it with a fair, probably would have killed him. Nice dacus to the ledge, i love doing that. Also when your fighting fox, if you hit with a jab, you can go jab f-tilt jab f-tilt and from there just lock him. And when theyre at 100% you can still wait a moment for them to end up above you, you don't have to throw out your u-smash right away.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
^ Where was the dacus? >_>

I would know without even watching the vid that he didn't use dacus.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
I'll update this tomorrow. If you guys could do me a favor, take 1 video that really stands out in your mind [of a sheik doing well against any character]. We're going to start filling out that Reputable Players Section. I'd really appreciate your guys' help with it. If you decide to, thank you.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
id like to promote that video that ankoku just posted here, granted its against a fox but its a very strong showcasing of why fox should never fight sheik
Mmm.... I don't know about that. I play a good fox main often, and granted while I win about 90% of those matches fox is nothing to shake a stick at. Fox is as fast as you and has a ridiculous grab range and can build up damage oh so fast. Up smash *****, Usmash out of shield? more ****.
Lazer is such a good pressure/damage tool and it really does force approaches. If that fox was taking more care to stay put of ftilt range and apply presure with lazers that match could have went very very differently.
I think there is a video up of Ankoku getting beat by that same fox.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Nah, I've lost a few games to Bowyer's Fox as Peach and Marth, but I only played one game as Sheik against it.

Top Bottom