• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simon freaking Belmont

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
My logic has always been "most Nintendo" for deciding between third party characters. I think what Sakurai intended was to pick ones that have appeared on Nintendo platforms AND, at some point in time, have been considered a part of Nintendo. Simon was, for all intensive purposes, a "Nintendo character" for many years. Trevor and all the others popped up later in the years, but Simon was the only one who everybody could recall by name, and who appeared in the most games.

I love Sypha and Alucard as much as the next guy, but Simon's the better rep for overall nostalgia and connections to Nintendo.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Plus I doubt the development team wopuld be willing to make four movesets for one character unless it was a first party cahracter [like MM link] Even then the transformations would probably have but a limited quantity of attacks. Really though, Alucard is basically in the same position as Snake. He had his humble beginnings on the NES, but wasn't really big until the PSX.

Still, Simon was on the Captain N TV show along with Megaman, which basically makes him a character strongly affiliated with Nintendo.

meteorstorm42

Smash Apprentice
Ever considered assigning more than one move to B?
Like Peach's side smash, he could use the dagger or axe if you press B.
(So he has an Up-B that works like a recovery move.)

EmperorCesar

Smash Apprentice
Its funny how I was listening to "Theme of Simon Belmont" as I discovered this topic. Simon rules, hes one of my favorite characters ever and I would love to play as him in Brawl.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I just thought this up while remembering playing Super Castlevania IV: What if Simon could make use of his whip to grap opponents and to grap onto ledges ala Link's Hookshot and Samus' Grappling Beam?

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
FlipTroopa said:
I actually have him grabbing opponents with it in my moveset, but grabbing ledges? Interesting... :p
Oops... guess I overlooked that part. But yeah, Simon can use his whip in Super Castlevania IV much like Samus used her Grappling Beam in Super Metroid, where he would hang from a post and swing back and forth using the D-Pad to increase jump distance. I see it might be tricky to implement, since there's really not anything on the ledges usually to wrap around, but maybe if he has the chain whip with the flail end, it could work just like the hookshot and stick... :p

Serp

Smash Cadet
Lord_Deathborne said:
I just thought this up while remembering playing Super Castlevania IV: What if Simon could make use of his whip to grap opponents and to grap onto ledges ala Link's Hookshot and Samus' Grappling Beam?

Someone already mentioned that. I think it's a great idea, but it's argued that it wouldn't work since there's no spike at the end. But you could have it be his morning star which has a spikey ball at the tip. Just makes me wonder why Sheik's chain doesn't work like that then, its' essentially the same as a whip don't you agree? (The mechanics, not the physical aspect)

meteorstorm42

Smash Apprentice
I agree with the morning star idea.

lol, I don't think Sheik needs any more advantages...
She (he?) is one of my mains, and I think has one of the best recovery moves in the game, so...
But yeah, nothing on the end of the whip to grab the edge with, so good idea with the morning star.

Serp

Smash Cadet
meteorstorm42 said:
I agree with the morning star idea.

lol, I don't think Sheik needs any more advantages...
She (he?) is one of my mains, and I think has one of the best recovery moves in the game, so...
But yeah, nothing on the end of the whip to grab the edge with, so good idea with the morning star.

lol, yeah, Sheik, Samus, and Marth i'm all equally good with, and I agree that Sheik has it good enough so I'm not worried about her chain not sticking, I have Samus when I want to be "Flashy"
But also, her chain does have the physics of the latest Whips in Castlevania, just hold the button down and press a direction... so that MIGHT conflict with simon, he could end up being a Sheik clone?

Roew

Smash Apprentice
I have an idea on how to use all his holy weapons. Use the dpad, left right button to switch between the cross holy water etc.. His special I think should be the holy cross. If you've ever played SOTN, you'd know what it'd look like. Either that or the INCREDIBLY broken holy water storm.

I love Alucard out of all the castlevania chars but I say put in Simon or the other richters. At least put in a costume so you can look like Julius :).

xianfeng

Smash Hero
If he was in he wouldn't be allowed to use holy water or anything with the word holy in it or the catholics would complain, have you ever wondered why the teletubbies dissapeared for a long time.

Shark X

Smash Lord
Those idiots disappeared?

Why would they complain? Movies use Holy Water all the time. Did they complain for Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Did they complain for any of the Castlevania games?

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Shark X said:
Those idiots disappeared?

Why would they complain? Movies use Holy Water all the time. Did they complain for Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Did they complain for any of the Castlevania games?
Never underestimate religiosos in their quests for the "Righting" of video games. In CV3 they got a crucifix removed, and in CV2, they got the in-game name of holy water changed to "Fire Bomb." SSBB, as a very visible game with no overtly religious themes, is actually very suceptible.

Of note however: This only really applies to the US. The rest of the world gets most of the Religious stuff (if they get a game at all, hur hur).

Edit: Oh also edited were many Topless statues across the series, and several times was the Medusa boss "Covered up."

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Shark X said:
Makes no since. I'm a christain, and I'd love to splash some Holy Water in Pichu's face and watch that unholy monster melt back into hell where it came from >.>
Yes, but you're not Jerry Falwell or Jack Thompson. You have to be christian AND crazy, remember.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Yeah, and the catholics wonder why people hate them.

He could still have the holy water so long as it wasn't explicity called Holy Water. Something like Combustion Vial would fit just as well. That way the players in the know would still call it holy water, and the Catholics can get their jollies by ruining the world for everyone...as they've always done.

What's wrong with perverting the Catholic religion, a religion bent on destroying all others. Hell it deserves to be mocked.

God, I hate Political Correctness.

Roew

Smash Apprentice
Resting_Fox said:
Yeah, and the catholics wonder why people hate them.

He could still have the holy water so long as it wasn't explicity called Holy Water. Something like Combustion Vial would fit just as well. That way the players in the know would still call it holy water, and the Catholics can get their jollies by ruining the world for everyone...as they've always done.

What's wrong with perverting the Catholic religion, a religion bent on destroying all others. Hell it deserves to be mocked.

God, I hate Political Correctness.
I'm not trying to be a **** and I'm not assuming that you're not aware, just a reminder you know, but it's not a good idea to be bashing religions here where there is alot of ******* on it, because everyone is going to be jumping all over your scrot about it and might get the thread locked. I'm an Atheist as well so I'm definetely not trying to defend catholisism in any way shape or form.

I REALLY hope simon belmont or hell, any castlevania character ends up in brawl.

kaid

Smash Master
[completely unbiased 3rd party character rant]
Sakura has said Snake plus 1-2 more 3rd party characters in brawl.

Sonic, of course takes top priority. Yuji Naka wants him in, Miamoto wants him in, and the fans want Sonic Vs. Mario.

For the last optional slot, I see the competition as between Megaman, Simon, and Geno, with Sora as the dark horse canidate. (wait for it, there's a couple reasons later on...)

Megaman is older than Sonic, is in at least one game a year for the past 20, and is completely platform agnostic (well, other than X-box... but they don't count). In short, if you play video games, you know who Megaman is.

Simon Belmount reps the Castelvania series, and is just as old as Megaman, but Castlevania is not as prolific, and recently other characters like Alucard and Soma Cruz have been stealing the limelight.

Geno is a cult classic closely associated with Mario. The lack of name reconition outside the fanbase makes it just the sort of off-the-wall, "who is THAT?" type character Sakurai seems to adore.

And Sora. Despite having no connection to Nintendo worth mentioning, Sora is a Square creation with plenty of fans (and even more yaoi-loving fangirls) who would do anything for the next game with him. By nabing him from Sony, Nintendo gets a Wii from all those PS2 fans who cant afford a PS3 yet. And kicking Sony in the balls is a solid buisness move.
[/completely unbiased 3rd party character rant]

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
They can still call it Holy Water... The Cross is the big problem. In some 'Vania games, it had to become a Boomerang :laugh:

Nintendo likes to play it very very safe. They changed a lot of Pokemon attacks and abilities too (Heaven's Blessing = Serene Grace, for one), because they wanted to avoid offending people. And Blood Falcon's car became the Bloodhawk, instead of the much cooler sounding Hell Hawk. And we can't forget Birdo, who they used to joke was a ****** (but wasn't in Japan), but then freaked out to correct themselves. Oy.

kaid said:

Sonic, of course takes top priority. Yuji Naka wants him in, Miamoto wants him in, and the fans want Sonic Vs. Mario.

For the last optional slot, I see the competition as between Megaman, Simon, and Geno, with Sora as the dark horse canidate. (wait for it, there's a couple reasons later on...)

Megaman is older than Sonic, is in at least one game a year for the past 20, and is completely platform agnostic (well, other than X-box... but they don't count). In short, if you play video games, you know who Megaman is.

Simon Belmount reps the Castelvania series, and is just as old as Megaman, but Castlevania is not as prolific, and recently other characters like Alucard and Soma Cruz have been stealing the limelight.

Geno is a cult classic closely associated with Mario. The lack of name reconition outside the fanbase makes it just the sort of off-the-wall, "who is THAT?" type character Sakurai seems to adore.

And Sora. Despite having no connection to Nintendo worth mentioning, Sora is a Square creation with plenty of fans (and even more yaoi-loving fangirls) who would do anything for the next game with him. By nabing him from Sony, Nintendo gets a Wii from all those PS2 fans who cant afford a PS3 yet. And kicking Sony in the balls is a solid buisness move.
You're doing a great service, but I need to remind you of something: Sora is a Disney property, not Square. A lot of people forget this fact. Not saying he's impossible, but that definitely dashes his likelihood just enough. Also, he is more prevalently known for the Playstation KH games (outside of the KH fanbase, few have heard of the GBA title), and thus would be more advertising for Sony than anything.

Bomberman, Bonk, and Goemon are also likely contenders. The reasons have been given many times before. But this is a Simon Belmont topic, so I won't go into that :p

Shark X

Smash Lord
Well Yuji has no say in Sonic anymore. This is the one time thats a bad thing...

True on Megaman.

Sadly right about Simon.

Although Sora would be a good business idea, Sora is still a bad idea, and I'm sure Nintendo realise that. I personally hate Sora (liked him slightly more in KH2, but not by much), but this isn't just my opinion. People hate enough that Snake is in the game. Imagine all the hate Nintendo will receive if Sora (or Cloud or Sephiroth) makes it in.

Now unless Nintendo can get the Kingdom Hearts series to move to Wii, I don't see it happening. And if they do, I can see a Nintendo styled KH in the future O.o Sora in the worlds of Hyrule, Mario World, Pokeland, Dreamland, Cornaria, and Brimstar O.o

Roew

Smash Apprentice
kaid said:

your post number is 1337, you are forbidden to post now BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Anyway, if sonic were to be placed in the game, do you think it'd make sense if he were faster than captain falcon? :D

EDIT: Just figured I'd throw out some move sets on what i'd like to see. D-Pad to cycle through the sub weapons, knife, axe, holy water, cross etc.. knife would be like falco's laser of doom, either that or like sheiks needles. For example, hold the b button to charge to make the knife have a knockback effect but alot slower like falcos laser, or if you wanna spam it like crazy kind of like foxes blaster, just tap the b button as fast as you can to rack up the damage on to apply pressure. Axe could be kinda like yoshi's egg throwing. Holy water could be like the trajectory of G@W's sausage, and the water itself could go through shield whores if they happen to be shielding while the water is still expanding but does more damage and knockback if you actually hit them with the holy water bottle. Can also be used for edge guarding purposes. Cross can act a bit like links boomerang except a little stronger but doesn't have the same benefits in terms variable trajectory but can go through some items, unlike links boomerang. I'm very unsure about the clock though to be honest. I was thinking that it could be used for recovery purposes, like for example, simon gets knocked away from the stage and then switches to the clock and activates it to slow himself down, making him have more control over himself in the air or to make him a bit floaty, making it easier to come back alive to the stage.

His Up+B recovery would be the knife uppercut seen in Richter mode in SOTN. It'd be similar to Marth's recovery but he has just sliiiiiightly more horizonal range to return back to the stage with. Whip recovery ala link style is pretty obvious. And finally, the Down+B attack. Right now, I have no idea of what to think of to add for a Down+B attack for him, so I'll come back to this.

Thought of another recovery move for simon, the blade dash (Forward+B) for horizonal recovery, kind of like fox illusion except much cooler and stronger and can go through certain attacks but is a bit slower in execution than foxes Forward+B

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Shark X said:
Now unless Nintendo can get the Kingdom Hearts series to move to Wii, I don't see it happening. And if they do, I can see a Nintendo styled KH in the future O.o Sora in the worlds of Hyrule, Mario World, Pokeland, Dreamland, Cornaria, and Brimstar O.o
Wow. My sister actually had a few dreams of just that: it was called "Kingdom Spades". There was also more representation from the FFi-VI crowd. I sounded like fun - Not gonna happen though... And yes, including the likes of Sora or Cloud would infuriate many Nintendo fanboys - but it won't stop them from buying the game now will it?

At any rate, back on topic: Simon for SSBB!

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Shark X said:
Wouldn't Kevin (I.E. Captain N) make a better main character than Sora? Afterall, his show was pretty much KH crossed with SSB a decade before either of those were concieved!

Shark X

Smash Lord
Yes he would, but Nintendo hasn't thought about it yet (wow, almost as stupid as Sonic Team), then it's obvious they never will. Closest we got in SSB.

Honestly, I thought a KH style game with Captain N (which I thought of way before KH ever existed) would be awesome. But Nintendo despises Captain N, so that'll never happen.

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman
Butchering several of the NES' franchises tends to do that to one of the main companies you're butchering. Ironically, Simon's one of the worst victims of CaptainNButcherizationitis.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Shark X said:
Simon? I thought Megaman was the worse O.o I don't remember Ganon, Samus, or Ridley in it. So I can't judge them.
Ganon and Ridley were absent, and Samus was in the comic books to replace the 3rd party characters they couldn't get comic book rights to. She was also either a man or a cyborg, either way, they ***** her just as hard as Pit (My pick for worst butchering, by the way-icus), Megaman, and Simon.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Why are we fighting over who sucked the most in that aweful, aweful series? And the Captian N DVDs are coming soon. :) Teh horrorz!!!!!1111!!one!1!1!

Shark X

Smash Lord
Well lets see, Samus the cyborg man, Megaman, the green ****** ****** who's only vocabulary in 'Mega', Pit who -icus, Donkey who was made into a King Kong wanna be with an additude, Simon who was made into a vain gay male, Motherbrain who was made...someone else fill this in.

So out of all this, who was the worse? >.>

I thought I read Ganon was the secondary main bad guy of the show.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Shark X said:
Well lets see, Samus the cyborg man, Megaman, the green ****** ****** who's only vocabulary in 'Mega', Pit who -icus, Donkey who was made into a King Kong wanna be with an additude, Simon who was made into a vain gay male, Motherbrain who was made...someone else fill this in.

So out of all this, who was the worse? >.>

I thought I read Ganon was the secondary main bad guy of the show.
He might have been, but Mother Brain's henchmen were Eggplant Wizard, and King Hippo. They might have brought in Ganon in the Link episodes. Also, I believe they brought in Dracula for some of the simon-centric episodes (As well as Sypha, re-cast as an old, bearded man).

icymatt

Smash Lord
Yes, Ganon was the main villain in the first episode featuring Link and Zelda (teaming up with Mother Brain and the crew, and then blasting them after regaining his power). He was pretty faithful in appearance.

Ridley or any other Metroid character aside from Mother Brain never appeared on the show. They even called Mother Brain's home planet 'Metroid'.

And Samus was female in the Captain N comic.

You can look it all up here.

Top Bottom