• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simon freaking Belmont

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
icymatt said:
Yes, Ganon was the main villain in the first episode featuring Link and Zelda (teaming up with Mother Brain and the crew, and then blasting them after regaining his power). He was pretty faithful in appearance.

Ridley or any other Metroid character aside from Mother Brain never appeared on the show. They even called Mother Brain's home planet 'Metroid'.

And Samus was female in the Captain N comic.

You can look it all up here.
Sorry, I guess I was wrong about Samus's gender in Cap. N. I was thinking of an old Instruction booklet, I think, Where she is a cyborg, and they refer to hher as "him"

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Come on guys. Captain N wasn't so bad - in fact I really liked it (maybe because I belong to the late NES generation...). If you want a bad video game based cartoon, check out the Mega Man cartoon of the mid-1990s. I actually liked that show too, but episodes like the infamous "Curse of the Lionmen" was inexcusably terrible...

MikaRabidKitsune

Smash Journeyman
Why are we fighting over who sucked the most in that aweful, aweful series? And the Captian N DVDs are coming soon. :) Teh horrorz!!!!!1111!!one!1!1!
HEY! I LOVE THAT SHOW!!! .\/.*** Just becuase it wasn't some emo drama with super pretty boys on crack doesn't mean it didn't have it's moments.

You have to realize that the show came out before before any one really knew what the characters EXACTLY looked like. Plus the artist where using their imaginations and having fun with characters.

I mean yeah MegaMan was a green shortie with a frog voice but he still pwn'd in that show. Simon was a dork but it made the show funny to watch.

Ok as for Simon Belmont being in SSBB , I'd love it!

Simon hasn't been getting the love he deserves. It would be great to see him back in action!

^^ SIMON BELMONT FTW!

I really doebt he will be in the game because of 1 major reason:

Since there is limited 3rd party space,not many 3rd party companies will get representation.And Konami has already got representation in brawl,so it wouldn't be fair if Konami got more representation than other companies,so it's only logical to keep all the
representation equal.A majority of people want the 3rd parties ike this.

1.Konami(Snake)
2.Sega(Sonic)

3rd: Capcom(Megaman) Square-enix(??)I'm not gonna mention Geno,despite what people say,is ods are actually minimal due to the fact that there are many and way better square-enix characters than geno(*sigh*Only if Valkyrie Profile was on a Nintendo Consol....)

Thats my 2 cents.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
I'd be fine with any Belmont, honestly.

And after seeing his 80s-metal outfit a second time, I'm not too sure that including Leon Belmont wouldn't be a bad idea either.

But yes, Simon Belmont 4TW.

Buddha Fett

Smash Cadet
I think Simon would make a pretty cool addition to Brawl, what with the whips and everything. He could even use those secondary weapons for B attacks, or something along those lines.

so yeah, simon ftw.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Meh... I'd prefer Simon over those guys... Although Soma's the second most likely character, with Alucard in third. (Also I realise that Alucard is more important to the series overall, but Symphony of the Night was on the PSX and all of his appearences on Nintendo platforms was as a support character, not the starring role...)

MikaRabidKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NOOOOO! Simon first! Simon first! ::stomps into childlish tantrum:: I-WANT-SIMON!!!!!!!!!!! NOW!!!!

Ok enough of that, but Simon before anyone else cause he's the ORIGINAL kicker of Dracula's @$$.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
If they really wanted to push for the whole "Advertisement" thing, they could put Soma in.

Honestly, if they make another Castlevania game between now and Fall 07, the new character's got just as much chance as Simon Belmont. (Probably Soma Cruz.)

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Hell yeah that's Simon. And let's not forget that Simon, like Snake, has already appeared in the SSB-esque game DreamMix TV World Fighters for the GC and PS2 in Japan. Here's some images from that game:

Interestingly enough , I found that Snake plays fairly similarly to how he did same game, which supports my theory that his build in that game provided a base for that of his Brawl incarnation - granted he's been built up FAR beyond that in SSBB. Could we expect the same for Simon (and perhaps Bomberman, who was also in that game)? At any rate, here's a video I found, which also shows Simon (but he loses... :( ): http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5755168500935946899&q="Dream+Mix"

100links

Smash Ace
You quoted my premature post ( It's no big deal - it's just it's so... crappy >.<). At any rate, did you see what I added? What say you?
hmm...that <a href="http://www.smashboards.com/?page=video">video</a> reminds me of coin melee (or whatever) >.o plus was that.....SNAKE!?

edit:HOLY CRAP!!! did snake just just set down a mine?...i didnt really see if he picked it up....

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
hmm...that <a href="http://www.smashboards.com/?page=video">video</a> reminds me of coin melee (or whatever) >.o plus was that.....SNAKE!?

edit:HOLY CRAP!!! did snake just just set down a mine?...i didnt really see if he picked it up....
Yup. I think we just might see something of that sort in Brawl. At any rate, using Sanke as an example, do you think this makes Simon's chances at least viable (And maybe Bomberman as well)?

100links

Smash Ace
Yup. I think we just might see something of that sort in Brawl. At any rate, using Sanke as an example, do you think this makes Simon's chances at least viable (And maybe Bomberman as well)?
i see the mine thing as a v-B...and maybe he could trow a mine with < or >B and it will stick to anything (like a character) and it deals 7% damage?

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Simon Belmont DOES look like a badass...but keep in mind this includes a couple factors.

A - he looks like a model for an 80s metal band.
B - he doesn't look anything like that in the game he's famous for.
C - Just about any other Belmont - even a brand new one would work just fine.

So, yeah. I'm hopeful, but it's alot more likely they'll do things Roy style. Drop in a character from an upcoming game around fall 07.

Mestro

Smash Journeyman
Simon Belmont!

Simon should be in this game! We all know he has been in the Dream Mix TV, it's similar to SSB, and it was Snake too, so that's an advantage.

I was thinking in the moves of Simon.

A:Whip
B:Sword
Up+B or A: Axe
Forward+B or A: Cross
Down+B or A: Holy Water
Back+B or A: Dagger
Special Power: The idea of the clock was great, but my idea is mmm... do you remember the holy cross attack in Symphony? the one who attacks with a crucifix. That one could be great or maybe throw daggers like Richter or Johnathan?

Another castlevania character could be Alucard. And the attacks I don't know..
A: Alucard Sword
B: Alucard Shield
Up+B or A: I don't know
Forward+B or A: Hell Fire (three balls)
Down+B or A: I don't know
Back+B or A: I don't know
Special Power: Mmm.. Soul Absorb, something like that, the attack from symphony of the night

But Please Simon Belmont and/or Alucard should be in this game :chuckle:

BTW: this is my first post in here :chuckle:

parrothead

Smash Lord
In Captain N: The Game Master, he looks like a combination of a pilot and one of Nintendo's most obscure and overlooked characters, Tin Star.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Well Captain N was like they gave the animators a list of games and the characters they could use.

"Mega man, huh? Let's make him look like this."
"That's not how he really looks."
"So what?"

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
With regard to Captain N, keep in mind that there was very limited media available as far as videogames were concerned back in those days. The only things the artists had to go by were 8-bit sprites and even less accurate boxart and manual descriptions - so given the circumstances, I think they did alright. Even with the inaccuracies and various character quirks (namely the speech impediments of Kid Icarus and Mega Man :p), I found it to be a very enjoyable show - well... seasons 1 & 2 at least...

But yeah, let's try to stay on topic: Simon FTW!

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
With regard to Captain N, keep in mind that there was very limited media available as far as videogames were concerned back in those days. The only things the artists had to go by were 8-bit sprites and even less accurate boxart and manual descriptions - so given the circumstances, I think they did alright. Even with the inaccuracies and various character quirks (namely the speech impediments of Kid Icarus and Mega Man :p), I found it to be a very enjoyable show - well... seasons 1 & 2 at least...
they captured the spirit of the King Hippo and eggplant Wizard duo very well. VERY funny, they make me laugh today

But yeah, let's try to stay on topic: Simon FTW!
Simon FTW indeed!

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
With regard to Captain N, keep in mind that there was very limited media available as far as videogames were concerned back in those days. The only things the artists had to go by were 8-bit sprites and even less accurate boxart and manual descriptions - so given the circumstances, I think they did alright.

So why is it this Twisted Sister reject suddenly a cartoon character from American Dad?

No way, man. They didn't do "Alright" at all.

Besides...

What the **** do they have in common?

NOTHIN'!

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion

So why is it this Twisted Sister reject suddenly a cartoon character from American Dad?

No way, man. They didn't do "Alright" at all.

Besides...

What the **** do they have in common?

NOTHIN'!
First off, that picture of Simon you have posted is his most recent redesign from Castlevania Chronicles circa 2000, the Captain N cartoon series aired back in 1989. Back then, this is what they had to go by:

However, they probably did throw in a little Indiana Jones into his design for fun...

Also, Megaman was unfortunately based off this now infamous boxart:

You kids fail to realise that things were very different back then...

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Well to start, I'm not a "You kids", since I'm more than old enough to remember Mega Man, Castlevania, and Captain N ine one go.

But more importantly...

I don't see any sort of leather armor or anything on THIS Simon.

Do you?

Honestly, you're refuting me with evidence I should already be using. I don't understand how you can possibly defend the developers of Captain N for completely skull****ing our NES heroes.

I know that they probably couldn't have done much(1980s low budget animators), but would it have been so drastically difficult to not give him a giant effing chin, goggles, and a fur coat?

And I don't see how you're proving me wrong at all by giving me the horrendous cover art for Mega Man 1. He had a helmet and armor, and looked like 20. Captain N version looked like a 10 year old Down Syndrome kid dressing up like a space man.

So, all they had to work with was a couple of boxarts. That I can understand (And I'll aknowledge that the image linked was circa 2000). But still, anything would have been better than what we got.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Well to start, I'm not a "You kids", since I'm more than old enough to remember Mega Man, Castlevania, and Captain N ine one go.

But more importantly...

Do you?

Honestly, you're refuting me with evidence I should already be using. I don't understand how you can possibly defend the developers of Captain N for completely skull****ing our NES heroes.

I know that they probably couldn't have done much(1980s low budget animators), but would it have been so drastically difficult to not give him a giant effing chin, goggles, and a fur coat?

And I don't see how you're proving me wrong at all by giving me the horrendous cover art for Mega Man 1. He had a helmet and armor, and looked like 20. Captain N version looked like a 10 year old Down Syndrome kid dressing up like a space man.

So, all they had to work with was a couple of boxarts. That I can understand (And I'll aknowledge that the image linked was circa 2000). But still, anything would have been better than what we got.
And it's just because of those fugly game art designs that they had to make them more "presentable" for a Saturday morning cartoon, but still, they are somewhat based on those designs - note the visors on Mega Man's helment and Simon's blond hair. Also, I did say that they did through a bit of an Indiana Jones theme in Simon's design, didn't I? Like I said, times were different - NOTHING was accurate according to the original concepts, but considering that often times all they had to go by was 8-bit sprites, it's not so far-fetched that they'd have to put a little bit of their own imagination - often resulting with less than desirable results. You should know that if your as old as you seem to suggest...

MikaRabidKitsune

Smash Journeyman

But more importantly...

Do you?

Well Excuuuuuuse me, Princess!
The Mega Man from the box art looked like a man with down syndrome so what the heck do you suppose the artist were suposed do? Don't bring up that bull about them being "completely skull****ed" back then there wasn't any of these updated looks that you are so used to. The artist were using there imaginations to fill in the blanks that the offical didn't have.

As for Simon, he used a whip so they thought they could have fun with that and made him more like a Indiana Jones character as Deathborne pointed out earlier. You see Cloud run around in a skirt and have bandaids on his freaking sword in Kingdom Hearts AND Squall was called Leon! OMG UN-CANNON! OMG Kingdom Hearts is skull****ing our beloved Final Fantasy and Disney characters!!! So why the heck is it selling so well? The same reason Captain N did well back in the day.

Captain N wasn't skull****ing our NES heroes becuase there was nothing to skull****. In fact, it was giving them more credit to them and in a new way. So stop crying about it.

So please dear, shut your trap.

Back on Topic. Simon FTW!

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
And it's just because of those fugly game art designs that they had to make them more "presentable" for a Saturday morning cartoon, but still, they are somewhat based on those designs - note the visors on Mega Man's helment and Simon's blond hair. Also, I did say that they did through a bit of an Indiana Jones theme in Simon's design, didn't I? Like I said, times were different - NOTHING was accurate according to the original concepts, but considering that often times all they had to go by was 8-bit sprites, it's not so far-fetched that they'd have to put a little bit of their own imagination - often resulting with less than desirable results. You should know that if your as old as you seem to suggest..
Well it's not like I can flash my ID at you to prove what you blatantly seem to believe is simply me lying.

EDIT: I wasn't much of a huge Castlevania fan, which is why I didn't know that Simon picture was conjured up recently.

But what I can say is that with the kind of animation they did have back in the 1980s, I had expected better. Just look at stuff like Mighty Max, The Transformers, Thundercats, and the like. Leonar had armor. Sure it was a bikini, but he had armor. And that's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Simon from the Captain N looks like he's a pilot heading to his plane and getting ready for takeoff. You mention an "Indiana Jones" look, and while I don't disagree, I think that the "Pilot" influence is way more prominent than the "Jones" look.

And, again, Mega Man looks like a chubby kid with down syndrome. With the kind of box art they had from Mega Man 1 and Mega Man 2 (I believe it was out then), I would have expected something better.

Well Excuuuuuuse me, Princess!
The Mega Man from the box art looked like a man with down syndrome so what the heck do you suppose the artist were suposed do? Don't bring up that bull about them being "completely skull****ed" back then there wasn't any of these updated looks that you are so used to. The artist were using there imaginations to fill in the blanks that the offical didn't have.

As for Simon, he used a whip so they thought they could have fun with that and made him more like a Indiana Jones character as Deathborne pointed out earlier. You see Cloud run around in a skirt and have bandaids on his freaking sword in Kingdom Hearts AND Squall was called Leon! OMG UN-CANNON! OMG Kingdom Hearts is skull****ing our beloved Final Fantasy and Disney characters!!! So why the heck is it selling so well? The same reason Captain N did well back in the day.

Captain N wasn't skull****ing our NES heroes becuase there was nothing to skull****. In fact, it was giving them more credit to them and in a new way. So stop crying about it.

So please dear, shut your trap.

Back on Topic. Simon FTW!
I said that in an attempt to provoke humor. You act like I'm some NES fanboy who's *****ing about how the new Castlevanias aren't cannon because of what happened in the old Castlevanias. I'm just saying, completely independent from my love and experience with video gaming, that the characters look like roasted *** and I had expected better from the same era that gave me The Transformers.

It's like I said; I can understand interpretation and "Saturday Morning Cartoon-ifying", but I don't understand where the big furry coat, goggles, and the giynormous chin came from.

Also: Deathborne, you mention that he has blonde hair. Right. So why isn't it long?

See what I mean? It looks like they hardly took the box art into consideration. "Mega Man has a helmet, and, um, an arm cannon. Let's do that."

Top Bottom