• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simon freaking Belmont

MikaRabidKitsune

Smash Journeyman
Well it's not like I can flash my ID at you to prove what you blatantly seem to believe is simply me lying.

EDIT: I wasn't much of a huge Castlevania fan, which is why I didn't know that Simon picture was conjured up recently.

But what I can say is that with the kind of animation they did have back in the 1980s, I had expected better. Just look at stuff like Mighty Max, The Transformers, Thundercats, and the like. Leonar had armor. Sure it was a bikini, but he had armor. And that's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Simon from the Captain N looks like he's a pilot heading to his plane and getting ready for takeoff. You mention an "Indiana Jones" look, and while I don't disagree, I think that the "Pilot" influence is way more prominent than the "Jones" look.

And, again, Mega Man looks like a chubby kid with down syndrome. With the kind of box art they had from Mega Man 1 and Mega Man 2 (I believe it was out then), I would have expected something better.

I said that in an attempt to provoke humor. You act like I'm some NES fanboy who's *****ing about how the new Castlevanias aren't cannon because of what happened in the old Castlevanias. I'm just saying, completely independent from my love and experience with video gaming, that the characters look like roasted *** and I had expected better from the same era that gave me The Transformers.

It's like I said; I can understand interpretation and "Saturday Morning Cartoon-ifying", but I don't understand where the big furry coat, goggles, and the giynormous chin came from.

Also: Deathborne, you mention that he has blonde hair. Right. So why isn't it long?

See what I mean? It looks like they hardly took the box art into consideration. "Mega Man has a helmet, and, um, an arm cannon. Let's do that."
Cry me a river. Different cartoonist. Different styles. It's not easy to top the art that was Transformers and even then Captain N had a art style of its own. Captain N wasn't supposed to be an Emo drama/uber action show...it was more goofy, something the viewers could have fun with. Please note the Mario cartoons. My Little Pony had some of the funniest looking characters in it as well. Don't even make me bring up other 80's cartoons.

Stop "expecting" so much with a show that was supposed to give people a bit of a laugh/action. Well I expected it to be this becuase of that. Like I said before, the offical art was just reference, the rest was completely up to artists. :dizzy:

By the way, Mighty Max was made in 1993.

BACK ON FRICK'EN TOPIC

Simon should be in Brawl.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Cry me a river. Different cartoonist. Different styles. It's not easy to top the art that was Transformers and even then Captain N had a art style of its own. Captain N wasn't supposed to be an Emo drama/uber action show...it was more goofy, something the viewers could have fun with. Please note the Mario cartoons. My Little Pony had some of the funniest looking characters in it as well. Don't even make me bring up other 80's cartoons.

Stop "expecting" so much with a show that was supposed to give people a bit of a laugh/action. Well I expected it to be this becuase of that. Like I said before, the offical art was just reference, the rest was completely up to artists. :dizzy:
Yes, EXACTLY! Note the Mario and Zelda cartoons. They looked like the games! They looked like the art! It obviously wasn't as detailed, but at least it was visually accurate. The two looked similar. I don't get how I'm "Expecting too much" out of a cartoon, when the entire point of the cartoon was to connect the games with the show, and it was impossible to do since nothing looked, sounded, or acted even close.

But, enough about this. You've personally insulted me twice now, and I'm honestly getting sick of it. I want my cartoon to not look absurd, and every time I say this you seem to think I'm some emo kid crying that my parents don't understand me. I'm very sick of this, and I'm done with you.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Pshah... Let's just drop this whole Captain N argument, shall we? It's fine if you don't like it MiraiGen - let's just leave it at that. Besides, this is the SIMON BELMONT thread, not a Captain N thread.

So with that aside, Simon FTW!

BTW I don't think Mika was calling you an emo, MiraGen - "Emo drama" is just how she desribes the overly melodramatic shows that have become rather prevalent as of late. Don't take it too seriously...

MikaRabidKitsune

Smash Journeyman
(Sigh) Fine, whatever.

I shouldn't have brought it that far anyways.

I wasn't calling you an emo dude. When I said crying, I meant complaining. And EMo Drama wasn't about you at all. I meant Uber Damatic shows.

And Zelda didn't run around in two piece outfit in the original games now did she?

(Sigh) Ok I'll drop it.

I'm sure a sorry wouldn't cut it at this point in time.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
I think that Brawl will have alternate outfits and actually, the idea of having just an unspecified Belmont is COOL.

Red (Default) - Simon Belmont (long red hair, red outfit like Simon's recent design)
Blue - Richter Belmont (long brown hair, blue outfit like Richter's from Symphony of the Night)
Green - Trevor Belmont (long black hair, green outfit like Trevor's from Curse of Darkness)
Other 1 - Juste Belmont (long white hair, white outfit with a red vest from Harmony of Dissonance)
Other 2 - Julius Belmont (Brown hair in a ponytail and a beard, long brown outfit from the Sorrow games)

Official Belmonts NOT included in this amalgamated Belmont character: Christopher Belmont (would need a redesign), Sonia Belmont (is female), Leon Belmont (Didn't appear on a Nintendo platform), John Morris (looks like a brown-haired version of Captain N's Simon, last name is not Belmont, though he IS part of the Belmont clan)

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
The Morris family had minor roles in the Castlevania games anyway.

I don't think they'll use Juste Belmont. He was in a somewhat unpopular game. I love the idea of using Julius Belmont though.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
The Morris family had minor roles in the Castlevania games anyway.

I don't think they'll use Juste Belmont. He was in a somewhat unpopular game. I love the idea of using Julius Belmont though.
I don't think "Main character in two games" counts as minor. Remember? there's a Morris in the latest Castlevania game, Portrait of Ruin.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I merely excluded him because he would need a redesign and his last name isn't Belmont and thus wouldn't work with my idea.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Simon over any other member of the Belmont clan. I'd say Richter would be the 2nd best choice, but unfortunately, he's never appeared on a Nintendo platform... Sonia would be awesome as well, but having starred in the less-than-stellar Castlevania Legends and the cancelled Dreamcast Castlevania title, things don't look so great for her. Oh well... one can dream...

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
I don't think "Main character in two games" counts as minor. Remember? there's a Morris in the latest Castlevania game, Portrait of Ruin.
Holy gaming journalism, Batman, I forgot!

Yeah, you're right, I just keep remembering the old balding guy who trained Nathan Graves in Circle of the Moon, and I keep wondering what the Graves family has to do with Vampire Killer.

GenG

Smash Lord
Well, about Ritcher...

You can play as him in Portrait of Ruin, but I don't know if it's one of the usual joke characters with no argumental basis at all (like SOTN Alucard in Dawn of Sorrow) or his mode has a true storyline.
Even so, Simon is undoubtly the best Belmont member for a Nintendo game.

I've always been interested in how Simon played like in Dreammix World TV Fighters.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Except that John Morris and Johnathan Morris are NOT the same person; the latter is actually the son of the former... yeah, I know it's weird...
I know that. I wasn't trying to imply otherwise.

It doesn't stop the fact that The Morris family has stood up to Dracula twice.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I know that. I wasn't trying to imply otherwise.

It doesn't stop the fact that The Morris family has stood up to Dracula twice.
You just said Morris, so I wasn't sure if you were refering to one character or the family name... oh well... I should have figured you meant the latter... >.<

As far as a moveset for Simon, if anyone has a copy of DreamMix TV World Fighters handy, that would surely provide some good reference material. His v B should definitely be the holy water wave attack though... :grin:

T-major

Smash Champion
Castlevainia started out on Nintendo, and has had most of it's games on there ever since. Brawl absoluty HAS to represent Castlevainia in some way. and I think a character would be the perfect way to do so (or at the very least, a stage). one question though, is Simon Belmont the guy from the very first Castlevainia? or just the most popular character from all the games? I'm not to up to date with the classic games. either way, someone from Castlevainia needs to get in. so as of right now, Simon (or anyone from the castlevainia games) is #1 on my list of wanted characters. not just third party either. #1 out of ALL my wanted characters.

::EDIT::

also. if they do put him in, they should keep his look gothic styled like in the game. and not do a total anime redesign like they did with Pit (not that I hate Pit's new look, I love it. it's just that the gothic art style would fit Simon better... way better)

Mestro

Smash Journeyman
I post some of the moves for simon, I'll put them if anyone doesn´t read it (it was my first comment)

here it goes (edited)

A:Whip
B:Sword
Up+B: Axe or another high jump
Forward+B: Cross or dagger
Down+B: Holy Water
Back+B: Dagger
Special Power: The idea of the clock was great, but my idea is mmm... do you remember the holy cross attack in Symphony? the one who attacks with a crucifix. That one could be great or maybe throw daggers faster like Richter or Johnathan? or maybe a combination stop the time throw the daggers and finally finish with a crucifix attack :chuckle:

Mestro

Smash Journeyman
i hope, if Simon is in the game, they don't do the whip like in Dream Mix TV :mad: it was awful :urg:

And they have to do Simon better :urg: I mean more human and not soo polygonal
, I mean look at those arms! :smash:

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Castlevainia started out on Nintendo, and has had most of it's games on there ever since. Brawl absoluty HAS to represent Castlevainia in some way. and I think a character would be the perfect way to do so (or at the very least, a stage). one question though, is Simon Belmont the guy from the very first Castlevainia? or just the most popular character from all the games? I'm not to up to date with the classic games. either way, someone from Castlevainia needs to get in. so as of right now, Simon (or anyone from the castlevainia games) is #1 on my list of wanted characters. not just third party either. #1 out of ALL my wanted characters.

::EDIT::

also. if they do put him in, they should keep his look gothic styled like in the game. and not do a total anime redesign like they did with Pit (not that I hate Pit's new look, I love it. it's just that the gothic art style would fit Simon better... way better)
Yes, the first Castlevania, as well as Castlevania 2, starred Simon Belmont.

Oh, and, like Metal Gear, Castlevania started on the MSX. Sorry.

Mestro

Smash Journeyman
As I told you, he will be in Brawl don't worry guys, I mean, there's Snake from Konami out of there, so please Nintendo and Konami, let Simon be in Brawl! And all Simon's games, except Chronicles and Haunted Castle, were for Nintendo!

Mestro

Smash Journeyman
C'mon guys let's continue posting things here, so at least they know there is people wanting Simon for Brawl :chuckle:

*Sorry for my english*

Lanartur

Smash Rookie

Id go with something similair to Super Castlevania IV look.

Oh and yeah Simon for SSBB!!!

Konuk

Smash Journeyman
Dont u think the whips kinda unfair have some limits on it and if somas not in then i want him to have a costume. I like soma more tho :D

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
u want me to make a move set 4 him??? show me a video of his attacks and i'll try a moveset ok?
From Super Castlevania 4:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TKdp1-j7Vjk
Simon using his whip and Axe against the giant Skull Boss. Possible Forward of Neutral-B attack, or Up-B if you don't mind Simon having lousy recovery.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xAQq2ZXb0V4
Simon Vs. Money-bat. Uses the Cross and also displays the uses of the 8-directional whip feature. Cross is a Shoe-in for Smash-B.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5KXpIaVgHBI
Vs. mounted Skelaton. Using the Knife. Possible Neutral B, but might do well to be completely omitted, or relegated to an A attack.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ykOjPfSr_iY
Vs. Mummy. Using Holy Water. Shoe-in for Down-B.

And also, perhaps some added ammo for a moveset:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nACc6Qh1fN8
An 8-minute speedrun of SotN using Richter. Spoilers. Shows Richter Belmont (so far the most articulated Belmont) using some of his notable moves. Specifically, his Slide tricks, his dash attack, Hi-jump, Item crash with the Knife and Holy Water.
Also note the Extra Sub-weapon that Richter picks up (but never uses) The Bible, from Sotn and Rondo of Blood.

Top Bottom