• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 Video thread

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
has anyone seen a combo in the japanese version that implements the use of the special japanese turn slide technique? I was thinking Yoshi or Fox specifically but any of the able characters would be cool.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
^ wha? hopefully it's not permanent. i thought maybe he was switching accounts again

was the reason lost in translation or not given? my japanese is par so i used to read MEGU's smash journal on smashgeneration but for some reason the site is down. =(

Battlecow

Play to Win
I recorded the matches I played with Imnotpro in MATTS!'s weegee dittos tourney. I thought I'd throw a link to them in here, in case anyone was really starved for viewing material. No sound, Classical music in the background, and poor quality, but here ya go.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I had fun. I keep looking at all of those times when I could have won/done better and going "AAAARGH!!!"

we should ditto again sometime.

dandan

Smash Lord
I have just made my first combo today.
I got the idea after I got a ledge cancelled upb mid game.
Anyhow, here is the combo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKnGHwdnKdE

watch in 1080p :D,
please tell me your thought on it. i am going to start uploading european smash matches soon i hope.
btw, i need to change the aspect ratio, that is why it is squished like that,
need to work on my encoding skills.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Does it need to be ledge cancelled? I think I've seen upb combos like that that weren't. And that seems like it would be one of the harder moves to ledge cancel haha

dandan

Smash Lord
actually it does not have to be, i just checked, but i think that is what's nice about it,
also, the timing window is way shorter if you do not cancel it, and cancelling also brings up the option for more intricate combos.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I have just made my first combo today.
I got the idea after I got a ledge cancelled upb mid game.
Anyhow, here is the combo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKnGHwdnKdE

watch in 1080p :D,
please tell me your thought on it. i am going to start uploading european smash matches soon i hope.
btw, i need to change the aspect ratio, that is why it is squished like that,
need to work on my encoding skills.
There is no point in uploading in 1080p when it's just a sub-1080p resolution that is upscaled to 1080p.

DMoogle

A$
lol yes, smash NTSC resolution is 480x360. Worth to upload in HD only PS3 games for example.
This is only relevant if you're playing/recording on console, which I assume dandan wasn't. Emulators can process and display games in higher resolution. It doesn't make sprites any better, but 3D stuff looks MUCH better.

dandan

Smash Lord
This is only relevant if you're playing/recording on console, which I assume dandan wasn't. Emulators can process and display games in higher resolution. It doesn't make sprites any better, but 3D stuff looks MUCH better.
a$ is right, i also recorded on 1280x960 or something like that, so i upscaled it to 1080p because i was unsure whether youtube will scale it itself or not.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
lol yes, smash NTSC resolution is 480x360. Worth to upload in HD only PS3 games for example.
Unless your computer ****ing sucks, pretty much any PC game you play should be at least in 720p (when you set the resolution to 1280x1024 in smash, it doesn't upscale, it actually displays at 720p+). The consoles don't output their games at 1080p, it's a lie; they just display at 720p or lower and then upscale.

a$ is right, i also recorded on 1280x960 or something like that, so i upscaled it to 1080p because i was unsure whether youtube will scale it itself or not.
Of course youtube has to upscale, it's not like it's going to display a smaller video just because it's a lower resolution than 1080p. The problem is that upscaling on your own is that you create a larger video file with no improvemement.

Also, your screen ratio is messed up.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
What? The PS3 DOES display at Full HD 1080 (at least some games) but the Xbox 360 doesnt, it only reaches 720p.

I honestly dont see the point on using that high resolution to record smash64 videos, its a waste of space for your hard drive IMO. I normally use 640x480 and i think its really enough.

dandan

Smash Lord
Of course youtube has to upscale, it's not like it's going to display a smaller video just because it's a lower resolution than 1080p. The problem is that upscaling on your own is that you create a larger video file with no improvemement.

Also, your screen ratio is messed up.
it is not my screen ratio, it is a 4:3 winowed mode.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
What? The PS3 DOES display at Full HD 1080 (at least some games) but the Xbox 360 doesnt, it only reaches 720p.
Nope. Neither the 360 or PS3 output their games at 1080p. Sure, in their menu settings you can set it to 1080p and it will display the OS menus at 1080p and such, but the consoles are so weak that they can only display at 720p maximum, that is IF they're lucky enough to display at 720p with their horrid 30 FPS maximum. Some of the more popular titles like Halo 3 run at 640p. Even that trash Modern Warfare 2 runs at 600p on both consoles.

it is not my screen ratio, it is a 4:3 winowed mode.
You must be doing something wrong. If you recorded with a screen recorder and uploaded the video like that, it would have uploaded fine. But you must have put some wrong setting on whatever program it is you use to render it at a wrong ratio and make it all stretched.

dandan

Smash Lord
Nope. Neither the 360 or PS3 output their games at 1080p. Sure, in their menu settings you can set it to 1080p and it will display the OS menus at 1080p and such, but the consoles are so weak that they can only display at 720p maximum, that is IF they're lucky enough to display at 720p with their horrid 30 FPS maximum. Some of the more popular titles like Halo 3 run at 640p. Even that trash Modern Warfare 2 runs at 600p on both consoles.

You must be doing something wrong. If you recorded with a screen recorder and uploaded the video like that, it would have uploaded fine. But you must have put some wrong setting on whatever program it is you use to render it at a wrong ratio and make it all stretched.
indeed i have, i switched it from a 4:3 res to 16:9, just for the heck of it.
so, what do you think of the combo :laugh:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Anyone ever thought of commentary on smash64...I know they do it in melee with a bunch of commentators.

I'm only considering it because my computer doesn't want to record sound.

dandan

Smash Lord
Anyone ever thought of commentary on smash64...I know they do it in melee with a bunch of commentators.

I'm only considering it because my computer doesn't want to record sound.
i think you need to have real big tournies before you can do any commentating.
i would love to hear some in the gamme or apex tournies.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I uploaded a commentated match.

Not much to say because I sucked and there was like one combo (it was Falcon v Yoshi on Dreamland, goes to show how much I fail under pressure).

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I got a shout out, I'm happy. Tom commented that you sound like David Attenborough who's been smoking for 20 years :p.

But in all seriousness good job, do more and I might do some myself.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Good job, it actually makes the game more enjoyable to watch. I never watch 64vids usually but that was just fine.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
In the past, I've played many, many matches I wish could have been recorded. But all I have right now is one in which I 3-stock an entire team of level 9 computers 3 on 1 against me with my Pikachu.
It's not against a human, so probably nobody cares. :p

M15t3R E

Smash Master
It's already uploaded, lol. Been uploaded since Dec. of 2007. But I'm going to start getting back into SSB64 online and record some new matches. I haven't played since Emularena Grounds collapsed but I was considered an amazing Pikachu when I did used to play.

Top Bottom