• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash bros needs more girls? Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
I respectively disagree because there are several more iconic charcters that would have less redundant movesets than those two(Shadow, Knuckles).
I agree. But what I'm saying is go and make them characters before you go make other woman characters like daisy and birdo.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
Because Nintendo treats it as such. Have you seen Nintendo treat Golden Sun: Dark Dawn and Sin & Punishment: Star Successor with so much attention, promotions, and advertisement like they did for Kid Icarus: Uprising and Punch-Out!!?
A-list generally brings to mind Mario or Pokemon (Two most promoted and popular Nintendo franchises). Kid Icarus has nowhere near the same promotion as Mario or Pokemon.

Also, we are comparing a franchise with one game in the last ten years to franchises like Metroid, Zelda, Fire Emblem, Mario, Pokemon, and Donkey Kong. Why on Earth is Kid Icarus A-list compared to those?

And even if the likes of Link and Zelda, who are a fictional race, look white, how does GANONDORF look white at all? He's of a desert tribe, so he'd be Middle Eastern on technicality of realism.
I heavily object to the "desert tribe=Middle Eastern" claim.

Although the Gerudo are obviously inspired by Middle Eastern stereotypes.

Bikini Samus.
Which wasn't even seen by most people who played Metroid 2, because it is HARD to beat that game in under 3 hours without a map. :c

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai is Sexist & so is Nintendo
Would not mind more females

Krystal
Impa
Lyn From Fire Emblem
Palutena
Paula from Earthbound
Impa is someone I forgot, you could actually take shiek off of Zelda and then have Impa basically be a clone of shiek from previous games with a few new abilities. I'd say this has a good chance of actually happening so with the likelihood and ease these could be done I would say get more support for Impa. Still waiting on that Krystal argument though.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I would like to see more girl characters, but that's partially because I typically prefer playing girl characters anyway. Some of my personal picks are Palutena, Kumatora (with a C. Viper playstyle), Dixie Kong, Capt. Syrup, Impa, Lip, and Lyn.

From a gameplay standpoint, I feel these characters can offer something in terms of playstyle, but not because of their gender. That being said, with Namco being involved, we might get something like this.

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
I don't really care about gender I just care about if the character is interesting or not. And it seems like there aren't as many iconic girl characters so we don't see many.
pretty much this.

as much as i'm all for adding more female characters to get rid of the mostly dominate male characters in smash....there just aren't a lot of iconic female game characters that nintendo could use. I do feel Krystal should be considered at least, maybe drop wolf for her.

other than that though most female game characters from nintendo just have very minor roles and aren't significant enough to warrant a place in smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Give me Dixie Kong and Impa and I'll be fine. It shouldn't be about the gender, but about the potential of the character. Though, a healtier balance would always be good. That doesn't mean that every newcomer in Smash need to be female though, or a female character should take priority over a male character just because of those reasons. :smirk:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Actually Zoroark being a female isn't too far off. The playable Pokemon tend to be loosely based on their anime counterparts, for example Pichu hurting itself from electricity, Mewtwo being capable of speech and being associated with Shadow Ball, and Jigglypuff for being more dangerous then it appears.

:phone:
Good point there, but I still wouldn't qualify Zoroark as a female character, especially when you take into account that Jigglypuff's gender is actually indeterminate.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Smash doesn't have many villains, Gannondorf, DeDeDe, and Bowser. However the list of notable villains from Nintendo franchises is a mile long. You can't say that about it's female cast. I personally would rather see K.rool then Dixie for the fact that I would much prefer DK and diddy to duke it out against K.rool over anyone else, also I see no need for there to be 3 protagonist reps with no antagonist.
While it is contradictory, I kinda have to agree with this. I would like to see more antagonists even just so the Adventure Mode this time won't be so one-sided with its heroes and villains. That being said, the villains have to actually be fun and interesting as playable characters and not just an excuse to include more characters with opposing agendas to the heroes

Females aren't needed.... hence the name Super Smash Brothers.
Come on now, you can not be serious with this statement

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Because it was called bros., I just assumed the "Females" in it were either ******** or men in drag

deuxhero

Smash Journeyman
Alexandra should be in with the "all but confirmed" status of Eternal Darkness 2. She has moveset potential and reps a new post-Pikmin franchise.

D

Deleted member

Well, if a sequel for that game ever does get legitimately announced, and Alexxandra is the main character again, I'd be all for supporting her.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Because it was called bros., I just assumed the "Females" in it were either ******** or men in drag
Birdo for Smash! I really think "she" should get her own game so she could represent the transgenders.

But we need more females so we can make a Beach Volleyball spin off just like the Dead or Alive games did.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Robin from Pilotwings 64 (The blonde American pilot) would be a unique character for using mechanical gadgets and being a rare heavy weight female. Fat Impa wouldn't happen since most people prefers her Skyword Sword version (aka Treebranch).

[COLLAPSE="Robin Picture"]
[/COLLAPSE]

But I highly doubt that would happen since the characters didn't return in the Pilotwings Resort and she is rather...um big, which explains her former/Japanese name Hooter. :troll:

Bdblazen

Smash Cadet
I support there being more females also. But like everyone said, they should have importance. You know, like Palutena.
I support Palutena over Medusa just because in KI:U Medusa had little importance to the story. She was killed early in the game;too early for me to even care about her. Then she only comes back in the last second of the game to get killed instantly again. So i didn't really get to know her and thats why I feel Palutena would be a better choice. She was actually important in the game. And the Japanese game is named after Palutena so that shows her importance. If they were to add a villain, I think it should be hades, he was the true villain in KI:U and he was in the game like 3 times as long as Medusa was. So that's just my view, and I actually vision Medusa as a boss in the adventure mode, it just seems right to me.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
I think it all depends on whether you think the Metroid Prime could have been called a queen. Dark Samus only has a female shape because it's inhabiting the Phazon Suit.
Well there is Gandrayda from Metroid Prime 3, she shoots shards of pink something at you. She can also mimic different creatures shape. And she can turn invisible. But she is a minor character.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
^
¦

I refer to the original Metroid Prime as an "it." Since Dark Samus stole some of Samus's DNA, it can now be referred as a "she."

D

Deleted member

Clones don't necessarily have the same gender as the original unless stated.
Case in point, X-23 is a female clone of Wolverine.

In Dark Samus' case, the fact that it was Metroid Prime taking Samus' DNA to revive itself, it's still an "it".

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Robin from Pilotwings 64 (The blonde American pilot) would be a unique character for using mechanical gadgets and being a rare heavy weight female. Fat Impa wouldn't happen since most people prefers her Skyword Sword version (aka Treebranch).

[COLLAPSE="Robin Picture"]
[/COLLAPSE]

But I highly doubt that would happen since the characters didn't return in the Pilotwings Resort and she is rather...um big, which explains her former/Japanese name Hooter. :troll:
I wouldn't mind seeing a pilotwings rep but I rather see Lark. Mainly because he was design after Nester from the Nintendo Power comic series. You also have two other girls from that series as well. I don't know their names since I never played the game (always wanted too thought).

As for Impa I think her OOT form was good. She was more built than fat.

As for Metroid Prime I thought it was a girl because it gave birth to all the Metroids. It was like the hive queen or something.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Captain Syrup, Palutena, Medusa (She's ridiculously hot and Sakurai loves his own franchises), Dixie Kong, Dark Samus and i'd absolutely love to see Drill Dozer's Jill, she's awesome as hell! And she punches the bad guy in the face!

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
I agree with the above statement its stupid character requests like cooking mama, daisy, and krystal that ruin female reps.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm kinda late to this thread, but I pretty much agree with what MelMoe said in the second post.

Sure, I'd like playable females in the game, but only if they warrant inclusion (which for most female characters not currently playable is debatable anyway). Requesting females solely on the basis of them being female is dumb. It's true that the ratio of males to females in Nintendo is pretty one-sided, but that doesn't mean that female characters should be included or requested over more deserving, perfectly good male characters just because they are female. Luckily, there are a few females with decent chances for SSB4 who warrant inclusion, not just to balance out the female quotient (like Palutena, Dixie, and uh... sort of Krystal... :rolleyes::embarrass::ohwell:).

Anyway, as a girl, I'm already used to girls getting much less representation in video games (for the most part), and it doesn't really bother me anymore. In fact, I think I would be more bothered if a character got into Smash just because (or mostly because) they were female, instead of because they actually warranted it. I think Sakurai knows better than that though, so I don't really have any worries.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
For the most part what N30N said, except I'm a guy.

and Sakurai loves his own franchises
He's much more humble than you give him credit for. Pretty much the only reason why a KI character isn't a given yet and why it took so long for Kirby to get newcomers.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Most of the females I can think of are better suited to an Assist Trophy. I would love to see Adeleine used.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm 7' tall, have 12 pack abs, and a gold plated car

call me

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm so conflicted now. I guess I'll hold out for whoever has the gold plated jet. :awesome::woman::laugh::rolleyes:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm so conflicted now. I guess I'll hold out for whoever has the gold plated jet. :awesome::woman::laugh::rolleyes:
I was going to mention that next. You read my mind

I didn't want to seem big headed

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
No, just no. One of of the least bearable third party females.

Third party? *check* Oh! True! I gave for granted that it was a Nintendo game.
Not that I really wanted her thought. I just found her as expectable as Tom Nook.
You know: There is a difference among the character we want and the character we expect.
And even if a character satisfies both the conditions that's not a garantee of his/her presence in the game.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I know some people mention this before but I'm going to say it. Nintendo needs more female protagonist. They did a great job with Samus (with the exception of that Other M thing) and they should have more like her. Not necessary a space travelling bounty hunter but maybe a fantasy warrior or something.

Also there are many great female characters that should get their own spin off.

Zelda (CD-I's don't count)
Captain Syrup (A Sly Cooperish style game)
Krystal (How Starfox Adventures should have been)
Katt (Could have an interesting back story with Falco)

This is just some ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom