• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash bros needs more girls? Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Daisy needs to tone down her sugar level, she is so hyperactive it's really annoying. She'd be alright at punch out though, she'll just keep punching somewhere and it might hit you, she basically does that anyway.
Waluigi would be the best for punch-out, it'd be impossible to hit him since he's a branch...

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Aren't transvestites more associated with men? I mean it's pretty much okay for a woman to dress up like a man, but not the other way around.
Tell that to Bugs Bunny. Technically PsychoIncarnate is right about Zelda being a cross dresser. A transvestite is someone who actually lives as the opposite gender. So a person who is biologically female but associates themselves as male is a ******. Crossdressers still view themselves as their biological gender but dresses up as the opposite for whatever reasons. In short...

Birdo = ******
Zelda = Crossdresser

Also thinking about the beach volleyball game Nintendo has many really interesting places.

Delfino Beach (Super Mario Sunshine)
Sugarsand beach/starry beach (Wii Sports Resort)
Great Blue (F-Zero)
Termina Great Bay (Majora's Mask)
Koholint Island (Link's Awakening)
Mimin Island (Captain Rainbow)
The Cola Islands (StarTropics)
Cinnabar Island (Pokemon Red/Blue/Green)

Nonnel

Smash Cadet
I agree Nintendo has a few female characters they could easily add to the nest title

Daisy
Krystal
Ashley or Mona
Medusa
Lyndis
Birdo, although I think she would be better as an assist and yes technically she is a he
Tetra if they add "toon zelda"
Kammy Koopa
Impa
Captain Syrup
Midna
Rosalina
Tiny Kong or Dixie Kong or Candy Kong (just one)

all of these Woman could have unique movesets and I'm sure there are quite a few more that have a shot as well ^_^

jigglover

Smash Lord
Tbh, the only characters from the above list that have even a snippit of a chance are Daisy (she's got a fanbase,) Krystal, Rosalina, Dixie Kong and, I guess, Mona. Birdo has no place on this thread, since he does have a chance, but he shouldn't be here for obvious reasons.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm more surprised by him not mentioning Palutena.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I still don't think Palutena has a chance, regardless of what people say.

Her role is to telepathically communicate with Pit, and that's what's she is good at AND known for.

D

Deleted member

Peach's role was to get kidnapped by Bowser and have Mario save her. Yet she was added in Melee.

Zelda's role was to get kidnapped by Ganon or be cursed and have Link save her. Yet she was added in Melee.

Being kidnapped is what they're good at AND known for. Why are they fighting?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Peach's role was to get kidnapped by Bowser and have Mario save her. Yet she was added in Melee.

Zelda's role was to get kidnapped by Ganon or be cursed and have Link save her. Yet she was added in Melee.

Being kidnapped is what they're good at AND known for. Why are they fighting?
Maybe they shouldn't, though peach has been playable as a hero twice, and zelda at least once.

Palutena should be judged from her own character rather than that of others

D

Deleted member

The only time Zelda has been the hero is in the CD-i games.
Those hold no merit whatsoever.
Any other time where she isn't just the typical damsel in distress came after her Smash debut.

And if Palutena is to be judged for her character, then she already has merits that Zelda herself lacked prior to Melee.

jigglover

Smash Lord
They were added due to importance to the series, and even if their role is to get kidnapped, they manage it pretty well, so it doesn't really matter. Zelda fought in OoT didn't she, hands up I've never played it but didn't she turn into Sheik to fight or something?
Anyway, as stated before and you still did it afterwards, don't judge a character to another character. It's like saying Skull Kid has to be in because he's like Ganondorf in Majora's mask! Or like saying that Mewtwo can't get in because we already have a human-like pokemon with slightly similar moves!

D

Deleted member

They were added due to importance to the series, and even if their role is to get kidnapped, they manage it pretty well, so it doesn't really matter. Zelda fought in OoT didn't she, hands up I've never played it but didn't she turn into Sheik to fight or something?
Anyway, as stated before and you still did it afterwards, don't judge a character to another character. It's like saying Skull Kid has to be in because he's like Ganondorf in Majora's mask! Or like saying that Mewtwo can't get in because we already have a human-like pokemon with slightly similar moves!
Not the same deal. At all.
1. He's saying that Palutena's role makes her not likely, yet we have two characters with similar roles already in.
2. Comparing a one-time villain from one series to a major villain from THE SAME SERIES is not the same as comparing a major character from one series to a major character from another.
3. This isn't about characters that "can't" get in because of similarities, and again, not from the SAME SERIES. This is about a character that "can't" get in for a certain reason, despite similar reasoning applying to characters already in Smash, which is utterly hypocritical. It'd be like saying that Ridley can't be playable because he's a murderer and evil, yet we have Ganondorf who is also a murderer and evil.

And no, neither Zelda nor her Sheik persona did any on-screen fighting whatsoever in OoT.

So, you want some merits Palutena has that doesn't use Zelda as an example, fine:
-2nd most prominent character in her series after Pit. (Appears in all three games)
-The series is named after her in Japan. (It's called "Light Mythology: Palutena's Mirror".)
-You actually fight her in Uprising, and unlike other major gods that you fight, she fights at a size that of an Amazonian, rather than that of a titan. She also fights in close combat (staff) as well as ranged energy attacks (light energy) which would easily translate into Smash.
-She was revived in Brawl alongside Pit, to which even Medusa had to wait until Uprising. She also appears in the Subspace Emissary, being the only non-boss, non-enemy character to do so.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Palutena is indeed a more usefull character than Peach and Zelda, she's the reason Pit is able to fly in Uprising. Peach and Zelda only has few screentimes in their canon games, Majoras Mask proved you don't need Zelda to make a Zelda game. (lol)

jigglover

Smash Lord
Not the same deal. At all.
1. He's saying that Palutena's role makes her not likely, yet we have two characters with similar roles already in.
2. Comparing a one-time villain from one series to a major villain from THE SAME SERIES is not the same as comparing a major character from one series to a major character from another.
3. This isn't about characters that "can't" get in because of similarities, and again, not from the SAME SERIES.
And no, neither Zelda nor her Sheik persona did any on-screen fighting whatsoever in OoT.
Ok, all good points there (and thanks for clearing up OoT) but I just have to mention that you did say Mewtwo isn't a Pokemon, if you read over my original post then you should understand.
Anyway, besides the point, but I just misinterpreted your post I guess.
Personally I don't think that Palutena should get in, while she does pretty much have a ready-made move-set and is in one of Sakurai's series' she... oh, I'm stuck, I don't really put lots of thought into her since I've never played a kid icarus game. Not even uprising.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
I really don't know where this conversation has gone to. Cross Dressing, volleyball, transvestites, why people want to beat up daisy and how she would be good for punchout? wtf?

D

Deleted member

but I just have to mention that you did say Mewtwo isn't a Pokemon, if you read over my original post then you should understand.
When the Hell did I say Mewtwo wasn't a Pokemon? I have never said anything of the sort.
I was mentioning how again you were comparing two characters from the same series (in this case, Mewtwo and Lucario) to characters not from the same series (Palutena, Zelda, and Peach).

jigglover

Smash Lord
When the Hell did I say Mewtwo wasn't a Pokemon? I have never said anything of the sort.
I was mentioning how again you were comparing two characters from the same series (in this case, Mewtwo and Lucario) to characters not from the same series (Palutena, Zelda, and Peach).
It seemed like you were adressing my points one by one, and in both 2 and 3 you said not from the same series, when I had shown why not to compare characters before with Mewtwo and Lucario.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I want more good characters. It wouldn't make much of a difference if it's a guy or a girl. Or an it.

In other words, I'd prefer an awesome ____ gendered character over a mediocre female character picked for the sake of more female representation. .-.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I would absolutely love to see Lyndis (Lyn for short) from Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken/Blazing Sword appear in SSB4 as a playable character. Personality wise, she is one of mine favourite characters in the entire Fire Emblem series. Plus, she is going to be in Fire Emblem: Awakening, the latest game in the series, as a downloadable character, so that does give her some points; adding her in SSB4 might just promote Awakening more. Brianne Siddall could do Lyn's voice (for some reason, I have always imagined Siddall's voice on Lyn when playing her respective game). Although, for obvious reasons, I would appreciate it if they would add a pair of pants to her outfit (that, in mine personal opinion, would actually make her look cooler). Honestly, I still remember some of the topics that were posted in GameFAQs when Lyn's assist trophy was announced for Brawl...(shudders).

Eirika from Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones would be cool as well. Oh, and Micaiah, too--I would have liked it had they kept her as the set main character in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn; Ike did kind of steal the spot light in the end. Although, I am not as big a fan of those two as I am of Lyn.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
I just want more females represented. Nothing deeper than that...
Thats exactly what I'm against. Imo there are probably about 3 other female characters that would even be worth giving a thought to rep. I don't want stupid characters like krystal, Daisy, Cooking Mama ect in smash.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Thats exactly what I'm against. Imo there are probably about 3 other female characters that would even be worth giving a thought to rep. I don't want stupid characters like krystal, Daisy, Cooking Mama ect in smash.
You jinxed it.
Now those are going to be the only three new characters in the game.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Eh, I kind of have to agree about Daisy; I honestly do not see why her appearance as a playable character would be all that necessary, especially taking into account that Princess Toadstool can practically turn into her via colour change.

I have never played Panel de Pon, so I cannot really say anything about Lip. Although, she does seem pretty cool.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I want more good characters. It wouldn't make much of a difference if it's a guy or a girl. Or an it.

In other words, I'd prefer an awesome ____ gendered character over a mediocre female character picked for the sake of more female representation. .-.
Pretty much this.

@ Altais

:phone:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
LMAO. Mario, Luigi, Waluigi, and Wario would like to have a word with you since they got costumes based on each other and ended up being playable (except Waluigi).

Also, keep in mind that it was Miyamoto who redesigned Yoko's character (Daisy) into a lookalike.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I'd rather have Daisy as a playable character. If not playable then Peach's alt could look more like modern Daisy with her accurate shorter hair and facial structure. If there's color editing in smash 4 (I hope) then we could make a classic Daisy color costume whenever we want. It's a win win I suppose.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Daisy? Heck no.

While I kinda want Smash to be a bit less of a sausagefest, there aren't a whole lot of female characters that I know of that really deserve/have a chance to be in SSB.

Off the top of my head, Lyn and Dixie Kong are probably the only characters that are interesting enough and have the name recognition to make an appearance. There are plenty of other characters that are cool/ important that just don't have the name recognition to make an appearance.

Edit:
Just for fun, I decided to categorize the characters in Brawl according to their genders:
Male Characters:
[COLLAPSE="Male"]Mario, Luigi, Wario, DK, Diddy Kong, Bowser, Ness, Lucas, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Marth, Ike, Olimar, Link, Toon Link, Ganondorf, Popo, Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Pit, Snake, Sonic, Mr. Game & Watch, Yoshi
Total: 27[/COLLAPSE] [COLLAPSE="Female"]Samus/ZSS, Peach, Zelda/Sheik, Nana
Total: 4[/COLLAPSE] [COLLAPSE="Gender Ambiguous(meaning we don't know their gender)"]Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, All PT Pokemon
Total: 6 if you count PT pokemon individually[/COLLAPSE] [COLLAPSE="No gender"]ROB
Total:1[/COLLAPSE]

If we count the "Fallen Five":
[COLLAPSE="Male"]Doc, Young Link, Roy
Total:3[/COLLAPSE] [COLLAPSE="Ambiguous"]Pichu
Total:1[/COLLAPSE] [COLLAPSE="No Gender"]Mewtwo(Almost all Legendaries have no gender)
Total: 1[/COLLAPSE]

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Daisy? Heck no.

While I kinda want Smash to be a bit less of a sausagefest, there aren't a whole lot of female characters that I know of that really deserve/have a chance to be in SSB.

Off the top of my head, Lyn and Dixie Kong are probably the only characters that are interesting enough and have the name recognition to make an appearance. There are plenty of other characters that are cool/ important that just don't have the name recognition to make an appearance.

Edit:
Just for fun, I decided to categorize the characters in Brawl according to their genders:
Male Characters:
[COLLAPSE="Male"]Mario, Luigi, Wario, DK, Diddy Kong, Bowser, Ness, Lucas, Yoshi, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Marth, Ike, Olimar, Link, Toon Link, Ganondorf, Popo, Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Pit, Snake, Sonic, Mr. Game & Watch
Total: 27[/COLLAPSE] [COLLAPSE="Female"]Samus/ZSS, Peach, Zelda/Sheik, Nana
Total: 4[/COLLAPSE] [COLLAPSE="Gender Ambiguous(meaning we don't know their gender)"]Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, All PT Pokemon
Total: 6 if you count PT pokemon individually[/COLLAPSE] [COLLAPSE="No gender"]ROB
Total:1[/COLLAPSE]

If we count the "Fallen Five":
[COLLAPSE="Male"]Doc, Young Link, Roy
Total:3[/COLLAPSE] [COLLAPSE="Ambiguous"]Pichu
Total:1[/COLLAPSE] [COLLAPSE="No Gender"]Mewtwo(Almost all Legendaries have no gender)
Total: 1[/COLLAPSE]
I like Daisy but I don't support her. Daisy compared to other Mario characters like Bowser Jr., Waluigi, Toad, Birdo, and Rosalina, Daisy can just be an alt for Peach and I'll be satisfied. And I agree what you've said about Lyn and Dixie Kong. But Nintendo doesn't really have a lot of important and cool female characters to begin with. Though I like Palutena, and thanks to Uprising she could possibly be in smash 4. But between her and Medusa I don't know which of the two would be a better choice. Personally I think adding another villain to the roster would be good.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I like adding another villain to the roster. Also, Daisy would be like a clone of Peach if she were in ssb4, so I would prefer another Mario character over her.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
I think they should just add both Palutena & Medusa; both are important characters in the series.

Adding 2 characters from a current 3 game franchise at the same time might be overkill though. However I expect them both to playable at some point if Kid Icarus continues to be a stable franchise.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ It's not about who is "important" to a series (unless someone is THEE character of a series, like Mario, Donkey Kong, Marth, Pit, Wario, and Sonic), but about who we want to play as, who makes us want to play the game, who adds the most to smash, who would work in smash, and who "balances out" the roster in smash.

Also, Medusa really isn't that important. She doesn't appear in Kid Icarus until the end. In Uprising, she's basically the game Zant.

Besides, there are main characters (of various Nintendo IPs) with much more to work with that she'd have to get in over, specifically Little Mac, Isaac, Saki, and Shulk, as well as important characters to larger series not in (also with more to work with), like Ridley, K. Rool, Dixie Kong, and Mewtwo.

As for female characters...

DIXIE KONG, DIXIE KONG, DIXIE KONG, DIXIE KONG, DIXIE KONG, DIXIE KONG, DIXIE KONG, DIXIE KONG, DIXIE KONG, DIXIE KONG, DIXIE KONG, DIXIE KONG, DIXIE KONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lip wouldn't be a bad character choice, either. Lyn wouldn't either, but she's got Roy's last no hope (thanks to Marth, Roy, Ike, and Krom). Daisy is BOOOOOORINNGGG!!!

Krystal... I'll confuse you guys with my opinion on Krystal. I''ll say this: I hate the character vigilantly. I love the moveset potential vigilantly. This gives me conflicting opinions of her.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
You took the words right out of my mouth. I agree with you.

I think Medusa will be in a Smash game eventually. Playing as a Gorgon would be pretty awesome.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Medusa will probably not be a playable character at all if she's constantly be regulated to minor roles. She doesn't even appear in Super Smash Bros. in any shape or form, not even a sticker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom