• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Development History - Updated 3/22

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
That image is simply a place holder for when the real image comes up sometime in the future. The giveaway being that the images on the box art used are ether recycled from other games or fan made, and the random third party choices like Knuckles and Neku.

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
Omg a back cover and front cover i wished it was real.I really love the Melee-vibe to it would be awsome if they would stick with that.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
That's interesting, thought there'd be a bit more too it though.

Also only 17 years? Should have went with Capcom, they've been making fighters since the 80s and they have Mega Man too. :troll:

Can't say I'll add that box art, it's a cool design but it's totally fake. I do hope they don't make the game as dark as Melee or Brawl though. I'd like to see a nice and colorful game like that box art (or 64) for a change.

yani

Smash Lord
Masahiro Sakurai from HAL Laboratory, producer of Kirby and Smash Bros. series had an hour of keynote speech at CEDEC developer conference, he mentioned that in the upcoming Smash Bros title, all characters will have new skills, there are many new characters, and it is fun to work on these features.
Source

Scroll down a bit, it's directly under the DBZ pictures.

edit: This might be a little off from the other source, I'll update this if I find anything else on it.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
This topic is awesome. I was just searching for news about this game, and I got plenty. Thanks for that

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Not really big news here, but it feels worthy of a small bump to this thread in this recent news lull that could as well spark a bit of discussion.

Namco Bandai plans on developing other companies games.

Overall I'd personally count this as a possible hit against a possible NB 3rd party character, as well as more evidence towards the already repeated role they have stated to have in Smash 4's development process (in case it wasn't already clear).

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Source

edit: This might be a little off from the other source, I'll update this if I find anything else on it.
I just want everyone to be clear about this source. They are the only one who reported it like that. From every other source that didn't source these guys Sakurai never mentioned all new skills for all the old characters.

:phone:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
At an expo, I do seem to recall someone, possibly a staff member telling me that Smash 4 would likely support the GamePad.

Not worth adding as info but it's something to think about.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
At an expo, I do seem to recall someone, possibly a staff member telling me that Smash 4 would likely support the GamePad.

Not worth adding as info but it's something to think about.
No one can be sure ultimately what will be used, but I think it is an absolute ultra safe bet it will be utilized. It's a normal controller with a screen, it's going to be used. Now if the screen, motion, etc are used that's another topic entirely.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
No one can be sure ultimately what will be used, but I think it is an absolute ultra safe bet it will be utilized. It's a normal controller with a screen, it's going to be used. Now if the screen, motion, etc are used that's another topic entirely.
Well yes, though I wonder what implications for competitive play would occur if it was used.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Source

since that site eventually was updated with more recent news, here's a link to the site's archive, with the news of that time.

Click here

the idea of having new skills for older characters is interesting anyway.

since this is my first time posting in this thread, I must say that this thread is very useful for finding news and insight from the games' development. I may be posting something here if I find anything interesting.

hmm... and this seems to be my 600th post here!

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
EDIT: Never mind, already had this link. My bad. :facepalm:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I already got that. :p

Technically it mentions that as well as Marth/Ike's popularity.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Here's a GDC 2008 article

The focus of the session was to talk about the character design of SSBB so Sakurai was eager to point out that in terms of character selection, the project was blessed with being able utilize characters from many other famous games. The lineup of characters was almost completely finalized in the initial planning stages which began in 2004. The team developed an oversized plan and created as much as they could, but there were always exceptions and Sega's Sonic was not part of the roster until 2007.

It was noted that the characters had to stand out and have unique move sets of their own. There needed to be a good balance of characters and even some of Nintendo's own characters could not appear due to licensing issues. Sakurai stated that in order to make the most of a character he was required to think long and hard early on in the design process as to what that specific character brought to the table.
http://wii.gamespy.com/articles/854/854372p1.html

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Well which ones? Like 90% of the characters we want appear in Brawl in some form, being assist trophies, or trophies, or stickers. I don't think there are copyright laws which say that a character can appear as a trophy, but not as a playable one... It would be weird.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I don't think I have that particular article saved just yet, but considering all the GDC 2008 stuff I already have the info contained is probably already there. Am too lazy to double check right now.

Anyway considering the main 2nd party franchises (Pokemon, Mother, Custom Robo, S&P, Starfy, Golden Sun, etc) all made appearances in Brawl it's tough to make a guess towards what series/character it could have been especially considering it's a rather vague statement, which leaves us with a few options:

A. Licensing wouldn't allow for said series/character to make a playable role, but did allow for a cameo role instead.
B. It was some really obscure series/character that people overlook more than the Wario or Yoshi series getting a new character.
Z. It was Geno.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Anyway considering the main 2nd party franchises (Pokemon, Mother, Custom Robo, S&P, Starfy, Golden Sun, etc) all made appearances in Brawl it's tough to make a guess towards what series/character it could have been especially considering it's a rather vague statement, which leaves us with a few options:

A. Licensing wouldn't allow for said series/character to make a playable role, but did allow for a cameo role instead.
B. It was some really obscure series/character that people overlook more than the Wario or Yoshi series getting a new character.
Z. It was Geno.

The problem with A, is that why would they have playability issues, but not Trophy/AT issues? I mean, it's about the character SHOWING UP in the game.. right? It shouldn't matter what they're doing. It seems like (With Intelligent systems at least) all Sakurai has to do is ASK permission. And then they usually say something like "Yeah Leaf is cool, but check out Roy". I don't see why a second party would say "No, Isaac cannot be playable, but you can add him as an AT". Who knows?

Also, maybe Banjo? But really, if it's anyone non-Nintendo-but-still-Nintendo, it's Geno.

ITSGENOITSGENOITSGENOITSGENO (I want to believe)

Also only 17 years? Should have went with Capcom, they've been making fighters since the 80s and they have Mega Man too
You know they would have added Megaman if they were working with Capcom. No questions. Also, I don't know if Capcom and Nintendo are nearly as close as Namco and Nintendo.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Sakurai on Brawl's Online

Mostly talks about the ever so common taunt matches, says he blames himself and his team for lack of experience but also the Wii's hardware limitations. Seems open to patches and wanting to alter gameplay a bit in order keep things like that from happening again.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Thought I'd post this here as a small bump and for fun:

There's just a few things that I feel that I should mention they got wrong or forgot:

1. The Melee poll was from fans, not the developers. Sorry Mew, Banjo Kazooie, and 007 fans, there is no proof they were ever planned.
2. They forgot that Sukapon from Joy Mech Fight was planned for Melee.
3. They forgot that Dixie Kong was originally planned to be a tag team character with Diddy.
4. It was actually Meta Knight, not Dedede, who Sakurai held off of during Melee's development out of the fear of over-representation of his games. Though there is unconfirmed evidence that Dedede was planned for Melee (possibly as an alternative to the 5 clone characters).

D

Deleted member

Thought I'd post this here as a small bump and for fun:

There's just a few things that I feel that I should mention they got wrong or forgot:

1. The Melee poll was from fans, not the developers. Sorry Mew, Banjo Kazooie, and 007 fans, there is no proof they were ever planned.
2. They forgot that Sukapon from Joy Mech Fight was planned for Melee.
3. They forgot that Dixie Kong was originally planned to be a tag team character with Diddy.
4. It was actually Meta Knight, not Dedede, who Sakurai held off of during Melee's development out of the fear of over-representation of his games. Though there is unconfirmed evidence that Dedede was planned for Melee (possibly as an alternative to the 5 clone characters).
Source for #4? I have heard about it, but didn't hear anything confirmed about it.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If I recall, the Meta Knight thing is taken from a statement regarding to Sakurai's comments on a poll about the 5 "new" characters revealed for Brawl (Meta Knight, Pit, Zamus, Wario, and Snake). He mentioned that he held off on including Meta Knight.

But I will say that both King Dedede and Meta Knight being held off are correct.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Source for #4? I have heard about it, but didn't hear anything confirmed about it.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/05/31/sakurais-smash-bros-update

But I will say that both King Dedede and Meta Knight being held off are correct.
Probably, though the King Dedede stuff has yet to truly be confirmed by a good source (though I personally do think it's true, it's worth mentioning it's unconfirmed and should not be taken as fact).

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Yep they did a Part 2 already. I don't see any real errors in this one so enjoy.

Top Bottom