• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Development History - Updated 3/22

D

Deleted member

No, Sakurai stated that you could play as standard Samus before her appearance on the Dojo.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Come on nobody in his right state of mind really thought that Samus wasn't confirmed in Brawl's E3 trailer.

Xigger

Smash Lord
No, Sakurai stated that you could play as standard Samus before her appearance on the Dojo.
The Dojo stating Samus was playable was on Zero Suit's update, which was a month after Samus's reveal: not revealing anything before Samus's appearance.

There WAS debate whether or not to put Samus on the confirmed fighters list, it was generally believed, but not an accepted confirmation. It's easy to say "it was obvious" years after the Dojo hype or even during the hype, but that doesn't change the facts. Samus was not confirmed in that trailer.

To keep it relevant, it's similar to saying Toon Link, Toad, or Balloon Fighter are "debunked" characters, or that Ice Climbers or Mewtwo is confirmed because they were mentioned in articles.

EBAfan11

Smash Rookie
Hello, I am new on this forum and I just interested in reading on your sources you got.​
could you add these revealed characters on specific date.​
----May 10, 2006---- E3 2006 Super Smash Bros Brawl trailer​
1.) Mario​
2.) Link​
3.) Kirby​
4.) Pikachu​
5.) Meta Knight​
6.) Pit​
(expecting Samus)​
7.) Zero Suit Samus​
8.) Wario​
9.) Snake​
10.) Fox November 3, 2006​
11.) Samus May 2, 2007​
12.) Donkey Kong June 11, 2007​
13.) Yoshi June 13, 2007​
14.) Zelda June 25, 2007​
15.) Bowser July 3, 2007​
16.) Ike August 1, 2007​
17.) Peach August 3, 2007​
18.) PKMN Trainer August 13, 2007​
19.) Diddy Kong August 22, 2007​
20.) Ice Climbers September 14, 2007​
21.) Lucas October 5, 2007​
22.) Sonic October 10, 2007​
23.) King Dedede October 25, 2007​
24.) Olimar January 9, 2008​
25.) Sheik January 15, 2008​
----January 31, 2008---- when Brawl released in Japan​
26.) Ness​
27.) Marth​
28.) Luigi​
29.) Falco​
30.) Captain Falcon​
31.) Lucario​
32.) R.O.B.​
33.) Ganondorf​
34.) Mr. Game & Watch​
35.) Jigglypuff​
36.) Toon Link​
37.) Wolf​
I cannot edit my previous post so I FIXED

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Tryphen, these links are broken FYI.
Huh, probably has to do with the site upgrades messing with the URLs.

Oh well the info in them was rather debatable:

64: In addition to Bowser, Mewtwo, Dedede, Wolf was also planned.

Melee:
Wolf was originally planned but changed to Falco because he's easier to tell apart from Fox.
Leaf was originally planned as the Marth clone, but Sakurai got a preview of FE6 and changed his mind.
A Pokemon Trainer with Gen 2 Pokemon was planned but they didn't have the time/programming skills to make it happen. Also that no Gen 2 Pokemon were a good fit.
Dedede was going to be an original character in place of the clone characters but in order to buff the roster Sakurai decided against it.
Wario was going to be a Mario clone, but Sakurai thought he deserved better.
Ganondorf only got in because of his similar build to Captain Falcon.
Pichu was the last clone added, Sakurai was originally hesitant on adding him. Young Link/Dr. Mario were the first.

I'll dig the links up if I feel like it. Probably not though, as digging through the originally Wii U thread would take forever. The above is a basic summary off the top of my head.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Huh, probably has to do with the site upgrades messing with the URLs.

Oh well the info in them was rather debatable:

64: In addition to Bowser, Mewtwo, Dedede, Wolf was also planned.

Melee:
Wolf was originally planned but changed to Falco because he's easier to tell apart from Fox.
Leaf was originally planned as the Marth clone, but Sakurai got a preview of FE6 and changed his mind.
A Pokemon Trainer with Gen 2 Pokemon was planned but they didn't have the time/programming skills to make it happen. Also that no Gen 2 Pokemon were a good fit.
Dedede was going to be an original character in place of the clone characters but in order to buff the roster Sakurai decided against it.
Wario was going to be a Mario clone, but Sakurai thought he deserved better.
Ganondorf only got in because of his similar build to Captain Falcon.
Pichu was the last clone added, Sakurai was originally hesitant on adding him. Young Link/Dr. Mario were the first.

I'll dig the links up if I feel like it. Probably not though, as digging through the originally Wii U thread would take forever. The above is a basic summary off the top of my head.
This might be one of the links. It contains the 64 info, anyway. I admit it's somewhat fishy that cednym doesn't source his info, and IIRC there hasn't been anyone whose been able to verify what he said, so w/e. Though I've been guilty of using his info as a source in the past

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Yeah it's stickied for all to see. Anyway while I'm remembering I might as well add this:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/20/5127488/a-day-in-the-extremely-busy-life-of-masahiro-sakurai

- Is having more fun developing the game than he did with Melee or Brawl
- Perfect "Imbalance" is what makes Smash fun
- Doesn't trust other people to work on balance, states there have been issues in the past that have led him to do it mainly by himself, also think it's faster to do it himself rather than having to explain to someone what to do and then watch them do it
- Praises having help from Namco Bandai to help streamline things
- States that since everything has to go through him first he tends to be one of the last people to leave the office each day
- Based on the timeline given, he's been pulling 12 hour work days.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Yeah this news has been traveling around lately. We're all glad to see how serious Sakurai is taking this project.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
New Smash 4 dojo in 2014 PLEASE

They need to organize all the damn info better

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
The website is very organized and looks better than the Brawl dojo. Also, the pics are actually 97% awesome.
Very organized?

Characters are arranged all out of order, there is no running list of things revealed so far other than characters, and he gives almost no information on anything. I'm sure you do enjoy the ****ty pics though, I'd expect nothing less from a guy who supports pacman

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
If you are complaining about the Dojo I would ask that you take it to another thread. This thread may be in a lull, but it is reserved for discussing the development of the Smash series, the latest Sakurai Interviews, or adding to the OP.

If you are looking for what is confirmed please refer to this thread.

While I'm remembering, I have also updated the OP with the latest Sakurai Interview on Balancing Smash 4, also added a link to the Smash Miiverse community.

"Shion"

Smash Ace
NNID
Shion_Sensei
Fantastic article, just as long as he doesn't **** it up like with Brawl.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
Got this from NeoGaf. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=739531&page=148U

Super Smash Bros. for Wii and 3DS Development Schedule
  • Iwata announced Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS during Nintendo E3 2011 conference in order to attract new team members
  • During Feb 2012, Sakurai tweeted that, during his brainstorming, he had been looking over Super Smash Bros Dojo, and reflecting on the past game's development.
  • E3 2012 Nintendo Direct confirmed joint-project between Sora, LTD and Namco Bandai
  • During June 2012, Sakurai reported that the game's development was in its first steps.
  • During June 2012, They announced that Sakurai and Namco Bandai already completed a working prototype.
  • During Aug 2012, Sakurai stated that game system had been completed.
  • E3 2013 Nintendo Direct release a first trailer of Super Smash Bros 3DS and Wii U, which confirmed 9 veteran characters and 3 newcomers; Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, Samus, Pit, Fox, Donkey Kong, Bowser, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Mega Man.
  • Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS website went up on June 13, 2013
  • Daily Image started on June 13, 2013.

Informations
  • Yo****o Higuchi and Keiki Kobayashi are team leaders for Development teams.
  • Sakurai empresses his interests that he intended to bring back old Nintendo characters for the games.
  • Feeling that the series had found its target audience and introducing gimmicks would hinder rather than help the brand, Sakurai explained that he was thinking of ways to introduce a new, different experience, while retaining the frantic gameplay from previous installments.
  • Tripping were removed from the game, and gameplay would be between Melee and Brawl

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Does anyone have the article where Capcom confirmed that Mega Man wasn't in Brawl?

D

Deleted member

Before Pit's confirmation, Sakurai said something that Pit might return (in a tweet IIRC). Could someone find this? I know it was said.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I think that was in one of the Uprising interviews when people asked him about Smash, and he just gave the interviewer a dodge-the-question answer. I threw out those interviews a while back, so I can't help you.

D

Deleted member

I think that was in one of the Uprising interviews when people asked him about Smash, and he just gave the interviewer a dodge-the-question answer. I threw out those interviews a while back, so I can't help you.
I do know that it was mentioned in the SSB Wii U thread (before Namco Bandai was announced to be part of the game).

...I'll find it if I must.

Edit: And found it.

"When asked if Pit would make any more appearances in videogames, Mr. Sakurai replied that he's thinking about including him in the next Smash Bros. as a playable character."

This is the original source in case anyone is curious.

Last edited by a moderator:

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
Thanks for all the hard work on this thread. I learned a lot!

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Well, after reading all that......

Sakurai is now officially my favorite person I've never met. Sorry Koji Kondo, I still admire you. :p

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

DYKG has come out with yet another Smash video. This time it's mostly just textures and sound effects in Melee though, but is still interesting none the less.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Granted it's only audio, but you can hear all the questions that were asked. Haven't gone through the entire video myself, but there seems to be a lot of development/balance/mechanic related questions.

D

Deleted member

Video version.
At least just what Nintendo allowed to be shown.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Am positive that that's a made up article looking through it and the titles of other articles on the site.

That type of journalism makes the Gaming Industry look bad. :glare:
It is fake. It's basically The Onion but for games.

I saw that a while ago and I thought it was funny.

Top Bottom