• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash UK Discussion Thread - Check first post for tournaments, facebook info and videos!

Pickled_No0b

Smash Journeyman
tamoo- when do you and hugo get to surbiton station, i could meet you there and we could go together

gm jack

Smash Lord
How much on average does it cost to make these kinda trips anyway for you?

And i've seen you on the boards quite alot but have no idea who you have played with lol, have you played with people like Craiigg and stuff?
It's about £15 to get into London, and TCs looks like about £20 to get to. I have played with Craig (got *****), but he seemed to acknowledge I know what I need to do, I just can't do it, if that makes sense. So I've been playing my gf occasionally and practicing basic tech skill. Again, I know I still suck, but I seem to manage to occasionally pull something decent together, just because Sheik and Puff are that gay to play against.

As I can't afford to go to play people regularly (it's a complete no go at uni due to work load, and money also comes into it), I have to theory craft a lot, hence a fair bit of time on the boards. Might try and make TCs as well as my own thing a couple of days after for my holiday smash :).

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
It's about £15 to get into London, and TCs looks like about £20 to get to. I have played with Craig (got *****), but he seemed to acknowledge I know what I need to do, I just can't do it, if that makes sense. So I've been playing my gf occasionally and practicing basic tech skill. Again, I know I still suck, but I seem to manage to occasionally pull something decent together, just because Sheik and Puff are that gay to play against.

As I can't afford to go to play people regularly (it's a complete no go at uni due to work load, and money also comes into it), I have to theory craft a lot, hence a fair bit of time on the boards. Might try and make TCs as well as my own thing a couple of days after for my holiday smash :).
Ohhh ok, then I guess that ain't tooo much money when you look at your location.

Well anyway hopefully you will have a good time this monday if you make it and I will give you some advice if you want it. There isn't that much sheik mains so it's good someone is playing her lol.

gm jack

Smash Lord
I did notice that. Might be because there seems to be a load of good Fox/Falco players, which give Sheik a hard time. Also spoke to Amsah and determined that Peach destroys Sheik in PAL, as everything she had in NSTC (killing Uair and Dthrow) are gone. Still, it's fun to play gay. Must have been what attracted me to brawl. :p

VA

Smash Hero
Peach does beat Sheik in PAL, it's just that much harder than in NTSC. But don't let that discourage you. Also you don't need regular access to good players to get good, just focus on what you need to work on. I'm a self made player in this respect and more people should acknowledge this and the possibilities you have when playing alone. Deathgazer is kind of similar.

gm jack

Smash Lord
The trouble is that I can't play during term time (I pull 70 hour working weeks plus rowing and attempting to have a life) so for 8 weeks at a time, what tech skill I have dies. So playing gay works good for me. <3 Dthrow.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Practicing to get your tech skill to a good level which you are consitent with it is pretty essential and you literally need good tech skill to be one of the top players.

Not saying Tech Skill > Mindgames but you actually need a decent amount of tech skill to pull off really good mindgames and just be an overall better player in putting pressure on your opponents and reacting to certain situations.

VA

Smash Hero
Practicing to get your tech skill to a good level which you are consitent with it is pretty essential and you literally need good tech skill to be one of the top players.

Not saying Tech Skill > Mindgames but you actually need a decent amount of tech skill to pull off really good mindgames and just be an overall better player in putting pressure on your opponents and reacting to certain situations.
:/ you need the basics. Forget bull**** flashy sutff. If you're 100% on using different jump heights, fast falling perfectly, l-cancelling without thinking, wavedashing/landing, turning round neutral B's and your movement you're basically done with most characters. Peach/Fox/Falco have a lot of specific techniques that are harder to use but with the exception of FCing and a few other things with peach, shine uses with falco/fox none are that necessary.

I can do more fox bull**** that any other in the europe (sorry prof but I can), it doesn't help though. LEARN THE BASICS, also you can practice lots more than just tech on your own and against bad players. The best thing to practice is doing good edgeguards on your friends. Watch gimps and practice doing them as you see in vids.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Who said flashy bull**** lol.....I said good techskill, a clear and obvious difference lol.

He was just saying he loses his techskill after not playing so I told him to practice till he becomes consistent with it, no need to get all defensive and stuff but I guess you couldn't help it.

And you keep thinking that you have the most technical fox or person in Europe lol. ;)
Cos I never even get a glimpse of that when I play you.
But I guess we're all the most technical in Europe while practicing in our rooms :confused:

Edit - TC how many people are coming to your house so far cos it seems like quite alot lol.
I hope we can get our hands on that third TV cos from the looks of it, it would help a dam lot lol.

Pickled_No0b

Smash Journeyman
:/ you need the basics. Forget bull**** flashy sutff. If you're 100% on using different jump heights, fast falling perfectly, l-cancelling without thinking, wavedashing/landing, turning round neutral B's and your movement you're basically done with most characters. Peach/Fox/Falco have a lot of specific techniques that are harder to use but with the exception of FCing and a few other things with peach, shine uses with falco/fox none are that necessary.

I can do more fox bull**** that any other in the europe (sorry prof but I can), it doesn't help though. LEARN THE BASICS, also you can practice lots more than just tech on your own and against bad players. The best thing to practice is doing good edgeguards on your friends. Watch gimps and practice doing them as you see in vids.
I know you have talked about stuff like this before, and how you can get good without playing good people. So how/what do you do against comps that you can learn from, other than just tech skill? I'm not disagreing, just generally curious. I mean they dont DI out of combos, their attacks are insanely predicable and recoveries are awefull...

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
You do undoubtably need to play good people to be the best you can be.

There's no way you can be the best by playing people who aren't that good but you can obviously improve.

VA

Smash Hero
how would you know if you haven't done it? Anyway, if you add me on msn I'll tell you more of what I use it for. I'm not being flamed on here. Prof I read your post as you need good tech skill, I was saying you don't. also my tech skill freezes at tournaments, I'm far more technical when I play my friends, I'm sure you're the same.

Pickled_No0b

Smash Journeyman
how would you know if you haven't done it? Anyway, if you add me on msn I'll tell you more of what I use it for. I'm not being flamed on here. Prof I read your post as you need good tech skill, I was saying you don't. also my tech skill freezes at tournaments, I'm far more technical when I play my friends, I'm sure you're the same.
yeah i remember literally getting waveshined all over FD when we had a couple of friendlies at PH2. Anyway, im not a big msn user, but if i see you on the 3rd in southampton we can talk then

edit- actually **** it, my msn is calumf35@hotmail.com

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
There's no proof of anyone being the BEST without playing people who are good or better or without tournament experience but however there is evidence of people rapidly improving once they start doing them three things.

And the reason why I (as you internet people like to call it) flamed you is because you tried to imply I was saying something which I wasn't and then tried to make it seem like I was silly for saying it, when I didn't say it in the first place lol :confused:

lol And about the most technical person in the europe.....Well then you ain't the most technical person in Europe if you can only do it when no1 is looking or with your friends lol
I think TC is the most technical person in Europe but it just freezes as soon he is at tournaments as well.......isn't that right TC lol?

And yes it does happen to me but to a certain degree, but I still ain't seen you be the most technical person in Europe in FRIENDLIES either, and there is no pressure in friendlies, but as I said before, we are all the most technical people in Europe when practicing in our room.

Cos I know I am the most technical fox in Europe :confused:

VA

Smash Hero
Prof you're guilty of doing the exact same thing to me, you're just arguing semantics with me for the sake of arguing, just get something else to do with your time. You have no idea of the pressure I feel in friendlies either so please don't assume you do. One day I will be able to play as technically as I can in friendlies with my friends so I guess you'll see it then :)

The way to practice without "good players" basically involves vigilance. Tournament play is vital so you can identify the areas that you need to work on. You must pay close attention to what you're being punished on, try not to focus on tech skill because that's something altogether different. Your habits are what you can identify in tournament, your match up weaknesses and edge guarding techniques.

Tech skill as I have already said is only important in the basics, you have to get them down but don't think much about it beyond that. Watch videos/read threads to get ideas on how you can edge guard better using options, you can pick up tons more than this like spacing on certain attacks and such but this can also be learnt through playing but sometimes a video will help you pick it up quicker. Once you know what you should be doing you have to practice getting into the situation where you're able to do it.

For example: I want to learn how to edgeguard Falco as Marth. In tournament I'm all over the place, trying something different everytime, not knowing what to do. I realise this, go home and watch M2k vs various falco's. I realise that Falco's side B can be interrupted by a well placed jab, I try to work this into my game in friendlies with my significantly less skilled friends/vs cpu (doesn't work vs cpu in this situation but it could easily be tipper fair > up B against a firefox which you can practice vs CPU).

Basically, you can work out what your options are in a lot of different situations. This will allow you to improve aspects of your game quickly by clearly implementing certain things into your game. It should be very small and specific things like getting a certain combo or edgeguard off versus a certain character.

This is the way I've worked on my game and it's both systematic and laborious. The result is I can do most things with most high tier characters. I didn't do this with my Falcon and the result is that I've got a weird unique falcon but it developed last of all my high tier characters. I developed Samus first, Marth, Peach, Fox/Falco, Sheik, Falcon.

rustediron

Smash Lord
And the reason why I (as you internet people like to call it) flamed you is because you tried to imply I was saying something which I wasn't and then tried to make it seem like I was silly for saying it, when I didn't say it in the first place lol :confused:
Straw man fallacy :)

The trouble is that I can't play during term time (I pull 70 hour working weeks plus rowing and attempting to have a life) so for 8 weeks at a time, what tech skill I have dies. So playing gay works good for me. <3 Dthrow.
Come onnnn, at least once a term?
Even L-J manages to fit in an hour here and there, and classics is a lot more work than people tend to think =/

And you've joined the rowers? xD
Hope you get used to early mornings ;)

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Prof you're guilty of doing the exact same thing to me, you're just arguing semantics with me for the sake of arguing, just get something else to do with your time. You have no idea of the pressure I feel in friendlies either so please don't assume you do. One day I will be able to play as technically as I can in friendlies with my friends so I guess you'll see it then :)
What you were guilty for was saying I was saying something which I didn't say, in other words jumping to conclusions just because you want to feel like you got all the information for everything and you like correcting everyone, but in this case it didn't really work to your advantage :confused: :(

BTW I will try to find something to do with my time, wait a min......................................................................................OH I found it, I will start doing it after I finished this post if that's alright with you. :)
Make sure you do the same, it will help you about with your emotional problem I think :confused:

Actually me implying that you feel no pressure in friendlies is simply me quoting your comments in the past about you not taking them seriously......so wot you're implying is you feel pressured in friendlies while you don't take them seriously :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

loool @ 'One day I will be able to as technically as I can in friendlies with my friends'......that sounds like them new people who come to tournaments and cry about them not playing as good as they do against their friends or in their room.

Tech skill as I have already said is only important in the basics, you have to get them down but don't think much about it beyond that. Watch videos/read threads to get ideas on how you can edge guard better using options, you can pick up tons more than this like spacing on certain attacks and such but this can also be learnt through playing but sometimes a video will help you pick it up quicker. Once you know what you should be doing you have to practice getting into the situation where you're able to do it.
Yeah this is true, but I couldn't be bothered like you as he simply said....

THEN I SAID

Then you went.

WAHHHHHHH FLASHY TECH SKILL IS NOT NEEDED, YOU'RE WRONGGGG WAHHHHH IM THE MOST TECHNICAL IN EUROPE...........I KNOW THE SOLUTION, DO THIS DO THAT!!!!!

Straw man fallacy :)
loool Pretty much yeah.

But no-one round here uses them gay terminologies because they are gay lol.

VA

Smash Hero
I feel pressured when playing friendlies at a tournament because I know everyones judging me, which is part of the reason for not playing as seriously as I possibly can. Get it now?

eurghh whatever prof /care what I said what you said etc etc.

anyway I hope some people can find use in what I typed up.

Pickled_No0b

Smash Journeyman
^^ yes VA that was helpfull, thank you

lol Sorry.....but it really is.

I am a fox main if you haven't noticed the sig and the avatar and the words under the sig lol.

So I ACTUALLY know.
Ok fair enough, but what I mean is, you dont see players doing waveshine waveshine waveshine often in actual matches, normally just waveshine to grab or u-smash, because its easier, surely you cant disagree with that! :laugh:

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I feel pressured when playing friendlies at a tournament because I know everyones judging me, which is part of the reason for not playing as seriously as I possibly can. Get it now?

eurghh whatever prof /care what I said what you said etc etc.

anyway I hope some people can find use in what I typed up.
Yeah of course I get it.....but it's still dumb and still jumps into the box of 'Proof VA is not the most technical person in Europe' loool.

But of course you can have the 'I am the most technical in Europe while in my room' reward if you want that consolation :confused:??????

This situation reminds me of the last dispute we had and I smashboardly put you in your place and then you resorted to insulting me.....AHHHH good memories.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Ok fair enough, but what I mean is, you dont see players doing waveshine waveshine waveshine often in actual matches, normally just waveshine to grab or u-smash, because its easier, surely you cant disagree with that! :laugh:
Well it does actually happen in matches but it's true that it doesn't happen too often.

But despite it not being used often in matches this does not change the difficulty factor.

It can become harder depening on how your opponets DI is on the shine but no offence I don't think you were exactly smashing the controller in any direction to make it more difficult for him lol.

VA

Smash Hero
Yeah of course I get it.....but it's still dumb and still jumps into the box of 'Proof VA is not the most technical person in Europe' loool.

But of course you can have the 'I am the most technical in Europe while in my room' reward if you want that consolation :confused:??????

This situation reminds me of the last dispute we had and I smashboardly put you in your place and then you resorted to insulting me.....AHHHH good memories.
I didn't "insult" you anymore than you consistently insult me. I didn't even read your response and I've never felt put in my place by you, merely ignored and blasted with insensitive remarks time and time again. Leave Britney alone. Look at you talking **** to me even now, just leave britney alone.

p.s perfect backwards waveshine > turnaround usmash I always found hard.

gm jack

Smash Lord
The thing is, it is the basics that kill me. L-cancelling and short hopping consistently aren't easy for me, while properly SHFFLing is a real hit or miss situation. I know if I want to get any good, I can't afford to miss a forward air because I full not short hop or get grabbed because I miss an L cancel. I know what I need to do, but am struggling to get the muscle memory down so that I can concentrate on playing instead of tech skill.

Come onnnn, at least once a term?
Even L-J manages to fit in an hour here and there, and classics is a lot more work than people tend to think =/

And you've joined the rowers? xD
Hope you get used to early mornings ;)
I know most other courses are a lot, but vet med kind of takes the piss, which isn't helped as all my supervisiors siad I should be aiming for a first. Besides, I don't have a setup :p:p.

And the early mornings are fine once you are up. I would only be sleeping otherwise.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I didn't "insult" you anymore than you consistently insult me. I didn't even read your response and I've never felt put in my place by you, merely ignored and blasted with insensitive remarks time and time again. Leave Britney alone. Look at you talking **** to me even now, just leave britney alone.

p.s perfect backwards waveshine > turnaround usmash I always found hard.
My insults are always on point and related to the truth and I insult you more often making more insults more valid.

Your insults (flames lol) are obviously off point, meaning that you can't do it.

I thought you didn't want to come on these boards and argue anymore....cos according to the last few pages that's what you been doing lol, I knew you could never change.

Predictable VA.

The thing is, it is the basics that kill me. L-cancelling and short hopping consistently aren't easy for me, while properly SHFFLing is a real hit or miss situation. I know if I want to get any good, I can't afford to miss a forward air because I full not short hop or get grabbed because I miss an L cancel. I know what I need to do, but am struggling to get the muscle memory down so that I can concentrate on playing instead of tech skill.
looool This is kinda jokes cos it just returns to what my advice was earlier and how you're problem is basically what I told you to practice until VA came along and tried to give you a 'I am fully knowegable on this subject and will give you a high depth post' post lol.

So forget the majortiy of VA's long post and just practice your tech skill till you become consistent with it since consistency obviously seems to be your problem.

And THEN you can move on from there.

VA

Smash Hero
I don't think that happened, you're just a big twister of the truth.

I'm not really arguing with you either, I just defended myself againt your slander. I do happen to know quite a bit about improving without good players to practice with, I barely wrote about tech skill if you actually read my post, there was a lot more to take out of it than that. It didn't sound like you were talking about the basics in your post but my smash apprentice in brighton has the same problem as gm jack, he knows what he should be doing just can't do it but my advice applies anyway. Just focus on one thing at a time rather than SHFFL BLAH BLAH perfect everything....

you should learn to do one specific thing like shffl one aerial to grab or whatever and focus on getting it in your game. far more useful than having tech itself are the applications....

Also the reason I don't want to argue with you is because you only feel like you win because you basically ignore everything I write or interpret it in some really obscure way that fits your cause, there's not a lot I can say in all honesty without being wrong by you because you're a senseless troll.

Pickled_No0b

Smash Journeyman
tamoo/hugo- let me know when your getting to surbiton station and ill meet you, im sure at least one of you has my number

J03

Smash Master
lol reading your arguments is like watching a sitcom.

you've got Pro with his 'im right your wrong' approach

VA with his 'well actually im pretty good and i disagree' approach

and Fuzzy piping in with 'lol rofl lmao i can do everything lmao rofl lol'

the rest of you are like guest stars apart from TC who is the comedy relief

VA

Smash Hero
haha it's just a stubborn battle between me and pro and everyone else just watches and laughs.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
crap lol, i play black

"ledgejumps (pressing y or x on the ledge) are slightly different below 100 and above 100. besides usually being slower, in falcon's case, his >100 ledgejump goes slightly higher. you can see this by ledgejumping on kongo jungle over 100 (and holding anything except forward) and perfect landing on the platform, where ledgejumping under 100 you don't get to the platform"

that is so useful to know :p

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9175638&postcount=116

I made one too

Top Bottom