• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash UK Discussion Thread - Check first post for tournaments, facebook info and videos!

imoneofthem

Smash Apprentice
Haha, guess we'll just have to stay up all night or something then; that, or a hostel. The first night is gonna suck.
Kone said:
This the same problem we've had since the days when I tried doing all of the organising for the London community, either we find a hall which throws in overnight stay OR housing. Either of the two are extremely difficult to find in this city.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Yeah I'm coming to the next one. I didn't get *****, the number of sets just seemed to work in charles' favor. I'm gonna be bringing out the pikachu again to give out a large dose of sodomy to all participants. Who's first?

Sanu

Smash Champion
Regardless of the ****ty housing situation, the fact remains that I now have a free day (the 27th) to smash with you guys. Is anyone able to host? That day is basically the only time I'll get to meet up with some of you and play =P

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Yeah I'm coming to the next one. I didn't get *****, the number of sets just seemed to work in charles' favor. I'm gonna be bringing out the pikachu again to give out a large dose of sodomy to all participants. Who's first?
loool I will destroy that pickachu like I ***** you in that match at the last ranbat lol.

N y do u hve pink prof?
No idea you know lol

Regardless of the ****ty housing situation, the fact remains that I now have a free day (the 27th) to smash with you guys. Is anyone able to host? That day is basically the only time I'll get to meet up with some of you and play =P
Yeah I wanna play you and record the matches iswell.
Maybe Fuzzyness might host an event but I will speak to him about it.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Do you have recording equipment Fuzzy at your house?

Cos the canadians in another thread said they wanna see how he does against us lol.

So let's show them what we can do to him:)

Unreal91

Smash Journeyman
I'm still coming to the montly on the 29th although i haven't played any smash for about a week i seriously need a training method that will actually make me improve :'(.

Pickled_No0b

Smash Journeyman
I'm still coming to the montly on the 29th although i haven't played any smash for about a week i seriously need a training method that will actually make me improve :'(.
If your willing to get the train out to surbiton, should be around £6.00 with a travel card, id be up for giving you a few games! :)

anyway see you all soon.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
no johns :laugh:. you will always get a seed in your pool so you will always have a tough opponent. It's up to you to play well enough to beat them and earn your place in the bracket

Yeniths

East Midlands!
Alright guys I'm hoping to make this or SvB I'm not sure which yet but will most likely come with Trio3.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
You should be practicing all of the basics ATs (Advanced Techniques) and become consistent with them.
Last time when I watched you on the livestream I would defintely say this is what you need to do. And watch vidoes of other marths to get an idea of how to play with the character.

no johns :laugh:. you will always get a seed in your pool so you will always have a tough opponent. It's up to you to play well enough to beat them and earn your place in the bracket
I agree lol.
But I think he just might be annoyed at the fact he gets the same top seed.
I hate the idea of the 4 people in 1 pool thing.
I think it REALLY makes the outcome of the top 2 predictable and I saw a hell of alot of predictable outcomes in the pools and I just see it as a bit unfair to people who are new and don't stand a chance but maybe i'm wrong.

Alright guys I'm hoping to make this or SvB I'm not sure which yet but will most likely come with Trio3.
Come to this, seriously.
The majortiy of the people aren't going SvB due to it's venue price shooting up to £20/25 and plus it's a 3 day event which will mean you will have to be housed for 3 days.
You will have more fun at the 29th where the majortiy of people are going to be there and the competition is higher.

MakoMako

Smash Journeyman
Prof, would you mind if I changed it to pools of 4-5 with 3 people going through instead of 2?

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Go SVB I will 100% go to that. But it seems no one is going so I will win it easy.
Willz im not going to SVB its costing yoo much and hardly any1 is going.

George were going to this, and im gonna enter Melee this time, KingNDJ we gotta play some matches this time.

king_NDj247

Smash Ace
Yea will do trio if u saw my earlier post this is gonna probably b my last. I'm hoping pools r top 3 go through coz we hve enough time n if I hve anything 2 say about it ppl will b doing those matches quickly there will b no free tvs 4 friendlies until after tournament is finished or we hve a 20min break 2 sort everything out

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Prof, would you mind if I changed it to pools of 4-5 with 3 people going through instead of 2?
I think that sounds good as long as the brackets can handle it but yeah, 3 people sounds better.

George were going to this, and im gonna enter Melee this time, KingNDJ we gotta play some matches this time.
Nice, are you beginning to like melee now lol?

MakoMako

Smash Journeyman
The cash money is split 60/30/10.

So you guyz, do you think pools should be best of 1 or best of 3. Best of 3 MIGHT work if the pools have like 4 people each but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to risk flopping such a good day just for a few more games at the beginning keeping in mind that 3 people advancing would also make the brackets slightly longer.
Best of 1 when you only have like 3 games in the pool might be a little frightening to some though, and best of 3 would give some new people more time to get over their nerves by the time they're in brackets.

jjlinyard

Smash Ace
best of 3, top 3 go through pools of 5/6 depending on tunrout, may make the bracket outcome less predictable and can provide better experience for the mid skilled players.

Pickled_No0b

Smash Journeyman
yeah best of 3. I know the best players always end up in the finals anyway, but if its best of 1 a couple of SDs may cost you a place in the bracket that you really should have. (using the chain instead of up b in my case :p )

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I like the sound of best of 3 cos even if the new people do not get through atleast they got a bit more experience even if it does stay at top 2 go through in a pool of through.

And these are the people that we want to attract so give them a taste of tournament and counterpicking and stage banning and stuff.

BUT this does mean that EVERYONE needs to co-operate with the people which are in their pool and please if you acctually don't have another game to play (Brawl or Melee) sit at the TV which your pool is set to. I will try to walk around and make sure everything is running smoothly but theres no point of doing the best of 3 thing if it wastes alot of time cos people took too long to play their games cos they were playing friendlies or watching their friends sets.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
this is gonna be the 1st tourey i go to!!! d^_^b wohooo... hope i do well lol
how is the money split btw?
1st place gets 60% of the money
2nd 30%
3rd 10%

I thought you went to the last one lol but Good luck for your first tournament anyway, make sure whatever the outcome don't feel discouraged to play at the tournament but instead try to soak up as much knowledge as you can about the game.

Try to find out if there are any people that play in your area so you could meet up with them cos it's always good to have a friend to play with.

HSAM Don't you lot live in West London? IFFF you do then maybe you could meet up with OmegaExile.

jjlinyard

Smash Ace
yeah hmmm true true, but if i am correct he plays brawl only where as we are really just focusing on melee lol ive basically quit brawl so have 2 other members.

MakoMako

Smash Journeyman
How about **** pools and just do brackets with however many people come, I'm looking at all these regional tournaments and they're having like 45 man brackets.

Fact : pools is a waste of time unless there are like 70-80+ people at the tournament.

Which is more convenient for new people who want to get used to the smash community, best of 3 pools then brackets. OR straight to brackets then lots of friendlies cuz of the sheer amount of time left due to skipping pools?

Let me add numbers to make it more clear.

say we have 36 entrants for the smash tournament.

A bracket of 36 would mean there will be 71 matches taking place for the whole tournament to finish.

9 pools of 4 would mean there are 108 best of 3 matches for pools. Then 18 people advance, brackets will require another 35 matches to finish. So the tournament would require 143 matches to finish.

71 vs 143 SOMEBODY tell me why we didn't scrap pools sooner.

Disclaimer : I am black, not asian therefore all this maths may be total and utter bull****.

Top Bottom