• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

TANK64

Smash Lord
Franklin I found another 64 player in Florida last night. He was beating me here and there and used to play online, said he was part of some "ixi" clan or something.

He goes to UCF and he mains yoshi.
part of ixi lol, cool. Wonder how long he's been going to UCF. Does he have a name/tag?

FL be BREEDin' dem Yoshi mains mang :cool: .

B Link

Smash Lord
Apparently there's going to be a tourney this Sat. with at least 10 people near where I live. Me, ybombb, *** vwls are probably going. I'll post results if anyone is interested.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
well since life is a game of repeated prisoners dilemma for an indefinite number of repetitions, it actually pays to be nice

although i think being nice is different (in connotation at least) from being a "nice guy"

B Link

Smash Lord
well since life is a game of repeated prisoners dilemma for an indefinite number of repetitions, it actually pays to be nice

although i think being nice is different (in connotation at least) from being a "nice guy"
Why do you have to mention that life is specifically a prisoners dilemma (just curious, I know what P.D. is though)?

"Nice guys finish last that's...why I'll treat you like trash!" -- a cookie to whoever knows where that's from.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
ORLY? looks like Semp is a nice guy :p
hey, i'm just thinking of the women here

if all women date douchebags, then they're all gonna be broken by a young age and will assume all men are *******s, leading to perpetuating stereotypes of a profoundly negative nature, meaning normal people (not necessary nice guys, but not douchebags) get stuck with the choice between broken, damaged, or lesbian.

not a good time for anybody involved

all because of the douchebags

gg

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Why do you have to mention that life is specifically a prisoners dilemma (just curious, I know what P.D. is though)?
In most situations in life you have two choices - be nice to other people (cooperate) or be an ******* (defect). In game theory this is exactly the same as the prisoner's dilemma. Game theory says that if you're going to play prisoner's dilemma over and over and you don't know when you're going to stop, then the best play is to be nice because if you choose to be an ******* then for all future games people are going to be *******s back to you.

"Nice guys finish last that's...why I'll treat you like trash!" -- a cookie to whoever knows where that's from.
I thought that song was hilarious but I still prefer "They say that nice guys finish last ... well ... thank god i'm a douchebag"

hey, i'm just thinking of the women here

if all women date douchebags, then they're all gonna be broken by a young age and will assume all men are *******s, leading to perpetuating stereotypes of a profoundly negative nature, meaning normal people (not necessary nice guys, but not douchebags) get stuck with the choice between broken, damaged, or lesbian.

not a good time for anybody involved

all because of the douchebags

gg
but can ONE MAN turn that tide? haha

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Franklin I found another 64 player in Florida last night. He was beating me here and there and used to play online, said he was part of some "ixi" clan or something.

He goes to UCF and he mains yoshi.
Ji n??

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yo I have the raphnet adapter (http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_n64_usb_adapters/index.php) but today it started flipping out on me and not recognizing any buttons or anything from my hori. Eventually I found out that the only way to make it respond was to have the thick cylindrical receptor part (with the three holes in it) lie perfectly flat on like a table.

Anyone know what my problem might be/how to fix it?

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
There's probably some sort of connection issue. Looks like when it's not flat, something is not touching.

Probably the only way to fix that would be to open it up and solder everything back into place.

Peek~

Smash Lord
Hullaballoo and howdy doo
Musty prawns and timbuktu

Yeltzy by and hippity hoo
Kick 'em in the dishpan, hoo hoo hoo!

Sangoku

Smash Master
Yo I have the raphnet adapter (http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_n64_usb_adapters/index.php) but today it started flipping out on me and not recognizing any buttons or anything from my hori. Eventually I found out that the only way to make it respond was to have the thick cylindrical receptor part (with the three holes in it) lie perfectly flat on like a table.

Anyone know what my problem might be/how to fix it?
uncheck raw data, uncheck raw data, calibrate in windows, uncheck raw data, calibrate in windows.

JK, I don't know.

Also, I agree peek.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Switzerland has 4 official languages: german (3/4 of the swiss), french, italian and romanche (don't know if there's an english term for this). So I'm in the french speaking side, that's why my first language is french. At school, we're supposed to learn german and in high school, we can choose to drop german for italian or keep german. In fact, the french speaking side sucks at german/ italian compared to how well they speak french (just like we have german at school, they have french). We obviously have english classes too.

I'm not sure most europeans speak as many languages to be honest. The most common is: their native language + one or two I guess.

It depends on what we mean by "speaking a language" too. For example, I don't consider myself as "speaking english", since for me, to say one speaks a language means he's completely fluent, makes (almost) no mistakes, understands perfectly, etc... In that regard, most people only speak one language or maybe two.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
@Sangoku, I gotta say, you certainly speak English damn well, and I notice you using a lot more "proper" grammar than most. For example, using "one" instead of "you".

I'd say you're on your way to fluency.

Hell, you even managed to put the comma OUTSIDE the quotations! Bravo! Even battle-hardened English veterans flub that one up!

*golf claps*

Sangoku

Smash Master
Lol, thanks semp. But here it's different, since I can think before writing and I can slowly read posts. If I watch a Melee vid (for example) with commentary, I think I will understand like one third of what they say.

Eikelmann: sadly that's true. But not only are the Americans to blame, that also holds for the UK and other english-speaking countries.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
apparently in America your supposed to put commas in quotations unless it is solely a letter or number inside the quotations. In England however commas go outside the quotations for the most part.

http://grammartips.homestead.com/inside.html

It'd be nice if everyone just spoke one language, at least for efficiency's sake.

TANK64

Smash Lord
apparently in America your supposed to put commas in quotations unless it is solely a letter or number inside the quotations. In England however commas go outside the quotations for the most part.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=216422&page=1165

It'd be nice if everyone just spoke one language, at least for efficiency's sake.
qft

Commas do go inside lol.
--and you linked this thread btw xD

@E-Kel, yea I can agree that's the stance for most Americans, and can see where they're coming from but don't share the same sentiments. But I was raised with more than one language so that's probably why lol (English/Spanish). My German has had to take a back seat, since I have been so busy with school recently, but I want to get fluent. Such a nice language.

I can understand and read most all Italian/Portuguese, but with French I'm at a complete loss. I can't understand a damn word they say.

@SanGoku, Yeah dude. If you write pretty damn fluent bro lol.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I've always been taught that punctuation only goes inside quotes if said punctuation is part of the quoted material.

Actually, I was never taught anything of the sort. Oddly enough, this is something we never touched upon in grammar classes... I sort of implied it myself through reason, logic, and the internet.

But, now that I look at this, it appears American usage of putting punctuation in quotes is illogical.

wtf, america?

Top Bottom