• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic the Hedgehog; a 2nd series rep

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Just to clear things up. All 3 can use spin dash, homing attack and spin charge. You could give any one of them the exact same moveset as he had in brawl because of that. The moves sonic were given were all the basic moves of pretty much every playable character. In all honesty when you compare Sonic to Shadow, Shadow looks like the original one with far more unique abilities than Sonic has. People see fast hedgehog and they instantly label clone. If you're going to say he's a sonic clone then you need to do some research.

Shadow=V + all of sonics moves
http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Chaos_Powers

You can't say you've ever seen sonic do this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTXxeqvF_ig

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Just to clear things up. All 3 can use spin dash, homing attack and spin charge. You could give any one of them the exact same moveset as he had in brawl because of that. The moves sonic were given were all the basic moves of pretty much every playable character. In all honesty when you compare Sonic to Shadow, Shadow looks like the original one with far more unique abilities than Sonic has. People see fast hedgehog and they instantly label clone. If you're going to say he's a sonic clone then you need to do some research.

Shadow=V + all of sonics moves
http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Chaos_Powers

You can't say you've ever seen sonic do this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTXxeqvF_ig
*sigh*

You guys really aren't getting it.

We have three characters here: Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow. Which one is most identical to Sonic? Shadow. Which one is least identical to Sonic? Tails. You really can't argue that... like honestly it isn't even up for debate... unless, you are ignorant. Yeah, Shadow has his differences, I get it, but compare the contrast between Knuckles/Tails and Sonic with the contrast between Shadow and Sonic. The contrast between the former characters are simply TOO large to ignore.

Let me explain the Toon Link example: Toon Link and Link are both Link's, correct? They both have the same features and weapons, but they both have differences as well. Just so happens that NONE of these differences were addressed in Brawl, despite the large potential for contrast. Why is this? Because both Toon Link and Link have similar weapons and similar features, and so they have the same moveset. The only thing that differentiates them is playstyle, although there was potential for more. Now look at Sonic and Shadow.... they both have difference moves, but they also share many moves. Not only that but they have the same body shape and features. Tails and Knuckles have body shapes that differentiate them from Sonic moreso than Shadow, and they have different features that carry great potential for contrast (two tails, spiked knuckles).

The only thing you use to support Shadow is the fact that he has a few different moves than Sonic. You don't even consider the fact that the same goes for Knuckles and Tails, and the vastly different playstyles of Knuckles and Tails, or even the unique features that they possess. You don't consider the fact that both Knuckles and Tails are far more iconic than Shadow and quite popular as well.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Hold on. I never said anything about Tails and Knuckles not having potential. We all know there are similarities between Shadow and Sonic. You'd have to be blind not to see that. Also your toon link arguement doesn't really apply seeing as Toon Link is Link while Shadow is not Sonic. He doesn't just have a "few different moves". He has a unique move for every move he has in common with sonic. Lastly Tails and Knuckles are not far more iconic than Shadow. Anybody who plays sonic knows who he is and with the amount of games(not to mention having his own) he's been in I don't think anybody doesn't see him as iconic.

D

Deleted member

Being popular and iconic has nothing to do with this, as no one argued otherwise. This argument isn't about who deserves it more, as clearly Tails and Eggman are the most deserving; it's about you spouting off dribble that Tails and Knuckles are so frigging unique and Shadow is exactly like Sonic when that isn't the case.
And a "few"? Try a lot. Tails and Knuckles hardly have anything special in comparison. Just a Sonic that can fly and replace a few kicking attacks with tail attacks, and a Sonic that can glide and get rid of most kicking attacks for more punches. MORE PUNCHES YAY!!!

No one's arguing that Tails and Knuckles can't be unique. We're trying to get it through your thick skull that Shadow isn't just clone fodder like you claim and that Tails and Knuckles are equally likely to be clones as much as Shadow as they are all equally likely not to be as well.

And again, the spiked knuckles do NOTHING SPECIAL and wouldn't magically make Knuckles different. So what, he just punches with them? Big whoop, it's just a freaking punch. It's not like half the Smash Bros. cast can't punch already.
And the tails? Ok, so Tails gets a few moves with his tails. Nothing special.

You honestly don't know what you're talking about either when you talk about body shapes. Knuckles has the same exact body frame as Sonic. Not having spikes on his back or having hard nipples on his knuckles doesn't change that.
Link and Toon Link? Different body types. One is of average human body, the other has a tiny frame, short legs, and a huge head.
Mario and Wario? Different body types. Wario has stubby legs and a rotund gut compared to Mario.
Sonic and Knuckles? Same body type. Their torsos are same shape, their legs are same length, arms are same length, heads are the same size. Features may be different with the tail, spikes, and ears, but they share a body type.
It's like Lucario and Mewtwo. They look nothing like each other, yet they share a similar body type, despite one being much larger in size than the other.
Tails, I will concede has a bit different of a body type, but not because of his tails. Because of him being shorter and stockier compared to Sonic, Knuckles, Shadow, Silver, Espio, Jet, etc, who all have a similar body type.

But I don't know why you're arguing body types. They don't make a difference, I mean, look at all the characters that have similar body types to one another. If anything, you're grabbing at straws at this point to try to prove how Tails and Knuckles are in no way similar to Sonic and can't be copied from him in no way shape or form for stupid reasons, and why Shadow has absolutely nothing different from Sonic for equally stupid reasons.

And do you know why Toon Link was cloned from Link? Because he replaced Young Link, who too was cloned from Link. Also, Toon Link is Link. Shadow is not Sonic.

You know, you are quick to judge people when you are guilty of crap yourself. You're given a comprehensive list of what Shadow can do which far exceeds the list of what Tails and Knuckles can do and you dismiss it as a "few things", yet keep listing things that WOULDN'T AFFECT MUCH for Tails and Knuckles and act as though it's more than enough to make them unique.
Tails flys? Well then, guess he has multiple jumps. Ok, so he's like Kirby, Jigglypuff, Meta Knight, Dedede, Pit, and Charizard.
Knuckles glides? Ok, so he's like Meta Knight, Pit, and Charizard. Knuckles would not be climbing walls for balance purposes, so at most he'd Wall Cling. So he'd be like Sheik, Lucario, Squirtle, and Diddy Kong.

Here's the deal.
-Can they Spin Dash? All three of them can, yes. So that's two Specials down.
-Can they use Springs? All three of them can, yes. Ok, that's three.
-Can they Homing Attack? All three of them can. "What? NO! TAILS AND KNUCKLES CAN'T BLARHGHGHG!" Wrong, they can. Sonic Heroes. So that's all four specials cloned.
-Can they use Super forms? All three of them can. So there we have it. They all can clone Sonic easily.

Now here's the fun part.
-Do they have unique abilities? Yes, all three of them do.
-Can they have moves that differ from Sonic? Yes, all three of them can.
-Can they all just as easily be unique as being clones? YES.

Now stop being foolish and just admit that Tails, Knuckles, AND Shadow can all be unique very easily. Maybe then you can redeem yourself.
EDIT: Also, watch the damn video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHdNzU8IYGk&feature=relmfu I posted it for a reason!

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Being popular and iconic has nothing to do with this, as no one argued otherwise. This argument isn't about who deserves it more, as clearly Tails and Eggman are the most deserving;
Being popular and iconic is highly important when it comes to a character's inclusion. And actually, the main point of my argument is that Tails is the most deserving of the three (making him the most likely to appear as a second Sonic rep). That's all I'm trying to say. Thank you for agreeing. :)

My secondary point is that if any of the three characters were to be "clone fodder," it would obviously be Shadow. I'm not quite sure where you are coming up with the idea that they would be equal... but I won't bother with it anymore after this; you just won't understand for some reason, but that's okay. Of course, Shadow has his differences, but honestly, it is unarguable that Knuckles and Tails each have a far more vast array of differences that can more easily be implemented into their play styles. Shadow shares more similarities with Sonic than either of the three, and also has far less contrast when it comes to play style and general abilities. That's all I'm trying to say.

And do you know why Toon Link was cloned from Link? Because he replaced Young Link, who too was cloned from Link. Also, Toon Link is Link. Shadow is not Sonic.
Toon Link could have easily been decloned. Him replacing Young Link has absolutely nothing to do with it. Characters like Falco and Ganondorf were heavily decloned (Ganondorf to a lesser extent), and other movesets were just completely thrown out (Roy and Mewtwo, despite Marth and Roy's/Lucario and Mewtwo's similarities). Toon Link's extreme similarities to Link in both features and appearance dropped him into clone status. It just so happens that body shape is a characteristic of appearance that can get a character stuck as a clone (Ganondorf's body shape is similar to Captain Falcon's = Falcon clone). There are other factors than body shape, obviously (in Toon Link's case). Most people could easily see Shadow being a clone. Tails? Not so much...

By the way, for the people who keep saying that Toon Link and Link are the same character... do some research.

You know, you are quick to judge people when you are guilty of crap yourself.
Who's judgin'? :awesome:

Keep in mind, you were the first to throw out words like "******" and "idiot". :rolleyes:

Now stop being foolish and just admit that Tails, Knuckles, AND Shadow can all be unique very easily. Maybe then you can redeem yourself.
Psh, redeem myself? :laugh:

I don't need to redeem myself. I've got this place or this place to hide from people like you. ;)

I won't waste my time debating with you any longer. It's useless. Besides, it hardly even matters... neither of the three even have a decent chance at inclusion.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Again you infered something I didn't say. I never said link and toon link are the same character. I said they are both link.

D

Deleted member

Being popular and iconic is highly important when it comes to a character's inclusion. And actually, the main point of my argument is that Tails is the most deserving of the three (making him the most likely to appear as a second Sonic rep). That's all I'm trying to say. Thank you for agreeing. :)
Your "main point" had nothing to do with the arugment at hand though and was straying from the main subject.
Your argument was that "LOL TAILS AND KNUCKLES ARE COMPLETELY UNIQUE AND SHADOW IS JUST AN EXACT COPY".

My secondary point is that if any of the three characters were to be "clone fodder," it would obviously be Shadow. I'm not quite sure where you are coming up with the idea that they would be equal... but I won't bother with it anymore after this; you just won't understand for some reason, but that's okay. Of course, Shadow has his differences, but honestly, it is unarguable that Knuckles and Tails each have a far more vast array of differences that can more easily be implemented into their play styles. Shadow shares more similarities with Sonic than either of the three, and also has far less contrast when it comes to play style and general abilities. That's all I'm trying to say.
They hardly have differences at all, which you are too blind to see. What you claim makes them completely unique is just additional features they would have such as multiple jumps, gliding and wall clinging. Big deal. It just means that they have something extra to compensate for being easier to knock around (Tails) and have poorer jumping skills (Knuckles).
So Shadow will be an exact copy since he won't be given multiple jumps or wall clinging? Good logic there.

Toon Link could have easily been decloned. Him replacing Young Link has absolutely nothing to do with it. Characters like Falco and Ganondorf were heavily decloned (Ganondorf to a lesser extent), and other movesets were just completely thrown out (Roy and Mewtwo, despite Marth and Roy's/Lucario and Mewtwo's similarities). Toon Link's extreme similarities to Link in both features and appearance dropped him into clone status. It just so happens that body shape is a characteristic of appearance that can get a character stuck as a clone (Ganondorf's body shape is similar to Captain Falcon's = Falcon clone). There are other factors than body shape, obviously (in Toon Link's case). Most people could easily see Shadow being a clone. Tails? Not so much...
Only idiots would not see how Tails can be a clone, given that it's exactly how he started. When you could first play as him in Sonic 2, YOU COULDN'T EVEN FLY. He ran at the same speed as Sonic, jumped just as high as Sonic, and had all of Sonic's abilities except for a Super Transformation.
Knuckles? Same deal. First time you could play as him was Sonic 3's multiplayer mode, and guess what? He couldn't glide there. Nope, he essentially was just like Sonic only a bit slower and couldn't jump as high. He even did the Insta-Shield abilitiy Sonic had in that time.
And Toon Link being Link had everything to do with it. Falco is not Fox, Ganondorf is not Captain Falcon, so it makes perfect sense for them be be semi-cloned instead of fully cloned like Toon Link.

By the way, for the people who keep saying that Toon Link and Link are the same character... do some research.
While technically not the same exact being, they are still both Links from branched timelines incarated by the original Link from Skyward Sword.
Your only correlation between Sonic and Shadow is that both are hedgehogs. They have no connection; Shadow is not Sonic, he's not an evil version of Sonic, he's not a biological clone of Sonic, he wasn't created by Gerald with Sonic in mind (as he was created before Sonic was born).
The only similarites they share other than the fact they're the same species is that they both can roll into balls, a trait common to real life hedgehogs and echidnas (Tails couldn't do this naturally; he taught himself to do this to copy Sonic).

They don't even share fighting styles. If you played Sonic Battle, you'd know this.
Or again, if you watched the damn video I've posted twice that you've obviously ignored as you fear that you may actually be wrong.

Now, could Shadow be a semi-clone? I'm not arguing that he can't. He could. But so could Tails and Knuckles.
Perfect representation:
Sonic
B: Homing Attack
Side B: Sonic Boost (Boosting has become an integral part to Sonic since after Brawl.)
Up B: Spring Jump
Down B: Spin Dash (Spin Charge)
Final Smash: Super Sonic

Shadow
B: Chaos Spear
Side B: Spin Dash (Sonic's old Side B, so they have a simiilarity for you to gasm over)
Up B: Chaos Control/Warp/Snap/whatever you want to call it.
Down B: Chaos Burst
Final Smash: Chaos Blast

Tails
B: Dummy Ring Bombs
Side B: Tailspin (Similar to his attack from Sonic Adventure after you upgrade)
Up B: Heli-Tails
Down B: Spin Dash (Spin Charge)
Final Smash: Cyclone

Knuckles
B: Knuckle Sandwich (Rushing power punch like in Sonic Adventure)
Side B: Spin Dash (Like Sonic's old Side B)
Up B: Rising Uppercut (Similar to his uppercut from Sonic Adventure 2 with fire effects like the Sonic Advance games, but like Meta Knight's Shuttle Loop, it makes him glide afterwards.)
Down B: Dig
Final Smash: Maximum Heat Attack

Who's judgin'? :awesome:

Keep in mind, you were the first to throw out words like "******" and "idiot". :rolleyes:
Touche. However, you haven't proven to me otherwise that you aren't either. :troll:

Psh, redeem myself? :laugh:

I don't need to redeem myself. I've got this place or this place to hide from people like you. ;)
Aww..did big mean ol' Golden scare you into hiding? :smirk:
Also, genius, I'm in one of those groups too. So....what now?

I won't waste my time debating with you any longer. It's useless. Besides, it hardly even matters... neither of the three even have a decent chance at inclusion.
Good. I grew tired of your bull****.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Your "main point" blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
Tired of repeating myself. Don't know why it had to get so out of hand, I was only trying to contribute to the thread... should have known that there were angry twelve-year-olds with childish insults lurking the forums as usual.

Also, genius, I'm in one of those groups too. So....what now?
PLEASE tell me you're not talking about "The New Super Smash Bros. Wii-U Discussion Group"...

Anyway, to revive some intelligent discussion in this thread (that is, if anyone is even interested anymore), let me suggest a Sonic stage idea I came up with.

What about just a simple "Angel Island" stage? It would be based off of Angel Island Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog 3, seen in this video. I imagine it as a grounded stage (meaning it's not floating in the air, like Onett, the Mushroom Kingdom stages, Eldin Bridge, etc.) with two bottomless pits. The bottomless pits would have bridges stretching over them for the majority of the match.

In the background is a massive waterfall like the one seen during the boss battle. Three drop-through platforms emerge from the waterfall frequently and then retreat again, just like in the game. Halfway through the match, Robotnik's fire robot can be seen in the background setting fire to the island. Soon the fire spreads to the stage, and the players must dodge the fireballs. The fire will burn the bridges down, opening up the pits, and also change the feel of the stage from "lush jungle paradise" to "dangerous jungle inferno."

Maybe the Altar of the Emeralds can be seen in the background as a little extra.

D

Deleted member

The funny part is that I haven't insulted you once in my last post, and you choose to ignore my points as usual as you have no argument other than repeating flawed points that aren't worth jack.

And you say I'm the 12 year old. :laugh:

In light of your sheer cowardace and refusal to admit when you've been beaten, I actually like your stage idea. Definitely beats out boring ol' Green Hill Zone any day.

D

Deleted member

He's hiding from your golden 'stache. Don't get excited. TuT

More on Sonic reps, I'm always in favor of Knuckles for SSB.
Can't help it if it's the only thing that turns gold when I'm Super Saiyan....I blame Nappa for that.

What do you think of my Special Moves list for Knuckles? This is of course going on the hypothetical that Sonic gets his Boosting ability for his Side B given that it's become a staple to the series at this point.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Can't help it if it's the only thing that turns gold when I'm Super Saiyan....I blame Nappa for that.

What do you think of my Special Moves list for Knuckles? This is of course going on the hypothetical that Sonic gets his Boosting ability for his Side B given that it's become a staple to the series at this point.
I was inferring the gold Entei-thing your avatar box holds, BUT that works, too. :grin:

I didn't even look. Where is it?

D

Deleted member

It's in that wall of text I made last.

Here, I'll repost the move list here.
Knuckles
Up B: Rising Uppercut (Similar to his uppercut from Sonic Adventure 2 with fire effects like the Sonic Advance games, but like Meta Knight's Shuttle Loop, it makes him glide afterwards.)

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
It's in that wall of text I made last.

Here, I'll repost the move list here.
Knuckles
Hmm... It has potential, I suppose...

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
IF they do actually get a 2nd Character it will either be Tails, Knuckles, Dr.Robotnik, or Shadow. I'd love to see more female Characters in Smash but Amy, Cream, and Blaze dont have a chance.
My Personal favorite picks are either Shadow or one of girls please. Although Dr.Robotnik would have an awesome moveset with his eggmobile.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
If Sonic returns in ssb4 and with another sonic rep, I would be very disappointed if we got Shadow over Robotnik, Knuckles or Tails.

If a female Sonic rep had a chance, imo Amy would be a better choice over Blaze, Cream, or Rouge. As much as I'd love to play as Rouge (not because of bat boobs:awesome:), when I see Amy I picture her kicking someone's *** with her giant hammer. And she has in two fighting games already.

Plus she's Sonic's "potential" love interest. I'm sure that increases her chances.:troll:

:phone:

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
I say Tails or Knuckles, and if not then Shadow.

Why tails, because he is seen almost every Sonic game over anyother character.

Knuckles.

Shadow, because it would make things easier for them, and they have to do really is change a few moves....

I say Shadow F* it

imagine a fast moving Sonic with a projectile!!!

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Yeah it makes sense with the 8 new characters that will be in Brawl 2 that one of them will be a second Sonic representative

LosTimeTurner

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lostimeturner
I'd like to see all of them but I cant think of moves for Eggman but his final smash can be his Deathegg robot.
But also I can't think of final smashes for the others.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
If it was for me, I'd go with Eggman all the way. Shadow would be a clone, Knuckles would be interesting (glide ability and immens power, but also fast), Tails I don't know, obviously the most recognizable but kinda boring, Metal Sonic as a costume and Blaze NO BLAZE NO.

Eggman seems the most deserving and interesting choice to me.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Eggman fighting in one of his mechs is something i can imagine for the next Story Mode, i say make Eggman a boss character. And make Knuckles the second rep from Sonic.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Nah, impossible. He would be twice as big as Bowser at least. Final smash, maybe.
Not really. Smash bros has never been accurate with the characters' sizes. A mech the size of Bowser would be enough, plus the Doc has already been playable in games with him in a mech.

Mechless could work also.

Imo Eggman would have more move set potential if he was in a mech.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Umh, yeah, the mech in Sonic Fighters is different from the one he has usually though (the last image). I was thinking that he's big pretty much like Bowser in Smash, mechless, so with the mech, he would have become huge. But that lil' mech could work too so it's OK, I guess. Obviously it would be more awesome, interesting and all, but I see it working better as a Final Smash or, even better, as a boss. Mechless he would be kinda weird that's true, but he would be weird with a mech too lol. He would be weird and that's it.

But I don't really see Sonic getting a second rep, it's already good if he's in and nothing more.

D

Deleted member

Eggman is not that large without the mech.
That very last image is of "Big Eggman", like how Fighting Vipers had Big Mahler as well as normal sized Mahler.

That's normal sized Eggman in StF. Granted, he's taller now, but as shown in Mario & Sonic, he comes to Waluigi's size, not Bowser's size (iirc).

And if we take a look here:

With his traditional Eggmobile without legs, it's like Mario and Bowser in Brawl. Add legs, and he's slightly taller than Bowser. But so what? No one said Bowser had to be the largest character in the game. Ridley would likely be bigger than Bowser, anyway.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Eggman and Sonic the Fighters...
There is now going to be an HD port of Sonic the Fighters for XBLA/PSN with three bonus characters; the two previously unplayable Metal Sonic and Eggman, as well as the beta character Honey the Cat, based off of Honey/Candy from Fighting Vipers (which in turn, Sonic the Fighters was based off of).

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
Sonic Adventure 2, to alot of people is more of a Gamecube game than a Dreamcast game even.

It's quite popular and cherished by nintendo fans. I'd love for them to include a SA2 stage.
City Escape or the Space Colony Ark would be the ones most likely included.

However, I can live without Shadow. I really just dont like him to be honest. But if they are going for a SA2 theme like I'd want, he'd probably be chosen.

So maybe they'll just keep it retro and get tails or knuckles.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I think one hedgehog is enough. Though if we get another one I'd honestly want to play as Amy then Shadow. Not for reasons like being a female or being a love interest. She has a big hammer. And Dedede and Ice Climbers are the only chars that fight with a hammer (also Kirby if you count one move).

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
I think one hedgehog is enough. Though if we get another one I'd honestly want to play as Amy then Shadow. Not for reasons like being a female or being a love interest. She has a big hammer. And Dedede and Ice Climbers are the only chars that fight with a hammer (also Kirby if you count one move).
We need more lance and axewielders, enough with the bows, swords and hammers!

D

Deleted member

What's so special about an axe that would make it not comparable to a sword in terms of Smash? Especially compared to Ike's style of fighting? At least lances could provide a logical charging attack that would look awkward on a sword and more of a thrusting style.

But either way, weapons are overrated. We need a mech-fighter, something only Eggman on this list can provide.

Dr. Eggman or bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom