• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boxob.

Smash Lord
mobile

i honestly believe that besides game and watch. sonic doesn't have bad matchups. as long as you know what you're doing ahgainst a character, you can win.

:093:

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
mobile

i honestly believe that besides game and watch. sonic doesn't have bad matchups. as long as you know what you're doing ahgainst a character, you can win.

Agreed. But i dunno, ROB's aerial down A pisses me off more than anything else on that list. He always gets me when i try to spring >star KO him... And wario's just amazing. I think these two more so than metak are bad for sonic, but like boxob said, maybe i just don't know what im doin with them more than with meta.

Boxob.

Smash Lord
Agreed. But i dunno, ROB's aerial down A pisses me off more than anything else on that list. He always gets me when i try to spring >star KO him... And wario's just amazing. I think these two more so than metak are bad for sonic, but like boxob said, maybe i just don't know what im doin with them more than with meta.
If rob is constantly Dairing you out of Spring Uair, don't spring Uair. Bthrow instead, or Dthrow if he doesn't know you can tech it. Or, just pummel for a mindgame.

Umby

Smash Master
You have serious issues as a Sonic if ROB's dair is annoying you more than anything else.

I still don't see what you guys see in what puts G&W at the top of your lists. I'd give him 3rd or 4th hardest, but not his toughest overall.

Which proves we actually need to get these Matchup analysis down instead of portraying our individual troubles (if you've noticed, GA Sonics have Luigi trouble) and bouncing them off as general truths.

I'm about to rob a bank and steal a car so I can actually travel and analyze the matchups myself.

Boxob.

Smash Lord
You have serious issues as a Sonic if ROB's dair is annoying you more than anything else.

I still don't see what you guys see in what puts G&W at the top of your lists. I'd give him 3rd or 4th hardest, but not his toughest overall.

Which proves we actually need to get these Matchup analysis down instead of portraying our individual troubles (if you've noticed, GA Sonics have Luigi trouble) and bouncing them off as general truths.

I'm about to rob a bank and steal a car so I can actually travel and analyze the matchups myself.
If you still have wifi, I'll show you why G&W is such a bad matchup for sonic. WAY harder then luigi/marth/rob.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
ROB's dair is bad.

Meh, I don't find Luigi to be all that zomgwtfrape of a MU. I played Boss in tourney...after beating his Mario and then losing twice to his Luigi I definitley agree it's not an advantageous MU, but I honestly think I lost purely because of the experinece against someone at such a high level with that character.

Like, I never got UpB'd once...he tried going for jab>UpB twice and failed both times..that was my biggest focus to not fall for those, lol, so thats definitley not a huge issue..but Sonic kinda just loses out to the basics of Nair/Jab/Grab. That gave me the most trouble.

Still though, I think that was purley my lack of experience, not Luigi himself.

SoupaSonic

Smash Journeyman
I think that Olimar is the worst match up, well at least for me. I just can never get a good juggle goin against him, and those Fn pikmin always latch on to me and I have to kill them before I go after olimar again.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Pikmin being latched onto you in the heat of battle are the least of your concerns.

That being sad, Olimar is pretty gay.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Pikmin being latched onto you in the heat of battle are the least of your concerns.

That being sad, Olimar is pretty gay.
^this

Pretty much all of Sonic's moves eat Pikmin. Charging DownB even does the trick. The best option though is fair, because it can even beat out some of Olimars aerials iirc

Umby

Smash Master
If you still have wifi, I'll show you why G&W is such a bad matchup for sonic. WAY harder then luigi/marth/rob.

Anything could look really bad for Sonic on wifi. Definitely harder than Marth or ROB though. Luigi, I'm not sure. I'm REALLY biased when it comes to Sonic vs Luigi.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I would help, but I really can't be bothered with it. Some discussion were so wut, I have no clue what to do.

Chis, first guide to do would be the MK one :/ I really want to see a summary of that.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
It'd make more sense to have a look at what we've written for the match-ups people have problems with like G&W and in some cases Toon Link, see if there's enough there to make a summary, then have a re-discussion if there isn't. Everyone knows how to fight a MK these days.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I've had my share of humilliation against a friend's G&W.
But that was until I cooled down a bit, and started rushing in less.

The most efficient way I deal with G&W is...

-Losing the speed. Be slow and cautious.
-Ftilt spam. MrG&W is outreached from this, apparently.
-Lose the aerials. Use them strictly to finish him off. G&W has a MEAN air game, which punished me whenever I went airborne.
-Powershield a lot.

Well... the rest is up to mindgames. These are the steps I follow to survive against G&W.
Coming from me, it may not mean much since I haven't "proven my worth" as a Sonic player here.. But perhaps you should try them and see how it helps you.

Right now I'm working on making my Sonic anti-Lucario.. but this will take some time and practice.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I got 3 stocked by this one Olimar because I couldn't land a killmove. I landed an fsmash and he whistled it. It's so hard to land an effective KO move on Olimar.
Silly goose, you don't actually kill Olimar. You knock him away far enough to not be killed, but so that he can be gimped at like 100%.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Silly goose, you don't actually kill Olimar. You knock him away far enough to not be killed, but so that he can be gimped at like 100%.
^^THIS.
Sonic has it bad. really. Marth, Wario, Olimar, Lucario, G&W, Luigi, Rob, meh.
it boils down to learnin matchups, and even that probably still wont be enough. This is killing us. But we will get past it one way or another.

Olimar doesnt get hit. At all. If you beat an Olimar, its because they are sandbagging or not doing it right. that means PS, Echo, and Vivi (EMZ) were obviously sandbagging. :ohwell:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
If I volunteer to do the G&W write-up, will you actually put in the post Chis?

I've been a bit hesitant to volunteer because I don't want to do a guide when I don't have the satisfied experience with it, however I have more than enough knowledge on G&W, so I can do that one.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Gimping Olimar is the way to go, absolutely.

My strategy is SideB from up close, and follow up some aerials, then run away, and repeat until I finally knocked him away from the edge, I do a follow up and edgeguard. Done.

/easier said than done, lol

I try to take advantage of the (nearly) invincible frames on sideB and Usmash against most matchups now, and I'm getting possitive results

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
When is this poll going to be removed?

Boxob.

Smash Lord
Er, the poll is closed, and marth is NOT his hardest matchup. Anyone who thinks marth is the hardest for Sonic, clearly has NEVER fought a good Oli, G&W, Wario, Rob, or even DK. They're all much harder. Really. Marth doesn't even have the advantage.

Boxob.

Smash Lord
DK, Donkey Kong.

I play with one of the best DK's regularly. And he's harder to fight as sonic than every single marth I've ever played, ever.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I don't find Diddy to be too bad, Diddy's favor though. Just barely. I played Kai at a tourney recently against his Diddy for like an hour straight...lol...tough ****. Each match was last stock but he won most of the time :/ I think that may also be that Kai is a bit better than me too.

DK I don't know enough about to really decide there :/

Marth, I still think it's his favor Boxxybox, but I agree with you that there are far more difficult MUs, like Oli, GaW, ROB, Wario >_>

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
DK is definitely more dangerous to a Sonic than Marth.

To be clear boxob, I was not saying that Marth was the hardest matchup, I was saying we need to keep the poll open so we can vote for other people :O

Boxob.

Smash Lord
Yeah the poll opened and closed all during my last ban so I couldn't vote. D:

And DK isn't even super hard, just worse than marth by a lot. He outspaces everything and never dies. He racks damage very fast and kills at low percents. He's just a good character when used by a smart player. You need to hope you can just run past them and Fsmash by surprise and hope it hits cause otherwise DK's going to live to REALLY high percents.

NNID
MasterHavik
Wow even are match ups have change greatly. I think that's why my friend is a little bit to happy with Wario. He has a freaking man crush on the guy.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Hmmmm pretty sure steak still trumps everything.

Wait, let me check the match-ups again.

Yeah, still trumps everything.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I kept saying how it's only 6:4 Lucario's favor.

I still go by that BTW, for anybody who thinks otherwise, we just agree to disagree.

Also I'm going to quote myself.

If I volunteer to do the G&W write-up, will you actually put in the post Chis?

I've been a bit hesitant to volunteer because I don't want to do a guide when I don't have the satisfied experience with it, however I have more than enough knowledge on G&W, so I can do that one.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Alright then, time to get crackin'.

I'll get back to you when I have it done.

I promise it's sometime within your lifetime assuming you don't get hit by a parked bus within the next couple of hours.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I kept saying how it's only 6:4 Lucario's favor.
I agree. I played Zucco's Lucario a lot and I felt that it wasn't too bad. I lost most of the time, but I just need to learn the MU more.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah, I agree with 60:40, and now I found the quote lol:

No, you didn't.
but there is a legit silly silly easy way for lucarios to beat sonics. Only maybe 3 ppl know it though. One is me, one doesn't play Lucario, and one plays Lucario but doesn't go to tourneys.

Thus, it's best i not say anything. I might've said too much.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
No, you didn't.
but there is a legit silly silly easy way for lucarios to beat sonics. Only maybe 3 ppl know it though. One is me, one doesn't play Lucario, and one plays Lucario but doesn't go to tourneys.

Thus, it's best i not say anything. I might've said too much.

How can you say something like this? This is counterproductive to competitive brawl as a whole! What if everyone did this are hoarded away their secrets, never to enter the metagame, and never to be learned? Brawl's metagame would advance at a snail's pace. You'd be in a a literal Dark Age. It's your obligation to share your findings to the rest of the brawl community! For shame! This is the way games die.

Top Bottom