• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Pokemon Trainer is discussing Sonic right now, come down to spread your wisdom on Sonic please.

No link you lazy bums :).
Flamethrower and Rock Smash are really effective, and SH Flamethrower pretty much shuts down all spinning attacks, but don't become complacent with it because he can do the one where it lets him jump and hit you with like Dair or Nair. Dair will probably try to set you up for a kill with Uair, and Nair is a kill move within itself (IMO his best).
irefusetopostinthisthreadirefusetopostinthisthreadirefusetopostinthisthreadirefusetopostinthisthreadirefusetopostinthisthreadirefusetopostinthisthreadirefusetopostinthisthread

10irefusetopostinthisthreads

:093:

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Lol, PT guys can have fun trying to figure out the MU with the 3 pounds of collective brains they have.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
And I like how Nameless walked in here asking for our help and then called us lazy bums and didn't give us a link.

Is making our life harder really the best way to get us to help?

Frickin unbelievable.

Lol, I was joking about the lazy bums. I'll post a link then if you guys wanted one.
Sorry if some of our statements came off as...unknowledgeable. Retro did say that he only played one match with Sonic and going off of that. Its why you guys should come and discuss on what Sonic can really do.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=8035636 Heres the link.

Sorry again for calling you lazy bums.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sorry again for calling you lazy bums.
I don't care so much about the lazy bums thing, I can handle a little joke. It's the interwebs.

I just don't enjoy MU discussions as it is, so I only go of at least one person has any clue what they're talking about, and from what I saw the posts were a bit ridiculous -_-

To top it all off, I know very little about PT so I would probably sound just about as foolish. There would be too much theorycraft and pointless debating over trivial things, then both boards would have to spoonfeed eachother on what all the characters can do and it's just not worth my time...sorry

Supreme65

Smash Apprentice
I think sonic's Worst MU's are Marth, GnW and Peach. From my experiences. When I used him I normally have easy time against warios and olimars. Sonic makes me feel like being sheik. But sheik has way more combos.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Sonic makes me feel like being sheik. But sheik has way more combos.
And much less versatility.

Besides... combos in Brawl? hehe...

anyway, let me see if I can do a rewrite on the Sonic/Marth MU. Chis please C&P this over GS's old/outdated version of his WU at your earliest convenience (as in do it or I'll keep bringing it up until you go insane or you do it, whichever comes first.)

Martha.

Introduction: Marth's history as a character is quite impressive. If you do research/have heard of any tales of the legendary warrior, you'll know that he has succeeded in the most grim of situations, with almost nothing from start to leading the biggest army his land has ever seen. As a fighter in Brawl, his skills are not to be trifled with.

Behavior: Marth attacks with precision and agility, his power comes from his sword, the Falchion. With eloquence and grace, fighting him is like being brought down to your simplest form down to the atom if we're making scientific comparisons. While his sword grants him speed, power comes at a cost - He will have to hit you with the tip of his blade to get you flying off the screen.

Commonly Used Moves: With Marth, there is no part of his moveset he will not use, with the slight exception of Counter, Dair, & Shield-Breaker for reasons I'll state specifically later on.

Let's start with his standard A ground moveset:

Jab - Nothing really special, makes for a simple GTFO move.

FTilt - Much like FSmash but without the power and lag.

DTilt - Bends down and pokes you at foot. Can shieldstab. Fairly quick and safe on his part.

UTilt - Won't be seeing much use unless you're silly to use things like HA or happen to be on a platform. I suppose it's powerful but not enough to outright kill you unless maybe it's tippered and some other junk, like you being at a high percent and/or on a stage with a low ceiling blastzone... meh. Can hit on his sides if you're close enough. makes for a nice well-timed anti-aerial move.

FSmash - His strongest killer... Also his riskiest. You'd think for sure a balanced fighter he wouldn't commit to such kind of an attack, but I guess with it's tipper power, it might be somewhat justified. Will kill you if tippered/close to the blastline, comes with a lot of ending lag for you to punish with. Can set up you for an edgeguard if it doesn't outright kill you, in which case his aerial combat will unless you somehow slip past by that.

DSmash - The tipper sends you flying UP. Used as an OoS option if for whatever reason Dolphin Slash doesn't work... I don't know, this is just what some other people say, I personally never see this move in action unless it was a mistake or punishing predictable rolls.

USmash - UTilt but with more power, a hitbox on the side that can shove you into his sweetspot/tipper which can be painful, some considerable lag, and compared to the range on UTilt... I forgot, sorry. :X

Fair - His BnB (Bread N' Butter) move, fast, powerful if fresh/tippered, and covers his front body pretty nicely.

Bair - A downgraded version of Fair. Will also turn him the opposite way, just something to note.

Nair - Covers more horizontal range than Fair and with less lag at the cost of less vertical range... as for kill power, it's slightly less I'd assume, and I'm pretty sure that's accurate. Used sporadically.

Uair - Only sees use if you're above him, and unless he is way up in the air will not see use as there are better options to punish landing.

Dair - You SHOULD not be seeing this against you if you play Sonic, due to its ending lag and being easily punished if whiffed. It has spiking properties but you should never be killed on the south blastline, ti will mostly be your left/right flanks to which you'll be losing stocks too.

Specials:

Side-B (Dancing Blade(s?) - This move is used quite a lot since it lasts for some time, lag varying depending on the input(s), racks up damage, and refreshes his other moves very quickly.

Up to a maximum of 4 inputs may be initiated, but Marth can change it up by using anywhere between 1-4 inputs to throw you off. There are different strikes Marth can do with DB, they are the Red, Blue, and Green strikes. Blue is used to get you up in the air and kill you off the top, Red is suppose to send you sideways and away from him, and Green is suppose to keep you trapped in the blade storm and after the ordeal is done send you away, but at a least distance than the Red strikes.

You won't have to worry about being killed by any of the DB inputs because they decay very quickly with the more inputs initiated, however Marth will also have refreshed his moveset at the cost of his DB, meaning moves that didn't kill you before will now be even more of a threat since you have some damage racked up on you. Shield the barrage if you can see it coming and punish Marth after he is finished with whatever inputs he has done.... be quick about it though, if he decides to end the barrage early and either continue from the beginning or do another attack to throw you off all-together, it will be worse than having taken the first barrage.

Marth can use the first Dancing Blade input after a jump to gain a slight boost in recovery... he may also use it to stall his fall, so don't think he won't make it back if he has his 2nd jump/is close to the ledge with you trying to fend him off.

Up-B (Dolphin Slash) - Marth's main recovery move. Quick and powerful with the right hit. It activates of the first frame and Marth will remain invincible throughout frames 1-5, so it can be used to punish any laggy attack you might've tried to hit his shield with. It has the most knockback from the bottom and loses it's power at the apex of the jump. If you happen to shield the attack onstage Marth is left wide open for counterattack as he can't do anything until he gets back on the ground. If he tries to sweetspot for the ledge you better hope you timed your ledge invincibility frames correctly so he plummets to his fall and you don't end up being on the receiving end of his newly-found edgeguarding abilities. If he aimed for the stage expect an easy get-up attack punish.

Neutral-B (Shield-Breaker) - As the name suggest, does major damage to your shield. Unless you have a full shield your shield will crack and you will be left wide open for an attack. This move is quick enough to act as a mix-up from things like Dancing Blade, but to know about the attack itself, it has many hitboxes, the most powerful being the very tip/point of the Falchion as the attack is performed... that would be about a G&W distance away from his body. If you intend on punishing this OoS make sure you do it fast and with a full shield, the lag on the attack is surprisingly quick (but not fast enough to allow him to spam it every other ground attack), otherwise make use of your speed if he happens to use this hoping you'd be impatient enough fall into his sword as he releases... Don't be that guy to fall for it. Another little tidbit about this attack is that it helps his recovery, but by the time he could be charging up a fully charged Shield-Breaker offstage he could've naturally drifted back onto the stage, and if he decides to end it short he will have only reduced his chances of making it back onto the stage. Won't really be used offstage is what I'm trying to tell you.

Down-B (Counter) - If you come onto Marth recklessly he can try and read your attack pattern and reflect your attack back onto you. If however he messes up you're free to attack him with whatever, as the counter stance (he gets a purple tint) doesn't last for long and the lag is very punishable. Look before you leap.

How To Win: Marth's above average attack speed combined with his range and mobility allow for him to be safe on most attack excluding the smash attacks and leaving Sonic with only his superior movement Speed. Marth also happens to have some decent kill-power on his tippered attacks. How do you get around this you ask? Learn the habits of your opponent, trick him into doing attacks and punish him from there, and learn how much of a frame advantage you are given when you see him use an attack that didn't connect on you.

His Fair for example if it hits your shield on the landing leaves him open for a dash attack, however if he's just attacking air and you tried to punish him on the landing without him hitting your shield you'll be vehemently sent away. Apply to the same to Bair but everything on your part easier. Nair can be intercepted from the bottom, or the less likely vulnerable above him position, otherwise this move covers a lot of horizontal range... to much for you to try and safely attack from that point. Don't try to challenge his Uair if you're in the air, focus on getting a safe landing and not being set-up for a FSmash after being so focused on avoiding that Uair. Get him above you in the air as much as you can, he can't reliably fend you off from under him.

His Smash attacks are all laggy and even moreso if they fail to hit you, go for the throat then. Also feel assured that unless he tippers you that you won't be dying to any of his attacks until way past due %age.

If you're on a platform above him, try not to be directly above him as to avoid UTilt/USmash, and instead get him up there on that platform. For DTilt if untippered feel free to hit him with a tilt if your own. If otherwise then see if you can run up to him and shield an untippered DTilt to apply the above situation... if only he's deliberately spamming DTilt though, don't end up getting read and run up to him only to get grabbed out of your shield. Jabs can be dealt with with most any quick attack.

If you happen to have him recovering, go after him, the worst that is to happen is that you fail to cut him short of the ledge and you have only a minor % increase to your total. Leaving a Spring projectile has a high success rate much like dropping a Spring in the path of Ike's Aether, but not tTHAT high of a success rate, still I hope you get the picture. Spring projectiles are for those unwilling to go out but still want to leave some kind of obstacle in the way of his recovery, this is the best thing to do since Marth cannot quickly punish you by the time you get back on the ground from your Spring Jump.

Don't get careless/reckless/predictable with the kill, let it come to you, or you'll regret it.

Specials explained in the above section, however for DB if you're in the middle of the barrage SDI towards Marth's back, if you're quick/good enough you might be able to get behind him and punish his barrage while he is unable to end it short.

Recommended Stages: If there is any stage(s) to avoid, it would be those with Water, like Delfino Plaza/Pirate Ship if it happens to be legal in your area, save yourself the hassle of being a sitting duck for easy Dair-spiking. Other stages like Frigate Orpheon, Lylat Cruise, and Jungle Japes leave you vulnerable to getting attacked on the way back from recovery, but with those stages they work as a double-edged sword and can work towards your favor, otherwise it's mostly personal preference and you have the Green light. For wherever you decide you want to go to.

Matchup Summary: Depending on who you ask, Marth clocks at either at 6:4 or 65:35 his favor... many will tell you as of August 6th, 2009 however that it's only sever enough to a 6:4 disadvantage. Punish his every attack, intercept his lacking recovery (compared to say the likes of MK/R.O.B./Pit/Etc.), and make him panic and feel like he is helpless ,and you should be able to claim victory. Make him approach you if possible, you'll be in the favorable position then.

Grandiazero

Smash Rookie
When the hell was this? I have not lost to a sonic at a tournament or friendlie for that matter.

And online I lost to one sonic but it was one out of maybe 8 fights. Every other sonic players I have ran too have never beat me. though i am thinking this post is a joke so......

Also, was Peach not talked about already. I remembered being called to a topic in here and talking about this match up.
i don't think sonic has advantages against peach, peach beats sonic and punishes his moves. peach can eaisly stops sonics speed by using the turnips and using her gliding. when that happens sonic is finished. i used sonic against my bros peach and i lost and he told me everything why sonic's worst MU is peach. the only way sonic can win is final smash and no one is not goin 2 put FS on. so pretty much, sonic is offically history. i'm not insulting, i'm telling the truth. i faced some of my friends online with no FS and they used sonic. i used snake and humiliuate them, and they know the truth and gaved up. Dark Peach, if you train more with peach, you'll might have your rematch again and you might win. i used sonic, but not that much. i'm into snake style aka the neck breaker. i'm cheering you on man.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
i don't think sonic has advantages against peach, peach beats sonic and punishes his moves. peach can eaisly stops sonics speed by using the turnips and using her gliding. when that happens sonic is finished. i used sonic against my bros peach and i lost and he told me everything why sonic's worst MU is peach. the only way sonic can win is final smash and no one is not goin 2 put FS on. so pretty much, sonic is offically history. i'm not insulting, i'm telling the truth. i faced some of my friends online with no FS and they used sonic. i used snake and humiliuate them, and they know the truth and gaved up. Dark Peach, if you train more with peach, you'll might have your rematch again and you might win. i used sonic, but not that much. i'm into snake style aka the neck breaker. i'm cheering you on man.
Who sent you guys here?

Honestly nobody was saying anything about Peach since Rick did that a long time ago... we just sorta shrugged it off as "meh" since neither character is used at high level.

Y'all best be trollin' mah boards.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh.

Alright, I made that response to make sure you weren't some random that would make one post, make a couple of claims, and never be seen again even fi we did respond... seriously or otherwise.

Well, knowing that you'll be around, I think I can seriously try to respond to the evidence at hand.

BRB.

i don't think sonic has advantages against peach,

peach beats sonic and punishes his moves.

peach can eaisly stops sonics speed by using the turnips and using her gliding.

when that happens sonic is finished.

i used sonic against my bros peach and i lost and he told me everything why sonic's worst MU is peach.

the only way sonic can win is final smash and no one is not goin 2 put FS on.

so pretty much, sonic is offically history.

i'm not insulting, i'm telling the truth.

i faced some of my friends online with no FS and they used sonic.

i used snake and humiliuate them,

and they know the truth and gaved up.

Dark Peach, if you train more with peach, you'll might have your rematch again and you might win.

i used sonic, but not that much. i'm into snake style aka the neck breaker. i'm cheering you on man.
Nobody is arguing that Peach doesn't have the advantage, thanks for reminding us though.

Would you like to specify punishing what moves? I can just as easily say that Sonic can punish things like SL/Tornado/Drill Rush/ETC. but now I'm not going to use that to support my statement that MK < Sonic am I?

I can also just say that Sonic should be able to get around the turnips with his speed, jumping agility/mobiilty, and all that blah blah, but now we get in circles, don't we?

When what happens?

No... Sonic is future.

Your "bro" has no idea what he's talking about, and just because you can't use Sonic doesn't mean others can't.

Uhm... LOL? and yeah you're right, nobody is going to put them on.

Get future.

LOL?

Cool story bro. Wi-Fi sucks BTW.

So we're not talking about Peach anymore?

I would be pretty pissed if I lost to somebody I shouldn't have over Wi-Fi.

Lolwut?

Don't let your head hit the door on the way out

Note. Even though I took the time to make this response, I still didn't really bother to try and refute this honestly..

Browny

Smash Hater
wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

UTilt - Won't be seeing much use unless you're silly to use things like HA or happen to be on a platform. I suppose it's powerful but not enough to outright kill you unless maybe it's tippered and some other junk... meh. Can hit on his sides if you're close enough.
Utilt is very useful and is one of, if not his safest KO move UNTIPPERED. You should be seeing this move more than you suggest, but that depends on the marth playstyle as it doesnt necessarily put marth in a good position if it misses (hed much rather be in the air)

DSmash - Never used unless you happen to get predictable with rolls. The tipper sends you flying UP.
Again one of his best KO moves... expect this as an oos punisher if DS is stale or will not kill.

Nair - Covers more horizontal range than Fair and with less lag at the cost of less vertical range... as for kill power, it's slightly less I'd assume, and I'm pretty sure that's accurate. Used sporadically.
This will be used more than sporadically lol. its kill power is very good but hitting the sweetspot isnt exactly easy as more often than not the first hit will drag the enemy inwards, away from the tipper.

You won't have to worry about being killed by any of the DB inputs because they decay very quickly with the more inputs initiated, however Marth will also have refreshed his moveset at the cost of his DB, meaning moves that didn't kill you before will now be even more of a threat since you have some damage racked up on you. Shield the barrage if you can see it coming and punish Marth after he is finished with whatever inputs he has done.... be quick about it though, if he decides to end the barrage early and either continue from the beginning or do another attack to throw you off all-together, it will be worse than having taken the first barrage.
The final hit on the upwards variant has respectable KO power but can be DI'd (away from him) to lessen it by a fair amount as it sends you at about 80*.

Grandiazero

Smash Rookie
i know sonic have hard MU's but he is good. if only the melee skills came back, things will be a lot more better with meta knight not added in. that way everything will be balanced again. if you fans want to know more about me. search youtube and type Grandiazero. i made sonic vids and no fans never sees them. oh well, at least i tried. i can't wait for mario and sonic at olymp game 2. i know it's not part of brawl but it is a fun game.

Supreme65

Smash Apprentice
Hey sonics. From ya experiences who gives you a hard time. I main him, my brother, cousins and friends use him. From their experiences They say it's Marth, GnW, Peach and Wario.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
cam, you dont even have to win. just call me when you make more money at a tourney than you spent on it.
Sorry that I attend tournaments that are stacked with the best players from NJ/NY and not...Buffalo xD

But aight, I'll work on it ;]

go up to the top of this thread, and look directly underneath the title of the thread, those are sonics hard matchups
Add ROB there too.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

Utilt is very useful and is one of, if not his safest KO move UNTIPPERED. You should be seeing this move more than you suggest, but that depends on the marth playstyle as it doesnt necessarily put marth in a good position if it misses (hed much rather be in the air)

Again one of his best KO moves... expect this as an oos punisher if DS is stale or will not kill.

This will be used more than sporadically lol. its kill power is very good but hitting the sweetspot isnt exactly easy as more often than not the first hit will drag the enemy inwards, away from the tipper.

The final hit on the upwards variant has respectable KO power but can be DI'd (away from him) to lessen it by a fair amount as it sends you at about 80*.
Looooooooooooooooooool.

Correct, it can vary from playstyle to playstyle, which is why I left a disclaimer on some of them... I haven't seen a Marth utilize UTilt anymore than a platform pressure tool/anti-aerial. Just as you said too, it's dangerous if whiffed.

DSmash, really? I never see this used either unless it was a mistake or trying to hit opponent/s on either/both sides. This is just a FSmash that's more laggy and kills off the top for me.

What do you want me to change here than? Just that it will be used more frequently than I presume?

Assuming you've been hit by the previous DB inputs, the final hits of any strike are always too decayed to kill.

However if you really want me to change some minor things, go ahead and make another post saying and it's done.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I don't see why you guys find ROB to be that difficult...
I don't see how you can't find ROB to be that difficult.

You midwest players must be blinded by OS or somethin ;]

To back up DJ, Kinz, Dsmash is very good OoS when PSing, and Utilt is also a very good move for platform camping or just keeping you away. Maybe not a kill move but...if fresh it does have KO potential around 150% or so. Which is high, yes, but something to keep in mind.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ill tell you right now. if you tried to do that, my list, cams list, kinzers (awful) list, and malcolms list would all be complete different

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
ill tell you right now. if you tried to do that, my list, cams list, kinzers (awful) list, and malcolms list would all be complete different
This is very true. Too many varying opinions coming from our own experiences.

I would offer maybe have a voting style kind of list, like everyone makes their own spectrum and we just kinda mesh them together...but I can already imagine how different everyone's would be -_-'

kinzers (awful)
I lol'd xD

Browny

Smash Hater
different opinions is a good thing... anyway ill do my own later, im sure to be bored tonight with free time lol. MS Paint time again yay

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Nah, browny. In time we'll be like the borg from Star Trek. One mind. One collective. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!

etc. etc.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Haha, KID telling me I'm awful when I already know that.

Stop being in the past nukka.

Also that grid seems complicated, and it would be much easier to make a drop-down list.

Or anything, IDC, it's just bleh.

Browny

Smash Hater
turning the 'grid' from a horiztonal line to vertical isnt that much easier rofl

also the mario posts are making me more sadface than the PT 'discussion'. youre brave going in there alone cam lol idk if i want to follow >_<

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
All MU discussions are depressing now.

Let's just focus on getting ours done if people are going to be delusional, is there anything else wrong with my Martha analysis?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
its kinda bad. I disagreed with a lot of it.

here are my two suggestions.
1. get rid of numbers. they are much too fickle and arbitrary. and arent very useful entirely.

2. I know this is weird, but I think we should actually have THE OTHER MAINS do our write up for us. Let them do a write up for what they do. combos/mindgames that they employ, setups that they have. and than THEY can tell us what we can do to get around their moves. and than after that we can revise it slightly. Since its obvious that they wont have the full extent of what we can do, and we might have some little known things to get around their tricks.

Basically i feel like it makes all of us look really stupid and ignorant when some sonic main goes around saying that up tilt is a bad and infrequently used move. or that dancing blade will never kill.

No offence Kin, but I just feel like thats a perfect reason why people who dont main the character shouldnt talk about them. And as a matter of fact that could be a good reason why matchup discussions in general are awful.

Ive heard terrible reports of the last 3 times somebody came here asking for sonic main input on their matchup. and its because they are trying to go in depth about a character they really dont have that deep of a knowledge on. and thats our problem as well.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You're very ******** if you think DB will ever kill, I'll give you the UPTilt but seriously? Tell me somebody else here can back me up on that, or at least if I have to I will get confirmation from the mainers of the character and I can tell you they won't say anything different.

At least I'm trying, I don't see you do @#$% but point out the things other people.

...Then again, I question whether or not it's better that way.

Top Bottom