• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I would say 60:40 for Sonic just cause I want to be optimistic for once instead of pessimistic.
lolol QFT. I would really go with 55:45 Sonic though. I don't see Zelda having the advantage, but I barely see an advantage to Sonic. One of the reason I'm going for an advantage for Sonic is because I think overall Sonic has better coutnerpicks against Zelda than the other way around. I'm trying to get myself out my starter stage mindset, lol. I don't think battlefield is a bad stage for Sonic against Zelda, because platforms don't hamper Sonic as much as people make them out to, and it allows Sonic to have zelda above so much more easily, which is Zeldas weakest spot. I would consider battlefield neutral, and pretty much every other legal stage neutral or in Sonic's favor.

I honestly don't think there is a stage that puts sonic at a disadvantage when the Sonic is familiar with the stage, except for perhaps pictochat.

I also agree that the whole SDIing out of Zelda's smashes is overrated. It is much harder to DI out of them than say Pika's dsmash. and as marsulas mentioned, trying to escape them may just mean an easier death for you.

EDIT;

Forgot to say that assessing match-up numbers with Sonic gets difficult sometimes haha. Because as I've said before, I think that since we all mostly play Sonic, often what we consider "neutral" may just be "its not that hard to win", even if the other character truly has the advantage. And when we think we have the advantage its just because the matchup is really neutral, lulz. Perhaps thats what happens with me and the Snake matchup, although even throughout all our discussion, I saw no true advantage for Snake to warrant a 60:40 in his favor.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I don't think battlefield is a bad stage for Sonic against Zelda, because platforms don't hamper Sonic as much as people make them out to, and it allows Sonic to have zelda above so much more easily, which is Zeldas weakest spot. I would consider battlefield neutral, and pretty much every other legal stage neutral or in Sonic's favor.
battlefield doesn't do a lot to HURT sonic, it just does a lot to HELP zelda. I think I already mentioned why earlier so I won't do it again right now.

Smashville and Yoshi's Island give no additional advantage to either.

Final destination probably the best for sonic as far as neutrals go. that is, unless your tourney puts lylat cruise as a neutral and Zelda didn't ban it.

as for the Zelda main's input on the matchup:
barring conversation on sheik and Zelda/Sheik for another day, the matchup is neutral. Good zeldas are hard to come by, so you generally shouldn't have to fear her much, but a good zelda will stonewall your every approach if she predicts it and get punished if you bait a whiff. It's a big game of chicken.

Zelda normally comes out on top from what I've seen because she just has a lot more frightening of options if she comes out ahead durning any given altercation.

I say 55:45 Zelda's advatage. no way zelda has greater than a 60:40 though. and no way sonic has an advantage that's anything more than very slight (aka: 55:45).

if your matchup thread is splitting hairs between whether it should be 50:50 or 55:45 Zelda, then I leave that up to you. but lot of threads just call that neutral and move on. :chuckle: so if that's the case, yeah. zelda can be done for now I guess (you seriously only discuss matchups for <1 day? O.o)

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Lol, I thought this discussion was short as hell as well. I was thoroughly enjoying it.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Haha, well it depends really. But I don't know how much else we can discuss. But I definitely enjoyed the discussion as well.

I think match-up numbers should be agreed on by both sides. it seems that with one exception, the Zelda side sees it as 55:45 Zelda or 50:50, while the Sonic side mostly sees it at 55:45 Sonic. So I would say 50:50 would be the best consensus.

Tenki

Smash Hero
(you seriously only discuss matchups for <1 day? O.o)
We discuss until it feels done, or at least, until both sides get good contributions/agreement.

"Weekly" discussion threads with a ton of dead time (matchup discussions, SBR character discussions) are stupid.

The Peach discussion kind of took a while, due to a bunch of questions in the matchup. Everyone seems to be accepting of this matchup for now, so it might as well.

rip.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Kind of what Tenki said...we work fast...though that should be no surprise.

Or at least we do work fast now, that we have Greenstreet here (and maybe me :laugh:).

As for me I really think that it is 60:40 Sonic's favor, but I can settle for less.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
META KNIGHT~ Character Matchup 17

'Hayayayayayayaya'

Introduction

He's regarded by most as broken. He over took Snake last summer and is the best character in the game, having no bad match ups and the best chance you have against him is also using Metaknight. What poses problems for Sonic is Metaknight being less punishable then most characters, his ability to punish you, near ungimpable recovery, range and can hinder your options sets Sonic at adisadvantage. However Metaknight is unable to gay Sonic like he does to other chacrters with Mach tornado, Shuttle loop and gimping, this stops this from becoming a really bad match up.

Behaviour:

Metaknight has more range then you and due to is sword having hit box you attacks will not clash with him. Normally a campy Metaknight is harder than an offensive one. The offensive type are more prone to bait and punishing, aka Sonic stuff. But the campy ones will get a lead in percentage, forcing you to approach. And they tend to punish you as you try and approach. He’s almost ungimpable with five jumps and 2 glides, and has good ledge options to boot. He also may pressure you off stage but Sonics versatile recovery makes it less of a problem compared to most of the cast.

Commonly Used Moves:

Mach tornado

One of Metaknight’s best moves however Sonic deals with it better than a lot of the cast does. Used for shield pressure, racking up damage, set up juggles or just spam... Good Metaknights will hover just above the ground to reduce landing lag, otherwise they would be open to punishment. If you are positioned above Metaknight, it's possible to homing attack him out of it, or drop a spring thus knocking him out. You can also forward smash him out of it if you tilt upwards while doing so. However try not to depend on this. Also tilt your shield towards the tornado to help prevent it poking through your shield. If a Metaknight is chasing you with a tornado, dash away and then dash back when you notice him retreating and punish him. If you get caught, smash DI upwards to get out.

REMEMBER OUT-OF-SHIELD OPTIONS >_>

Tornado- Well, you guys should be familiar with the spring hijinks and the maybe-not-so-reliable

direct attacks XD I'm not bringing that up again. OoS options!
Shield (tilt shield to follow his movement!) > release shield AS SOON as MK pulls off and begin to chase. Be prepared to
re-shield if he pulls towards you again.
- If he's really low, you might want to use dash attack to punish it, since it's Sonic's "fastest" form of punishment. Just
be aware he can attack right away after you hit him, so you might want to go for this one more often at higher %'s so he
doesn't just D-air you after you knock him upwards.
- If he has to fall a bit (eg, "lagless landing"), you can take advantage of his floatiness (cause he has to land first XD)
and probably go for a grab.
Dair

A short hop dair from a shield makes punishing Metaknight difficult since it comes out so fast. I suggest an Uair out of shield as an option.

Fair

Another good move. You can punish short hopped fast fall Fairs upon landing if you’re quick enough. A buffed dash attack out of shield is an option too. Dash shield and attempt a grab or short hop bair. Futhermore he can weave, hitting the tip for his sword and then retreat, but his poor aerial acceleration makes this less of a problem.

Down tilt

No, down tilts do not wall Sonic. Meta’s down tilt comes out very fast and has little cool down, However jumping out of shield is a good option if you get down tilted as the move has little shield stun. If you're being down tilted against a wall, DI up and try to spring out. A bair will also deal with this too.

Shuttle loop

Regarded by some as Metaknight’s best move, but once again Sonic deals with it quite will. Keep in mind that Meta can do this out of shield and the first 5 frames have invincibility. However the latter half of the loop is noticeably weaker then the start. If you're in the position to be shuttle swooped (You are above him, almost vertically) attack from above and DI upwards. Spring to down air is a good choice, and other aerials may work too, knocking Meta out of the loop.

Down smash

A very good move, it comes out in 4 frames and is fairly powerful, with the second slash being the strongest. Usually used as a kill method or just to punish by Metaknights. If you suspect it coming (you’re in kill percentage) , I recommend you shield. Usually used after a side step, a down smash or to punish you. If a Meta tries a jab to down smash, DI away then shield or short hop bair. You can punish this with a dash attack out of shield. May charge it if they're expecting you to side step so be aware of that.

Forward tilt

This move has slightly move range then your forward tilt so space wisely. They won’t continue if they hit only once and see you shielding. But if they do complete it, it's quite punishable. If they don't it's quite hard to punish. They can cancel the first or second hit into a down tilt, down smash or grab.

Down throw

This throw is popular due to its high damage output and potential follow ups at lower percentages. DI away and double jump, however be aware that he can follow it up with a fair, tonado and other things.

Glide attack

Tilt you forward smash towards him. Used to reduce the lag from landings and to kill.

Shuttle loop > Glide Attack
There are two ways to directly punish this move:
During the rise (mainly vs aerial shuttle loop only):
- drop a spring or, if you're cool, drop straight above MK and catch him with an aerial, like F-air.
During the glide:
- Out of shield: Shield the rise > Jump immediately after the rise and use F-air/N-air/U-air. N-air might be
able to hit before he can glide attack.
- Miss: Jump into him with an aerial.
Glide attack clangs with every single one of Sonic's aerials, so the only way to beat it is to have an aerial with multiple
hits.
- Be wary / ready to punish this move from the edge. Some MK's like to ledge hop shuttle loops.
After (?):
- DON'T TRY TO SHIELD GRAB GLIDE ATTACK IF THE MK HAS ANY OUNCE OF SPACING ABILITY.
Most likely, if you stand there in shield, he'll expect you to try to grab, then he'll go for a D-smash. Sound fun?
How to Win:

@Cat:
Holy crap, Metaknight's speed is piss poor in the air.

Which makes the following statement more valid:

If you get hit by Metaknight by something that is NOT a kill move (U-air, F-air in-stage, D-throw, etc), DI away
from him.

If you're getting hit by a kill move, DI up and towards him.
  • Spacing with Bairs is a good. It out ranges some of his moves although his comes out quicker.
An important thing about MKs hit boxes on most of his moves. They don't clang with anything. You already knew
that, I'm sure, but its important to know how to apply it. If you can outrange MK, you WILL hit him. Because his moves don't
clang with anything. If your hit box extends past his, he will be pwned. Which is why SHFF Bairs are so good here. They do
outrange most of MKs Aerials and ground moves I'm pretty sure. Of course his moves come out quicker, thats the main problem,

but you should be wary of spacing.
  • If you’re getting juggled, you may dair into another uair. So a spin shot away from the Metaknight may be a good idea.
  • Bait he moves and punishing him out of shield for it. Dash > shield is a good way. Another one is a delayed spin dash shield cancel.
  • Pressure the Metaknight of stage. Not an gimping attempt, but giving him move damage then he left the stage as. However don’t stay too far away from the stage though as bad things can happen.
  • Stay at a distance when a Metaknight is at the edge, out if range for a fair or shuttle loop. Or you can run towards the ledge and be ready to punish out of shield.
  • Forward smash has deceptively low cool down, used to lure you in for a trap.
  • Use forward tilt as a spacing tool as well. Meta’s forward tilt is longer, keep that in mind.
  • Metaknight is susceptible to stages with low ceilings
  • To deal with planking, try droping springs onto him
  • Note that Sonic has a chain grab on him via air release from a grab. You can buffer a dash and catch him again, hyphen up smash him or fair him (off stage)
Drill Rush
During the attack:
- F-air WILL clang with and beat this move.
- Jump over and hit from behind (?)
After the attack (miss):
- Grab MK
- Foxtrot F-smash (you have to start running before the attack is over, of course.
- Dash attack, charged SDR, etc.

A lot of MKs seem to be wary about using this move and landing, so they tend to go for the edge if possible. So with that
said... edgehog (?) if the chance arises.

Cape
- I think it's possible to hit MK towards the beginning of the cape movement.
- His movement is like Lucario's up-B in that he can control the movement and go in circles, lines, etc.
- Not sure about ending lag on this one. There's noticeably less lag if he doesn't attack out of it.
- Avoidance: stay in the air (possible use for HA as a 'time stall'>punishment when he gets out of cape)
Recommended Stages:

Ban-
Frigate
Luigi’s Mansion

Counter pick-
Green greens
Corneria

Matchup Summary:

:sonic: :metaknight:
40:60 Disadvantage

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
i need matchup decision on the characters since ness. thats snake, peach and zelda. anyone got em... (so i can quickly update the front page pic)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Somebody else will give them to you I suppose...too tired...going to bed now...

BTW you might want to update it so that it's MK on the headliner.

And also, if Marth/Sonic was agreed at 65:35, why is he black on our list?

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Coz i got it from ROOOOY! i think and that's what he reckoned... i'll probly change it. and maybe put GAW as black.....maybe.........

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Sonic can actually wins this matchup 100 - 0

How?

Ban MK.

Lol JK, I'm anti-ban/Pro-MK anyways.

As for the matchup decisions, Snake and Peach were agreed to be 60:40, somehow. Zelda the overall consensus on both sides is that the matchup is neutral, mostly swaying between 55:45 to either characters favor, so I think 50:50 is a fair decision. But let me break it down.

Lets see, ShadowLink, Kinzer, and Alopex called a 60:40 advantage for Sonic. I could actually go for that.

Tenki, and most of the zelda mains vouched for 50:50 or 55:45 Zelda. To me the decision is between 55:45 Sonic and 50:50.

Although I personally 55:45 Sonic would be most accurate, I think 50:50 would be fine with everyone and seem fair to both sides.

Also, yea about the coloring, I think Matchups 55:45 - 45:55 Should be grey, matchups 60:40/40:60 should be Red/Blue, and 70:30+ Should be black.

EDIT: Oh and ROB was 55:45 for the Operating Buddy. And yea Marth should definitely be red. Even if he had 80:20 matchup numbers, he is by no means near unwinnable for Sonic, so I just don't think the black rating stands. So far the most deserving of a Black rating is G&W(coincidentally, lulz)

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Thats how it is Nape. Its just described in terms of small advantages and large advantages... so yer.
9/16 are disadvantages so far. lol and of the remaining, 6 are nuetral. :)

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Rawrrr, I just wrote a wall of text, then it got deleted ='(

Marth was deemed 70:30/75:25 innacurately. The consensus was 65:35.

Fox was overall at 55:45 in fox's favor from rereading the discusson.

Snake being harder than Pikachu and Luigi wants to make me cry. Heck, Samus is harder than Snake imo. Oh welll.

but Yayyyy MK timeee.

I love facing MK. First thing that should be posted here is the link to the Anti Tornado/Shuttle Loop thread, so here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199505&page=13

We need to organize the main ideas from it though.

First of all, HA> Tornado. If the homing attack is either lined up with the tornado or anywhere above, the HA has like a 85% chance of hitting lol. Just know your HA mechanics right. Tornado doesnt move verticall nearly as well as it does horizontally, so you can easily just double jump into a Homing attack, or you could just not cancel the HA, so that it rises with the nado. Seriously, just try it. If the MK is resorting to noobish tornado spam, then resort to noobish Homing Attack spam. Strangely Enough, it is the easiest and arguable the best way to deal with nado.

If you are directly above Nado, Just spring your way to safety.

Up-Angled Fsmash will hit through, buts this is realllyyyy risky.

Same for a well placed bair(you're hitting with the foot of it).

Grounded DownB can sometimes beat it, not sure when though.

As puffball mentioned, you can use UpB right before MK reaches you as he approaches with Nado. If MK lands on the spring, he will cancel his nado, and likely accidentally perform a SideB, which you can punish sooo easily, especially from height he'd be falling from.

Your best options against Nado:

-If directly above, spring. You can also try to SDI upwards, epecially at the beginning of the nado, to escape it. Spam spring as you do this.

- If you are to the sides of nado, Use Homing attack. Just jump to a height lined up with or above the top of the nado, you will hit MK, even if hes moving away from you.

-Alternatively, use a gounded spring to cause the MK to fly up, and likely accidentally perform a SideB you can easily punish.

Shuttle loop is seriously a joke against Sonic if you know what you're doing. Invincible on the first frame it comes out(5). Otherwise its priority is lulz. Glide attack is beaten by Multi hit attacks, or at least multihit aerials. Fair and uair are both extremely effective. If you are above MK when he uses shuttle loop, or you anticipate him using it, just spring to Dair. Its too good. If MK is gliding torwards you, you can just runaway and punish his landing/post glide attack lag. Or you can just run towards him and Shield> Grab or SH fair.

Lets see what else. Your uair beats out his dair. You're one of the only character quick enough to punish MKs landing/attack lag, so make use of that. Tenki should have juicy frame data soon.

For some reason, SDR combos work exceptionally well against MK. I think his round shape allows you to combo easily or something. Just make sure you're comboing into Fair and Uair, since they are more ranged and come out uber quick.

Run/powershield grab alot, even against his aerials. MK has horrible airspeed and acceleration, so he can't really weave aerials well. They're just so darn quick.

You MUST take advantage of Sonic's running speed here. its the only way you are going to win. You're grab game becomes crucial. ASC fails against so many of MKs moves becaure of their speed and disjointedness. If you can land an ASC, then awesome, but you really shouldnt be crazy about landing ASC hits in this matchup. Make use of cancels, and punish that tiny bit of ending lag on MKs moves, with grabs.

Also, MKs shield is horrible. Keep it in the back of your mind that you want to diminish his shield, not to break it, but to poke it. If you charge up a DownB or SideB, let it go a little bit longer, so that the MK, likely to shield, holds up his shield for longer. If you land an ASC, then go for the full freakin combo on the shield lol. Usmash can also come in handy both as an approach because of invincy frames, and because it diminishes shields and shieldpokes well. Once the shield is diminished, then go happy with ftilt(which you should be using as a spacing/range tool anyways), dtilt(goes under his shield easily), fair, and usmash.

SHFFd Bairs> basically all of his standard ground movesmoves.

SDR combos really are good here. Try not cancelling ASCs, or converting them into SDRs. Or just plain old DownB charge.

Just be afraid of the dtilt... lol.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Punishing/dealing with MK's specials?

REMEMBER OUT-OF-SHIELD OPTIONS >_>

Tornado- Well, you guys should be familiar with the spring hijinks and the maybe-not-so-reliable direct attacks XD I'm not bringing that up again. OoS options!
Shield (tilt shield to follow his movement!) > release shield AS SOON as MK pulls off and begin to chase. Be prepared to re-shield if he pulls towards you again.
- If he's really low, you might want to use dash attack to punish it, since it's Sonic's "fastest" form of punishment. Just be aware he can attack right away after you hit him, so you might want to go for this one more often at higher %'s so he doesn't just D-air you after you knock him upwards.
- If he has to fall a bit (eg, "lagless landing"), you can take advantage of his floatiness (cause he has to land first XD) and probably go for a grab.

Shuttle loop > Glide Attack
There are two ways to directly punish this move:
During the rise (mainly vs aerial shuttle loop only):
- drop a spring or, if you're cool, drop straight above MK and catch him with an aerial, like F-air.
During the glide:
- Out of shield: Shield the rise > Jump immediately after the rise and use F-air/N-air/U-air. N-air might be able to hit before he can glide attack.
- Miss: Jump into him with an aerial.
Glide attack clangs with every single one of Sonic's aerials, so the only way to beat it is to have an aerial with multiple hits.
- Be wary / ready to punish this move from the edge. Some MK's like to ledgehop shuttle loops.
After (?):
- DON'T TRY TO SHIELD GRAB GLIDE ATTACK IF THE MK HAS ANY OUNCE OF SPACING ABILITY.
Most likely, if you stand there in shield, he'll expect you to try to grab, then he'll go for a D-smash. Sound fun?

Drill Rush
During the attack:
- F-air WILL clang with and beat this move.
- Jump over and hit from behind (?)
After the attack (miss):
- Grab MK
- Foxtrot F-smash (you have to start running before the attack is over, of course.
- Dash attack, charged SDR, etc.

Alot of MKs seem to be wary about using this move and landing, so they tend to go for the edge if possible. So with that said... edgehog (?) if the chance arises.

Cape
- I think it's possible to hit MK towards the beginning of the cape movement.
- His movement is like Lucario's up-B in that he can control the movement and go in circles, lines, etc.
- Not sure about ending lag on this one. There's noticeably less lag if he doesn't attack out of it.
- Avoidance: stay in the air (possible use for HA as a 'time stall'>punishment when he gets out of cape)

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Coz i got it from ROOOOY! i think and that's what he reckoned... i'll probly change it. and maybe put GAW as black.....maybe.........
I said 35:65, I just saw on the main write up you did on him you put 30:70, so was like "K" and put it on the chart I was doing.

Let's do frequently used moves first:

Tornado
Shuttle Loop

Next.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Let's do frequently used moves first:

Tornado
Shuttle Loop
Got it covered loll

Punishing them out of shield is the best thing to do, really.

MK is fast, yes, but aside from his amazing landing lag, he actually has alot of 'commitment' time to his aerials, aside from U-air, and to a lesser extent, D-air.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I always thought of this as 30:70, but yeah.

We know about his specials and about how most of them suck against Sonic. What we need to figure out is any counters to his airgame, as his ground game is at least manageable.
He's like Marth in the sense that being aggressive aerially is punishable enough, but defensively...less so.
Retreating fairs and such seem to be the bane for me. What I find works is Hyphen Smashing a lot.

Even though he's lighter, I still think MK is going to have an easier time killing Sonic than the other way round. Spotdodge -> dsmash spamming is good against Sonic, simply because Sonic doesn't really have anything decent to match the speed. The only way I can think of countering that is SH nair, but yeah. The fact that Metaknight is basically ungimpable doesn't help.

What is people's problem with dtilt anyways? Just spinshot -> bair lol
More later

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I cba, my other computer in my room is down, and my Wii is in there. I'm not gonna walk up there

anyway:

Behaviour:
Meta Knight is only aggresive. Defensive MK's work well, cause it's MK, but offensive MK just overrules it. So he has top tier recovery, nearly ungimpable, Speedy attacks, nearly no lag, moves which are spammable.

Commonly Used Moves:
Tornado: to approach, pressure or kill. Used to kill when used with U-air, U-air, etc. SH F-air. To keep you away. Good MK's will fastfall retreat (good reason for it). SH D-air just for general use. D-smash to kill, kill, kill. Shuttle loop to stage spike, knock you back, recover. Glide attack: Can be canceled when attacking close to the ground. Be aware that if he normal glides (not Shuttle Loop), he will not be helpless after attacking.

How to Win:
This is honest frame work. As I said before, F-air is retreated and Fast-fallen by good MK's. Why, you ask? Because as Tenki pointed out to me, there are dead frames on F-air (about 20). In this he can do nothing. It's impossible for MK to double jump after a SH F-air. You can get away, get back in time, PUNISH (You're Sonic). Another good one is getting out of Tornado. MASH UP AND B (On both Control/C-stick). MK's are very unaware of Sonic's exsistence, let alone tricks. Therefore, an understudied MK will fall for your auto-cancelled D-air. Spring, D-air at the right distance. MK will space right, D-smash. You have very little reaction time, so hold shield. I have no idea how ASC works, but I honestly wouldnt recommend it. SDSC can be used to bait him into D-smash when you run up to him. This is rare, cause there's very little chance of MK being there and you all the way over here.
I'll come back at his moves a bit later

Recommended Stages:
Most advantageous stage against Sonic, there's just no bad stages for MK. Ban Battlefield or Luigi's Mansion. I say choose FD, no platforms to help him, good for Sonic.

Matchup Summary
75:25, there's just no denying MK

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Kolbie was number 7 on the AiB ladder and I beat him on Rainbow Cruise. It was awesome. Someone test Metaknight versus Sonic on notlagfi.

To be fair I ALMOST won the set on battlefield. I star KO'ed him and got sent flying off the side. Unfair. T_T

Something I noticed was that while he was in the air he's Usmash bait. Just hyphen smash/DAC that *****. He doesn't have the mobility to escape properly. That was tested limitedly though. More opinions plox.

I was watching mister 3000 at hobo 11 and i noticed he very consistently knowcked mks out of tornado with fsmash.
Tilted up. Sonic is too good.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I kind of agree on this matchup, except for Marth being a super disadvantage match up. He's mostly in the red. The characters I would say are Sonic's worst match ups are Wario and Olimar.
Here's my quick analysis. Which I think is fairly accurate for the rest of the characters that weren't covered yet.

Sonic VS

Metaknight: Disadvantage
IC: Disadvantage
Yoshi: Neutral
Falco: Disadvantage
Ganon: Big advantage
C. Falcon: Big advantage
Sheik: Neutral
Pit: Neutral
Wario: Big Disadvantage
Olimar: Big Disadvantage
Squirtle: Advantage
Ivysaur: Neutral
Charizard: Advantage
Diddy Kong: Neutral
Lucas: Neutral
King Dedede: Disadvantage
Ike: Advantage
Jigglypuff: Advantage
Toon Link: Neutral
Wolf: Disadvantage
Bowser: Advantage
Lucario: Disadvantage

Total:
13 Neutral match ups
14 Bad match ups (With Marth)
2 Big disadvantages. ( Not counting Marth )
2 Big Advantages
5 Advantages

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Lets just settle on MK being 70:30 and call it a day in terms of match-up numbers, lol. Idk if its called 90:10 honestly, its not that hard to beat MK imo.

I second almost all of what Tenki said.

I'm pretty sure your Bair outranges most of MKs offerings. Although its obviously slower.

Tenki

Smash Hero
This is patheticccc you guys got like 1 page while I was gone.

freaking m*gik*rps.

And I really didn't comment on the rest of this matchup yet. All I did was tell you guys how to deal with his specials LOL >_>

Well, the only thing 'related' to behavior in this matchup that I mentioned was to shield specials and punish OoS instead of trying to take them head on.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I think this matchup is 70:30 MKs favor...yet I still like fighting him more than I do Wario and G&W.

I have yet to beat a non-spammy MK, but I always get close, and with each battle I get closer, so once I am able to win that, I'll feel good.

I once got a Star K.O. on a MK with a Spring to Dair combo, it was awesome. I bet he wanted to hit me some more while I was still up high, and he was below me so I just thought I'd be annoying and give him 4% damage, get rid of his Up-B momentum, and then Dair to get back on the ground. Instead the Spring puts him right into the path of my Dair attack when it was still up and then "Nooooooo!!" followed by "You're too slow!"

People have said it, MK is ungimpable, so what I do is just try to drop a Spring at teh appropriate time to at least get some damage in, trying to fight him offstage is almost suicide.

I think that's all I have to say that hasn't been said already, feel free to take him wherever you're comfortable, he has no bad stages...

Just stay unpredictable and play it safe, you should be able to win...maybe.

Tenki

Smash Hero
On a somewhat related note, does anyone know where that thread is that compares airspeeds in Brawl?

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Gf2tw

A Sonic with no spinshot is like Sonic without steak. Or Cat with no hat.

You can't do it.

Seriously, learn to player.

Most MK's I've played seemed to underestimate bair.

Like I would have a 9/10 success rate with bair.

:093:

Tenki

Smash Hero
@Cat:
Eh, spinshot isn't learning to player. That's learning to Sonic.

lol.

-----------------------
Holy crap, Metaknight's speed is piss poor in the air.

Which makes the following statement more valid:

If you get hit by Metaknight by something that is NOT a kill move (U-air, F-air in-stage, D-throw, etc), DI away from him.

If you're getting hit by a kill move, DI up and towards him.

Seriously. MK's aerial game is amazing. If it just weren't for the fact that he was so slow, he could like, juggle forever. Unfortunately, if you DI away from him, he'll have to fall first before he can chase you, other wise, he's gonna have some fun trying to catch up to you lol.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
That's what I meant. <_<

Wait.....Sonic's air speed is......above decent?!?

:093:
I thought you knew? He has one of the better air speeds in the game.

Oh, and to your spinshot comment, I fullheartedly agree.
What would a Ball be...without a Puff?

Top Bottom