• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
DDD Haha.

I love mentioning this...

DDD is extremely suspect to offstage homing attack gimping. I dunno why, he just is.

Kixx

Smash Rookie
Sonic vs DDD . hehe , ive played a fairly decent DDD, and its aggravting since hes a fat dreamland boy, but my problem i alwayz have with him is hes runnin belly flop zzzz if i miss my attack that one lil flop just hurts n that is sooo...annoyin. other than that i think its somewhat even, just tag wait tag wait and hope a smash attack or spring gets him zz.

Browny

Smash Hater
we should take the wario approach (not physical) to this matchup.

its in DDD's favour if he has a % lead, Sonics favour if Sonic gains a % lead. lmao

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I love facing D3.

I agree with 55:45

D3 is indeed extremely succeptible to HA KOs. Most multijump characters are. But he is especialyl vulnerable because of his alrge size and having the worst horizontal airspeed. His fair is also pretty slow to come out and slightly laggy at the end I believe, so he can't protext against it well.

In general, D3 Is pretty easy to edgeguard I think, despite his multiple aerials for Sonic. He's too slow in the air. We can send him flying offstage and be there to finish him off in an instant. Sonic can't space well horizontall in the air, but he can do pretty well vertically, which helps against D3.

D3's spotdodge is insane, and his grab range is huge. Sonic is hard to grab though.

Oh, D3 eats spindash combos, like all large characters.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Okay... so with all Sonic has going for him, what does Sonic have against him in this matchup that makes it even or near even?

Tenki

Smash Hero
D3's spotdodge is insane, and his grab range is huge. Sonic is hard to grab though.
What makes Sonic so hard to grab though?

It's when you approach and actually throw out an attack that will leave you vulnerable.

infomon

Smash Scientist
D3's enormous grab range + chaingrab ruin a ton of our options, he's heavy so he doesn't die easily, mostly ungimpable, Bair, waddle dee's force us to approach and can mess with our spacing / putting spindashes into hitlag allowing him an easier time to punish them....

I love how upsmash eats D3 though. Like, if he ever uses his up-B, we can maul him easy peasy.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
What makes Sonic so hard to grab though?

It's when you approach and actually throw out an attack that will leave you vulnerable.
He's relatively hard to grab I should have said, and thats if the Sonic is paying attention to not being grabbed. I would assume Sonic would use ASCs for damage, which are hard to grab. If you're going for the shield cancel, you can dodge immediately upon landing, or just shield cancel outside oh his grab range.

Either, the chaingrab really isn't a big deal. FD is where you're most vulnerable to it, and still you won't be receiving that much damage from it. At least, the damage output from a typical chaingrab matches or is less than that of an ASC or spindash combo. And if You're playing on a stage that isn't FD , this becomes even more true, as Sonic can still do as much damage through ASCs, and whatnot while D3s damage output through chaingrabs will be lessened.

Utilt is likely the most annoying thing of this entire matchup for me. Besides maybe spotdodges, but those are punishable with lingering hitboxes.

EDIT:

D3's enormous grab range + chaingrab ruin a ton of our options, he's heavy so he doesn't die easily, mostly ungimpable, Bair, waddle dee's force us to approach and can mess with our spacing / putting spindashes into hitlag allowing him an easier time to punish them....
They don't exactly ruin alot of Sonic's options. You can get grabbed more easily for sure, but thats countered by the damage output Sonic gains from landing his moves against D3. His fast fall speed and horrendous horizontal airspeed make him combomania. He's not at all mostly ungimpable. Well, at least depending on what you consider by gimping. I find him very succeptible to offtstage KOs against Sonic. And if he chooses toy use his UpB, free damage for Sonic(You can uair him easily, or usmash upon landing as you suggested). As SL said, Waddledees aren't a problem. Few D3s ever use their SideB against me, because its not worth it. in the time it takes for them to even throw it, Sonic is already in your face grabbing you. And Sonic almost always has to approach anyways. Out of all the projectile in the game, WaddleDee's are likely the least annoying in the game for Sonic.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I'm still not convinced that ASC has more priority when it starts. And that's after I tested OMNOMNOM frame for a while. Then again, those tests were madly inconclusive and I taped over them by accident LOL. I should go back and do that again.

My comment about the waddle dee's wasn't at all that they're troublesome as a projectile. What happens to me instead, is that when I'm off the stage trying to recover or w/e, D3 puts waddle dees around, because then if I'm ever using a spindash, they slow us down in hitlag just burrowing through them. It basically sets the stage up with little traps lol. It seems silly because it barely matters, but then.... it matters :urg:

but then I'm not very good at this game, so w/e :laugh: D3 just grabs me out of my ASCs, unless I start them far enough away that he just hits me with his crazily disjointed moves.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I'm still not convinced that ASC has more priority when it starts. And that's after I tested OMNOMNOM frame for a while. Then again, those tests were madly inconclusive and I taped over them by accident LOL. I should go back and do that again.

My comment about the waddle dee's wasn't at all that they're troublesome as a projectile. What happens to me instead, is that when I'm off the stage trying to recover or w/e, D3 puts waddle dees around, because then if I'm ever using a spindash, they slow us down in hitlag just burrowing through them. It basically sets the stage up with little traps lol. It seems silly because it barely matters, but then.... it matters :urg:
Oh, I usually just kick them away to get them out of the way ever since I saw this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAPFFUMOJAM

lololol

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Napi, could you please edit your post at the top of the page with King Dedede's picture?

Thanks.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
ASC doesn't have good priority.
Which is why it's meant to be used as a punisher :3

Dedede...I don't know. On paper, it's pretty much a 40:60, but in practice it never feels that bad. He lacks any particular "GTFO off me" moves, specially in the air, but he's got good keep away options around mid range.

Obviously Dedede's going to be a ***** to kill, though damage racking on him is deliciously easy thanks to the afore mentioned point. I can't see any character gimping the other, though I do see Sonic racking up a fair bit of damage easily thanks to Dedede being really easy to intercept offstage.

Dedede can chaingrab, but Sonic has the tools that make him difficult to grab.
Waddle Dee's are not a problem lol.

I hate Dedede's utilt with a passion.

I dunno, I guess I'd call this 40:60 at worst, though I could see where people were coming from if they called it neutral.

Of course, Sonic v Dedede on Battlefield is 100:0 our favour =p

Has any one let the Dedede boards know that we're on him?

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
i'll test it out as well once I get back to NY.
I have repeatedly broken through Yoshi's eggs when using the ASC.

What I think may have ocurred is two things.

1.The priority when the ASC is started has high priority just after it starts. Roughly that of Sonic's Fsmash after it starts.
2.Its possible that Sonic's hurtbox is mostly on the underside, similar to his spincharge and spindash. This however would not excuse the yoshi egg issue.
3. I've destroyed a fully charged shot from Samus using the ASC. Something that cannot be done with the spindash's hop.

I don't think it is invincible, just that at the beginning, Sonic's hurtbox is really small, similar to when he uses his Usmash. Which would explain a good deal.

Anyways I call this matchup 55-45.
The main issue with DDD is that he lives so very long and has incredible range to his attacks and of course, his CG which is an excellent method of racking up damage.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I still find D3 to be easy to land kills on for Sonic, especially offstage. Killing him isn't nearly as much of a problem as it is killing someone like Snake, imo.

and yea 55-45 is my vote. The only reason I give D3 the advantage at all is that no matter how many ASCs Sonic can land, damage from it is not guaranteed. D3s chain grab is guaranteed damage so long as he lands the grab, and the viability of his chain grab does no change depending on percentage, unlike comboing from ASC.

i'll test it out as well once I get back to NY.
I have repeatedly broken through Yoshi's eggs when using the ASC.

What I think may have ocurred is two things.

1.The priority when the ASC is started has high priority just after it starts. Roughly that of Sonic's Fsmash after it starts.
2.Its possible that Sonic's hurtbox is mostly on the underside, similar to his spincharge and spindash. This however would not excuse the yoshi egg issue.
3. I've destroyed a fully charged shot from Samus using the ASC. Something that cannot be done with the spindash's hop.

I don't think it is invincible, just that at the beginning, Sonic's hurtbox is really small, similar to when he uses his Usmash. Which would explain a good deal.
ASC eats projectiles. I've beaten Arrows, fully charged 170+% Auraspheres, etc or whatever. I really think you just have to hit forward and hit at a rgood angle. The smalle hurtbox theory might be accurate. It seems that when I graze projectiles with the edge of the move rather than going against them head on, I fare better. And you have to hold forward against them.

Oh, and btw, SideB hop most definitely does eat through Samus' full charge shot. I haven't played a samus without doing it at least a single time. Your timing just has to be really good, as in, exactly upon release. Only projectile I know of SideB doesn't go through is shiek needles if she uses it fully charged(hitbox is out for too long).

qwertyman

Smash Apprentice
aeghrur: That's fine, don't worry about it.
If I may, who is the generally accepted best Sonic player?

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Probably Puffball, AKA Espy.
Of course, if you want to play just good sonics/knowledgeable sonics on these boards, you can ask just about anyone for a match.
Of course, some are banned, but yeah, I'll try to get them to play you. =/
Oh, and here's SM5, who's a pretty good sonic main too. You two should play, lol. xD

:093:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
That would be me.
jk, but we don't really have a "best". Right now though, I'd say that Espy, MalcolmM, and 3K are the best imo. Why did everyone respond so fast? Do people just like responding to this question? Steak.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Probably Puffball, AKA Espy.
Of course, if you want to play just good sonics/knowledgeable sonics on these boards, you can ask just about anyone for a match.
Of course, some are banned, but yeah, I'll try to get them to play you. =/
Oh, and here's SM5, who's a pretty good sonic main too. You two should play, lol. xD

i would, but EMZ is hogging the game. frickin RPG's. Me, good? i dunno about that...Cam, you up for some against a D3? And yes, Cam, we do. :)

qwertyman

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm not used to this speed in responding. The Dedede boards are perpetually dead, because there's only like three people who post alot. :p

Anyone who wants to play, just send me a message on my profile page.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I already told Boxob I'd play him :/

Or else I would.

qwertyman

Smash Apprentice
I have to ask, is there some particular reason that half of you are banned? :D

I already have one probable taker.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
my friend is hogging the game, and he will NOT give it up. Okay, so its 55:45 D3, right? Chaingrabs, a whole lot of defense, this guy can be alot of trouble for Sonic. we would have to make sure every one of our moves connects in the right way, or it's chaingrab central.

qwertyman

Smash Apprentice
More or less, that's the case. Look ar our forums, and look for my thread. Gun 'em Down is the title. Watch my vidoes vs. Fox, I think it would look like that matchup.

Tenki

Smash Hero
the matches were supar lag.

:<

I don't know how many swallows I ran into and I don't know how many chaingrabs he messed up lol

better off playing vs someone else I guess XD

edit in response to next post:
He's in Arkansas.

Top Bottom