• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sons of Greil- Ike Tournament Results

Edo14

Smash Cadet
... I made it pass 2 pools and got into brackets with Ike at WGF. Do I get anything :(?

Kirk

Smash Champion
Here it comes. Another long *** story. So...

Prepare Yourself!
Sorry, I had to. :/

My Weekend at the Midwest Circuit Championships

First of all, links:

Tournament: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=214333
Results: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=216786
AiB: http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=4431 (has the bracket too)

This was quite the long weekend for me. I left around noon on Friday to start driving to Indiana. I picked up Meneil(you know...that girl Ike player...omg girl!) on the way in Chicago...then met up with MachinegunNorm at another friend's(Big C's) house just across the border. We stayed for a bit to relax and goof off. We ended up playing more Smash 64 than Brawl...that game is way too ridiculous. xD After a few hours, Meneil, Norm and I left to start our voyage to the venue.

The venue was set to open up around 5-6pm. People would be coming in periodically to play and stuff and sleep over until the tournament the next day. We were coming a bit late...probably around 7-8pm. But to our surprise there were only 3 people there...the TOs. No one showed up until a few hours later. So we just started playing friendlies and stuff until more people showed up with more TVs/set-ups/etc...and then we played MORE friendlies. :D I didn't feel like playing Ike at all for w/e reason...so I was going random the whole time just because I could. But that would play to my advantage...surprisingly enough. Because...

There was a side tournament to be held around midnight after more people showed up. I knew there was going to be a smaller tourney, but I didn't know what kind. It was an ALL random tourney. Random characters, random stages, EVERY stage turned on. Wow it was quite the fun time. Around 35ish people entered. It was ridiculously fun playing as Captain Falcon and Sonic on stages like Mushroomy Kingdom and Hyrule Temple. I got to play Overswarm in the winner's semis...Hyrule Temple and Mario Bros. are way too good. xD I was winning all of my matches until the winner's finals...where I barely lost to Kel 3-2. Then I ended up playing Anther in the loser's finals and lost 3-1. Got 3rd place and won my $1 entry fee back. :D That ended around 3-4am...and it was time to get some sleep...

It was difficult to get decent rest... as there were a few people who opted to stay up the entire night playing Brawl. Regardless, I got enough to function the next day. :o Doubles was first at 12pm. I was supposed to team with Tink, but he johned out last minute...so I ended up teaming with MachinegunNorm. It was...meh. Lost one set, won one, then lost one again. Things definitely could have gone better...but oh well. Anther and Lain ended up winning...they're too good.

I ended up just playing some friendlies with Legan and a money match with Infern Angelis. Legan has the SEXIEST LINK I HAVE EVER SEEN. I absolutely LOVED playing against him and later watched some of his tournament matches(He 2-0'd one of the MI Metaknights, Bowyer...it was so sexy). We played about four games or so. I ended up winning all of them...but man was it challenging and fun. He's a really cool person too. I can't wait to meet up with him again in the future, whenever that may be.

Infern had wanted a money match with me before the tournament started. So we finally got around to it(yes, an Ike ditto...ugh). It was a money match...so I dealt with it. :p I ended up two and three stocking him in our games(Ike edgeguards Ike SO well it's crazy). We played a few friendlies afterwards, which he started doing much better as time went on. I still won them all, but I was glad to see he was learning from his mistakes.

After all was said and done, I opted to take a nap for like 2-3 hours. I was going to be driving back after the tourney was over and I thought it'd be a good idea to get some rest. Turns out it was a good thing I did...more on that later.

As I was just waking up, I heard an announcement over the PA system:

"We currently have 63 entrants registered for singles. We will be closing registration in 10 minutes. If you have NOT signed up, do so immediately. We will be capping the entrant limit at 64 people. Sign up NOW before it is too late!"

"...Oh ****."

...was the first thing I said. I had no idea I had slept that long...almost right through singles registration. I scrambled out of my sleeping bag to find my wallet and get up to go to the front registration desk. I was hoping I wasn't too late...it would be a HUGE bummer if I drove all this way to not get entered in singles. I get up to the front desk and immediately said that I needed to still enter in singles. The TO looked at me without saying anything...almost giving me a confused look. This made me confused as well...I thought maybe I was too late. Then Meneil came up to me and said that she had already entered me in for singles.

-___-

I asked to confirm with the TO, and we was like, "Yep, you're already in here." I turned to Meneil..."Why didn't you wake me up!? I was seriously freaking out!!" She told me beforehand that she would wake me up in time to register for singles. She said, "But I didn't want to wake you...you looked so comfortable while you were sleeping. I didn't want to disturb you."

...how precious. xD

Alright...now with all that out of the way, we move on to the start of the singles bracket. Since we started a little late, NO pools play would be held. This tournament would be a 64-man bracket, through and through. The neutral stages were set as Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, Pokemon Stadium 1, Delfino Plaza, Castle Siege, and Halberd...9 in total. The first stage to be played on for each set was determined by stage striking.

I played as Ike for EVERY game. :)

Winner's Bracket Round 1
vs. Zeton(Fox)

Game 1:

My first round was against this guy I've never heard of or seen before. Turns out he came with a large group of people from Wichita, Kansas. First game was on Battlefield. I was thinking, "OK, I got this...shouldn't be too hard." Yeah...don't do that. >.> I get two stocked. He had quite the crazy strategies and mindgames...Dair combos, laser camping, reflector stalls, etc. Oh and UpSmash...freaking UpSmash. Anyway, he ***** me pretty good. He sure as hell knows his stuff.

Game 2:

I had to think awhile about where to CP(yes, he banned Pirate Ship). I finally ended up choosing Luigi's Mansion mainly because I could more easily avoid the laser camping, have more control of where my opponent is(I.E. it's more likely to face him on the ground then having him fight from above...the 2nd floor prevents that), and use the high blast zone to my advantage to survive his best KO move more reliably...but not hinder my KO moves as much. I played much better this game. I had some nice prediction kills(Fsmaaaaash) and I had better control over the match as a whole. I also had the benefit of getting to know his playstyle better. I win with one stock, low percent.

Game 3:

My stage ban was FD. He counterpicks Smashville, which is usually the alternative to Final Destination if it's banned...so I guess I made the right choice. Anyway, the game went on. Through a combination of deviating from my normal playstyle and him not changing up his own, I come out victorious with a two-stock win. I was able to catch on to his now predictable approaches and could punish him for it. It made the match go much smoother. Overall, this was an awesome set. Definitely the best Fox player I've ever played.

Winner's Bracket Round 2
vs. ArkiveZero(Link)

Game 1:

Liiiiink! From what I heard, this guy is one of the more notable Link players out there...and I could see why. Fantastic use of projectiles and general camping ability. He sure as hell knows his Link! I believe the first match was on Battlefield. The key to this matchup is to just get in close and stay there. If you can get around the camping game, the match is made much easier. Jab, Jab, Jab, Jab your way to victory! I win with a two-stock.

Game 2:

I banned FD once again...and he counterpicks Smashville. Strange how that seems to work out. Anyway, this match was more of the same, except he used the moving platform to his advantage. This was a closer match than the last, as he used the stage to his advantage. I still come out with the win by one stock. Link's recovery is...so, so bad. >.> You can actually hit them with a dash attack at the edge of the stage and they won't be able to make it back. So sad. :/ I found this out in my earlier friendlies with Legan...the practice really paid off.

Winner's Bracket Round 3
vs. SamuraiPanda(Snake/Olimar)

Game 1:

SammmuuurraaaiiiPaaaaannndddaaaa! Awesome name for an awesome person. I finally got to meet him in person that day and talk with him about random stuff. He's a really cool guy and very smart. I really enjoyed our several conversations we had throughout the day(Brawl stuff, tourney stuff, Smash Lab stuff, etc.). It was nice that we got matched up against each other in the bracket. We played on Battlefield the first game. His Snake was pretty good, but my knowledge of the matchup played heavily in my favor. I two-stocked him relatively easily.

Game 2:

I banned FD once again for the set. He chooses Pokemon Stadium 1 as his counterpick. I didn't know what exactly he was planning...so I just shrugged it off. Then I noticed he chooses Olimar as his character. -__- I knew he played other characters besides Snake, but I had no idea he played Olimar. So the game went on...anyone who was watching the match can tell how easy of a time Olimar has with Ike. >.> Shieldgrab, throw Pikmin, grab, throw more Pikmin, grab...grab... xD It's just an extremely tough matchup. I got him down to one-stock, but I still lost the game. UpSmash is too good.

Game 3:

I had a hard time finding a good counterpick(yes, he banned Pirate Ship). I eventually decided on Luigi's Mansion again. I know what you're all thinking..."WTF WHY THE **** WOULD YOU DO THAT!?" Yeah...hindsight is 20/20. >.> I picked it for the same reasons as the Fox match I had earlier: I could live easier off the top, but still be able to kill him just as easy. Also, the multiple floors make the camping a bit less of an issue. Well, lets just say that I got thrown around and UpSmash comboed A LOT in between the stage...it was NOT fun lol. I still held my own, however. I almost thought I had won a few times near the end(we both had 1 stock, 150%), but the tale of "Michigan DI" is true(it's too good, mind you). He eventually got me in a grab near the edge of the stage...Bthrow...GAME! I lost. It was an incredibly close match. I need a better counterpick next time...like RAINBOW CRUISE(Why didn't I think of that earlier?)!! If I had won, I would have gotten to play Overswarm, which I really wanted to do. But oh well, now I was in the loser's bracket. No big deal, I can still work my way up.

Loser's Bracket Round 4
vs. Nope(Snake)

Game 1-2:

Another person I've never heard of before. Another Snake...no biggie. :p He had a few tricksies up his sleeve, but in general there was nothing much for me to worry about. I two-stocked and one-stocked him in our two games. IIRC we played on Battefield and Lylat Cruise. There really isn't much to say here...just Ike beating up on some Snake. I like fighting against Snake. :D

Loser's Bracket Round 5
vs. Rowan(Peach)

Game 1:

I remember hearing or reading his name somewhere before...but I couldn't quite place it. In any event, he's quite a beast Peach. The best I've played by a mile. The first game was on Battlefield. Crazy low percent Dair combos, once got me to 50ish percent, but I got wise and was able to SDI and jump out of the subsequent Dairs. Mostly he liked to get away, pull a turnip, and mix up his approach with jump, throw, float, aerial...or a glide toss into stuffs. He had excellent DI and momentum canceling as well...he could survive to very high percents...more than I was used to my opponents surviving. In the end, I won this game with one stock.

Game 2:

I forget what I banned...but it didn't really matter. He counterpicked Pokemon Stadium 2. I had very little experience on this stage...so I treated just like PS1. The only thing notable here is that I got a wall infinite on the rock part, but I messed up the timing and he Nair'd before I could regrab...so I missed the kill there. Still, it was a good 50-60% I got on him. I forget exactly how it happened...but it came to the last stock, highish percent and he got the kill first. I lost, one stock.

Game 3:

He banned...PIRATE SHIP. What a loser. :p But yeah, so I counterpicked Corneria. Close blast zones + light opponent = You'll get no sympathy from me!
...sorry I had to...AGAIN
So yeah, I basically had control the whole match. I had one wall infinite and didn't screw it up this time...uptilt kill. But yeah, in the end, light Peach is light. I win the game with one stock, low percent.

Loser's Bracket Round 6
vs. Blood Hawk(Lucario)

Game 1:

This was one of the tournament organizers there. It also turns out he was the guy I was playing friendlies with the day before when no one else showed up. He wasn't using Lucario then...sneaky sneaky. First game was on Lylat Cruise. I could tell he really didn't know the matchup as time went on. That, and I was predicting extremely well. He would always roll right into my Dair/Fair. :D I ended up taking his first two stocks before he killed me once. After that, he started playing much smarter(waiting for me to make a move and punishing me for it...much more often than his first two stock). It also didn't help that he was super powerful by that time lol. He got me down to my last stock...but I killed him shortly after. Game one goes to me, one stock.

Game 2:

I banned FD...ONCE AGAIN. I guess I just didn't want to be camped. He counterpicks Frigate Orpheon. I personally have no beef with the stage, but I can see why he'd counterpick it. He'd just come off a loss from AlphaZealot, and his counterpick was Frigate Orpheon as well. He must know the stage or like the way he handles on it. The match went smoothly for the most part. I was just being my normal self...predicting and punishing. I win the game and the set(I forget if it was a one or two stock, though). He's a great guy and a nice Lucario...he wanted to play me again later that night(I'm guessing to learn the matchup better), but unfortunately we never did. :/ Next time I definitely want to play him again...it was too fun.

Loser's Bracket Round 7
vs. Domo(Metaknight)

Game 1:

The crazy Kansas Metaknight. I heard throughout the tournament of how amazing this guy supposedly is...so I had an idea of what I'd be up against. He had just beat Kel in a Metaknight ditto, and he was looking very slick. So our match started...the first game was on...thinking about it I don't actually remember. xD In any event, the game was close. He is a very smart player and has quick reaction time. He also liked to Tornado...a lot. My main strategy was to keep my spacing with Fair and jabs, which worked very well for the most part. One thing I learned from the game is that Nair, coming from above and falling down, beats Metaknight's Tornado. I used this a few times and it worked out pretty well. He would use DSmash religiously as a form of punishment, which is how it should be used. He also caught me with some FSmashes as I was falling down to the ground(creeping backwards...charging FSmash). I fell for it more than once...which in retrospect is very easy to avoid. In the end, he wins this game with one stock remaining.

Game 2:

"I ban Corneria." *short pause* "I mean Pirate Ship...I ban Pirate Ship." >.> Figures. So what else would I counterpick other than Corneria? :D For the most part the match was on the top of the level. I kept the same strategy as the last game...just keep my spacing. Occasionally I'd try and bait him down to the lower level for you-know-what. :o He liked to do tricksies with shuttle loop and the fin anyway... :p I wish this match was recorded...it was way too good. I think that I teched the fin literally six times in a row at one point in the game. That, and I got the wall infinite off two times...both taking a stock off of him. I ended up winning the game by one stock, low percent. I asked him afterwards if he didn't know that Ike could do the wall infinite, since he on more than one occasion dropped down to me on the lower level. He responded that he knew that I could, but didn't know that the Bthrow comboed into the Fthrow. You learn something new everyday, eh?

Game 3:

I had a BIG decision to make here. What to ban against Metaknight. Meneil and MachinegunNorm happened to be watching behind me. "Coaches! I need coaches!" I said to them, in a half-joking tone. I still wanted to discuss what to ban while Domo was discussing with his Kansas crew. In the end I narrowed it down between Rainbow Cruise and Frigate Orpheon. I thought maybe if he took me to RC, I could surprise him with how well I can handle the stage, since people automatically think Ike sucks there more often than not. But then I thought...well, I can argue the same thing for Frigate Orpheon. I ended up banning Rainbow Cruise. And sure enough, he counterpicked Frigate Orpheon.

The game starts. Within the first 20-30 seconds, he use Tornado near the ledge...BOOM...he gets FSmashed. I'm up a stock with only 11% on me. I'm a little giddy on the inside, but knew I had to stay cool to see the whole match through. The stage flips were of no consequence...nothing happened to hinder me in any way. He was being a little more aggressive this time around, but it was a smart aggressiveness. He paid very close attention to my actions and reacted accordingly. Needless to say this was a very nerve-racking game. I got off an Aetherspike in the middle of the game...hoping I could finish off his stock...but decided not to risk it because...well he's Metaknight. And of course he recovers because...well he's Metaknight. >.> He gets his kills with edgehogging my Aether a lot of the time(Metaknight's ledge roll animation > 100% is very long compared to most characters, so it's quite easy to gimp Aether that way). So it comes down to the last stock for both of us, high-ish percents. I noticed after the fact that I had been becoming predictable with my spotdodging, and he capitalized big time on that. He DSmashes me off the stage...I start to come back and try to Aether back up...he tries to edgehog me but gets caught in the Aether instead! "Yes! I might be able to spike him!" I thought. He SDIs back onto the stage...and to my surprise I MISS THE EDGE. "NO! WTF!?" -__- I could have sworn I should have snapped to the edge...

------------------------------

...but who am I to complain. I just went toe to toe with a freaking crazy Metaknight. I really wish this set was recorded...as it was pretty intense throughout. He later deemed me the "Ike on crack," and he was like..."WHOA! Where the hell did that Ike come from!?" He had seen me play against Blood Hawk before our match, so he also knew what he would be up against. But he was still surprised at how close the set was. So that was that...I get knocked out. 7th place out of 64 entrants. Not too shabby. I was very pleased with my performance and wasn't the least bit upset. Both of the sets I lost were incredibly close, and I STILL got 7th place. Kansas is way too good...I really need to play them again.

After the fact, I stayed to play some more friendlies and money matches. I literally had like 7 people asking me for money matches, and I had no idea who most of them were lol. I was planning on leaving after I got knocked out, since the drive back was going to be rough, but at the same time I really wanted to play with people. xD I ended up playing with Hilt, another Olimar. He was pretty good, but I still 2-0'd him with little trouble. I played a few more money matches...but I forget who some of them were. xD The last one I played was against Lain. He played DDD against me. He won 2-1. He won the first game with one stock, I won the next game with 2 stocks, and he won the last one by one stock again. He's a crazy grab-happy kind of guy...but it was fun and challenging, so I can't complain. That was the only money match I lost.

After friendlies were done, I had to drive back. What would have been a 3 hour drive took more than 4 hours because of the bad weather. I didn't get back home until like 4am...I was tiiirredddd...but the whole experience was fun as ****. I can't wait to travel again and experience it all over again.

Some of the shoutouts I got from people were really nice...I've never gotten so many before. :o

Kirk- WTF Ike? Nice seein' you again and you I will see this weekend =)
kirk: why did u beat me up so bad? f-throw on corneria= too good. and your ike is on crack and needs extreme rehab lol
Kirk: My god you just destroyed people now didn't you?
Kirk: Very nice Ike! Best I've played so far! Good job chain grabbing me against the wall lol.
Kirk - **** good job placing 7th with Ike... Hope to see you in Chicago next week.
Kirk: Beeeeaaaaast. Loving your Ike, man. Your prediction and spacing is spot on, and I've never seen anything quite like it. I felt quite proud I did so well against it while in teams, but we barely got to do anything in friendlies. I'll hit you up for sure next time.
Kirk: Greatest Ike EVER! Hands down. Watching you play made nothing make sense anymore. Even Im not epic enough to be that good with Ike, good to know theres someone out there who is.
Kirk- You fight for your friends. Playing an amazing Ike was an event I had yet to experience. Looking back on the match up, I know what I could have done to make my match a hell of a lot easier. Ike's jabs just destroy and I wasn't making good use of Lucario's options. GGs, you deserved the win. Hope to play you again in the future.
Kirk - WHAT THE ^*@&!!! Because of you, never again will I say the Ike sucks. Way to show everyone that tiers don't mean ****. Make it to NO KOAST man, bring everyone you can! We'll be expecting you!!
------------------------------

So that's that...hope you enjoyed the long read. And if you actually read the whole thing, props to you. I don't know if I could have done it myself. xD

XACE-K

Smash Master
*reads everything*

Kirk, you're a f***ing beast. You gave Ike about 50% of his rankings on Ankoku's list.

Now try to win a big tourney all Ike. :D

Edit: Will there be vids of this?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Wow, that sounds awesome, Kirk. I still can't handle some of the people at Arena51 very well.. They're so tough. (At least, for me)

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Kirk, a little bit of info. For Olimar, ALWAYS CP JUNGLE JAPES. Yes, I know it's bad for Ike, but it's worse for Oly. It completely ***** his recovery.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
So this is what Kirk does on these boards...tournament writeups...

Well lemme do mine.

I went to Cat4.

Got owned by Niko K's Peach.
Got owned by an Olimar player who's name I forgot.

GG 2-0'd

:)

xYz

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1049-0933-6834
kirk is too good.

oh btw in march 2008 i got 5th out of 128 going all ike. and won some other random tournies going all ike i just can't remember its was early last year.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Thanks for the comments guys.

Unfortunately, I don't have any tournament videos. I did get one friendly doubles match(which is up right now) and one weird***, awesome video to come later.

Thanks for the tip about Olimar. I might have to try that for next time. *goes to learn both the Olimar and DDD matchups*

Yes...I need to learn the **** stages. >.> Live and llleeeaarrrnnn. :D

Quiet Arturo! ...........*edited*

Next tourney for me is this Saturday in Chicago. Another series/circuit type event. It's gonna be exciting...and I might have to try out my new video deelie...

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
You should find a tournament that allows Delfino to be a neutral stage Kirk.

I honestly think that it's Ike's best neutral stage. Wall infinities and water spiking FTW.

Just don't take D3 or ICs there....

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
What is with everyone and IC being good in walk offs? It's faster for them to build up damage than to take you all the way across the stage. Plus if your getting hit by there Fsmash then your a noob start mashing out faster.

All the walk offs can be avoided in delfino can be avoided every single with area with these has levels.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Thanks for the comments guys.

Unfortunately, I don't have any tournament videos. I did get one friendly doubles match(which is up right now) and one weird***, awesome video to come later.

Thanks for the tip about Olimar. I might have to try that for next time. *goes to learn both the Olimar and DDD matchups*

Yes...I need to learn the **** stages. >.> Live and llleeeaarrrnnn. :D

Quiet Arturo! ...........*edited*

Next tourney for me is this Saturday in Chicago. Another series/circuit type event. It's gonna be exciting...and I might have to try out my new video deelie...
Meh, just hang on. Your edge will get here tomorrow.

Niko_K

Smash Master
So this is what Kirk does on these boards...tournament writeups...

Well lemme do mine.

I went to Cat4.

Got owned by Niko K's Peach.
Got owned by an Olimar player who's name I forgot.

GG 2-0'd

:)
Cmon man, it wasn't owned. You did Reallllly **** well!

Kirk

Smash Champion

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
Kirk = Pro =]]]

I used to think Ike sucked. Then I saw Kirk play... now I can't say Ike sucks lol
Oh believe me Ike sucks, it's just that Kirk is an amazing guy. When you're amazing you can do amazing things with a bad character if you spend enough time playing with them.:psycho:

Just look at an Ike vs. Olimar. It's dam near the most pathetic thing in the world to watch.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
80-20 on a good day, the entire fight is dumb luck with olimar not shielding something and otherwise waiting for you to do much of anything and beating the crap out of you for it.

KY_Des

Smash Ace
Oh wow. I thought the only 80-20 was the Fox-Pikachu matchup. That IS bad. Well good luck with gettin rid of those AIDS :laugh:

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
I played Blackwaltz in a bunch of friendlies and didn't win a single one with Ike. I had a tournament match with him and I counterpicked Norfair and I was actually gonna win until I nair SD'd. I'd say the only chance to beating Olimar = BIG ^SS STAGE with obstacles.

Who'd have thought Pikmin are pretty friggen obsolete when you can only throw them a couple of feet and the stage is huge and multi-tiered. Counterpick Norfair against Olimar guys, only chance you have.

I'd also say Pirate Ship if it's not banned, Pikmin loooove water lol.

Brinstar also(if it's not banned) , I seem to do pretty well against Starzonedge(NYC Olimar) on that stage usually.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Oh wow. I thought the only 80-20 was the Fox-Pikachu matchup. That IS bad. Well good luck with gettin rid of those AIDS :laugh:
That is 90-10 :laugh:

Olimar is ridiculous... It really is his fault if he loses. All he has to do it grab.. combo.. repeat till Ike loses stock. Its almost impossible to even get Olimar to 100%.

There are people who defy logic... like Kirk.

Edo14

Smash Cadet
it's definitely hard. You could always cp... um o_o. Well brinstar does sound nice but you could always be a jerk a cp frigate like me. I mean I beat Awek a good oli in SD during WGF at BF and PS1 and I won both o_o.
Back to frigate on the beginning the elevator part of the stage = awesomeness for eruptions and dtilt spikes. I always cp people with obvious recoverys with that stage. I mean Ike also has an infinite there when the elevator shifts down. Fthrow ftww.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yesterday's tournament was crazy fun

Yes, I had to go through a lot of tough matchups. The DDD player that wrecked me last tournament, Niko K, JesiahTEG (who had won the local tourneys in Western NY for the past couple months), and even won a set and almost won a second when he came back for Grand Finals against a metaknight player that I never won a set against before.

It was pretty crazy at parts, especially when I had to do crazy crap every match against the metaknight just to win.

Remember, this is the area Kirk used to play at if I remember correctly, so lots of them had pretty decent Ike experience.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Hope this isn't just common sense and me talking about nothing. Better ikes could probably help you with their own MK experience, too.

The character guide really described this well with a spacing match, even if it is a bit out-of-date now. Owna was the type of metaknight player that could really learn mid-set. I had to approach carefully with nairs, and when I was close enough, put in good fairs or even nairs that ended in a retreat. I use attack stick and use aerials with the cstick (especially nair), so that made things easier for me.

Ike does quite well against tornado, because it's pretty easy to hit it with nair (if he's close) or fair (if he's farther away). I was punished a couple times cause I tried to jump back and use fair and got me during the beginning lag, but luckily, Ike could still **try to SDI out of it and get some ground, making it IMO harder for metaknight to use tornado against Ike.

Jabs I had to be really careful with, because like marth, his MK was good at shuttle looping at the right time and getting out, but I think MK is easier to hit with jabs than marth. I risked jab-->up tilt and it worked quite well (don't know how it'll work against other people) always had to mix it up. Every Ike should be pretty good at mixing up their jabs/prediction.

Getting hit offstage is obviously the worst thing that could happen, so I had to be constantly prepared to DI up to prevent gimps as much as I could. I remember when Ussi or someone else posted on how up air was good at preventing gimps near the ledge, and it worked (most of the time). I also had to reverse aether close to the stage almost every time also.

Knocked in the air, dair acted as a sort of wall for me that prevented metaknight from approaching from below too much. If I was hit while Dairing, I hoped at worst that it would clash, and at best would hit and kill at higher percents. Spacing, dodging, and Dair prevented most of the worries of shuttle loop hell.

I remember what Ren said in an earlier topic about up tilt vs glide attack and also tried to use ftilt/powershield to jab or grab. I think I could've used grabs more, but couldn't get an opportunity for myself. I tried a couple times, but I tried to bair the glide attack, too (not too sure). Fsmash is really risky, but worth it if you predict a shuttle loop with little way out for them.

I know all of what I said won't work against all metaknights, but that was just my general strategy, to play a spacing/priority game. In one match, I was so happy I bair'd metaknight out of his shuttle loop right after he initiated it. I did some very lucky/o_O things that surprised me.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
it's definitely hard. You could always cp... um o_o. Well brinstar does sound nice but you could always be a jerk a cp frigate like me. I mean I beat Awek a good oli in SD during WGF at BF and PS1 and I won both o_o.
Back to frigate on the beginning the elevator part of the stage = awesomeness for eruptions and dtilt spikes. I always cp people with obvious recoverys with that stage. I mean Ike also has an infinite there when the elevator shifts down. Fthrow ftww.
Aww that's too bad every Olimar learns that stage better than the back of their hand because they know people are gonna try to CP it against them. After I saw Blackwaltz 3 stock D1's Falco on Frigate I was NOT gonna CP him with that stage. In fact it's not even that bad for Olimar. I mean dam the stage is small as hell which Olimar loves and the only chance you have is at the part where there's no right side ledge and that's pretty situational given the fact that you have to hit him that way or else it's basically a neutral. If he decides to camp you then you're kinda f*cked. I like Frigate as Ike but against Olimar it just seems like Battlefield with a twist...

I personally wouldn't do it but hey to each his own.

Also I would have to advise against CP'ing stages based on the availability of temporary f-throw infinites. For the most part, everyone knows not to get grabbed in that particular area by now and also depending on your situational you might pick a stage that they like. Remember CP'ing isn't exactly about what stage YOU like, it's about what stage they DON'T like and you are at least somewhat comfortable in.

metroid1117

Smash Master
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=219304

san3711 got 2nd out of 30th... he did some amazing stuff on live stream.
Yesterday's tournament was crazy fun

Yes, I had to go through a lot of tough matchups. The DDD player that wrecked me last tournament, Niko K, JesiahTEG (who had won the local tourneys in Western NY for the past couple months), and even won a set and almost won a second when he came back for Grand Finals against a metaknight player that I never won a set against before.

It was pretty crazy at parts, especially when I had to do crazy crap every match against the metaknight just to win.

Remember, this is the area Kirk used to play at if I remember correctly, so lots of them had pretty decent Ike experience.
Great job San, it's excellent to see another Ike besides Kirk placing high in tournaments.

Top Bottom