• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spider-Manfia: (Game Over! Roles Posted)

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Also, it's also a possibility (but a stretch) that he's faking his posting restriction, for reasons really unknown to me right now, but something we may want to explore later days.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
yea...false

i think it's fair to say the "scumhunt" is pretty impossible at this point, and denying this fact is just being naive
I always hear this on D1 and it always pisses me off. Yes, if you pull a lynch out of your *** you're more likely than not to hit town. But that's not to say you can't find scum on D1 (maybe not in the opening minutes of D1, before everyone has posted) and the defeatist attitude only perpetuates the opposite. It may not be easy D1 but it's far from impossible, and if you don't try to scumhunt D1 you're doing yourself a disservice later anyway.

Unvote Vote: KevinM

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Also, it's also a possibility (but a stretch) that he's faking his posting restriction, for reasons really unknown to me right now, but something we may want to explore later days.
As long as you've brought it up, you could conceivably invent a post restriction for the sake of looking pro-town (since how often does mafia get a post restriction?). Marshy did this in a BRoom mafia game (although he was actually town anyway, so go figure).

I don't think Tom is faking a restriction since it is pretty risky (what if you screw it up? cover blown, liar gets lynched) but since you asked, that's a reason you would want to make one up.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
I know it's only been a day but can we prod Kevin, Marshy and tmw?

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Just because it's first day doesn't mean its impossible. There has been some (not a lot) of discussion that can be used for scum hunting, especially since this joke vote phase became serious so quickly with Tom approaching L/2.

No johns on his font, clearly a post restriction.
Too early to call a post restriction. we have to see some of the others posting to determine this

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
It's something that's clearly causing him to post in black, unless he's faking it or just...doing it to be annoying. Though you are right I guess, not good to make an assumption.

Yaya

Smash Champion
Hmm.

A Mafia Executioner? Is that kind of like Lyncher and Lynchee?

Nicholas' wording for his vote is bothering me right now, I'd also appreciate it if he came back and explained in greater detail.

I'm just confused right now.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yaya, an executioner role allows for someone to be killed with half the required votes.

Now, I completely agree with what was said by KK about MBJ's post, I hate when people say you can't scumhunt on d1. It's like saying "Let's throw a dart at the wall with a blindfold on, and hope we hit mafia, and if we just give them a free kill, well we couldn't have done any work for it anyway." Just because it's d1 doesn't mean no one will make mistakes, so don't say there's no way to scumhunt and give up like that.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Here was my reasoning.

Mediocre had raised a point about not speculating on townie's roles, but speculating on those of the Mafia. The reasoning was that if you reveal a townie's role to everyone, then the Mafia gets a nightkill target, where as if you reveal a mafia's role, you're one step closer to winning. (Note: I can see reasons why you might reveal a townie's role... for example, the doctor reveals a cop/vigilante/other townie, and then protects them from mafia to prevent a nightkill in the late-game... but I think that Mediocre still raised a good general guideline.) Handorin then posted

So I was thinking, if we are all bad guys trying to lynch good guys, wouldnt that mean we are mafia lynching town? So...

[Edit: He quoted Mediocre's post here]

So Medi is obviously trying to throw us off and do the wrong thing.

Unvote Vote: Medi
This made no sense at all to me. I tried to explain that the Sinister 17 were the "town" and Spidey's friends were the "mafia" in this game, but again, I did not understand the logic of his response, so I voted for him.

I later unvoted him, since Tom pointed out that his vote for Medi was most likely a joke vote, which meant that his question was likely honest, and not an attempt to confuse the issue.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
it seems pretty clear to me that hando was joking, as we were in like the end stages of our joke vote stage.

He was just really trying to say that "well we can all be mafia that can't talk to each other and the town can.' Either way, we are tryign to get rid of the opposition, so does it matter what we call ourselves? Even if he WAS joking, which I'm pretty sure he was, the logic is still there.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I think the issue with Handorin's post isn't that he was joking (he said the vote was a joke, but the rest was kind of serious), but that he created confusion with semantics. Whether he meant to or not.

Let's all just agree on this. We're bad guys, but we're the town. The mafia isn't just whatever side the bad guys are on, it's the minority that poses a threat to the majority. Don't make this more confusing than it has to be. If some of us start calling ourselves mafia just because we're villains, communication is going to become difficult and we're going to start worrying more about what we are instead of what we're supposed to be doing. We're evil, but we're not scum.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Ya, I was just being confusing on semantics on purpose.

But I also brought up the random possibility that this is a reverse mafia game where mafia is essentially town and we try and find the real town and kill them off. But I'm like 99% sure this isnt true.

MexicanBJ

Smash Journeyman
Ya, I was just being confusing on semantics on purpose.

But I also brought up the random possibility that this is a reverse mafia game where mafia is essentially town and we try and find the real town and kill them off. But I'm like 99% sure this isnt true.
ok, yea i agree it's possible to look into and speculate why you would try to be confusing on purpose

but, actually arguing the "semantics" is pretty irrelevant i think since we all clearly know what the point of the game is; find the "odd ones out" - whatever you wanna call them

also, can someone explain what this "post restriction" is? i've never heard of it? is it just what it sounds? that is, that he MUST post in black for some random reason......lol

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I'm still waiting for Eor to explain what the Freudian slip was.

yea...false

i think it's fair to say the "scumhunt" is pretty impossible at this point, and denying this fact is just being naive
MexicanBJ, how would you define scumhunting? Can you explain to me how *you* scumhunt? Why is it impossible at this point?

Handorin

Smash Hero
There are various types of restrictions a player might have, and one of them is posting.

It seems Tom has to post in black.
or a player might only be able to post a certain amount of times per day.
There is speak of someone having one in TLI mafia, but I wont confirm or deny it at this point.

Basically, just a type of mechanic the GM might put in the game to make it more interesting.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
More interesting, or it could have to do with the persons role, or the persons flavor name like who they are in Spider-man. It could also be done for balance purposes.

MexicanBJ

Smash Journeyman
I'm still waiting for Eor to explain what the Freudian slip was.

MexicanBJ, how would you define scumhunting? Can you explain to me how *you* scumhunt? Why is it impossible at this point?
um, looking at what people say for signs of revealing something about their role (most importantly, the mafia role)

your second question is my point, i find it extremely had to scumhunt at this point but it's so easy to over-analyze anything someone says without any evidence on actions and consistency (since its the first day)

i can see how people would get annoyed at this point of view if they've heard it from someone every game, but this is my second game and i'm simply stating what i find pretty obvious (and yes, it's a "bad attitude" yet nevertheless for the MOST part true)

but i got the message and i wont bring up this futility again

ask for more clarification if needed

MexicanBJ

Smash Journeyman
More interesting, or it could have to do with the persons role, or the persons flavor name like who they are in Spider-man. It could also be done for balance purposes.
ok so at this piont, it seems that everyone (including yourself) kinda agrees that your font is something related to your role? or am i wrong in making that assumption

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Right, and its a process, not just an act. It doesn't get easier to scumhunt as the game goes on, you've just been doing it for a longer period of time. That's a better way to put it. So you can try to pick up on tells of any kinds, not just role-tells: does someone seem like they are trying to coast through and go unnoticed? is someone pushing someone else for no reason? does someone seem to have made a mistake? maybe most importantly, what doesnt make sense?

The most frustrating aspect is when you call someone out on something and they're slow to respond.

MexicanBJ

Smash Journeyman
Right, and its a process, not just an act. It doesn't get easier to scumhunt as the game goes on, you've just been doing it for a longer period of time. That's a better way to put it. So you can try to pick up on tells of any kinds, not just role-tells: does someone seem like they are trying to coast through and go unnoticed? is someone pushing someone else for no reason? does someone seem to have made a mistake? maybe most importantly, what doesnt make sense?

The most frustrating aspect is when you call someone out on something and they're slow to respond.
lol is the last sentence a generality or directed at someone in this game

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I'm sure you can answer that question yourself if you keep up with the things I say!

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
Spider-manfia's version of Phil and HMW right here.

Also at KK: I knew about Marshy in Broom game, I just didn't want it out realy in the open. But since everyone (but Marshy, go figure) has posted, it doesn't really matter now.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
No Good Spidey-Lovers:

junglefever (1): Nothing Rhymes With Circus

Handorin (1): Mediocre

Eor (1): Tom

KevinM (1): Kirby King

With 17 alive, it takes 9 to lynch.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Just posting before I finish reading the last page, some of us have stuff to do guys, just because I haven't posted on the first day in less then 24 hours of the game being up doesn't mean I'm inactive.

More articulated thoughts to come in a few minutes.

Yaya

Smash Champion
I think Tom posting in black is a breadcrumb of some sort, still trying to figure what it could mean, it could be breadcrumbing his character, or something else, I really have no idea right now.

IIRC, Eor said that he was joking around with the Slip, for his next post said, Heh, Just thought it was funny.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Ok so I read through two pages of arguing semantics and then the last page of talking about what seems to be a role restriction.

My question is, why does the role restriction matter

FOS: Anyone who continues to draw attention the the restriction

We're well aware it's there at this point, continuing to point it out or badger Tom about it just seems like some stupid ploy to appear active, and or to try and get him to slip on his role. Ignore it, highlight and read it just like it's regular text.

Also

Vote: Medi

Welcome back Mofo

MexicanBJ

Smash Journeyman
Ok so I read through two pages of arguing semantics and then the last page of talking about what seems to be a role restriction.

My question is, why does the role restriction matter

FOS: Anyone who continues to draw attention the the restriction

We're well aware it's there at this point, continuing to point it out or badger Tom about it just seems like some stupid ploy to appear active, and or to try and get him to slip on his role. Ignore it, highlight and read it just like it's regular text.

Also

Vote: Medi

Welcome back Mofo
noob question: what does fos mean (i get the gist, "stfu" but what does it stand for?)

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
IIRC, Eor said that he was joking around with the Slip, for his next post said, Heh, Just thought it was funny.

Regardless, I don't understand what the joke would be or what the slip is, so I would like Eor to address it and not Yaya. That's what "Eor, can you?" and "@Eor" mean.

Sup Kevmo

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
The problem with so many votes going on Tom isn't just that there could be an executioner, it's that it was during the jokevote phase. If they were real votes, then at least the person executed would be someone suspicious.
@Redcell: is there a problem with Tom getting four/five votes in the jokevote phase? What is the problem with it? If any of the votes are suspicious, which and why?

Do people seriously expect there to be an executioner in this game? It's a scary possibility but its very, very slim. There was one in the most recent BRoom game which is why people now see a problem with being at L/2 fast, but there really isn't a problem. What executioner in his right mind would execute me? He might as well put the rope around his own neck.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I think Tom posting in black is a breadcrumb of some sort, still trying to figure what it could mean, it could be breadcrumbing his character, or something else, I really have no idea right now.
Also, did you read the thread, Yaya? How many people did you count who said the same exact same thing you just did? How many other people pre-emptively told them/you not to discuss it or bring it to light, and yet you did anyway? The main problem being not what you're talking about but that you still talk about it when others have already talked about it / been told not to.

You're skimming now, and you cruised through HP mafia fairly inactive. I think you should make a strong showing in this game, be very active and play very hard.

Redcell, you're a smart guy and a good player but you coast like none other.

Marshy!! Wake up and play the game or we will just replace you!!

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Read my post again, I meant the problem isn't JUST there there could be an executioner, it's that running up the votes on someone during the jokevote phase is worse that during normal voting since the jokevotes aren't even based on suspicion. Aside from the possiblity of an anonymous executioner or similar role, getting several votes during the jokevote phase is fine. And I don't think the possibility of an executioner is negligible, it should be something we watch out for. But I don't think we should spend the game jumping all over people just for making the halfway-vote, people should keep in mind that they can voice their suspicions without voting.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
(Post preview: this is in response to Tom's second post)
Right. If we know he's the executioner. I guess it's assumed we will, but your game notwithstanding, I hadn't assumed that was a guarantee.

Kevin: who in particular are you FOSing? From experience I'm not sure how useful FOSing really is in practice, but whatever use it has in calling attention to specific people is certainly undermined by FOSing no one by name. Unless you don't think the act that prompted the FOS is worth naming names over, in which case why FOS?

Unvote Vote: Marshy

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
No Good Spidey-Lovers:

junglefever (1): Nothing Rhymes With Circus

Handorin (1): Mediocre

Eor (1): Tom

Mediocre (1): KevinM

Marshy (1): Kirby King

With 17, it takes 9 to lynch!

Top Bottom