• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ssbm: bias and help and stuff

Myztek

Smash Ace
I just want to make sure this doesn't become ignored. I think we need to help newbies get started just like this thread is doing, but with everyone. Because honestly, i dont know about other areas, but some areas around where i am arent that welcoming. They are just in their group of friends and smashers. And not purposely, newer players can feel alone, so they leave. Out of the 5 people that I entered the competitive scene with(Last Summer), only 2 stayed. (Me and my friend) Not even because we got treated better, I pushed myself really hard to break in. Overall, I want us to try and get new players in, to stay. But I guess thats what EVO will help us do.
Agreed! We need a much more organized, beginner-friendly guide to help people learn the basic and advanced techniques. I would totally be for contributing to or even making a guide myself.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Why did you randomly drop KK's name at the end of your sentence? Is he supposed to know or is he the reason? I'm guessing the former but I'm not sure why he's the one to know being that he lives a lot more North than they do :p

Twinkles

Smash Lord
I could imagine KK being an integral part of the project

He happens to know a lot about this game

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
I just want to make sure this doesn't become ignored. I think we need to help newbies get started just like this thread is doing, but with everyone. Because honestly, i dont know about other areas, but some areas around where i am arent that welcoming. They are just in their group of friends and smashers. And not purposely, newer players can feel alone, so they leave. Out of the 5 people that I entered the competitive scene with(Last Summer), only 2 stayed. (Me and my friend) Not even because we got treated better, I pushed myself really hard to break in. Overall, I want us to try and get new players in, to stay. But I guess thats what EVO will help us do.
people in general tend to form cliques, it was/is the same with smashers in my general region. until a small crew formed in my immeadiate area going to tournaments was very lonely, by the time that crew had solidified i had begun to lose interest in the game, in favor of Project M (shameless plug).

not to say that i didn't meet friendly people ( a few of which i'm still chill with) but nothing is perfect

EDIT: also a guide would be a good thing to have, Bones is right, i remember KirbyKaze saying som.ething about a guide a while back, somewhere...

:phone:

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
Agreed! We need a much more organized, beginner-friendly guide to help people learn the basic and advanced techniques. I would totally be for contributing to or even making a guide myself.
Yeah I agree I remember when I started and I was all like, "WTH does this mean?" We must either make the forum more organized or make a website newb friendly with everything essential, detailed, clear, and organized like I said earlier at this topic (then again how would people find it). I'll just leave it to you guys to pick which would be more effective.

Yea I think we do need to help out newbies, my school made me feel so alone when it comes to smash (well they always welcome Brawl players, but they just don't welcome Melee or 64), so I almost lost the will to play because of that. Now I feel like we should try to welcome any newbies that come and try out smash because I don't want people to feel like they are the only players in the world. At least I know I'm not the only smasher at my area now.

Atomi

Smash Cadet
at Purdue with a bunch of people, pretty fun so far tbh. learned a lot today

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
at Purdue with a bunch of people, pretty fun so far tbh. learned a lot today
Hope you're maining Fox, Falco, Puff, Marth, Sheik, Falcon, Peach, or Ice Climber's!

lol good to hear man. Maybe I'll be seein you at a Michigan tourny sometime

clowsui

Smash Legend
Purdue!?!

Dude you have one of the best learning environments. SSBO held biweekly, at least monthly. Close to Chicago, a hub of great players. That's AWESOME.

Atomi

Smash Cadet
pretty fun. i definitely will be sticking around for a few. the guys at Purdue were really chill, and i learned a lot this weekend

voorhese

Smash Master
I was at purdue when Atomi came. I'm going to say that Atomi picks up on things SO FAST. The night before the tourney he decided he wanted to either main falco or puff. So I gave him some small pointers and told him about the space animal slayer. I over simplified it by saying it was just upthrow to rest, he tried it within minutes against one of the guys there and it didn't work because they teched a platform. Earlier when going over the basics of teching I told him since he is new he should learn to l-cancel by lightly pressing the trigger (to not put his tech on cool-down). After he missed that rest he looked over at me for input, and I told him I forgot to mention that the teching of platforms would matter, and I have seen hbox jump up with an up air 1st. And he immediately knew why.

The most funny part of that is the during the tourney he got me with with upthrow -> upair -> (I put my tech on cooldown) rest through platform 1st stock! lol

He learns really fast. He was consistently shuffling before he left and could even waveshine.

My crew was joking around that he was probably engaging in an elaborate troll and has been playing for months/years.

KEEP IT UP ATOMI, I'M SURE YOU WILL ENJOY THE COMMUNITY. I WOULDN'T TRADE ANYTHING FOR IT!

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
The most interesting thing is that he never played "noob" smash, so he is a clean slate when it comes to Melee and is coming in with FGC fundamentals.

Bones0

Smash Legend
lol This is awesome. You guys should try and get some vids or a livestream for your next tournament/fest (no pressure on Atomi to be gdlk or anything though).

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
The most interesting thing is that he never played "noob" smash, so he is a clean slate when it comes to Melee and is coming in with FGC fundamentals.
Admittedly we had a lot of habits to break coming in and while I'm surprised at the progress I suppose if you dedicate yourself from the beginning with nothing but knowledge of the competitive playstyle as well as already being used to the mentality and high execution from the FGC..I suppose its possible. Damn, lets get this guy to Apex and see how far he comes by then.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Yes puff is gay. You should consider Falco if it's a choice between those two. You might find someone like falcon or ganondorf easier to pick up tho, and nobody'll complain about those. Even maining peach would be better...

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
All of the good character (and most of the bad ones) are gay in some way, shape, or form, just some are (far) less entertaining than others.
Choose one of the good characters that you enjoy using and more importantly enjoy being good at winning with.

C.SDK

Smash Ace
One day, Falco will be bird food to me.

I absolutely detest that matchup >.<

Bones0

Smash Legend
I have mained Falco since before this community became hypocrites about "no johns" and "play to win." The fact that anyone would try to convince a new player that the character he has chosen is somehow lame and that they should change is absolutely abhorrent. The fact that the complaints are being made against a character with such low representation in the first place just takes it to another level of idiocy. What's ironic is people complain non-stop about spacies, and then as soon as they meet a new player they do everything in their power to persuade them to play spacies. It makes sense 'cause spacies are damn fun to play, but still... What are you thinking?

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Says the Falco main... =P
He's a super secret puff main, doesn't want to admit but we'll get him out of the closet soon :p

@Bones, an over abundance of a character who can be played both aggressively and super campy and yet we as a community say its gay but want everyone to play it. Let's all be Falcon mains so there's nothing to john about.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Those indiana boys know how to make a new comer feel welcome. I actually kind of miss Ben, Oran, nick, and hyonou. Don't believe we've met voorhese, but you seem cool. I didnt really realize how well me and my old crew got along until i moved away. Now I'm forced to smash with people, who to be completely honest, probably don't speak English. Time for manly tears.

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
so much attention for one guy

its like the fgc community are the cool guys in school and one of them decided to hang out with us

please don't main puff
true, conversely though it was cool to see alukard join the FGC and go hard at mvc3. i just feel like it's interesting when someone tries to commit to a game completely different from their main or original game.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
What happens when the two entities are separated?
Choose a different game, or accept that you won't perform well in tournament regardless of how much better you are at the game than your opponents.

clowsui

Smash Legend
@Bones, an over abundance of a character who can be played both aggressively and super campy and yet we as a community say its gay but want everyone to play it. Let's all be Falcon mains so there's nothing to john about.
Falcon is the most boring character in the game next to Puff. Dial-a-combo? Dash dance for days? Easy as **** to combo to death + abuse positional advantage strategies against? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Top Bottom