• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ssbm: bias and help and stuff

Atomi

Smash Cadet
so much attention for one guy

its like the fgc community are the cool guys in school and one of them decided to hang out with us
im ****ing amazing <3

I was at purdue when Atomi came. I'm going to say that Atomi picks up on things SO FAST. The night before the tourney he decided he wanted to either main falco or puff. So I gave him some small pointers and told him about the space animal slayer. I over simplified it by saying it was just upthrow to rest, he tried it within minutes against one of the guys there and it didn't work because they teched a platform. Earlier when going over the basics of teching I told him since he is new he should learn to l-cancel by lightly pressing the trigger (to not put his tech on cool-down). After he missed that rest he looked over at me for input, and I told him I forgot to mention that the teching of platforms would matter, and I have seen hbox jump up with an up air 1st. And he immediately knew why.

The most funny part of that is the during the tourney he got me with with upthrow -> upair -> (I put my tech on cooldown) rest through platform 1st stock! lol

He learns really fast. He was consistently shuffling before he left and could even waveshine.

My crew was joking around that he was probably engaging in an elaborate troll and has been playing for months/years.

KEEP IT UP ATOMI, I'M SURE YOU WILL ENJOY THE COMMUNITY. I WOULDN'T TRADE ANYTHING FOR IT!
but seriously though, i learned so much that first night.

like, the first game i played against someone i remember trying to do Falco's forward tilt with high and low mixups. i just got dashed around and then ***** lol :urg: Little England is a jerk.*

gave me a headache like an hour in, but everyone was really helpful. looking forward to the next 5 months tbh

*he did teach me to do the super wavedash with Samus tho, so he gets cool points for that. still kind of confused at him being surprised at me getting it consistently once i learned it...the timing isnt variable, so i still dont get why?

thanks everyone so far <3

Construct

Smash Journeyman
Not only can he consistently SHFL and waveshine on his first day of playing, he can consistently SWD

I quit

edit: that's crazy how fast you picked that up man, that takes most people month(s). Glad to hear you'll be sticking around for awhile :)

clowsui

Smash Legend
im ****ing amazing <3
*he did teach me to do the super wavedash with Samus tho, so he gets cool points for that. still kind of confused at him being surprised at me getting it consistently once i learned it...the timing isnt variable, so i still dont get why?

thanks everyone so far <3
it's because swd has such a tight window and most maneuvers/confirms in this game don't rely on a tight window (bar marth)

if you're playing puff learn how high low works w her in this game by visualizing her attack + movement vectors. very easy to do in training mode + vs CPUs

if you're playing falco just work on your execution

voorhese

Smash Master
I think he does, his positioning during combos and such is ironically really important even though he has super huge range.

Violence

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9uEVcJdeJ4&feature=related

You have to perfectly measure out 42 frames while given only vague visual cues to do so.

You have quite some talent if you can do it with greater than 50% consistency.

Biglard

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty cool to see you showing interest in the game!

You should go to Apex 2013 and team with Hanky Panky, it would create a pretty big amount of hype.

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
It's pretty cool to see you showing interest in the game!

You should go to Apex 2013 and team with Hanky Panky, it would create a pretty big amount of hype.
this!^

(if you don't know atomi, hanky was an unknown peach from columbus who went to the big house 2, a large regional tourney in michigan, and placed 9th, beating 3-4 top players in the process.)

i'm loving this interaction between melee and the fgc, by the way. now both communities have contributed new players to each other's scenes! :yeahboi:

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
FML I've been playing this game for years and I still screw up SHFFLing all the time. I feel so bad now. I can't waveshine either =[ (at least I don't really play spacies though so it's not like I'm trying and failing there)

Spyro

Smash Ace
That's crazy how you can consistently SHFL and wave-dash after just one day of playing with other people.

I've had this account for over a year and still have not gotten to go to any smash feasts :glare:

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I dont see why people are so worried about making new players better FAST. Just let them learn well and learn correctly, sure it would be nice to have a super guide, but there are already many guides and of course videos and playing are just the best ways to learn. But if some people would like to make a guide who am I to stop them. Thank you for your interest in making this community a better place.

D

Deleted member

I dont see why people are so worried about making new players better FAST. Just let them learn well and learn correctly, sure it would be nice to have a super guide, but there are already many guides and of course videos and playing are just the best ways to learn. But if some people would like to make a guide who am I to stop them. Thank you for your interest in making this community a better place.
I've been working on it for the past month or so. It should be up by christmas, give or take.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Yo, this guy's jiggs is ridiculous for playing for like 10 days.

He landed a sing ledge stall infinite on 2 people at a purdue tournament the other day

:phone:

Atomi

Smash Cadet
Isn't that banned...?
Under stalling...?
i asked Little England and he said it was allowed?

Lance damn it! lol i incorporate everything that you guys tell me. when im there im in absorption mode; i have no filter for sarcasm

so yeah i learned a lot again this time around. i took a few games off of people who crushed me last week, and i definitely learned a lot about my movement. props to Lance for teaching me about ducking under moves :)

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
Nah i think its pretty funny you actually got it off. If you are willing to sing someone for 8 minutes then i'm pretty sure that you got the drive to win XD

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
It's not about drive to win, it's about whether "getting a percent lead and singing someone for 8 minutes" is the skill we want to test to determine who the "better" player is.

But this is neither the time nor place.

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
It's not about drive to win, it's about whether "getting a percent lead and singing someone for 8 minutes" is the skill we want to test to determine who the "better" player is.

But this is neither the time nor place.
I was commenting more on how successful his improvement will be in the future and not the legality of stalling. I don't think it should be legal

NNID
dansalvato
i asked Little England and he said it was allowed?
I believe if it's the other player's fault for falling into it, it's allowed. An example is getting stuck in reflector by shining a rapid-fire Fox laser. I could be wrong, though. I think wobbling is an exception to this rule because "getting grabbed" isn't a big enough mistake of the opponent to constitute a match loss, especially when the stalling player doesn't need to be a stock ahead already.

Beat!

Smash Master
No, it's banned. Same for the reflector example.*

Stalling by wobbling is prevented by the fact that it's only allowed up to a certain percent (usually 300%).

*There are probably some weird TOs that allow it, but most people consider all those examples to fall under the common definition of "stalling".

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Yes I'm glad someone from another gaming community is taking an interest
on the other hand

And I have got to say this, but I find it funny how much attention everyone's given to a guy who hasn't played the game yet when we usually just point newbies in the right direction and lock the thread. I get it, we want to get the word of smash spread but if anything I think this is a good time to reevaluate the info here. He said it himself, he had heard l-cancel 10 times but still didn't know what to do. The stickies here don't exactly have the best information, you have to look else where which causes people to ask and be given the same links redundantly. Can the mods look into this or someone who's been here awhile look into making an updated guide? Is the official everything guide even stickied?
when we usually just point newbies in the right direction and lock the thread.

when the mods usually just point newbies in the right direction and lock the thread.
when the mods lock the thread.

Bones0

Smash Legend
So what happens when Atomi makes it out of pools at Apex? Does that prove Melee is just an awful party fighter that takes no skill?

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
So what happens when Atomi makes it out of pools at Apex? Does that prove Melee is just an awful party fighter that takes no skill?
Right, just like how smashers making it out of pools/getting top 3 in traditional fighters proves that they are party fighters that take no skill.

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
Atomi is the best. I go super tryhard mode on every new player I find and most players quit day 1, yet this guy comes back stronger every time. He's like Vegeta or something lmao.

I've never seen somebody pick up this game from scratch so incredibly fast. Like, super impromptu reverse pound edgeguard type of fast.

voorhese

Smash Master
^ this, i remember when he did that >_< I was like wow, that's some **** i didn't see until hbox invented it, let alone from a new player.

Top Bottom