• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ssbm: bias and help and stuff

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
I like how the SF4 guy is already better at Melee than 95% of the Brawl players.

He's playing Puff though. Somebody tell him to use Mewtwo for a little bit so he can know my pain.

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
Seeing as Brawl players play Brawl and not Melee, I don't see how that could be surprising.

:phone:
I meant the Brawl players that try to cross over to melee and give up because they treat l-canceling as impossible, not the players that just don't play melee at all. lol :_

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
I have a ton of respect for Atomi and it is clear that he is picking up the game and skill much quicker than other players.

With that said, I am very disappointed he is playing puff and definitely attribute part of all this hype to that.

Why? Because puff doesn't require many of the same fundamentals as basically every other character in the game. Clearly she is hard to play at a high level just like every other character, but I'd argue that to get to mid level you can improve with her faster than every other character.

SHFFLing is easier and not even crucial. Same for dashdancing, fastfalling, and many of the other parts of smash that many players take a great deal of time to master and get a handle on. Kills come easier with much easier edgeguarding relative to other characters as well as rest. It's great he's improving quickly, and I am impressed, but I would be much more impressed if it was with any other character.

I speak from experience. King5280 is a local puff main from Mi and he improved faster than anyone else I had ever seen. And I attribute it partially to the character.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I'm very disappointed that people are disappointed that he's playing Jigglypuff. Not an easy character to use at high level by any means.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
lol I disagree. I always found it easier to learn to SH FF and Lcancel with spacies. Their speed just makes it something you do instantly, with puff you sort of have to hesitate and wait for a certain moment or else you do the input early.

She's easier to start with but I'd say at midlevel when people got their techskill down it's harder to learn the mental game and get your spacing/baits/conditioning (which atomi would have)versus shffling which you can practice in your room. At that point it's easy to just run in and steam roll with techskill. It's at a higher level when you start to grasp the mental game and avoiding DD nairs and lasers and such becomes easier.

Puffs easy at a low level, when people are inconsistent, but learning basic techskill isn't something to be proud of. After that you need to start reading or else you'll get punished for literally everything with her speed. I speak from personal experience of actually needing to look for habits to survive.

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
Clearly the over-representation of Puff in tournament brackets such as Genesis and Apex is the basis of such an opinion.

Oh wait.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
I knew my opinion would make people upset. And that people would only pick out parts of my post. Again, I respect Atomi and he clearly is improving faster than most players.
I'm very disappointed that people are disappointed that he's playing Jigglypuff. Not an easy character to use at high level by any means.
Puff isn't similar to other characters in melee. And no character is easy at a high level, agreed. At a mid level at which Atomi is likely at, Puff is almost definitely the easiest though.
Clearly the over-representation of Puff in tournament brackets such as Genesis and Apex is the basis of such an opinion.

Oh wait.

Clearly people in bracket at Apex/Genesis are mid-level.

Oh wait.

@Krisp - Only person who responded who read my entire post/comprehended. Basically I just disagree in the aspect that I think that having consistent tech skill in every aspect is vitally important to spacies. Without it, they are combo'd hard by the rest of the cast. Then to be good, they also need every other technique down pat. With puff, you skip (relative to spacies) many of the tech skill aspects and get to focus on baits/etc right away. Character's can't 0-death puff easily for making one mistake, whereas with spacies they can. Puff you just DI and reset the situation. We won't see eye to eye on this, but I hear what you're saying lol.

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
You are (less) unimpressed by a player's improvement, because you arbitrarily label the character he uses as "easier".

I don't really see what I'm missing here.

Also, if you bothered to read, several smashers said that Atomi was already multi-shining with Falco / SWDing consistently (what the hell) with Samus.

I don't even know why I bother.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Jigglypuff being easier in terms of technicality isn't arbitrary.
Also I don't remember anyone saying he was consistent with those things. I could be wrong though, if you'd care to link me to the post that says consistently.

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
Not exactly disappointed that he's using Puff, it's just that we'd also like him to experience other characters at the level he's probably experiencing Puff at the moment.

Also, come back to ATLF.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Jiggs is a glass cannon. I don't see how controversy can be created over a Trad. FG (at heart) player choosing jiggs. To me at least it makes absolute sense to choose such a character. The zoning learned say in ST (or any game, chose ST because its obvious) would be directly transferable to a character like Jiggs.

And no traditional fighters are not more like Brawl. Ever been knocked down in a corner by Boxer? LOL. One point of many: They (Trad. FG) are unforgiving for mistakes. Brawl is incredibly forgiving.

kd-

Smash Lord
*he did teach me to do the super wavedash with Samus tho, so he gets cool points for that. still kind of confused at him being surprised at me getting it consistently once i learned it...the timing isnt variable, so i still dont get why?
And no traditional fighters are not more like Brawl. Ever been knocked down in a corner by Boxer? LOL. One point of many: They (Trad. FG) are unforgiving for mistakes. Brawl is incredibly forgiving.
Brawl can be really unforgiving at times. Metaknight-IC one mistake by either player and it's a chain grab to death or loss of nana

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Brawl can be really unforgiving at times. Metaknight-IC one mistake by either player and it's a chain grab to death or loss of nana
This is not a Brawl v. Melee thread outside of the context of Melees relation to Trad.FGs [if it can even be related, which I think it can, not entirely but to a larger degree than most want to admit]. And Boxer is not an extraordinary example like the IC MK match up given lol.

I'm not bashing Brawl, I'm dealing with the facts and evidence.

Atomi

Smash Cadet
hey guys

just wanted to give a few responses

Atomi is the best. I go super tryhard mode on every new player I find and most players quit day 1, yet this guy comes back stronger every time. He's like Vegeta or something lmao.

I've never seen somebody pick up this game from scratch so incredibly fast. Like, super impromptu reverse pound edgeguard type of fast.
i was so happy that i finally took a game off of you lol

but thanks for the words of encouragement guys (voorheese, little england, lance), i really appreciate it. ive always learned pretty quickly, but it sucks that i can only get there so rarely

Nintendude1189 said:
Has Atomi tried entering a local tourney yet?
ive entered 2 so far. the first tournament, i lost 2-0 to everyone in my pool lol. in the second one, i took 1 game off of almost everyone i played :)

people said:
Jigglypuff rah rah JIgglypuff rahhhh
lol tbh i thought that Marth, Sheik, and Jigglypuff seemed the easiest to use, but i dont really get why people would argue about something so opinion based. everybody love everybody <3

i play Jigglypuff and Falco. Jigglypuff just suits my mentality so well, and rest is a psycho-good combo finisher. i like Falco because of his laser lol

again, thanks everyone. i cant go to purdue this weekend, but i promise ill be even better the next time i do come up :)

rpotts

Smash Lord
You. I like you. You have a great attitude towards development and progress that few new players have.

Play whichever characters you like, there's no 'right' character to play regardless of which other games you played before.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I have a ton of respect for Atomi and it is clear that he is picking up the game and skill much quicker than other players.

With that said, I am very disappointed he is playing puff and definitely attribute part of all this hype to that.

Why? Because puff doesn't require many of the same fundamentals as basically every other character in the game. Clearly she is hard to play at a high level just like every other character, but I'd argue that to get to mid level you can improve with her faster than every other character.

SHFFLing is easier and not even crucial. Same for dashdancing, fastfalling, and many of the other parts of smash that many players take a great deal of time to master and get a handle on. Kills come easier with much easier edgeguarding relative to other characters as well as rest. It's great he's improving quickly, and I am impressed, but I would be much more impressed if it was with any other character.

I speak from experience. King5280 is a local puff main from Mi and he improved faster than anyone else I had ever seen. And I attribute it partially to the character.

I knew my opinion would make people upset. And that people would only pick out parts of my post. Again, I respect Atomi and he clearly is improving faster than most players.

Puff isn't similar to other characters in melee. And no character is easy at a high level, agreed. At a mid level at which Atomi is likely at, Puff is almost definitely the easiest though.

Clearly people in bracket at Apex/Genesis are mid-level.

Oh wait.

@Krisp - Only person who responded who read my entire post/comprehended. Basically I just disagree in the aspect that I think that having consistent tech skill in every aspect is vitally important to spacies. Without it, they are combo'd hard by the rest of the cast. Then to be good, they also need every other technique down pat. With puff, you skip (relative to spacies) many of the tech skill aspects and get to focus on baits/etc right away. Character's can't 0-death puff easily for making one mistake, whereas with spacies they can. Puff you just DI and reset the situation. We won't see eye to eye on this, but I hear what you're saying lol.
Wow what a little *****

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
lol I'm not *****in about being puff being unfair, or gay, or anything. Just sayin she's easy to pick up and play. Atomi agrees, dono why you guys got in an uproar. It's awesome he's playing melee, period.
lol tbh i thought that Marth, Sheik, and Jigglypuff seemed the easiest to use, but i dont really get why people would argue about something so opinion based. everybody love everybody <3

i play Jigglypuff and Falco. Jigglypuff just suits my mentality so well, and rest is a psycho-good combo finisher. i like Falco because of his laser lol
Those three likely are the easiest until the high level where everyone is difficult, so that is pretty accurate. Keep playing man, hope you can make it to a michigan tourny sometime and we get to play. Hope you're liking the game.
puff is the LEAST of what melee has to offer

i recommend fox or marth
Agreed, but to each his own. Puff will likely get boring and he'll switch to other characters anyway. That's what every puff main I know has done at least

Top Bottom