• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Information Database and Q&A

NNID
Budget_Player
I'm running a tournament, so I can kinda shake things up...

...By having 2 starters more than usual. I'm not touching other stages, not at my first event, and not when the pro-ban sentiment is so ****ing ******** around here.

NNID
Budget_Player
Starter Stages
• Battlefield
• Final Destination
• Lylat Cruise
• Smashville
• Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
• Pokemon Stadium 1
• Castle Siege

Counter-Pick Stages
• Delfino Plaza
• Frigate Orpheon
• Halberd
• Pokémon Stadium 2

It's Germany and I'm not an established TO. Don't judge. The added ones are PS1 and CS, obv.

Tesh

Smash Hero
On a list like that, you will still wind up on a ground stage haha. At least aerial characters can pick their poison in that case.

T-block

B2B TST
Starter Stages
• Battlefield
• Final Destination
• Lylat Cruise
• Smashville
• Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
• Pokemon Stadium 1
• Castle Siege

Counter-Pick Stages
• Delfino Plaza
• Frigate Orpheon
• Halberd
• Pokémon Stadium 2

It's Germany and I'm not an established TO. Don't judge. The added ones are PS1 and CS, obv.
No one's judging, dude. A lot of us are TOs around here, and we realize that compromise is a necessity.

On a list like that, you will still wind up on a ground stage haha. At least aerial characters can pick their poison in that case.
Man, people still talk about this aerial-ground garbage?

It's too much of a simplification, guys.

Yikarur

Smash Master
that aerial-ground-based blabbering is the most bull**** I've ever heard.
how does that even make sense? lol

Tesh

Smash Hero
Meh, you can argue terminology all you want, but the starter list is geared heavily towards giving people any possible edge against Metaknight by buffing ground hugging characters like Falco, Snake, Olimar or ICs.

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
Ground vs. Aerial is a little oversimplistic, but it's undoubtable that Falco, ICs, Olimar, and the like are immensely buffed by "starter lists." This is because too many people think flat = most fair.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Meh, you can argue terminology all you want, but the starter list is geared heavily towards giving people any possible edge against Metaknight by buffing ground hugging characters like Falco, Snake, Olimar or ICs.
the starter list would look EXACTLY the same without MK. Why do people always try to reason everything with MK? -.-

this game is "Ground Based". The advantage an "aerial" character has on a "grounded" character in their terrain is much higher than vice versa.
and something like "aerial stage" doesn't even exist except for something like RC.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Some stages like Castle Siege and Ps2 pretty much need to be starters or they will never be played on. I don't think there are arguments against to put them in starters. BPC managed to make me like ps2. That stage is too awesome.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Honestly the way the starter list is now doesn't bother me so much. I don't think its right, but people will likely wind up on BF/SV/Lylat/Ps1 regardless so I can't say I care much. Unless its a ditto, one character is always gonna want FD/CS gone and one side is gonna want Delfino/halberd wrong.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I struck to FD vs Vinnie's Ice Climbers. Doesn't mean it was a smart move. The stage is so polarizing that I can't think of a matchup where both characters would want it.

I'd like to see you prove me wrong on that tho.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
That is true. There are a few MUs where FD is considered even. I would even say about the same amount or less than in Brinstar. That stage should only be considered a starter with at least a 7 starter list. I use 9 though and I love it.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It's not that people think flat stages provide more even MUs, it's that flat stages provide the least variables outside of character to character combat. They're the stages you have to 'fight' the least.

Yes they favour certain characters, but the fact you're playing 3 stocks with an 8 minute timer favours certain characters, as opposed to things such as item play or stamina mode.

:phone:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Lucario vs. PT
PT strikes YI, PS1, CS
Lucario strikes SV, BF, Lylat
If I ever face a PT, I'd leave Lylat so Ivysaur has a little more trouble recovering.... Just sayin'...
IDK how good are Squirtle or Charizard there, though....

T-block

B2B TST
If I ever face a PT, I'd leave Lylat so Ivysaur has a little more trouble recovering.... Just sayin'...
IDK how good are Squirtle or Charizard there, though....
Nah, Lylat's pretty good for PT. It's absolutely terrible for Charizard against character who can juggle well, but other than that, Ivysaur loves the platform configuration, and her recovery isn't even nerfed on it since it's a tether. Charizard is more likely to be gimped by the tilt than Ivysaur is. Squirtle likes it quite a bit too. It's also a stage that often gives PT lagless switches.

In any case, I don't know Lucario all that well, so my example may have been a little off (those strikes actually happened in a set though, but the other player was just picking up Lucario, so it may not be 100% ideal). However, it still illustrates the point. PT will definitely strike YI and CS. I'd be very surprised if Lucario doesn't strike SV and BF/Lylat. Even if FD isn't the exact median stage, it is still in the middle three.

But isn't it a super polar stage, unfairly geared towards "ground-based" characters? How is it that it can be struck third by two rational players, or even not struck at all? Yeah, if your thinking is "PT is above Lucario on the aerial-ground spectrum... Lucario likes ground stages more than PT does", you would think that PT would strike FD first. However, there is much more to consider than just that.

Yep, this.
That would be mitigated by playing bo7 matches, no? We have deemed one-stock bo7 potentially competitive... why can't bo7 stamina be? Which CGs would become effectively infinite?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I think the main problem with FD is polarization regarding a lot of already top tiers such as Diddy, Snake, Falco, ICs, DDD, etc.
Most characters could go nice on FD, but chances are that you'll be facing one of these chars in a tournament, and no one using a different character from this group and/or half a brain would want to go there against them.

Is basically a "Brinstar/RC syndrome", but not centralized on one character....

C.J.

Smash Master
That would be mitigated by playing bo7 matches, no? We have deemed one-stock bo7 potentially competitive... why can't bo7 stamina be? Which CGs would become effectively infinite?
All of them. Falco's dthrow, Pika's fthrow, pika's dthrow, Marth's fthrow/dthrow on certain characters (I think, not 100% sure), etc etc etc.

If there's a CG that stops working due to the opponent's % getting too high, then it doesn't stop in stamina.

Tesh

Smash Hero
If Knockback doesn't scale the same, its likely that most of the cast would have upthrow/uptilt/dtilt locks forever.

I leave SWF for over 2 weeks, and when I do, I:

-Finish 3 really hard assignments on time, getting 3/3 A's.
-Play the most spectacular show of my life.
-Make ~$200 through band work and doing projects for others in the school's library.
-Buy 2 tickets for an A7X concert and Skyward Sword.
-Write two and a half full songs.
-Discover the meaning of life (really).

SWF can be really counterproductive, I swear.

I never got to recording anything yet.

And yeah, I have nothing to do until Monday, so I came back. It's like a drug. :x

T-block

B2B TST
Man I totally know what you're talking about. Whenever SWF goes down I'm actually really happy x.x

What's become of us...

what is the meaning of life btw

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I do a lot because of SWF, lol, it adds some meaning to my life in a way.

Though outside of it, I really should be looking for a job to replace my current one.

Man I totally know what you're talking about. Whenever SWF goes down I'm actually really happy x.x

What's become of us...

what is the meaning of life btw
to exist and do stuff :awesome:

okay so i haven't really found the meaning to life as a whole, but i was able to find a deeper meaning and purpose in my life.

Top Bottom