• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Information Database and Q&A

Ghostbone

Smash Master
I know it's "Halberd" in PAL.
(Aren't stage names in ALLCAPS in NTSC? So really it should be "HALBERD" if they want to be correct like they're trying to be)

Tesh

Smash Hero
^ nice, lets be sure to spew any kind of relevant or irrelevant info about each stage.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Okay, I just imagined something evil.

-20-21~ Stagelist
-1 ban after losing
-No stage can be chosen more than once per set
-MLG Bracket System

Basically, forcing a wide variety of stages.
Thoughts?

sunshade

Smash Ace
Okay, I just imagined something evil.

-20-21~ Stagelist
-1 ban after losing
-No stage can be chosen more than once per set
-MLG Bracket System

Basically, forcing a wide variety of stages.
Thoughts?
Just go all out and have every stage legal, full stage list striking, no stage counterpicking, and laugh as it ends up on smashville everymatch even when players strike it out.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
We have a Pikachu main who loves to play on "neutral" stages all the time, so I make him rage by striking BF and SV every set.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Is there a way to control where a player starts off on a stage in the beginning of the match?

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
What do you guys think of the advantages and disadvantages that certain (I don't know, I guess I'll call them asymmetrical) stages give to characters at the beginning of the match? I only really have a problem when these stages start characters on different parts of the stage (one on a platform and one on the ground or one on obviously higher ground than the other). I think It's a big deal and in certain MUs, It gives the character who starts of below the opponent the advantage.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
You can't change it, so what exactly are you suggesting here?

Yeah, it would be nice if everything was symmetric, Frigate is the one that immediately comes to my mind, but we can't always have nice things.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I don't know. Not enough testing has been done on these stages so I don't know how much of a problem this can be.

sunshade

Smash Ace
I think brawl is a poorly created fighting game and that we simply have to accept that some things will be influenced by chance for no justifiable reason. Brawl is essentially a gambling mans fighting game.

C.J.

Smash Master
You can't change it, so what exactly are you suggesting here?

Yeah, it would be nice if everything was symmetric, Frigate is the one that immediately comes to my mind, but we can't always have nice things.
Castle Siege too.

I always start on the right =(

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I think brawl is a poorly created fighting game and that we simply have to accept that some things will be influenced by chance for no justifiable reason. Brawl is essentially a gambling mans fighting game.
But this is something that does not have to be accepted since we have the choice to ban those stages. I'm not saying that they should get banned for that reason, I'm just saying we have the option

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
> Jebus getting smacked for various other stage arguments
> I know let's argue spawn points to be taken seriously again

Jebus for best poster.

sunshade

Smash Ace
But this is something that does not have to be accepted since we have the choice to ban those stages. I'm not saying that they should get banned for that reason, I'm just saying we have the option
Banning is acceptable only in a casual environment. Choosing to simply remove things we don't like is akin to saying you cannot throw in street fighter.

> Jebus getting smacked for various other stage arguments
> I know let's argue spawn points to be taken seriously again

Jebus for best poster.
Oh lay off. Jebus could say something that was verbatim fact and I could spout a lie and you would accept my statement first.

sunshade

Smash Ace
No it's not. We ban items and stages all the time
Items are not banned, they are turned off. Its the same as how we don't ban coin mode we simply toggle it off.

Our stage system is monstrously flawed and it would be incredibly simple to create a system which bans no stages and still allows competitive play.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Items are not banned, they are turned off. Its the same as how we don't ban coin mode we simply toggle it off.

Our stage system is monstrously flawed and it would be incredibly simple to create a system which bans no stages and still allows competitive play.
And how would we do this without having players getting counter picked to Temple and getting circle camped?

sunshade

Smash Ace
And how would we do this without having players getting counter picked to Temple and getting circle camped?
Full legal stage list striking, and the removal of counter picking stages. Instead you optionally counter pick a character then restrike stages if you changed characters otherwise play the previous stage struck to.

This way we always play on the median of bias and retain the natural stage balance of brawl without having to deal with extra polar stages.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
What if it gets striked down to a stage like temple or any other stage with a cave of live? Also, the stage list has the choice to turn them off so I don't see how it is any different than the items (other than the fact that one has to be on at all times)

sunshade

Smash Ace
What if it gets striked down to a stage like temple or any other stage with a cave of live? Also, the stage list has the choice to turn them off so I don't see how it is any different than the items (other than the fact that one has to be on at all times)
No match-up (assuming the players know anything about stages) will end up on a stage with a circle or cave of life. The stage list also has no turn off function, it has a toggle feature for which stages will appear if random selection was used.

There is no default stage in the game which is why we are forced to create a system to select the stage. By striking from the entire list we are choosing to play on the median of bias which is the most fair stage for any match-up.

Using the system I outlined we are banning no stages, toggling items/modes (which is not banning), and retaining the games natural balance.

Our current system mandates that we ban stages due to it having a variety of unneeded illogical cameos to past smash policy.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
No match-up (assuming the players know anything about stages) will end up on a stage with a circle or cave of life.
The problem with your rule though is that even though it shouldn't happen, it could happen. Also, what are you talking about? The stages can be turned off. Just go to random stage switch

The problem with your rule though is that even though it shouldn't happen, it could happen. Also, what are you talking about? The stages can be turned off. Just go to random stage switch
You can turn off a stage in the random stage switch menu, but you can't turn off a stage in the stage selection screen. If you were to toggle Pictochat off in the random stage switch menu, you could still pick Pictochat in the character selection screen, meaning that Pictochat was never really off in the first place.

sunshade

Smash Ace
You could also say that final destination should be banned because people may forget the stage has no platforms and attempt to jump onto said platforms and then die.

It shouldn't happen, but it could happen.

And as I said the stage switch does not turn stages off, it removes them from random selection.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
You could also say that final destination should be banned because people may forget the stage has no platforms and attempt to jump onto said platforms and then die.

It shouldn't happen, but it could happen.

And as I said the stage switch does not turn stages off, it removes them from random selection.
How would you even ban the stages? If I was going to use your stage striking system, I would never strike stages that should obviously be banned (walk offs, caves of live) since my opponent is most likely going to waste his bans on them. Why would any smart player waste his bans on those stages?

Take note that sunshade is arguing for a full LEGAL stage list strike, not a full stage list strike.

I don't think there are any stages that have permanent walk-offs or caves of life that are normally legal anymore.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Take note that sunshade is arguing for a full LEGAL stage list strike, not a full stage list strike.

I don't think there are any stages that have permanent walk-offs or caves of life that are normally legal anymore.
No, he's talking about a full stage strike list or else what he is saying about our current stage list wouldn't make sense

sunshade

Smash Ace
How would you even ban the stages? If I was going to use your stage striking system, I would never strike stages that should obviously be banned (walk offs, caves of live) since my opponent is most likely going to waste his bans on them. Why would any smart player waste his bans on those stages?
If your character has a disadvantage on one of those banned stages you should ban it because a smart opponent won't.

Pretend your playing bowser and I am playing sonic. You can choose not to ban temple, thats fine by me, but it won't do you any good and will infact give me a nearly 100-0 match-up.

I might have miss typed earlier but I am talking about full list striking.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
If your character has a disadvantage on one of those banned stages you should ban it because a smart opponent won't.

Pretend your playing bowser and I am playing sonic. You can choose not to ban temple, thats fine by me, but it won't do you any good and will infact give me a nearly 100-0 match-up.
What about the ditto? Basically, first player to get the hit wins.

sunshade

Smash Ace
What about the ditto? Basically, first player to get the hit wins.
If its a ditto then its going to be 50/50 anyways and the stage selection is entirely preferential. If you feel like you have a higher likely hood of winning on temple instead of SV then by all means don't strike it. Its a fair match-up either way.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
If its a ditto then its going to be 50/50 anyways and the stage selection is entirely preferential. If you feel like you have a higher likely hood of winning on temple instead of SV then by all means don't strike it. Its a fair match-up either way.
That's not how it is in those stages though. Usually it's first player to get the hit wins. That's why those stages are banned.

sunshade

Smash Ace
That's not how it is in those stages though. Usually it's first player to get the hit wins. That's why those stages are banned.
And if you don't think you can win given that scenario you can use one of your twentish strikes. Also its a ditto match and it is inherently neutral.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
And if you don't think you can win given that scenario you can use one of your twentish strikes. Also its a ditto match and it is inherently neutral.
But the stages shouldn't be legal if all you have to do is hit your opponent once to win.

Top Bottom