• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Information Database and Q&A

sunshade

Smash Ace
But the stages shouldn't be legal if all you have to do is hit your opponent once to win.
Then don't play on those stages. In non ditto match-ups those stages almost always give massive advantage and will get struck as a result. In ditto match ups its all preference and if you don't think that the stage should be played on or it is not a stage you can win on you can strike it.

Either way the stages which should not be played on won't.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Then don't play on those stages. In non ditto match-ups those stages almost always give massive advantage and will get struck as a result. In ditto match ups its all preference and if you don't think that the stage should be played on or it is not a stage you can win on you can strike it.

It's not a bad idea. You should make a thread and see what other people think

sunshade

Smash Ace
It's not a bad idea. You should make a thread and see what other people think
I don't care for large threads and I don't play in tournament anymore due to work so I have little advantage to doing so, but someone like twinkie, bpc, grim, or ghostbone (hint hints) should jump on that idea.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Not true. Not only do the ideas of what stages 'should not be played on' vary amongst top players and experienced players, but players that are completely new to the scene will have almost no idea why stages like Temple and BoE are bad. So if 2 inexperienced players play against each other, they could end up practically anywhere. Or, if an inexperienced player plays a higher level player, they may end up on a stage best suited for the higher-level player's character (Sonic on Temple, Falco on BoE, etc)

sunshade

Smash Ace
Not true. Not only do the ideas of what stages 'should not be played on' vary amongst top players and experienced players, but players that are completely new to the scene will have almost no idea why stages like Temple and BoE are bad. So if 2 inexperienced players play against each other, they could end up practically anywhere. Or, if an inexperienced player plays a higher level player, they may end up on a stage best suited for the higher-level player's character (Sonic on Temple, Falco on BoE, etc)
I understand that "should" is the wrong word but I was not trying to convince someone who agreed with me to agree with me more. I was using language that would get the message across at the sacrifice of being slightly inaccurate.

If I was to make a larger post I would never use the phrasing I used but different purposes require different methods.

But in my own defense Temple/BoE/New Pork/ETC should nearly never be played assuming proper striking.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I skipped alot of this cuz I think its dumb, but what are you getting at Sunshade? The game has over 40 stages and less than 15 that are generally accepted by the community.

Now lets say you and I are playing Sunshade. I pick Sonic.

so pick a character and strike with me.
42 stages (?) and we each get 20(21?) strikes or something, my point probably only needs like 20.
Blue are my strikes

Battlefield
Final Destination
Delfino Plaza
Mushroomy Kingom
Mario Circuit
Rumble Falls
Bridge of Eldin
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2

Port Town Aero Dive
Castle Siege
Wario Ware
Distant Planet
Smashville
New Pork City
Summit
Skyworld
Pictochat
Shadow Moses Island
Temple
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Onett
Corneria
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar

Luigi's Mansion
Pirate Ship
Spear Pillar
75m
Mario Bros
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Green Greens
Big Blue
Pokemon Stadium

I struck 14 stages (unity+pictochat), so strike 14 (put them in red) after you pick a character (this will probably be irrelevant unless you pick MK) and lets see how this goes.

sunshade

Smash Ace
I skipped alot of this cuz I think its dumb, but what are you getting at Sunshade? The game has over 40 stages and less than 15 that are generally accepted by the community.

Now lets say you and I are playing Sunshade. I pick Sonic.

so pick a character and strike with me.
42 stages (?) and we each get 20(21?) strikes or something, my point probably only needs like 20.
Blue are my strikes

Battlefield
Final Destination
Delfino Plaza
Mushroomy Kingom
Mario Circuit
Rumble Falls
Bridge of Eldin
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2

Port Town Aero Dive
Castle Siege
Wario Ware
Distant Planet
Smashville
New Pork City
Summit
Skyworld
Pictochat
Shadow Moses Island
Temple
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Onett
Corneria
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar

Luigi's Mansion
Pirate Ship
Spear Pillar
75m
Mario Bros
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Green Greens
Big Blue
Pokemon Stadium

I struck 14 stages (unity+pictochat), so strike 14 (put them in red) after you pick a character (this will probably be irrelevant unless you pick MK) and lets see how this goes.
I pick metaknight (if you want I can choose to assume metaknight is banned and strike using someone else). I feel metaknight soildly wins on all of the stages left but thats mostly because I think he is a better circle camper than sonic.

Okay here is a second list of struck stages assuming I am using falco. Just in case we are assuming metaknight is banned.

Battlefield
Final Destination
Delfino Plaza
Mushroomy Kingom
Mario Circuit
Rumble Falls
Bridge of Eldin
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2

Port Town Aero Dive
Castle Siege
Wario Ware
Distant Planet
Smashville
New Pork City
Summit
Skyworld
Pictochat
Shadow Moses Island
Temple
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Onett
Corneria
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar

Luigi's Mansion
Pirate Ship
Spear Pillar
75m
Mario Bros
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Green Greens
Big Blue
Pokemon Stadium

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'm surprised you ditched shadow moses and Flat Zone

Rumble Falls
Norfair
Big Blue
Jungle Japes
Hanenbow
Spear Pillar
75m
Luigi's Mansion
Corneria
Temple
Skyworld
Distant Planet
PTAD

Superior airspeed, ground speed and vertical rise. I feel like sonic could catch and chip away at MK (or have a shot at it at least) on these levels, but I think there is little chance for MK to catch up with Sonic if he doesn't trip (i would spindash mostly anyway). You might be able to catch me with tornado on some of these stages, but all that would do is force me to shield since you would never be able to get any shield pressure.

sunshade

Smash Ace
I would take it to rumble falls, if I invest more time in the sonic/mk match-up on circle stall stages I may change my mind for future strikes.

I do however know that rumble falls is a sick stage for metaknight.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Dang really? I thought for sure you would want Norfair, where the lava might force situations where I might need to risk hits.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Rumble falls is better for Sonic than MK.

It's basically got a "dynamic circle" so Sonic can circle camp for most of it...
MK probably still wins the MU there though.

Edit: Also if you're going to do full stage list striking, you still need to ban stages that are banned for reasons other than balance, and you should treat MK 1-1 and MK 1-2 as different stages.

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
If you ban Warioware (which is banned for non-balance reasons), then you would have an odd number again...

But fssing is inferior to flssing... If the stage is game-breaking, there should be no reason to play there (barring gentleman's clause), but the "starter" and "counterpick" designations do more harm than good.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
If you ban Warioware (which is banned for non-balance reasons), then you would have an odd number again...

But fssing is inferior to flssing... If the stage is game-breaking, there should be no reason to play there (barring gentleman's clause), but the "starter" and "counterpick" designations do more harm than good.
If you ban that stage, then why not ban every other broken stage?

Tesh

Smash Hero
If you were being extremely liberal, I'd say only some circle stall stages would have a shot at staying. Summit, Hanenbow and Norfair imo are okay in alot of matchups because "similar" mobility is enough to catch your opponent.

sunshade

Smash Ace
Unless there is some way to influence which version of mushroom kingdom spawns its simply a random element in the same way pictochat is random.

Also I reject randomness as a reason to ban a stage. Randomness is simply something we have to accept in the same way we accept that you can be grabbed in the air.

As for selecting rumble falls, I have never been able to make use of the "dynamic circle" and have it actually work. Linkshot did tons of testing on the stage and he said it does not exist, I tried using the stage alot and it did not work, but aerial characters simply beast on that stage.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Unless there is some way to influence which version of mushroom kingdom spawns its simply a random element in the same way pictochat is random.

Also I reject randomness as a reason to ban a stage. Randomness is simply something we have to accept in the same way we accept that you can be grabbed in the air.

As for selecting rumble falls, I have never been able to make use of the "dynamic circle" and have it actually work. Linkshot did tons of testing on the stage and he said it does not exist, I tried using the stage alot and it did not work, but aerial characters simply beast on that stage.
There is a way to choose the Mushroomy Kingdom stages. You have to press X or Y for one stage and L or R for the other

sunshade

Smash Ace
There is a way to choose the Mushroomy Kingdom stages. You have to press X or Y for one stage and L or R for the other
I never knew that. Do you know what happens if people input conflicting button presses? (one player presses L or R and the other player presses X or Y)

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I never knew that. Do you know what happens if people input conflicting button presses? (one player presses L or R and the other player presses X or Y)
I'm not sure what happens if they do that. But what happens if one player wants to ban 1-2 but not 1-1?

sunshade

Smash Ace
I'm not sure what happens if they do that. But what happens if one player wants to ban 1-2 but not 1-1?
They simply have to choose ban both since there is only one stage (it just happens to have a randomly generated layout)*. Its the same as how pictochat won't cycle through every transformation but you can't choose to ban pictochat + whale transformation, you simply choose to ban pictochat.

*Presuming that if there are conflicting inputs its a 50/50. Either way though its a random element of a massive scale.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
but it's not random at all. 1-1 and 1-2 can be chosen and are two completely different stages.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Ban Wario Ware, Pictochat and Green Greens (for randomness obviously), pretend 1-1 and 1-2 are separate stages, bam 39 stages to strike from.

T-block

B2B TST
If you both pick characters before striking, you can probably leave the whole list legal, regardless of circle camping. It just forces the character who is more scared of the circle to strike those stages, which isn't inherently unfair. If you want to stress that circle camping is not a skill we wish to test, then you could justify removing them still, but it's actually not necessary for competition.

Removing excessive randomness like Wario Ware has a case.

Here's a thought though: it's not completely obvious that you need an odd number of stages to strike. If you have an even number, have one player get less strikes but make his strikes closer towards the end.

sunshade

Smash Ace
but it's not random at all. 1-1 and 1-2 can be chosen and are two completely different stages.
I have not tested it yet but I have a hunch that if players input conflicting inputs for the stage then it will be random.

Ban Wario Ware, Pictochat and Green Greens (for randomness obviously), pretend 1-1 and 1-2 are separate stages, bam 39 stages to strike from.
Or we can keep everything legal and take note of the fact that 1-1 and 1-2 are not separate stages.

Circle camping does far more to destroy competition than Warioware could even hope.
This, and circle camping does not even destroy competition when you use full list striking.

sunshade

Smash Ace
How are they not separate stages? Are Shiek and Zelda not separate characters?
Zelda and shiek are not seperate characters they are a single character in the same sense pokemon trainer is a single character. You may be able to select one form and ignore the others but it is still one larger collection of tools should you choose to use it or not.

Mushroomy kingdom is the same way. We may be able to influence the version that is selected but it is only one stage.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Zelda and shiek are not seperate characters they are a single character in the same sense pokemon trainer is a single character. You may be able to select one form and ignore the others but it is still one larger collection of tools should you choose to use it or not.

Mushroomy kingdom is the same way. We may be able to influence the version that is selected but it is only one stage.
I meant to say Samus and ZSS (You can't go back to Samus once you turn to ZSS without the Smash ball)

Tesh

Smash Hero
Circle camping is just a fundamental problem in almost every non-ditto matchup (and sort of in every ditto too i guess). The nature of circle camping means those stages will never be the median of bias in any matchup. When you have a stage that will always be removed in every matchup, every time, that pretty much means it can't be fair right?

sunshade

Smash Ace
I meant to say Samus and ZSS (You can't go back to Samus once you turn to ZSS without the Smash ball)
They are also one character. We have removed the player's ability to alternate between the two at will during a match but they are still a single character.

Circle camping is just a fundamental problem in almost every non-ditto matchup (and sort of in every ditto too i guess). The nature of circle camping means those stages will never be the median of bias in any matchup. When you have a stage that will always be removed in every matchup, every time, that pretty much means it can't be fair right?
It is fair in the sense that by banning circle stages we are changing what the median of bias is.

Lets say fox beats snake on 6 stages and snake beats fox on 5. 2 of the stages fox wins on, are the product of him being able to circle snake on those stages. To remove those 2 stages we are altering the median of bias into snakes favor and ignoring fox's natural advantages gained via his speed and ability to circle well.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
They are not a single character. If they were, they wouldn't have different attacks, match ups and different spots on the tier list

sunshade

Smash Ace
They are not a single character. If they were, they wouldn't have different attacks and match ups
They are one character who has the ability to switch between two different move sets/sprites. We create different match-ups since the different movesets play differently and many people choose to ignore the weaker set over the stronger.

Tesh

Smash Hero
They are also one character. We have removed the player's ability to alternate between the two at will during a match but they are still a single character.

It is fair in the sense that by banning circle stages we are changing what the median of bias is.

Lets say fox beats snake on 6 stages and snake beats fox on 5. 2 of the stages fox wins on, are the product of him being able to circle snake on those stages. To remove those 2 stages we are altering the median of bias into snakes favor and ignoring fox's natural advantages gained via his speed and ability to circle well.
Thats different. Thats one matchup. I'm talking about stages that are never fair.

2 competitive players of 2 different characters would NEVER strike to a hardcore circle camp stage like Temple Hyrule because it breaks every matchup down to "if Character A gets the lead, he wins, but if Character B gets the lead, keep playing like normal", which is far more degenerate than walkoff camping because it gives everyone a fair shot at breaking the game.

obviously this doesn't apply to circle like summit where DDD and Ganondorf would both be able to catch each other.

Sonic vs Ganondorf on Temple Hyrule isn't the same as MK vs Ganondorf on Rainbow Cruise. There are matchups where people might wanna go RC game 1, but there is no matchup where 2 players would strike to Hyrule, because a slight difference in mobility turns into a game breaking advantage all the time.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
They are one character who has the ability to switch between two different move sets/sprites. We create different match-ups since the different movesets play differently and many people choose to ignore the weaker set over the stronger.
Ok, but we get to choose what character of the two or three we want to use. Why can't we do the same for this stage?

sunshade

Smash Ace
Thats different. Thats one matchup. I'm talking about stages that are never fair.
Stages have no level of fairness outside of match-ups much like how match-ups don't exist outside of stages. It applies to every match-up in which a character is better capable of circling than the opponent.

2 competitive players of 2 different characters would NEVER strike to a hardcore circle camp stage like Temple Hyrule because it breaks every matchup down to "if Character A gets the lead, he wins, but if Character B gets the lead, keep playing like normal", which is far more degenerate than walkoff camping because it gives everyone a fair shot at breaking the game.
Simply because an option should never be taken does not mean it should not exist or we should use it as an excuse to alter game balance for many characters.

You should never choose to counterpick yourself to a bad stage but that does not mean we should forbid players from making such choices.

Ok, but we get to choose what character of the two or three we want to use. Why can't we do the same for this stage?
That is correct and players will choose which version to play on via the button inputs you mentioned. If one version happens to always out prioritize the other than that version will see more selection, or if a port slot decides than the port slot rule will decide which version gets picked, or if it is random then the version selected will be random.

Imagine if you choose to do character striking with someone for whatever reason. You wouldn't strike each individual pokemon trainer monster you would simply strike pokemon trainer. Same concept applies.

Top Bottom