• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium

List of SWF SC2 players
Sign your player info here!

SWFSL April 2011 Results
1: Roman (+101)
2: Sion (+51)
3: Cynan Machae (+26)
3: TheYoster (+26)
5: Zone (+14)
5: Kenrawr (+14)
5: M@v
5: Nasty_Nate (+14)
9: Werekill
9: vrud
9: S.O.L.I.D.
9: Sveet

SWFSL March 2011 Results
1: Nashun (+101)
2: Cynan Machae (+51)
3: TheYoster (+26)
3: Nasty_Nate (+26)
5: AltF4 (+14)
5: Sveet (+14)
5: vrud (+14)
5: Roman. (+14)
9: rhan
9: Werekill
9: ArcNatural
9: S.O.L.I.D.

Fall Tournament Placings
1: Cynan Machae
2: shanus
3: Kenrawr
4: Ankoku - 348 Platinum
5: Twig - 564 Diamond
6: M@v - 1761 Diamond
7: Oh. - 710 Diamond
7: EnigmaticCam - 1742 Diamond
9: rhan - 727 Diamond
9: ArcNatural - 1682 Gold
9: Sensei Hanzo - 451 Silver
9: SCOTU - 1377 Silver
13: Pakman - 1748 Platinum
13: Matt07 - 340 Bronze
13: S.O.L.I.D. - 627 Silver
13: HeroMystic - 1837 Platinum

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
http://kotaku.com/gaming/starcraft-2-for-the-win/its-official-starcraft-2-on-the-way-261835.php

We've waited a long time, but here it is; the sequel to what is considered by many to be the best RTS ever created.

Post to be edited with new information as it surfaces.

[Edit:]

http://pc.ign.com/articles/788/788627p1.html

Live blogging from IGN. Starcraft 2 talk starts at 3.
I've never played Starcraft, but I do like RTS'. When did the first one come out=??? (year) This definitely sounds intresting though, since Blizzard's never made a great game (sarcasm)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The original SC was released in 1998.
I searched it up and looked it up on Wiki and SC I looks pretty sick. Lots of awards and everything...I see why you all are excited. I'll definitely pay attention to SC II news, looks very intresting. Strange, I like RTS, and I've never heard of this one, the one many people consider the best RTS ever made. The game sold around 9 million units, it must be good. I'll definitely keep an eye on how SC II develops. Lol, SC has sooo many awards, how have I not heard of this...

Dibs

Smash Lord
This is a dream come true. Probably the most anticipated game for the past 8 years of my life is finally here.

BooThunder

Smash Journeyman
This is a dream come true. Probably the most anticipated game for the past 8 years of my life is finally here.
dibs you look like an old man when you say that because of your avatar and like ive spent my whole darn life waitin for this game an now im old

Sensai

Smash Master
Isn't it funny how when I was 13 I used to sneak outta my room to watch HBO and stuff in the kitchen when now, at age 18, I'm sneaking out to borrow my dad's laptop to edit/update/browse for news?

Man...weird how things change.

Thanks Impish, I'll be adding those to the first post.

[Edit:]

Guys, I need to know your preference: should I update the first post with all the menial information (i.e., Starcraft unit X is returning) and keep the first page about as information filled as possible, or just leave it to the basics (such as what it has now and any other huge news)?

Basically, do we wanna pine over screens and say 'ok, Battlecruisers are returning' or should we just save it for bigger things?

Sensai

Smash Master
For any of you still awake (my god why are we still awake?), I've updated the original post with a video of gameplay. Check it out.

Still waiting for an answer to my question:

Guys, I need to know your preference: should I update the first post with all the menial information (i.e., Starcraft unit X is returning) and keep the first page about as information filled as possible, or just leave it to the basics (such as what it has now and any other huge news)?

Basically, do we wanna pine over screens and say 'ok, Battlecruisers are returning' or should we just save it for bigger things?
And I think I am going to sleep. I'll give it 5 more minutes or so, but then I am out to sleep.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I got Starcraft the day it came out. I think it was the only game that I put over 200 hours into no including level editing and campaign creation. Brood War just extended that. Once World of Warcraft was announced, I saw that as the end of a chance at playing Starcraft 2. This game has SO much hype to live up to, that I really am not sure whether to be excited or skeptical. But, I am buying it the day it comes out.

Strider.Mars

Smash Rookie
Sensai, you said that the 100 unit max was no longer in effect, but I thought that the unit max was always 200??

cF=)

Smash Lord
Everybody should go see the gameplay trailer @ Starcraft2.com because, while the one displayed on Youtube seemed in fast speed, the one on their website looks more in fastest. So don't worry hardcore fans, the game speed won't change because it's in 3D !

Like CK, I bought the game the day it came out (later, the expansion) and it gave me much for my money. This sequel looks tremendously fantastic, but I'm saddened by the fact my computer won't be able to run this.

This, was my post in an epic thread.

Zane Fleia

Smash Journeyman
This. Makes. Me. Happy. I LOVE Starcraft. There is next to NOTHING that could keep me from getting this! ^_^

Sensai

Smash Master
Wasn't the original SC the one with 100 units where WC3 had 200 units?

Ack. I may be dumb. Anyways, updated the official post.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Nah, WC3 had a 100 food cap, not a unit cap.

In all reality, I could probably care less about this game. The only time I've played Starcraft was after I played WC3, so all of the awesome features in SC I had already played, except I played the more polished version.

However, I might go buy this game now that the second one is announced, and attempt to play through it again. The box set is only what, $20 now?

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

Yes. I have reinstalled it in the past few days to get hyped up for this announcement and realized that the storyline is incredibly good...

Plomid

Smash Ace
I got Starcraft the day it came out. I think it was the only game that I put over 200 hours into no including level editing and campaign creation. Brood War just extended that. Once World of Warcraft was announced, I saw that as the end of a chance at playing Starcraft 2. This game has SO much hype to live up to, that I really am not sure whether to be excited or skeptical. But, I am buying it the day it comes out.
yup this pretty much describes me too.
and i mean the bar is just sooooo high that you can't not be skeptical about this.
my playtime is atleast 200 hours including almost 2days in a row(around 48 hours(one sweaty lan there i tell you)).

SloT

Smash Journeyman
i was watching this as it happened live on GosuGamers.net news. once it was announced, i stayed up another 3 hours, until almost 4:00 am o.o;

To tell you the truth, i didnt think they would announce it at Blizzcon, even though they were putting so much into the announcement with teasers etc...
W/e, i'm getting this the day it comes out. The gameplay looks Awesome, although i think i'll need a new computer for this lol

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
It is also coming out for the Mac OS X system.
Also, I find it unfair how the protoss has more new units than the other 2 races (Zerg & Terran).

BooThunder

Smash Journeyman
im sure the protoss dont have MORE new units than the other races they just havent announced the other ones yet. also im just waiting for them to announce a completely new race at some point before the game is released. this kinda just looks like a 3d starcraft with some new units. id be dissapointed if it was still just protoss terran zerg. just compare warcraft 2 to warcraft 3, they added sooo much new **** including 3d aspect and new races..... it wouldnt seem fair for blizzard to give this sequel some new units and better graphics and then call it a day. i want more raw content!

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
You guys act like it's already finished development and everything. They haven't announced all the new units, or the new mechanics. They just announced starcraft 2. that's it.

It's not going to come out by the end of this year, and knowing blizzard, it's not going to come out the next year, and probably not the year after. Blizzard traditionaly takes a HUGE development time, and exceeds their expected release date by a year or two. They haven't even announced a release date yet, so don't expect it that soon.
Chances are, many things are going to be very different between now and final release. Remember warcraft 3? The original concept was that you only controlled the heroes, who controlled the armies? And how the camera angle wasn't bird's eye? Look how wc3 turned out now.
But it's awesome that they've announced it, and we can see some trailers. :D.

Edit: It seems to me that blizzard is really focusing on sc2 to be a great competitive rts game, like its predecessor. Probably as a result of this, they wanted to keep it to 3 races to make it more balanced. Look at wc3. Sure, it has 4 races, but it could never even think to compare to sc in terms of balance and even gameplay variety. It seems to me that if we wanted a solid competitive game, it would be best to not be too innovative. I wouldn't call WoW or starcraft or warcraft innovative at all. It's all been done before. But so long as the basics are solid, the game would still be good.

BooThunder

Smash Journeyman
ur right that it will probably change a a lot before its released, the guy in the video says that nothing's final, its only a demo, etc... but i really want a new race, and on the official sc2 website it says there are only 3 unique races. its quite possible that theyll add another one, but nothing in the demo or concept art trailer shows any evidence of it

cF=)

Smash Lord
Adding a new race will make everything unbalanced. They said it during their presentation, the game is made to please a hardcore scene, else, they will all return to Brood War and SC2 will be a failure.

For the moment, they have shown only a few new units from the Terran and the Zerg faction either because they haven't created any other yet, because they want to keep it secret or because they want to further polish the gameplay. Keep in mind that this is only an annoucement to build up some hype, and to let us know that the game is on its way. Nothing more.

Just wait and see during the next months, you'll surely hear more about Starcraft II and where it's going. Give Blizzard some time and they'll accomplish surely one of the best PC RTS game ever.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
At the end of Brood War (I'm not putting spoiler tags), we were given the impression that the zerg had finally created Protoss hybrids. To me this mean they were going to take the current Toss technology, which was vastly superior to their technology, and meld with it creating a Zerg-Protoss hybrid race, with the original Zerg as their leaders, they could do a cool kind of hybrid rebellion where the Protoss Hybrids are pure evil.

The Xel Naga were HEAVILY hinted at appearing as well making them the replacement Protoss race and Terrans are humans, and will just be very intelligent from the previous war.

It is just an announcement, but this announcement has been anticipated since 2000 when Blizzard announced a new game was coming out, but we got Diablo 2. Again, when Warcraft 3 came out. We, the Starcraft faithful, were elated when we heard a HUGE announcement was coming, but we got World of Warcraft and we all saw that as Starcraft dying. This is the most anticipated announcement in the RTS community, if not the PC gaming community. So, yes, even just the announcement is a big deal.

Also, they better have StarEdit. That absorbed me.

Avenger7x

Smash Cadet
First off, this looks freakin' sweet! I, like most of you, have been waiting forever to see SC2. WC3 just never did it for me. I think when they made 4 races in WC3, things got too complicated and very unbalanced. The fact that they can add races to a game doesn't determine if the game will be any better than the original. I hope they stick with the original three and just add/modify units like they are doing in the trailers. Can't wait for more info on the units and abilities.

Next off, waiting for this is going to be even worse now that I know it's on the way for sure. As we all know the waiting time for Blizzard's games is rediculous sometimes, but always worth the wait.

Oh yeah, did SC Ghost just disappear or something like a long time ago?

Sensai

Smash Master
It's not that the 'toss have more new units, it's that they were just the race that Blizzard decided to reveal the game with. Everyone's going to have more units, definitely.

BooThunder: a friend of mine is also complaining about the lack of a new race, citing Warcraft 2 to 3. My response to this: Human and Orc play so similar in those games (jeah, sue me) that a new race or two was justified. In the Warcraft series, you can pretty much pick up and play any race after you've gotten good with one of them. Starcraft is completely different, with each race needing it's own time to master.

I seriously would not expect a new race...unless it's the Xel'Naga. But still: don't expect anything.

Crimson King...I don't remember almost any of that, haha. Oh well, I played the game through when I was 10. That's why I'm replaying it now. W00t w00t.

And SC Ghost seems to have gone the way of Duke Nukem Forever.

Update news: it seems that things have come to a standstill in terms of new information leaking out. I'll be editting the first post/cleaning **** up when I get home. Any new information surfaces, post it or send me a PM.

'Hell...it's about time.'

SloT

Smash Journeyman
There is not going to be a new race. Blizzard Confirmed it by saying "3 races are all that is necessary, and we will not be adding a new race."
EDIT: oh and SC Ghost was dropped because the game didn't turn out as well as they planned, so they dropped it for SC2
Also, i would like to make it clear that for 1: The other 2 races haven't been revealed yet. And me saying revealed meaning Blizzard hasn't shown the new units for those 2
They decided to start the game off with Protoss , and i am glad they did.
Also, please understand that this is a BETA version, a Demo. Nothing in the game is final for the time being~

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
poor xel'naga...so we'll never get anything out of that **** secret mission in broodwar? Goddammit, i was so looking forward to the hybrids and xelnaga. Shoot

w/e

IT'S ****ING STARCRAFT II, *****!

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
They said they've been working on it since TFT, so that's four years. All races are currently playable and they are having multiplayer matches. That seems like next year to me.

cF=)

Smash Lord
WoW has hindered the growth and creation of Starcraft II though. Even if we got to see some game mechanics and a few maps, doesn't mean it's all done at all. I have no idea if they even started creating the single-player mode, the map creation program, and such.

I expect it in like, a year a and half minimum. That's Blizzard's release standards.

MDZ

Smash Journeyman
Armstrong B.C Canada. It's in the Okanagan, so if
At the end of Brood War (I'm not putting spoiler tags), we were given the impression that the zerg had finally created Protoss hybrids. To me this mean they were going to take the current Toss technology, which was vastly superior to their technology, and meld with it creating a Zerg-Protoss hybrid race, with the original Zerg as their leaders, they could do a cool kind of hybrid rebellion where the Protoss Hybrids are pure evil.

The Xel Naga were HEAVILY hinted at appearing as well making them the replacement Protoss race and Terrans are humans, and will just be very intelligent from the previous war.

It is just an announcement, but this announcement has been anticipated since 2000 when Blizzard announced a new game was coming out, but we got Diablo 2. Again, when Warcraft 3 came out. We, the Starcraft faithful, were elated when we heard a HUGE announcement was coming, but we got World of Warcraft and we all saw that as Starcraft dying. This is the most anticipated announcement in the RTS community, if not the PC gaming community. So, yes, even just the announcement is a big deal.

Also, they better have StarEdit. That absorbed me.
Why would the Xel'Naga replace the Protoss? They are two completely different races. Xel'Naga had afilliation with the Protoss because they felt their development was not progressing enough for their project [The Protoss race] to be complete. Though what was mentioned of them in SC may make them seem as if they would replace them, the Protoss strive for superior force and nobility whilst harnesting the power of PSI energy while the Xel'Naga are supposed to play the role of ' Scientist God ' while watching over their creations -- The Zerg and Protoss.

As for StarEdit -- were you on USWest by any chance? Back in the early days of (U) being on West along with &Z and, after the fall of &Z, Au? We were all apart of the original map-making extremists back in '99 and all of us have been a close-knit community ever since. Just wondering if you've ever met any of us..

DemonicDragon
KirbyAu
Evil_Moogle
RuinX
Geno's_Ghost
MDZealot -- me
GaT_yO_***
GoOmBA
Kiloz
JokersSpecter

Any ring a bell?

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Hey Sensai, we've got to play Starcraft one day. :)

Infested_X and I'm on the first gateway (West I think?).
I play Big Game Hunters, Lost Temple and Blood Bath.

Top Bottom