• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Eh, nah. I remember when it was first out for Warcraft 2, and the whole thing was that it was free. Least, I think that was b-net.

They'd be overstepping their boundaries making an rts game have a fee for online play.

Sensai

Smash Master
I whole heartedly expect Bnet to remain free. They probably just mean brackets and clans added in, similar to Warcraft 3.

And everyone should keep in my that they haven't shown Zerg yet, meaning 'hybrids' are still fair game. I also don't think that they've shown all of the Protoss yet.

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
At the end of Brood War (I'm not putting spoiler tags), we were given the impression that the zerg had finally created Protoss hybrids. To me this mean they were going to take the current Toss technology, which was vastly superior to their technology, and meld with it creating a Zerg-Protoss hybrid race, with the original Zerg as their leaders, they could do a cool kind of hybrid rebellion where the Protoss Hybrids are pure evil.

The Xel Naga were HEAVILY hinted at appearing as well making them the replacement Protoss race and Terrans are humans, and will just be very intelligent from the previous war.

It is just an announcement, but this announcement has been anticipated since 2000 when Blizzard announced a new game was coming out, but we got Diablo 2. Again, when Warcraft 3 came out. We, the Starcraft faithful, were elated when we heard a HUGE announcement was coming, but we got World of Warcraft and we all saw that as Starcraft dying. This is the most anticipated announcement in the RTS community, if not the PC gaming community. So, yes, even just the announcement is a big deal.

Also, they better have StarEdit. That absorbed me.
*claps* Well said, Crimson King, well said. I cannot wait till this game comes out, it's going to be so awesome. :chuckle:

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I think my post was misinterpreted. I meant that's how I saw the races becoming. The Zerg story was completely fleshed out, up until that point and the Protoss have lost some of their technology to the Zerg. It only made sense that with both being offspring of the technology powerful Xel' Naga, that they would merge and form the ultimate in technology.

I was on USEast, most of the maps I made were for custom campaigns that we used to make pretty intricate stories. It was good times.

As for B.Net: Don't expect to see a pay-to-play deal. With RTS and FPS games you don't need anything like the server capacity of an MMO. Take Savage, the game has RPG and FPS elements, though both on the lower end of their genre spectrum, has a ton of information and all their serves (holding up to 64 gamers) are free. So, don't worry about that at all.

The Mad Hatter

Smash Ace
As for the story, I feel they will not share all the details. We know there is a hybrid of some sorts. Blizzard knows we know and wants our whole hearted attention. Do you really think it could possibly do as well as Starcraft with simply polished graphics and a few new characters? Don't expect them to give a lot of information.

B-net. I play WC III all the time. In fact I should be playing now. Yes, I do like the way they set b-net up for it. I believe when they say "major overhaul," they will be making changes we can not fathom. I really don't honestly think they will make it a pay-net yet the thought is still in my mind.

Did anybody read the FAQ's? I love where they talk about the cheating that happens on b-net. WC III is almost hack proof as it is, and the people that do get put on the global banlist (which everybody uses).

D

Deleted member

Who plays Big Game Hunters seriously? Money maps ruin the perfect balance that is Starcraft.

AS Juggernaut

Smash Journeyman
I had been waiting for thsi game to come out for sooooo long. Gave up hope that it was ever going to come out a couple years ago. This time they better finish what they started.

cF=)

Smash Lord
As for the story, I feel they will not share all the details. We know there is a hybrid of some sorts. Blizzard knows we know and wants our whole hearted attention. Do you really think it could possibly do as well as Starcraft with simply polished graphics and a few new characters? Don't expect them to give a lot of information.
I agree about the story line, but I'm not sure there's enough content for a fourth race. Maybe we'll see some Zerg/Protoss hybrid in the Zerg race itself, but not a separate one just for the conquered Xel'Naga power.

Sensai

Smash Master
I think the Xel'Naga would've made an excellent race, although it would've seemed to be a little bit of a stretch (they're dead, remember?).

I'm much more happy that Blizzard just decided to stick with the original three races; they're completely different in just about every aspect anyways, so it's not like they ever get boring.

Wararchon

Smash Cadet
I have to say that i'm a bit dissapointed. Starcraft 2 does not look or feel like the original starcraft, but instead a WC3 mod. I just hope that the game won't have supply caps under 200 and that heros won't have levels like in WC3. I'm saying this because even though i enjoy WC3, i feel that the game is very unbalenced due to all the items, low supply, and leveled heros. I'm just saying that i'm hoping SC2 doesn't turn out like that cuz SC2 is supposed to be completely different from WC, and now it seems like the same thing.
But its prob. just me.

Sensai

Smash Master
Wararchon said:
I have to say that i'm a bit dissapointed. Starcraft 2 does not look or feel like the original starcraft, but instead a WC3 mod.
I'm so glad someone else said this, 'cause when I saw it, I thought the exact same thing. 'This isn't Starcraft 2, this is Warcraft based in space!'

It took me a few times through, but you'll eventually see that it's still Starcraft, the world isn't ending, Blizzard won't let us down, etc. Oh, and that they're dumb for (as in WC3) making the units as big as the buildings.

The Mad Hatter

Smash Ace
It really doesn't look like WC3 to me. The in game clips were nothing like the in game graphics/characters of WC3. Even if you still think it looks similar think about it, its made by the same company. If you got something that works why change it drastically? Polish it up (which they did) and sell it. I mean what can you honestly expect for following the same lines as SC1?

Sensai

Smash Master
I didn't mean to imply that it was bad, but it certainly made me do a double take. SC1 (that feels really weird typing...) seemed much more realistic looking then the WC series ever did and I was somewhat hoping that SC2 would be the same.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Grah, the downloadable gameplay from the official ste is finally up. I haven't finished yet, but I'm hoping it's been redone in english just like the cinematic download was also in english.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Yay for StarCraft 2, hopefully they can tell us when it will come out. It has been 10 years since the original and 8?years since the expansion and I want the new game.

I gave up on the sequel 3 years ago when the blizzard site focused on World of Warcraft and Warcraft III and Starcraft: Ghost was cancelled. I do wish that they will deliver the great, balanced RTS game we all fell in love with 1998. Please Blizzard, do not dissapoint us. (Not that I worry, though :laugh:)

Wararchon

Smash Cadet
Lol, banglings... well i'm not bashing the game or anything, I still think that its nice that they finaly made the sequel. I mean, the cinematics look amazing and the gameplay looks pretty good, but i'm just saying that SC2 is no longer SC. The tanks anre as big as buildings and for playing pro, large bulky units with large buildings with not very zoomed out screen = hard space management and unit and building placing. I just always though that warcraft was cartoonish and SC was realistic, but now SC2 has crossed the gap. What if they did that with Diablo 3?

The Mad Hatter

Smash Ace
I have always thought of buildings as secondary. They could easily make the buildings bigger, but I believe it would take away form the rest of the game. Bigger buildings = more detail put into them. The more detailed the minor things get the harder it will be to run (hotter graphics cards, more ram, lag...). I can overlook the small buildings if it makes the game smoother.

I still cant see where SC2 looks all that cartoonish. Some one should post some screen shots side-by-side (I would do it but I'm not that good).

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

I'm not good enough to do that either, nor did I think it looks 'cartoony;' didn't mean for it to sound like that. It just didn't look like what I thought a better defined SC should look like.

You might notice I used the past tense. That's because I saw the hi-def gameplay vids yes'aday night and I am now completely sure that the game looks nothing like WC3. As soon as I find the page where you can download them, I'll edit the first post.

And Banelings. Banglings...sorry, haha, but it does make sense!

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Lol, banglings... well i'm not bashing the game or anything, I still think that its nice that they finaly made the sequel. I mean, the cinematics look amazing and the gameplay looks pretty good, but i'm just saying that SC2 is no longer SC. The tanks anre as big as buildings and for playing pro, large bulky units with large buildings with not very zoomed out screen = hard space management and unit and building placing. I just always though that warcraft was cartoonish and SC was realistic, but now SC2 has crossed the gap. What if they did that with Diablo 3?
I love it when people over analyze and judge a game based on a few screenshots and vids. (Please go to the brawl section if you want to do this) Im starting to wonder if you've even played SC at all. Tanks are already as big as the buildings, they are almost the same size as supply depots. Also, whether there will be some kind of camera control system is still unknown.

Just enjoy the video's and screenshots they are giving us. Seems like people like you only see the faults instead of seeing any of the good.

Raging_Missiles

Smash Journeyman
Man this game is going to TOO GOOD

i still remeber making my first Zealot (i cried when it died lol)

no , but seriously i found out about it and now im jsut practicing my micro skills online to get ready for SC2 ( which looks like it gives me about a year to get advanced in micro'ing):)

Wararchon

Smash Cadet
Dude, seriously, i've been playing the game for 8 years and have gone to tournaments. If u ever looked at the tanks, you can tell they're MASSIVE, big as Bcs. If u watched the gameplay vids, u can tell there is a camera system. Besides, i never said i didn't like the game, i was just dissapointed in a few aspects of the game. The games going to be good, but for ME, there are things i don't like about it.

Units like the protoss mothership are going to unbalence the game if they are creatable, even if u can make one of them. Anything that can destroy a fleet of bcs by placing a black hole is a bit cheap.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

Wararchon, I doubt it. People used to think that the heros from WC3 would make it unbalanced, but sense everyone got some, things ended up fine.

Any prediction as to what the other races mega-units'll be? I'm hoping that the Zerg get something Kerrigan related...

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
I'm sure there will be an easy way to deal with motherships if you've taken the right precaution. Like lockdown and then nuke.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Dude, seriously, i've been playing the game for 8 years and have gone to tournaments. If u ever looked at the tanks, you can tell they're MASSIVE, big as Bcs. If u watched the gameplay vids, u can tell there is a camera system. Besides, i never said i didn't like the game, i was just dissapointed in a few aspects of the game. The games going to be good, but for ME, there are things i don't like about it.

Units like the protoss mothership are going to unbalence the game if they are creatable, even if u can make one of them. Anything that can destroy a fleet of bcs by placing a black hole is a bit cheap.
except....everything in there isn't even beta yet. it's all subject to change. The camera system might have been thrown in. It might not be in the final game. Even the graphics engine, proportions and so on, might be subject to change. Like in halo 3, for a while they were just using hi-def halo 2models of masterchief. i'm not sure if they've switched over yet, or if they did for the beta. basically, don't take anything you see in that vid as something that will be in the game. Wiht the exception of units, which i believe they wouldn't throw out.

SloT

Smash Journeyman
Yea, exactly... You can't say "I love this game" Or "I Hate this Game" before actually playing... Being able to experience it is exactly what will make the game fun or not, not how it looks... Besides nothing is final just like chred2akrisp said. The person who was talking about it (Not sure what his name is) Said "please remember that nothing you are seeing here today is final for starcraft2" at WWI... so we will just have to wait and see.. only time will tell what this game will really be like, and I want to know really really really bad!
Oh, and wararchon... If you ever really payed attention to StarCraft News and such, and really listened to what they were saying you would have known that, and wouldnt have been dissapointed. Just wait and see what it will be like =) oh and COME ON you are seriously a newb to seriously be thinking that units or races are unbalanced.. i mean come on, you have to wait and see how the game play is like.. im really serious, I can tell someone doesnt know a clue about what they are talking about when they start saying "Protoss unbalanced in SC2!!" and looks dont mean anything... he was cheating to get the energy, watch the video again please...
im not very good at sc, but lets play sometime. i am NaSo @ USWest, and ]iNTL[_NaSo @ Brainclan server... if you dont know what it is, dont worry about it lol
Are you FT.aCt)Archon? or someone else >.>
Oh and dont take anything i said to personally, i would have said that to anyone i knew if they said that... lol --; i get mad when people start judging books by there covers... just the way i am

Bi-Ryu

Smash Rookie

If you've been playing for 8 years then you should know as well as anyone that Blizzard wouldn't unbalance the scale to that extent. They were merely showing you the protoss arsenal. Do you honestly think they wouldn't make a Terran Counter to it? A Zerg Counter to it?

Wararchon

Smash Cadet
I just find the mothership really cheap, but if it could be lockdowned, then it's pointless against terran. The only reason i consider it cheap is because of its black hole. It would kill any other flying hero or a fleet of bc or carriers very easily (assuming that the black hol can be made anywhere, not just over empty space). In the video it clearly says that theres a lot of balencing work ahead, so im just going to say that AS OF RIGHT NOW, it is not balenced.

Sensai

Smash Master
As of right now, we don't know what the Terran and Zerg has up their sleeves, either. Like you said, if it can be locked down then it's not going to be overpowered at all...

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
As of right now, we don't know what the Terran and Zerg has up their sleeves, either. Like you said, if it can be locked down then it's not going to be overpowered at all...
Quoted for truth. Whenever I played Starcraft with the 'Toss (my favorite race), my worst nightmare was coming up against a Terran player that knew what the hell he was doing. Lockdown and EMP get in the way of even your most valiant efforts with the 'Toss. I'm pretty sure that abilities like that are gonna be a mainstay for the second game and be just as effective.

I'm sure Blizzard has something extremely freaking nasty in store for the other two races that balances the Protoss mothership out.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
F8AL we need to get back together lol
I feel like i abandoned you
Yeah we should. Sorry that I haven't been online for a while, homework is killing me and summatives and exams are coming up quickly. Thankfully, I only have 4 more weeks of school left and then it's a nice long summer of starcraft,smash and other games! ^_^

I can play this Friday if that's okay with you and/or anyone else. BGH owns! :D

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Terrans are broken. Siege tanks, battlecruisers, and nukes made Terrans just ridiculous. The Protoss Mothership only makes everything fair again. Blizzard explicitly stated that there can only be one Mothership at any given time (thank goodness), and it will cost a large chunk of resources and take a great deal of time to build. Think about it... If you give your Protoss opponent that much breathing room, you deserve to have the Mothership wreak havoc on your town.

And for the record, the Terrans and Zerg will not have matching super units. Of course, that can change between now and release, but Blizzard made that clear as well.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
As Zerg, Lurkers ripped Siege Tanks apart. Devourers, en mass, demolished Battlecruisers. Nukes were the only real issue, which could be avoided with ease.

Sensai

Smash Master
Buzz said:
And for the record, the Terrans and Zerg will not have matching super units. Of course, that can change between now and release, but Blizzard made that clear as well.
I'd love to see a link to that.

And to me, it always seemed the 'toss were the imbalanced ones.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Yes I always found their psonic storm ability a bit on the 'cheap' side against zerg. Same goes for carriers.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
I like how everyone has a different idea on which race is better than the others.

I think that sort of proves the fact that it's really a very balanced game.

Each race has certain "cheap units," but all it takes is a skilled player to manage with them. Some people think zerg are cheap online, since they can use overlords immiedietly to spot enemy bases, they can build units more quickly than any other race, allowing them to rush more easily, and sunken worms or whatever they call them are very easy to make, and protect well against rushing. But really, the other races are just fine at defending against a rush if played well. And protoss easily have zerg outmatched in powerful units later on in the game (but even then, a good zerg player can use the vast amount of zerg units available to their advantage).

Oh, and am I the only one who thinks that the nuke explosions should be bigger? I'm always a bit dissapointed when I nuke something and not much blows up. Maybe that's just me.

Top Bottom