• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stylin on Ya 3 @ RIT September 11th

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
Just to clarify, Goggles: your post mentioned pools, where (I assume) you were referring specifically to the round robin suggestion. However, you raised a point - intentionally or not - that I felt merited further discussion.

I'm not saying we should run pools for every event. Nor am I saying we shouldn't. I simply feel that it's worth serious consideration, and I firmly believe that, given the scope of this tourney, it is at least feasible within the given time.

Now, given that none of us (to my knowledge) have ever actually run pools, perhaps trying them for all events this weekend is indeed a bit too ambitious. Perhaps a scaled back approach would be more prudent. Round robin for melee doubles and pools for brawl singles, maybe?

Whatever gets decided, the benefits that pools offers is hardly debatable. The real question, it seems to me, is: Is it practical to implement them? I believe the answer to be an emphatic "yes." So why not, at the very least, take a baby step in that direction this weekend?

As to your point that people tend not to play matches promptly: I suspect (although this is just a gut feeling) that this wouldn't be as big an issue during pools. Although, I admit, I could be naively optimistic about this. Regardless, a low (or zero) tolerance policy regarding procrastination eliminates the problem; and displaying a willingness to strictly apply a DQ rule will certainly encourage the prompt completion of matches at future events.

To summarize: There is no reason that pools for all four events can't work. There is, perhaps, reason to approach this issue slowly, rather than leaping in all at once. But, without a willingness to take even the first, tiny step, we will never learn what does or does not work.

And finally, I'd again mention that if no one else does, I feel perfectly comfortable handling pools personally, at least from an organizational standpoint.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Just to clarify, Goggles: your post mentioned pools, where (I assume) you were referring specifically to the round robin suggestion. However, you raised a point - intentionally or not - that I felt merited further discussion.

I'm not saying we should run pools for every event. Nor am I saying we shouldn't. I simply feel that it's worth serious consideration, and I firmly believe that, given the scope of this tourney, it is at least feasible within the given time.

Now, given that none of us (to my knowledge) have ever actually run pools, perhaps trying them for all events this weekend is indeed a bit too ambitious. Perhaps a scaled back approach would be more prudent. Round robin for melee doubles and pools for brawl singles, maybe?

Whatever gets decided, the benefits that pools offers is hardly debatable. The real question, it seems to me, is: Is it practical to implement them? I believe the answer to be an emphatic "yes." So why not, at the very least, take a baby step in that direction this weekend?

As to your point that people tend not to play matches promptly: I suspect (although this is just a gut feeling) that this wouldn't be as big an issue during pools. Although, I admit, I could be naively optimistic about this. Regardless, a low (or zero) tolerance policy regarding procrastination eliminates the problem; and displaying a willingness to strictly apply a DQ rule will certainly encourage the prompt completion of matches at future events.

To summarize: There is no reason that pools for all four events can't work. There is, perhaps, reason to approach this issue slowly, rather than leaping in all at once. But, without a willingness to take even the first, tiny step, we will never learn what does or does not work.

And finally, I'd again mention that if no one else does, I feel perfectly comfortable handling pools personally, at least from an organizational standpoint.
Saw the double o in pools and was excited. Continued to read and found no mention of food. I give this post a 3/10, would not read again.

Sharky

Smash Master
Hey guys, just popping in to post that my roommate did not come through when he said he would on paying me back some of the (large amount of) money he owes me at the moment, so I do not have the money to enter anything like I thought I would. If someone is willing to spot me I'd appreciate it and would definitely pay you back ASAP, but otherwise I guess I'm not gonna be able to make it =/

Pef7

Smash Cadet
Hey since this is at my college I mind as well go :D. (Even though like 3 people on this board actually know me XD)

RIT has at least...like 6-7 places to get food. Subs, Grill, pasta, pan pizza, jump asian, mini convenient stores, ben & jerrys, etc etc. If that doesn't suit you if someone has a car there is a mcdonalds/wendy's, grocery store, time hortons, diners, etc etc within 10 minutes. Unless you're talking about provided food and I can't help ya there sai.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Hey since this is at my college I mind as well go :D. (Even though like 3 people on this board actually know me XD)

RIT has at least...like 6-7 places to get food. Subs, Grill, pasta, pan pizza, jump asian, mini convenient stores, ben & jerrys, etc etc. If that doesn't suit you if someone has a car there is a mcdonalds/wendy's, grocery store, time hortons, diners, etc etc within 10 minutes. Unless you're talking about provided food and I can't help ya there sai.
who are you?

Stuff about pools
I think i already proposed the idea to run pools as a way of seeding the bracket. I played at a tourney in NJ where seeding was the only thing pools were used for. It was a very good feeling to be playing tournament sets knowing that you wouldn't be eliminated after 2 rounds. I especially think we should run these kind of pools for all events because of the numbers of new players we tend to attract.

x13mako

Smash Ace
Hey guys, just popping in to post that my roommate did not come through when he said he would on paying me back some of the (large amount of) money he owes me at the moment, so I do not have the money to enter anything like I thought I would. If someone is willing to spot me I'd appreciate it and would definitely pay you back ASAP, but otherwise I guess I'm not gonna be able to make it =/
I can spot you for 2 events.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Ive already talked to sheth about pools. I am very capable of running pools as a way to either shorten the bracket or seed the bracket. I have a lot of experience in doing so. i think it all just depends on the attendance.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
I'm going out tonight so don't get things started too early. I need my sleep before I can sit at a tourney all day.

Should be there with my cheerleader(s) a lil past 1.

Zhenkai

Smash Journeyman
Just a reminder to everyone: Bring setups if you can!
I'm bringin' my Melee setup, got the cube and everythin' already packed. I'm waitin' on clothes to get washed then headin' to meet Flaw around 5:15 or so to be off to ya'll. I'll give a call around 9:15-9:30 or so to say we're gettin' into Rochester and what not. You got my number, right?

Sharky

Smash Master
free tournament at cura's smashfest, bracket:

1: Johnson Family - San
2: cura
3: TommyGreenShirt
4: sharky
5: Testiclees - Eevee
5: DeweyDickmissile - Beta
7: Billy
7: John
9: doodoodookingdoodoodoo - Dudutsai

flaw

Smash Apprentice
Well Jesse beat dudutsai in winner's quarters(?) 2-0 and then went on to narrowly beat Neil in winner's semis 2-1. Neil won first game sheik dittos on battlefield(?) then jesse went falco on PS then sheik dittos again on cruise.

I think neil beat beta to make it to semis. Foy lost early to a puff player I don't know who.

No idea about the other side of the bracket or doubles.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
interesting character choices jesse. and wtf neil doing well still what are people rusting up or has his truly come off?

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Jesse's sheik is very good now... It felt like the more I played, the less chance I had. Gotta start watching some Sheik vs Puff matches.

Spamus...... I got ***** xD

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
This is the greatest bracket jewing I have ever received since BFWNY5 Where I had to fight neil first round in winners, and Mana first round in losers.

Except this was worse because I got bracket gayed in two different games, and the 2 events that I didnt get bracket gayed (due to personally fixing the brackets) I lose to a pause in once event, and the other event gets canceled.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: You didn't get gayed at BWNY5.

Trust, I could have made it MUCH worse, LOL.

Top Bottom