• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sun Rise Tournament (SRT) - Tokyo, Japan - April 2/3 2011 - Melee CONFIRMED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandbag00

Smash Apprentice
If you, and Ally are still planning to attend

I want the both of you to get one of those iodine pills to protect your thyroid from contamination. they already postponed the World Figure Skating Championships due to this disaster.

For smash-related advice:

CAREFULLY READ THE RULES! Read it NOW and read it BEFORE you leave. I'm hoping the time off from Pound V allows you to play at your best again.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
LMAO. the tokyo area is fine, are you kidding me? there is no danger of "thyroid contamination" in the tokyo region. the ***ushima reactor is really far away. stop fearmongering in this thread plz

strawhats

Smash Master
LMAO. the tokyo area is fine, are you kidding me? there is no danger of "thyroid contamination" in the tokyo region. the ***ushima reactor is really far away. stop fearmongering in this thread plz
so all the old school and new school japanese melee players are ok then. Im glad to hear that, but I'm still sorry for Japan's loss overall.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
There's no chance that my parents will let Ally go to Japan after this happened, I would also suggest for safety issue that people wait until Japan has recovered from this. We never know if another incident could occur during April.

Sandbag00

Smash Apprentice
What I am saying is, this is a catastrophic disaster that has hit Northern Japan, affecting millions in the country. Although Tokyo was spared any significant damage, it has been greatly affected. The World Figure Skating Championships was postponed in wake of this diaster.

I would want Mew2King and Ally to go to the SRT tournament (assuming it goes as scheduled), but it may not be safe to travel at this time.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
There is one concern, though, that we're all waiting for RAIN to update us on:

Though the Tokyo area is safe right now, the government is going to implement scheduled blackouts (across the entire east coast of Honshu, the central island of Japan) to conserve electricity in wake of the disaster. Details aren't clear yet, so we don't know if or how this will affect SRT. There IS a chance of cancellation though, depending on how the blackouts are scheduled. So now is not a good time to be buying tickets. I'll keep people posted - as soon as RAIN posts details, I'll try to get them up here.

Again, this is not a safety issue so much as it is a scheduling issue. You can't play Smash without electrical power LOL.

I would not worry about nuclear meltdown. >_> I'm serious. The nuclear thing is, at least at present, somewhat overblown, and Tokyo is very far from the damaged plant.

Me, personally, I'm up the creek cuz I already bought my bus tickets XD If the tourney gets cancelled, I'm just gonna go live it up and sightsee in Tokyo, which is hella fun LOL so whatever.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Yeah, hence why I'm following RAIN's information posts closely.

So far, he had this to say:

RAIN said:
停電について
北とぴあのある王子は現状対象外っぽいので様子見です。
もしも、停電がかぶる場合は中止になる可能性があります。
"About the blackouts:
So far, Hokuto Pier is apparently not subject to the scheduled blackouts, but we'll have to wait and see.
However, if the scheduled blackouts end up including the area, then there is still a possibility of cancellation."

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Double post with relevant information: The tournament has been cancelled.

RAIN said:
4/2,3に開催を予定していた大会を中止致します。

東北地方太平洋沖地震後に、静岡の震度6強の地震が発生したため、
大会前後に再度地震が発生する可能性が高いので、
安全が保証ができない以上は開催が不可能だと判断しました。

誠に申し訳ございませんが、ご理解のほどよろしくお願い致します。
"The tournament as scheduled on April 2/3 has been suspended.

Following the Pacific Ocean earthquake that struck Touhoku, a magnitude 6 earthquake has hit Shizuoka. As there is a probability of another earthquake hitting during the tuornament, for the sake of safety, it has been decided that holding a tournament would be impossible."

I guess the Shizuoka quake just struck - I haven't even seen anything about it in the news yet. Shizuoka is near Tokyo, by the way. Look it up on a map.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
He did also say that he would try to reschedule, but of course it's way too early to talk about that kind of stuff since he still has a lot of stuff to take care of with the suspension of the current event.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
I heard this tournament is being cancelled and postponed.

But, the only way I am able to make it (and I believe I probably can make it) is if it is held either late July (after Genesis2) or early August. Late july/early august are the only chances for me to make it (I have most of my year already planned out). I would really like to come.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Yeah... it really blows.

I'm going to stay in touch with the japanese smash scene, and if RAIN hosts another tournament at a better time I'll try to keep everybody informed. :D

Vayseth

Smash Master
I don't think you can have an official date set for some time.

With threats of an additional quake in the region and irregular train schedules mixed with blackouts, doing it in Tokyo will be hard.

Rain should move it to Kansai, where everything is still operating fine (and it's a much better region anyway =D).

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
This JUST got canceled. It's not that easy to get everything in line for an exact future date, especially since there's still no official word on when the scheduled blackouts will end. Add to that the stress of dealing with the 300ish people who were signed up for this, and the time it would take to re-book a large venue, and I really don't think securing an exact date is the first thing on Rain's mind right now.

Vayseth

Smash Master
It really sucks, but I guess this is kind of cool for me, now I can most likely go ^^;; By the time it gets rescheduled I'll be back from the States and ready to go.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Yes, it is, although it might be worth making a new thread.

For what it's worth there will also be melee. Singles and doubles. :D I'm gonna try to attend.

Suinoko said, "I want to show the Japanese Melee scene how strong American Melee is. So I want to bring a lot of American Melee players."

I think it'd do a lot to spur growth in the Japanese melee scene, a scene that I care a lot about, too, so I'm gonna try to get melee players to go to this :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom