• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If they're flaming you, report and/or ignore them. If not, continue if you possibly can.

If you don't know the subject, drop out in a respectful way. Likewise, if they act like a jerk despite you being nice, report them anyway. I don't really care if they're the biggest tourney owner. If they're being a jerk to you for no reason(and there kind of is no reason to act like a jerk to anyone anyway), then they really don't deserve the privilege of posting there.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
then set up your own tourneys? I hate to sound callous, but if people wanna follow that guy's dictum, then who are you to say otherwise? I'm sure his reasoning isn't that bad

regardless, there is no right or wrong way to play this game on any level

Smooth Criminal

I promise you for smash 4 I intend on hosting MANY tournaments. VERY many, especially on 3DS: that game WILL be tournament viable!!!

But his reasoning, "I don't like it" IS bad reasoning. Then he calls other people scrubs misusing the term badly. I admit to calling him out on it, and I await to prove him wrong through structured debate if he'll even allow that to happen. :/

Mr. OC

Smash Journeyman
There needs to be more people who aren't like that so competitive play is enjoyable. People who refuse to ever see reason or ever think anything but what they say is true should not be making important decisions that effect people WITH reason. It's like a man telling women what their reproductive rights are when they lack the body parts to make proper decisions on the subject.

I now seriously want to build a team of soon to be smash 4 TOs and make things better this time.

It all boils down to elitism.
In my honest opinion, it's one of the many cancerous aspects that ruin Smash's "community" and turn people away.
It's what kept me from wanting to ever attend tournaments.

Blad01

Smash Lord
I have a question. Regarding the footage of Mario vs Megaman we have... Do you guys really think this game is faster than Brawl ?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
In my honest opinion, it's one of the many cancerous aspects that ruin Smash's "community" and turn people away.
It's not specific to the Smash community, sadly. It's all video games... or competition in general. Even casual stuff. -_-

I have a question. Regarding the footage of Mario vs Megaman we have... Do you guys really think this game is faster than Brawl ?
I'm sure it will be, since Brawl's slowness wasn't exactly too popular. Melee was indeed overly fast to some, but Brawl slowed it down to a huge point, that a lot of players flocked to Melee for speed.(not to mention the Brawl Mods speeding things up) I'm sure Sakurai knows that a bit more speed is favored by this point.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I guess I can try. It still sucks those people have "the power" :/
Story of my life. I can't win family arguments because no one admits they're wrong. Meanwhile, there are a myriad of situations where I can't do diddly squat without someone causing a tantrum. I couldn't tell you how many times I've wanted to beat the living tar out of people only to know that it wouldn't accomplish anything.

@ kuma: damn you and your ponies

Smooth Criminal
Damn you and your Litterbin.

But in all seriousness, that "pony" belongs back in the hell hold from whence it came.

That's a different thing. You want this.
In fact, the top quote sums up my opinion on the subject.

"The belief that boys shouldn’t be interested in girl things is the main reason there’s hardly anything decent for girls in animation — or almost any media for that matter. It’s a backwards, sexist, outdated attitude."
Lauren Faust, creator and former executive producer of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Mr. OC

Smash Journeyman
It's not specific to the Smash community, sadly. It's all video games... or competition in general. Even casual stuff. -_-
This is true.
Though, speaking through my own experience, I just witness it a lot more in the Smash community
I've been involved with the Tekken and SF community, and they seemed a lot more down to earth around me, not counting the over-elitist fightstick warriors you'd run into every now and then.
My time with the Smash community is just summed up by crybabies, meme-obsessed pre-teens, elitists and keyboard warriors. Admittedly, I know a few cool people through this game, but not many.

That's just me though.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Elitism, if gone unchecked, will eventually make a community stagnant because only certain individuals have power and decide how its used while newer or inexperienced individuals will feel alienated and often times insulted. Sure, I haven't been here long, but there's something about teaching those players to understand the community's conventions that will keep it going.

That's a different thing. You want this.
In fact, the top quote sums up my opinion on the subject.

"The belief that boys shouldn’t be interested in girl things is the main reason there’s hardly anything decent for girls in animation — or almost any media for that matter. It’s a backwards, sexist, outdated attitude."
Lauren Faust, creator and former executive producer of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
That's why I think the direction Faust took MLP:FiM in is revolutionary to that specific market. But the bronies need to calm down.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This is true.
Though, speaking through my own experience, I just witness it a lot more in the Smash community
I've been involved with the Tekken and SF community, and they seemed a lot more down to earth around me, not counting the over-elitist fightstick warriors you'd run into every now and then.
My time with the Smash community is just summed up by crybabies, meme-obsessed pre-teens, elitists and keyboard warriors. Admittedly, I know a few cool people through this game, but not many.

That's just me though.

Mr. OC

Smash Journeyman
Apparently this is #twitter now

Elitism, if gone unchecked, will eventually make a community stagnant because only certain individuals have power and decide how its used while newer or inexperienced individuals will feel alienated and often times insulted. Sure, I haven't been here long, but there's something about teaching those players to understand the community's conventions that will keep it going.

What you're speaking of sounds more like structure than elitism.
When I speak of elitism, I speak of people who act like Admiral Pit.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

It is a fair point, but yes it's also in all kinds of other communities as well... Take a look at my posts in here about PSASBR, scary as hell...

The huge problem is the status quo. Many people refuse to take a side or don't care and just want to play. But these top people who may act elitist abuse this so the game is how they want, and also attempt to make those who disagree look stupid or inferior because of this. And unfortunately many of them are tip top too. The only way to change this is to create a specific procedure for rule making that must be vigorously followed, and we must do so ahead of time. Something I hopefully plan to do.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
:sonic: @Brawl: You're too slow! Come on, step it up!

:troll:

But seriously, I couldn't stand Brawl's speed or how highly defensive it was. It made KO'ing characters too hard, and since the computers were outright perfect in their actions, it actually gave them a higher advantage than a human player. Despite how much more casual the game itself was, the single player mode was far harder than the previous two. But Sakurai clearly didn't have the time to make Brawl's single player outside of SSE that good, so it's at least somewhat understandable.

Mr. OC

Smash Journeyman
Brawl's speed was terrible imo.
I found it tedious and boring how floaty the game felt, especially considering there were stages that made gravity less existent, so you spent more time floating to the ground than actually playing.
And to add to that, I thought it was ridiculous that there was an item that slowed the game down.

Yes, let's make an already slow game...SLOWER!

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
This is true.

That's just me though.
Maybe you should go to an IRL Smash event (any game is fine) and see how different the community is offline.

Besides, the same could be said of virtually every community.

Deathconsciousness

Banned via Administration
Even competitively speaking, I still prefer Brawl. Idk, call me old (even tho im only 16) but I just don't have the energy to follow the speed of Melee. :s

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
The huge problem is the status quo. Many people refuse to take a side or don't care and just want to play. But these top people who may act elitist abuse this so the game is how they want, and also attempt to make those who disagree look stupid or inferior because of this. And unfortunately many of them are tip top too. The only way to change this is to create a specific procedure for rule making that must be vigorously followed, and we must do so ahead of time. Something I hopefully plan to do.
Good luck.

Also, I'd argue that ANY kind of methodology is a slant towards "how people wanna play the game," judiciously applied or not. In the end it's a pointless internet pissing contest, anyway.

What Automatic said, too.

Smooth Criminal

Mr. OC

Smash Journeyman
Maybe you should go to an IRL Smash event (any game is fine) and see how different the community is offline.

Besides, the same could be said of virtually every community.
Hence I mentioned that it was just my experience. I'm aware that every community has it's share of ****heads.
I considered going to them, when they were still a huge thing, but I live in NC.
Tournaments rarely happen here, and when they do, they're always in Raleigh or Charlotte, AKA, a 2-3 hour drive from where I live.

I'm not one to muster that kind of effort.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I prefer Brawl's speed. Melee is just as awesome in my opinion, but I refuse to participate in any arguments anyone would want to start with me on it. I like them both, they are both awesome, it's my own opinion, and I'm not going to shoot down your opinion, so why would you want to shoot down mine? You can say what you want about the games, but saying the speed and game were just plain bad is not a fact. End of line.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Even competitively speaking, I still prefer Brawl. Idk, call me old (even tho im only 16) but I just don't have the energy to follow the speed of Melee. :s
Hahahahahaha! I'm 22 and my energy has gone UP since I was 16. Play me in Street Fighter 4 and most people that aren't used to playing against me will be mentally exhausted after 2 or 3 matches.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Anyone here fuxx with the Guilty Gear series? Best fighting game series, next to Smash of course :p
Very little. I enjoy Bridget the most. I hope to see Bridget appear in the next one. I wonder how Bridget will look in that game.

I play Gouki, bro.

All I need is a knockdown. :troll:

Smooth Criminal

You and me in Tekken!

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I loved Brawl's content, the music selection, the roster size and controller customization made Brawl loads better than Melee when it comes to content and features.
When it came to core gameplay mechanics, I found the speed and gravity a bit awkward coming fresh off of Melee into Brawl; and preferred Melee over Brawl in that respect initially.
4+ years into Brawl, I just adapted to the playing speed.

I hate and like Melee and Brawl equally. I always wanted a blend between them (Which thankfully, that's exactly what it seems we're getting), so that I can have a game that like and hate even more!

Honestly, at its core this love hate relationship with smash's meta game can be compared to Goldilocks & the 3 Bears. I just want a game that is JUUUUUSST right.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I can pretty much enjoy any fighting game. Smash has created a good basis though. All though learning more about frames, lag, hitboxes and all in Smash I've been able to beat some friends in Mortal Kombat and Tekken. So to people saying Smash is not a fighting game, how is this possible?

It's especially fun in Mortal Kombat, cause my 'platforming skills' make me dodge projectiles cause easier than most expect. :laugh:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Playing without items alone turns around the whole 'fighting / party - game' into a full fighter. Sure, it works a little different cause of the concept, and no healthbar but % and stocks instead. But there's great strategy involved in it to. It's definitely a thinking game. Melee especially can get really intense.

Though, I think I slightly prefer Brawl to honestly. Only cause I don't really find motivation in learning / perfecting any characters in Melee as I find with Diddy.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I've never really played any fighting games other than Smash. Marvel VS Capcom at one point, but all I did was mash buttons madly to try and use more powerful attacks.

As such, the boss always killed me. The arcade machine was eventually taken away from the place I played it at.

I also remember playing Mortal Kombat II at an arcade for the first time. (first MK I ever played)
Me and my friends all sucked at it. :rotfl: The first opponent we beat just be crouching and hitting him the crotch. We could perform any techniques or fight properly, so we lost a lot.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, I'll be honest when the content of Brawl is pretty much all I like about it. The gameplay wasn't entirely that great(it has its points, like some cool new techniques), only the SSE felt like it wasn't half-done or lazily thrown together(like Classic, All-Star, and the Target Tests were). Music I hold as being completely decent, but that's because of too many damn remixes of Brawl's main theme... which was kind of only okay.(the remixes felt mediocre, but the actual main theme sounded good, with the vocals, but without...) A lot of the Trophies had some fairly stupid requirements(the biggest being you had to get them yourself with the Trophy Stand...), and getting them was already a pain since they removed the Lottery(Coin Launcher is nice, but only really useful for getting more Stickers, which are super easy to find anyway) and the Grab the Trophy mini-game. I mean, I can deal without the Lottery, sure, but the other one gone as well? Ugh, horrid.

The biggest thing I like about Brawl was pretty much the roster itself.(not necessarily how they play, but they were all very good choices. I would've loved to have all the planned ones in, even if that includes Toon Sheik, although again, while that was the original plan, he probably would've made it Tetra in the end, which would've been better, but a Toon Sheik pretty much has a design, so she's actually possible now, if he wants a Toon Zelda in, anyway). I would've liked a third third party, though. The forbidden 7 and one more third party, sure, why not? Hard to say who. Pac-Man would've been neat, and MegaMan would've been unlikely due to some turmoil between Nintendo and Capcom at the time. Maybe Geno might've worked.(and if he did get in, he could've came back for For and we could've maybe had a second Square-Enix character. But now, even if we were to get a SE character, I'd want somebody other than Geno just to rep a Non-Mario series. But if we can get both, then hell yes!)

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
The only game I can't really get into is MvC3. I tried guys, I honestly tried to get into it.

I love Smash, Injustce, Street Fighter, Teken Tag Team, KoF and Blazblue

Reznor

work in progress
lmao the only reason people say this is because Smash has Nintendo characters in it. Of course it's a ****ing fighting series
other fighting games are like mixed martial arts I guess while Smash is Sumo

saying smash isn't a fighting game is like saying Sumo isn't real righting (I do think smash is 1/2 party game though but you can change that though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom