• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF GYM:(Injuries abound XD)

Have you worked out today?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • I will right now.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

BSP

Smash Legend
Does anyone else prefer pull-ups/chin ups to push ups? Honestly, I suck at push-ups lol, i should look into the 100 challenge.

anyway, im pretty sure i already joined this, but again

about 150 lbs.
5'10

I'm pretty active I guess. Three days a week i lift weights (squats, deadlift, bench, power clean, etc.) to train for track season. Other two days i either do some short distance running or some "toys" as we call then (weighted vests, parachutes, rolling a HUGE tire over and over for about forty yards (i need to work on that one lol)) since im a jumper. I don't really have any weight goals or anything, just trying to get better at jumping, and some stronger arms. oh, one thing, im going for category I in lifting, which is squatting 1.75 your body weight (i gotta get around 250 and im at 225, but we havent maxed in a while, i think i might be able to do it next time), benching 1.0 (already got that), cleaning 1.0 (got that too) and deadlifting 2.0 (haven't maxed in dead yet).

And i gotta get something to do over the summer, that's the only time i don't have a coach on my back pushing me to work harder.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
Cool thread, I'm going to get going on this. I always seem to work out/eat healthy in spurts. I'll be really good for 3 months or so and see some results, and go back to normal 3 months later. Seeing a few set workouts for each day should help me out loads, and finding this thread when needing to not be studying a videogame, lol.

Goal-

This Spring semester I have to move 2 hours up north to do my clinicals for Radiology. By the time I get back, I want a 6-pack for my girl. She loves being picked up and carried around too, which I can do, it's just not exactly very graceful. I want to be able to swing her around without grunting/stumbling etc, and just be more toned in general.

Punishment- I won't enter as MK next tourney, buy her very nice meal, and refrain from ice cream until my goal is accomplished.

Info-
Weight 170. No access to gym, but I do own a couple 30 pound dumb bells. I don't know if my uncle has exercise equipment where I am moving to, but he does have 5 kids all like 10 or younger. Playing/picking them up enough will help, lol.

GOD!

Smash Ace
Updating my stuff in this thread.

I haven't been lifting as much cause of finals.. not that I study, it just means that I fool around on facebook until 4 AM and then get know sleep. And this always happens around finals time every year.

So basically squatting is my thing. I did 295 and I weigh 150.. That was my max several months ago, and the last time I went heavy I just went up to 275.. did it 6 times.. The problem is that my legs are strong as anything, but I can't keep my head up to finish the squat after a lot of reps. Either this is lower back strength or core strength that I need, idk which.

My bench still is terrible. My max a year ago is 175... and it still is.

Course I haven't maxed out since summer. I did 3 sets of 5x155.. Which is really bad I think. I know some kids whose lower body/back/core are all so weak, but about a month after they start working out their arms and chest are stronger than mine.. and they're always black.. what the hell..

/rant.

And I just started hang cleaning again. I've heard that power cleans screw up your back, and given the physical problems that olympic lifters have once they turn 40, I stick with hang cleans. Awesome exercise, and when you max out it feels great.

So anyone have any intersting back exercises? I'm doing upper back tomorrow and want to have fun with one of my workouts ;)

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
Imma gonna do the hundred push up challenge. I wanna be on that list! I just took the test and got 53. Pretty good but I was dying at the end of that and now my arms feel like jello :D

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Im still doing my ab workout.

Also doing at least 50 pressups a day.

I have a nice corner in my kitchen that I can do arm lifts?!(where you suspend your body with only your arms then lower and raise yourself)

Doing punches with weights and arm curls,as well as the "ARNIE"

I reckon it will be summer before I get a gym membership.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I ran 2 miles today. It was really boring though running around a track, I'll have to remember to bring my iPod with me next time.

I did 100 crunches, then tried to do 100 more with my legs in the air, NOT straight up. That was so hard..

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
You're very young, so I really do not feel comfortable recommending any kind of specific program to you. Are there any sports or athletic programs at school you're interested in? You will probably have a lot more fun and get exercises that are much better tailored for someone your age. Or, if your school offers Weight Training as a course, you should try taking that. My high school offered a gym course split between Flag Football, Floor Hockey, and Weight Training, and I completely blew off the weight training section. I just sat in the leg press talking to friends and filled out BS numbers on the charts. I REALLY regret not taking it seriously, looking back it would have served as a really good introduction to weight lifting.
there is a weight trining class bu i have no room in my schedule. i think they do it after school but i also have extra curriculars tues, weds, thurs, so ill see about monday and friday. i dont rreally have time for any sports

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Hey all, I'm:

6'3"

155 aprox

So I'm already pretty physically fit and look pretty good from my years of martial arts, dancing, parcour, sports, and other assorted physical activities (I'm the part-time geek type honestly, sorry).

Ok, so I started doing Lumagen and for the first time in my life I wanted to have muscles not just for functionality, but to look good, basically I'm looking to kick it up a notch and workout advice would be appreciated.

Looking for stuff to supplement though, because my normal schedule includes practicing and training for these activities, so keep that in mind.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Cool thread, I'm going to get going on this. I always seem to work out/eat healthy in spurts. I'll be really good for 3 months or so and see some results, and go back to normal 3 months later. Seeing a few set workouts for each day should help me out loads, and finding this thread when needing to not be studying a videogame, lol.

Goal-

This Spring semester I have to move 2 hours up north to do my clinicals for Radiology. By the time I get back, I want a 6-pack for my girl. She loves being picked up and carried around too, which I can do, it's just not exactly very graceful. I want to be able to swing her around without grunting/stumbling etc, and just be more toned in general.

Punishment- I won't enter as MK next tourney, buy her very nice meal, and refrain from ice cream until my goal is accomplished.

Info-
Weight 170. No access to gym, but I do own a couple 30 pound dumb bells. I don't know if my uncle has exercise equipment where I am moving to, but he does have 5 kids all like 10 or younger. Playing/picking them up enough will help, lol.
At 170 lbs, that's a good, simple goal as long as you aren't too short ;) I have forever to go until I'll be able to see my abs :crying:
Since 30lb db's wont do you much good, I would recommend looking for a cheap gym like Anytime Fitness ASAP and get a good head start on your goals. It might cost you something like $20-30 a month, but you can just pay for that by eating out one less time per week and make two healthy choices at once :) Also, I don't think they hold you to long-term memberships so you can look for one up north when you move. Their equipment isn't great but it's good for beginner weight lifters, and it should have some treadmills to use for cardio (since running outside over winter will be a pain :p ). Building muscle will help you toss around your girl and keep the weight off for good. Good luck!

there is a weight trining class bu i have no room in my schedule. i think they do it after school but i also have extra curriculars tues, weds, thurs, so ill see about monday and friday. i dont rreally have time for any sports
Twice a week is a good start for someone your age. When I was 15 I was still eating cereal 3 meals a day and drinking like a case of pepsi every week :psycho: Go ask someone about the weight training and tell us how it goes! :)

Hey all, I'm:

6'3"

155 aprox

So I'm already pretty physically fit and look pretty good from my years of martial arts, dancing, parcour, sports, and other assorted physical activities (I'm the part-time geek type honestly, sorry).

Ok, so I started doing Lumagen and for the first time in my life I wanted to have muscles not just for functionality, but to look good, basically I'm looking to kick it up a notch and workout advice would be appreciated.

Looking for stuff to supplement though, because my normal schedule includes practicing and training for these activities, so keep that in mind.
Lift lift lift!!! Specifically, you want to look for a routine that will focus on hypertrophy (moderate weight, 8-12 reps, as opposed to heavy sets of 6-8 for strength). If you're already eating well and in pretty good shape, and don't have that much time, you can maybe get away with an upper body/lower body split and just hit the gym only twice a week. Maybe something like:

Tuesday: Bench/Flies for chest, Curls/Pullups/Rows for biceps and back, Military press/skullcrushers for triceps/shoulders.
Thursday: Squats/Lunges for quads/hams, Deadlift for hams/back, Leg Extensions for Quads, Leg Curls for hams, and Calf raises for, well, calves :bee:

As for my progress, I weighed 192.6 at the gym today, so I lost 2.2 lbs last week, putting me right on track to hit my goal :bee: my lifts are on track too, I hit 160x4 bench, meaning I only have to go up 5 lbs every other week to hit my goal. It's almost a little disappointing that I lost "only" 2.2 lbs cause diets suck!! I was hoping to lose like 4 lbs so I could ease off of this one :chuckle: I miss being able to just like, randomly eat a pizza :(

S l o X

Smash Champion
Quick question, whats the easiest way (without going to gym?) to get my thighs into...well...I don't know...shape? They are bleh even though I only weigh about 135. (16y/o)

I don't run a lot and I eat bad...lols. What to cut back on, should I start running or something? etc...

(bones feel really weak all the time, wut)

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
quick answer: lunges (link) and squats (link) :)
cut back on snacks, especially liquid calories like soda!
Running wont hurt, even though it's not like you need to lose much weight. You **** kids and your metabolism :p

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
^^^ nice vid lol
I'm not sure if I can make it into the gym today. There's a huge blizzard hitting my entire state and everything is closed :'(

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
^^^ nice vid lol
I'm not sure if I can make it into the gym today. There's a huge blizzard hitting my entire state and everything is closed :'(
Work out inside! Check out some of the videos in the OP.

Quick question, whats the easiest way (without going to gym?) to get my thighs into...well...I don't know...shape? They are bleh even though I only weigh about 135. (16y/o)

I don't run a lot and I eat bad...lols. What to cut back on, should I start running or something? etc...

(bones feel really weak all the time, wut)
Squat jumps are amazing for the thighs :p

Hey all, I'm:

6'3"

155 aprox

Do you have gym access or would you prefer non-gym exercises?

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
IM A HORRIBLE PERSON I ATE A CHIPOTLE BURRITO IM GONNA GET FAT.

Oh, and well, this is a project I did for my producing for online video class.

and this is my current body, you can see a little definition, compared to absolutely none back in march/april.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvpkR1PO6jQ

enjoy lol

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
IM A HORRIBLE PERSON I ATE A CHIPOTLE BURRITO IM GONNA GET FAT.

Oh, and well, this is a project I did for my producing for online video class.

and this is my current body, you can see a little definition, compared to absolutely none back in march/april.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvpkR1PO6jQ

enjoy lol
Dude that video is brilliant.

I couldn't stop laughing when you started making love to the burrito.

5 stars.:laugh:

shinobiknight0

Smash Apprentice
I might have to get my shoulder checked. I have pain from the front delt when I do flys.

I can finally get 155 on bench press, but only 4 reps.

NullVortex

Smash Apprentice
Deep in the Middle of I-Suck-At-MeleeVille
I might have to get my shoulder checked. I have pain from the front delt when I do flys.

I can finally get 155 on bench press, but only 4 reps.
That's good. Just don't push yourself too hard with no rest.

If that pain is persistent, definitely get it checked out, take it easy on that shoulder when working out. Don't do anything to make it worse. My friend almost tore a ligament from benching when he pushed himself too far. Took him a month to recover.

PS. Everybody. 90 day competition is over. I should have pictures (of myself) posted soon. Honestly, I made very little progress, however one guy in our competition had alot of improvement, so I can honestly say that this competition was a success because it at least got one person to become more active.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I've been slacking on and off with work outs. And currently my goal would be to have a 6 pack and the ability to do 100 push ups in a row by Pound4.

Heh, that really is a great due date.

I'm not entirely sure what I should have as a punishment, though. Any suggestions?

Pic related, its my current abs:
http://i46.tinypic.com/15wmgkl.jpg

Not the best picture but whatever. I'm at a 4pack atm.
Haven't been able to get anything lower than what you see to get cut or anything.
Just gotta keep at it.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Hey Tiger-kun, hit me up with this.

I've joined an indoor soccer intramural for next semester so I gotta start working out and getting fit again after finals =P

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Victra, jog and time yourself, go for as long as you can, for the next week, keep jogging for that amount of time, then the start of the new week try nd go longer, if you can't stay at your current time, but keep trying to do that. it's a pretty good way of gaining endurance which soccer is all about

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
no luck with weight training so far. i couldnt stay friday and yesterday it was closed.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Man, I feel like I'm just stuck at a plateau with my pull ups. It's terrible. I've maxed out at just 15 or 16 for years. I haven't really put all that much work into em, but I'd think with all my other upper body exercises would at least do some good.

I know i've gotten stronger since I've gained 15 lbs and it hasn't hurt my pullups at all...but I really want to be able to do at least 25.

The first 12 are super easy, but then suddenly it feels like my arms just wear out and only get out 3 more.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
anyone trying to get massive hops in here? I know lots of people just want to get ripped or whatever but lately i've just been doing mostly jump training. like not for any particular sport or anything but just to be able to jump really high, cause its a lot of fun to jump around and stuff. I was in a car accident a few years ago and ****ed my ankle up really badly so I can only really jump off one leg, but yea thats sort of what im working on mostly.

also what type of protein powder/post workout smoothie do you guys rep?

right now im feelin organic brown rice protein powder mixed with goats milk with 400-800 iu of vitamin e and some almonds/ bananas/blueberries/flaxseed (im a vegetabletarian)

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
organic brown rice protein is some nasty s***, but it's not about the taste. I'd rather get the highest value, so I buy that huge bag of vanilla whey from Sam's club.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
organic brown rice protein is some nasty s***, but it's not about the taste. I'd rather get the highest value, so I buy that huge bag of vanilla whey from Sam's club.
?the brown rice protein powder I get I find to be the most palatable out of anything, especially delicious if blended with bananas etc.

I'd like to find some pure cold filtered whey powder, but most if not all whey powder have presevatives, artificial flavouring, and other strange ingredients that Id rather not ingest.

plus I like the amino acid arginine more than lysine lol.

Sign me up, plox. I'm pretty fit, cause I have a retardedly high metabolism, but I'm not hyper. I just want to work on my arm strength and my cardioresperatory endurance.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
There isn't much extra crap in the whey. If I could afford to eat that healthy man, I definitely would. It'll be a good investment...when I get another job.

ALSO, for supreme fitness, the secret is to main Ganon

Top Bottom