• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF GYM:(Injuries abound XD)

Have you worked out today?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • I will right now.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Sorry I've been gone guys!

I've been slacking on and off with work outs. And currently my goal would be to have a 6 pack and the ability to do 100 push ups in a row by Pound4.

Heh, that really is a great due date.

I'm not entirely sure what I should have as a punishment, though. Any suggestions?

Pic related, its my current abs:
http://i46.tinypic.com/15wmgkl.jpg

Not the best picture but whatever. I'm at a 4pack atm.
Haven't been able to get anything lower than what you see to get cut or anything.
Just gotta keep at it.
Not bad for abs. And great mindset. :chuckle:

Hey Tiger-kun, hit me up with this.

I've joined an indoor soccer intramural for next semester so I gotta start working out and getting fit again after finals =P
What Clueless said. RUN FOREST RUN!

Man, I feel like I'm just stuck at a plateau with my pull ups. It's terrible. I've maxed out at just 15 or 16 for years. I haven't really put all that much work into em, but I'd think with all my other upper body exercises would at least do some good.

I know i've gotten stronger since I've gained 15 lbs and it hasn't hurt my pullups at all...but I really want to be able to do at least 25.

The first 12 are super easy, but then suddenly it feels like my arms just wear out and only get out 3 more.
Do you try them everyday? If so, try doing plyo exercises like jump pushups(er.. pushups where you pop yourself up) with your arms in a diagonal form. (I'm bad at explaining things :( )

Like the thing where you have your right arm out farther up and your left arm in closer down, then jump pushup to having your right arm in closer down and your left arm out farther right. XD

anyone trying to get massive hops in here? I know lots of people just want to get ripped or whatever but lately i've just been doing mostly jump training. like not for any particular sport or anything but just to be able to jump really high, cause its a lot of fun to jump around and stuff. I was in a car accident a few years ago and ****ed my ankle up really badly so I can only really jump off one leg, but yea thats sort of what im working on mostly.

also what type of protein powder/post workout smoothie do you guys rep?

right now im feelin organic brown rice protein powder mixed with goats milk with 400-800 iu of vitamin e and some almonds/ bananas/blueberries/flaxseed (im a vegetabletarian)
Hops is what I got XD

I reccomend box jumps. Essentially, from the ground, you jump onto a box(or a raised and STURDY thing), then jump back down. Make sure you are as light on your feet as possible. Giant thunder is not what to aim for. Make sure you are cleared by a doc though.

I'm a fruity type(NO NOT LIKE THAT :mad:) so I usually have a strawberry banana protein shake with almonds. What you're saying sounds pretty good too. :chuckle:

Sign me up, plox. I'm pretty fit, cause I have a retardedly high metabolism, but I'm not hyper. I just want to work on my arm strength and my cardioresperatory endurance.
Ahh I see. Access to gym or no(none necessary).

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
A Hypocrype doesn't exist. Mythical creature perhaps?

Neither does a hypocrepe(Below the crepe).

Do you mean Hippogriff? The preferred mode of transportation by Harry Potter?

Hypothalamus? Hippocampus? Hypothalami? Hippocampi? Portions of the brain?

Hippopotamus? Hippopotami? The Water-Horse of Africa?

HypoSpray? The preferred first aid method of Star Treck?

SoldierRift

Smash Journeyman
Wow, impressive.

Did you look all of those up, or were they in your brain already.

Actually I believe you know what I was talking about.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Attila/shmot is my awesomest gym mentor. Super wubs. <3

It's almost christmas! Time to post my year's worth of stats! And it's time to review my progress! I went up a solid 62kg to 70kg this year (majority lean muscle growth, not fat), but my progress has stalled over the last few months (which I'll draw up very soon). Any reason for this? A theory I heard was that your body can't build more than say 10kg of muscle a year...

But i'm on the tright track again! After Japan a few weeks ago, I lost weight because meals were too light and you get sucked into eating less. I was so happy to go back to eating real sized meals again. And I've started breakfasts again too! No wonder...

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Hi shmot! Great! I'll post up that in the OP.

Oh and I'll be out for a few days due to vacation :)

Oh and yeah Cao... I'm too lazy to do my metric converstions but most people can't make more than about 5-7 pounds of muscle a year... unless you are a fast grower or whatever.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU I just tweaked my back somethin nasty lifting a vacuum up a ladder at work. pretty sure my squat and deadlift are ****ed now.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
yo i play hackysack alot(not kicking, im learning to freestyle). my leg muscles are ****ing strong and im starting to get abs

edit:can u change my name to "Irony" in the OP? or just put it in parenthases next to it

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
So, yea. Finals killed me and I haven't seen the gym in probably more than a month.

Once I'm back at university though, I'm starting a five-days-a-week regimen, drinking that whey stuff Clueless suggested, eating super great, and getting super serious in the gym itself - no bull****.

YEEEAAAAAAAA

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU I just tweaked my back somethin nasty lifting a vacuum up a ladder at work. pretty sure my squat and deadlift are ****ed now.
not screwed, but by the sound of it, probably bet to take it easy for a while. ive torn one of the deep muscles in my lower back before, but i still lift quite heavy today. physios, stretching and ice help too.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman

The Spartan Workout :p
It's pretty beast, but only if you do it right.
Must maintain perfect form & exercises are done slowly.

I've been doing this for the past week. I've never felt more exhausted in my life.

Attila_

BRoomer
i took some of the guys im living with at the moment to do some hill runs a couple of days ago. two out of four were on the ground, wishing they had something to puke up. now thats a workout ;)

t3h Icy

Smash Master
So I'm a Smasher and even make pretty charts, and I like to go running as well. Basically, I'd ideally like a runner's body, but up in the North here, the snow and coldness make it annoying to do, so I'm just doing other basic exercises for the time being (push-ups, sit-ups, etc). I normally do these as well, but I've just been doing more lately as I can't go running as nicely as I'd like to. Though once University steers around in January, I can use the gym there, as I'm too cheap to pay for a regular one. =)

So while I'm still fit, I've gained a bit of muscle all around and I'd probably prefer to be leaner and slimmer, but I'll be able to go back to that in about half a month. I suppose the point of this is, which type is better suited for me and will I lose most of my gains once I started running excessively again?

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
I back from Canada!

If I didn't quote and reply talk to me again...

And nice workout Boom.

i took some of the guys im living with at the moment to do some hill runs a couple of days ago. two out of four were on the ground, wishing they had something to puke up. now thats a workout ;)
Hahahaha. You evil B:mad:st:mad:rd you.

What do you guys like to listen to while you work out? I get really pumped up with Audioslave and Nine Inch nails.
Might sound weird... but I listen to my own band play live shows and criticize it while I run. If it doesn't get me pumped up... We screwed up :mad::mad: :mad:

So I'm a Smasher and even make pretty charts, and I like to go running as well. Basically, I'd ideally like a runner's body, but up in the North here, the snow and coldness make it annoying to do, so I'm just doing other basic exercises for the time being (push-ups, sit-ups, etc). I normally do these as well, but I've just been doing more lately as I can't go running as nicely as I'd like to. Though once University steers around in January, I can use the gym there, as I'm too cheap to pay for a regular one. =)

Anyway, I still go walking up and down the hills around here once or twice a day for an hour each time. Here's a picture of me from around November-ish: http://imgur.com/AbaMR.jpg

And here are two from about a week ago: http://i.imgur.com/htpJB.jpg http://i.imgur.com/cMDYr.jpg

And I do change my shirt everyday. =P

So while I'm still fit, I've gained a bit of muscle all around and I'd probably prefer to be leaner and slimmer, but I'll be able to go back to that in about half a month. I suppose the point of this is, which type is better suited for me and will I lose most of my gains once I started running excessively again?

About how much do you eat a day?

I really can't tell you if being bigger or slimmer is better for you... it's more for you to decide(that was your question right? :urg:.. I have a tendency to misread things xD).

If you start running excessively you wont exactly loose all your gains, but you will skinny up a bit. You may burn off a bit of muscle if you don't eat enough but as long as you compliment your running with other non-cardio exercises and enough food you should be fine.

Hell... the army makes you run long distance cardio and they're all still big :p

Edit:

Forgot the warm welcome :)

GOD!

Smash Ace
I've lost about 6 pounds these past ten days cause I've been sick. First time I've weighed under 150 since July.
What do you guys like to listen to while you work out? I get really pumped up with Audioslave and Nine Inch nails.
A lot of stuff.
Killswitch Engage is good. Underoath, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, and Devil Wears Prada are all metal and fun to listen to. I also listen to Capital Lights and Owl City, depending on my mood.

As to which type is better suited for you, you probably have a preference. If not, ask a couple of girl friends of yours which better suits you. Its their opinions that matter.

And running excessively will only make you lose muscle if that running takes the place of lifting or body weight exercises. Running will also make you lose weight only if you don't overeat as well.
I like running at night because I can have some gatorade and chicken afterward, but not a full meal. Helps me stay thin.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I eat quite a bit, but I divide it up across the day so I'm never really hungry and never really full.

Well like I said, I still do lots of non-cardio during the Summer, I just do much, much more during Winter. Mmm, I'm quite indecisive of what I want to strive for. I love running and maximizing my mobility and cardio for that, but I also like my current and better-in-the-future stature. I suppose I just have to find a happy middle.

I think the army example is really good, so I suppose I can stay larger than usual and still keep most of my running ability.

Thanks.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
I eat quite a bit, but I divide it up across the day so I'm never really hungry and never really full.

Well like I said, I still do lots of non-cardio during the Summer, I just do much, much more during Winter. Mmm, I'm quite indecisive of what I want to strive for. I love running and maximizing my mobility and cardio for that, but I also like my current and better-in-the-future stature. I suppose I just have to find a happy middle.

I think the army example is really good, so I suppose I can stay larger than usual and still keep most of my running ability.

Thanks.
:) Keep us updated!

Attila_

BRoomer
ive noticed quite a few people saying they're doing sit-ups as a form of at home exercise. this is something i am actually against. here's ten reasons why:

how troublesome. there are a couple of lines of thinking when it comes to sit ups. i believe that sit ups do little/nothing as:

1. the muscle tissue to not designed to grow (in a similar way to your calves)
2. the muscle tissue of your rectus abdominus (the 'six pack' area) is wrapped tightly in a fascia which further prevents growth
3. the action that sit ups train you to do is rather useless, unless you play a sport that involves laboured bowing
4. the muscle tissue is designed to keep you upright, not bent
5. there are 3 other (and arguable more important) muscles in your core area which are completely unaffected by sit ups
6. every exercise you do in the gym (every single one) should be a core exercise
7. sit ups can severely stress your lower back and neck
8. because these muscles cant really get bigger (without steroids) you can only get a six pack if you get rid of the fat on top
9. the rectus abdominis is a very small muscle, which therefore doesn't use many calories, giving you less for your work
10. the sit ups action demote stability in the lower back, which negatively effects everything you do in the gym

other people think that:

1. it hurts so its good
2. i saw a massive guy do it so it must work
3. im burning the fat on my tummy and making the muscles big

you can believe whoever you want...
do them if you want, i just dont think theyre particularly good. instead, i think that every exercise is, can and should be a core exercise. happy training.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Oh good post shmot. That brings up this:

Remember guys... the exercises you skip because you hate them... are the ones you most likely NEED.

If you have strong biceps and chicken legs... why would you keep working out your biceps. :S

Now I'm not saying find all these terrible exercises to make your life miserable, but be aware of what you are working out... and what you are not.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
If you have strong biceps and chicken legs... why would you keep working out your biceps. :S
I used to be like that until some girl pointed it out. I started the solution by playing Pump it Up (a dancing game that's way better than DDR :p )

Anyway, now my legs are one of my strongest points. I was surprised at how fast they grew and that they didn't take long to catch up. My leg workout goes as follows right now:

3 sets of 6, 325 lbs squats (Explosive)
2 sets of 10, 450 lbs leg press (regular pace)
1 set of 20, 180 lbs hack squats (slow)

The hack squats are exhausting! I'm not sure what the base weight on the equipment is, so I didn't inlcude that.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Oh Wow! Nice. I always hated hack squats. lol >_>

I was a bit of the opposite really. In highschool track and field made my legs massive through sprinting... though I never bothered with upper-body exercises... until around my sophomore year. I remember it was actually really hard for my upper body to catch up... but I needed it for lacrosse. ><

You ever try box jumps with dumbbells? I always get kinda sick when I do them... but I'm good at doing them :)

Attila_

BRoomer
squats are my favourite exercise in the whole world! currently got a max of 200kg, looking for a 220kg max soon (5 plates). amazing feeling.

hack squats can done with a barbell if youre super aweome. it feels a little awkward though O_o

bylim5

Smash Journeyman
squats are my favourite exercise in the whole world! currently got a max of 200kg, looking for a 220kg max soon (5 plates). amazing feeling.

hack squats can done with a barbell if youre super aweome. it feels a little awkward though O_o

Shup. Im way more tankier than you. I can lift 300kg. Ill fite you. <3

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Holy f*** you guys lift too much! I don't know my max squat, just my 10 rep max. How much do you weigh? I weigh 140 lbs (64 kg)

Attila_

BRoomer
bryan's joking btw. he trained with me once.

i weigh 77kgs atm, and have a max squat of 200kgs. so not quite 3 times my bodyweight, but its getting close. im a sprinter in the summer season, so the bulk of my training is leg power work.

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
I started the solution by playing Pump it Up (a dancing game that's way better than DDR :p )
This is false.

Also my legs and arms are starting to get pretty defined... the gut is finally coming down too and I can feel the abs... just gotta get to em

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
So I get back to school this weekend and I'm super excited to start my new 5-day workout regiment. I wanna start doing things well from the start, what would be a good alternating plan?

(As in, legs Monday, upper body Tuesday, back Wednesday, etc)?

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
It doesn't really matter what order you do them in... as long as you do them all( I MEAN ALL! )

I usually do:

Monday (Back and Bi's)
Wednesday (Chest and Tri's)
Friday ( Lowerbody workouts )

Tuesday and Thursday are lacrosse days so I pretty much have to do whatever I'm told... and it's usually surprising. (Lots of running/swimming) >_>

For the weekends I usually just go out for a run.

You can split up all of this anyway you want too. :D

Top Bottom