• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF GYM:(Injuries abound XD)

Have you worked out today?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • I will right now.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Quick question but do jumpong jacks do anything?... btw Im gonna john my way out of working out by saying I have too much homework already... I may(MAY) start tommorrow... btw again why do we call excuses johning?

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
Quick question but do jumpong jacks do anything?... btw Im gonna john my way out of working out by saying I have too much homework already... I may(MAY) start tommorrow... btw again why do we call excuses johning?
Well, it depends on what your working for. Are you trying to lose weight or gain muscle? If its losing weight, u need some god cardio, and running is the best for that. If you can try running on a treadmill for about 3-4 times a week for about a mile, you will see significant improvement, as well as more muscle. If your just trying to build muscle, Cardio is still important but not as much as isolating particular parts of the body. If you have no equipment, do pull ups, sit ups, crunches, push ups and braces. I do pull ups, situps, and push ups everynight. Try doing about 5o situps everynight for starters, then increase the sets. For pull ups just push yourself and do as many as u can, both underhand and overhand pullups. Try to do as many pushups as possible, i do about 3 sets of 30. If you keep it up in moderation, it dosent take to much to get in shape, you just need to do it verynight, even just one set of situps or pullups. After u get results, its easy to keep it.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Hey I wont skip them often... its called procrastinating on my summer reading and having to turn it in tommorow.......

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
kk, just consider why it is your wokring out, and you can chose to do some of the things i suggested, or you can chose not to. Its totally up to u, but i find it has worked well for me so far. The video on this thread on those pushup variations by the drill sargent seems to be effective as well, id actually like to include that in my workout.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Still doing those ab workouts.

Leg lifts are still killing me.

What should I do 4 pecs though?

I already do the "diamond" pushups as well as the normal ones and the "fist" pushups.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Do Chest Presses with barbells (better than a machine). Start lightly of 3 sets of 10 reps. If you’re finding your selected weight too easy (you need to start off easy), increase it to 4 sets (decreasing reps to about 8 if it’s too stressful) to start packing on the muscle. I’m emphasising more sets over more reps because the technique needs to be nailed for it to be the most effective.

Stuff I'm pulling out of an external site:

1. Lie down on a bench. Begin with the barbell hovering just over the chest, elbows bent. Place the hands on the bar a bit wider than the shoulders.
2. Contract the chest and push the weight straight up over the chest without locking the elbows at the top.
3. Bend the elbows and lower the weight down until the elbows are just below the level of the chest.
4. Repeat for 1 to 3 sets of 8 to 16 reps.

Tips
Keep the abs contracted throughout the movement to protect your back.
Keep the motion slow and controlled -- try not to use momentum.

I find Chest/Bench Pressing to be one of the best exercises for pec work.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Still doing those ab workouts.

Leg lifts are still killing me.

What should I do 4 pecs though?

I already do the "diamond" pushups as well as the normal ones and the "fist" pushups.
You get used to it :)

As for pecs, Caotic's workout should work it nicely. Pushups are also the body-weight equivalent of a pectoral exercise, so keep that up. Along with pull ups you should build pecs naturally over a few months.

Do Chest Presses with barbells (better than a machine). Start lightly of 3 sets of 10 reps. If you’re finding your selected weight too easy (you need to start off easy), increase it to 4 sets (decreasing reps to about 8 if it’s too stressful) to start packing on the muscle. I’m emphasising more sets over more reps because the technique needs to be nailed for it to be the most effective.

Stuff I'm pulling out of an external site:

1. Lie down on a bench. Begin with the barbell hovering just over the chest, elbows bent. Place the hands on the bar a bit wider than the shoulders.
2. Contract the chest and push the weight straight up over the chest without locking the elbows at the top.
3. Bend the elbows and lower the weight down until the elbows are just below the level of the chest.
4. Repeat for 1 to 3 sets of 8 to 16 reps.

Tips
Keep the abs contracted throughout the movement to protect your back.
Keep the motion slow and controlled -- try not to use momentum.

I find Chest/Bench Pressing to be one of the best exercises for pec work.
Caotic gets another cookie. ( : : )

shinobiknight0

Smash Apprentice
Tomorrow the weight room is open at school so I'm starting off with chest+back, and then a little cardio at my house. I wanna see what weight I can manage with dumbbell presses and incline bench. Last year I barely hit 80 and that's a breeze now so I might go onto triple digits. As for back I'm going with old fashioned pull ups, wide and closed grips.

It's tougher for me to balance things this year since I got signed up for 4 AP classes instead of two and an extra elective, so I gotta wait a few weeks before I can drop classes and manage time.

No johns though, I'm still working out.

BSP

Smash Legend
i think im pretty fit, but i suck at distance running though lol. i do some form of excersise every day so weight isn't a problem for me.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
eh i cld use some pec workouts. I dont have any weights at my home mind you, so my core is mostly situps, pullups, and pushups. I supplement with leglifts and braces. ANy suggestions?

Pikaville

I don't have access to a gym,any other good exercises for pecs that don't involve barbells?

I've taken note of the wide grip overhand pull ups(as in palms facing away right?)

Chaco

Never Logs In
Away from your body, yes.

Best chest excerxises without weights have got to be good form push ups. As many as you can do in sets of three. Don't be afraid to really push yourself. If you get weak arms you'll get stronger as you go on, so don't fret.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
I don't have access to a gym,any other good exercises for pecs that don't involve barbells?

I've taken note of the wide grip overhand pull ups(as in palms facing away right?)
Away from your body, yes.

Best chest excerxises without weights have got to be good form push ups. As many as you can do in sets of three. Don't be afraid to really push yourself. If you get weak arms you'll get stronger as you go on, so don't fret.

I posted a push-up workout link in here somewhere(maybe it was to you? lol). It should definitely help with your pecs. Don't forget the rest of your body though. If you have all the bases covered, you are set! Eh, Chaco beat me too it... :ohwell:

Pikaville

Cheers guys really appreciate this.

Soon ill be ripped!

Ill post a pic today at some stage(the later I leave it the worse)

Forever Zero should change his name to Forever sig/avatar changing. ;)

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
haha, maybe, maybe. Pika, u have wifi? if so we shld play, i need some practice.

Pikaville

Oh yeah tiger/all involved let me be the 1st to give you my before pic.

Look at that cheerleader body,I wanna get bigger!

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Wow... you should have all the girls... My body is wayyyyyyyy less worked out than that... thank god for PE I can still stand up after exercise...

Pikaville

Oh yeah I also need some kind of "diet" plan if anyone can help me out.

What can I eat to maximise my muscle growth/size?

I already eat a lot of pasta and meat(mainly chicken and beef) and veg(mainly potato,carrots and peas)as well as cereal(like weetabix,cheerios etc) alot of yoghurt and probiotic drinks and of course my main intake...tea.

There is nothing I wont eat either.

Oh and Roacherman,really? and lol at being able to stand after exercise.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Eat 5 smaller portioned meals with a protein intake and caloric intake key to your weight. Aka I need your weight and Ill tell you. Hah.

Chaco

Never Logs In
You're gonna wanna shoot for around 310 calories per meal, so if your eating 6 times per day you'll average around 1900. That's ideal. You'll also want to be sure to take in around 15-25g of protein per meal. Don't over do that number though. Anything more will store as fat.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Confirmed, your body can't process more than 50g of protein in any one sitting, so don't obsess over it.

When you're on a giant eating mission (like myself: eating is by far the larger task for me than working out by a ratio of 70:30), be careful what you eat. I'm naturally lean but I've developed heavy eating habits lately and I'm starting to put weight in areas I don't want them. Luckily it's only minor and I have a good deal control over it, so it should be fine. So only put the good stuff in your tank.

A note about:

Fat - Make good use of reading the labels off packaged foods. You will always want to avoid high readings of Trans and Saturated fats. Awesome for coronary heart disease and love handles :p

Carbs: are good, if you burn them in your workouts. Otherwise they too will turn into fat stores if your metabolism isn't that flash.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
That's how I was until I broke the threshold of eating that made me stack it on. If you are going to gain weight from eating you'll probably come across the same situation. So just a heads up. :)

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Oh yeah tiger/all involved let me be the 1st to give you my before pic.

Look at that cheerleader body,I wanna get bigger!
You seem really tall. I'm short:urg:

Anyway skinny is the easiest to work with so you should see results in 3-4 months. =D

I pretty much eat like a horse though anyways.

Yet I seem to stay thin,**** you fast metabolism!
Yeah Chaco and Caotic have a point. Remember though, vitamins and minerals in things like veggies can only be absorbed in the presence of fat, so don't forget to eat some fat with your salad(aka salad dressing). The right amount of fat will also help reduce hunger. Trans fats are ALWAYS a no-no though.

I understand you have a fast metabolism but try to stop eating when you're full.
EDIT: If you are folowing the 5-6 meals a day thing then you shouldn't be eating too much for every meal anyway. :)

shinobiknight0

Smash Apprentice
Anyone have tips for getting one arm to the level of the other? My right side is dominant so my left arm can barely do 25lb bicep curls, but I can do 30 on my right arm for 3 sets.

Should I lighten the weight on my right arm and just train normally like I would until the left arm catches up or can I throw in an extra set for my left arm?

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Anyone have tips for getting one arm to the level of the other? My right side is dominant so my left arm can barely do 25lb bicep curls, but I can do 30 on my right arm for 3 sets.

Should I lighten the weight on my right arm and just train normally like I would until the left arm catches up or can I throw in an extra set for my left arm?
First, watch your form. Maybe you are inadvertently lifting harder with your dominant arm.

Second, concentrate on your muscles on your weak side. When you bench or do double armed exercises really focus on moving your non-dominant side up.

And yes, a few extra sets on your weak side will help it balance out. When you finally have good balance, go back to a normal routine.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Im going to have to john my way out again: I feel to sick to start today... I think its from getting wet in the rain and my parents are making me sleep now... Im not lying and I really am aick. Sorry Twoods. But if it helps I favorited that site you gave me for easy access. Well gotta sleep now. Gotta feel better for PE tommorrow

Chaco

Never Logs In
Shino I was the same way for a long time. My right arm was so much bigger. But yeah. follow Tiger's words.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Haha my right arm has always been stronger than my left arm but they're the same size so it doesn't bother me too much, hoo-rah

S.O.L.I.D. - Welcome

Top Bottom