• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF GYM:(Injuries abound XD)

Have you worked out today?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • I will right now.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
ok time to eat crow, I got back from pound and weighed myself, and I was 184.0. So I missed my goal by 4 lbs :( but I lost 11 lbs over about 2 months and I feel much healthier :) my lifting goals are done for because I was in the ER with a periotonsillar infection and lost a ton of strength. Gonna have to wait until this next semester to get back into the gym. since the first two people to post reasonable goals after me were Ryan Ludovic and Chronodiver Lokii, if either one of you posts a progress report on your goals I'll make good on my punishment and buy you a premium account. lonejedi if you do the same ill buy you lunch. time to check out okcupid :urg:

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
my right elbow and shoulders are starting to hurt when i do push ups :< but it only really hurts while im doing them. should i be concerned at all?

REL38

Smash Lord
So I decided to get back into shape by doing some of the work-outs in the OP, but I have a question:

If my muscles are sore the following day of working out, should I wait a day before doing the same work-out?

GOD!

Smash Ace
So I decided to get back into shape by doing some of the work-outs in the OP, but I have a question:

If my muscles are sore the following day of working out, should I wait a day before doing the same work-out?
Definitely. Every muscle group except abs should get at least a day between workouts. At least that is conventional wisdom.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
The abdominal core muscles together make up a very large portion of your body. :D They support you in everything you do from running to even sitting upright. People who run on prosthetic legs use their lower core muscles to move...(some of them can run QUITE fast... fastest prosthetic 100m dash is 11.something seconds...).

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
also prosthetic legs, theoretically, make a runner about 15-20% faster but thats not adding in the fact that they dont have legs to run with you know :O
abs are uber important

i like this thread :]

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
abs are naturally the smallest muscle in your core, and actually dont really do much.

stop and think for a second. when do you actually need strength in your abs? what is the function of the abs? i recommend everyone actually looking into this, because 99% of people in the gym have never even questioned it. abs and core are two very different things.

the primary muscle in your core (and the most important for everyday life and correct body movement) is the TVA (transverse abdominis). it wraps around your mid section in much the same way a weight lifting belt would, and as such, plays a very big role in helping you stand up straight and move around efficiently. that being said, situps or crunches, actually disengage this muscle, and they stretch out the back portion of your TVA, making it weaker. core exercises, like the plank/bridge, on the other hand, engage the TVA fully, and also effect your interior/exterior obliques, and your abs also.

further, an exercise like the squat, while not actually being a core exercise, when done correctly, works your core arguably more than any other exercise in the gym. with a heavy weight on your back, you are required to hold you torso up and not let your back arch outwards; this is all the role of the TVA and other supporting muscles. not to mention, the large amounts of weight being move improve whole body muscle mass, reduce body fat, and teach body coordination and awareness.

that is why i dont do abs.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
abs are naturally the smallest muscle in your core, and actually dont really do much.

stop and think for a second. when do you actually need strength in your abs? what is the function of the abs? i recommend everyone actually looking into this, because 99% of people in the gym have never even questioned it. abs and core are two very different things.

the primary muscle in your core (and the most important for everyday life and correct body movement) is the TVA (transverse abdominis). it wraps around your mid section in much the same way a weight lifting belt would, and as such, plays a very big role in helping you stand up straight and move around efficiently. that being said, situps or crunches, actually disengage this muscle, and they stretch out the back portion of your TVA, making it weaker. core exercises, like the plank/bridge, on the other hand, engage the TVA fully, and also effect your interior/exterior obliques, and your abs also.

further, an exercise like the squat, while not actually being a core exercise, when done correctly, works your core arguably more than any other exercise in the gym. with a heavy weight on your back, you are required to hold you torso up and not let your back arch outwards; this is all the role of the TVA and other supporting muscles. not to mention, the large amounts of weight being move improve whole body muscle mass, reduce body fat, and teach body coordination and awareness.

that is why i dont do abs.

you sir are terribly mistaken,your abdominal muscles are your core, every movement in your body originates from your abdomen, it is THE most important muscle group for generating power

Attila_

BRoomer
Don't doubt Shmot!

*slaps*

Go back to your carrot thread.
thanks for the vote of confidence, meno ;)

unlike most people here, ive actually got certificates in fitness, and am starting a degree in physiotherapy at the start of march. fitness and health is pretty much the focus of my entire life, and as such, i devote myself to the study of it.

further, given that the abs run up the front of your body, and remember that muscles primary work by pulling and tightening (this is fact, muscles themselves cannot push), i cannot see how the abs 'are the core'. they are a rather small of facet of it, actually.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
Don't doubt Shmot!

*slaps*

Go back to your carrot thread.
thanks for the vote of confidence, meno ;)

unlike most people here, ive actually got certificates in fitness, and am starting a degree in physiotherapy at the start of march. fitness and health is pretty much the focus of my entire life, and as such, i devote myself to the study of it.

further, given that the abs run up the front of your body, and remember that muscles primary work by pulling and tightening (this is fact, muscles themselves cannot push), i cannot see how the abs 'are the core'. they are a rather small of facet of it, actually.

this is sad. ****ing weight lifters, where are the martial artists in this thread ??? lol

I guess if all you want to do is live in a gym doing bench presses with your fitness certificate abs don't mean much to you, but if your interested in any type of activity that involves moving quickly and developing transfer of power throughout your bodystrong abs are vital

from a book about bruce lee

"Lee believed that the abdominal muscles were one of the most important muscle groups for a martial artist, since virtually every movement requires some degree of abdominal muscle activation. He trained daily from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m., exercising stomach muscles, stretching to increase flexibility, and running to increase endurance. From 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. he would weight train and cycle. A typical aerobic conditioning routine for Lee would be to run a distance of two to six miles in 15 to 45 minutes, in which he would vary speed in 3–5 minute intervals. Additionally, Lee would also ride the equivalent of 10 miles (about 16 kilometers) in 45 minutes on a stationary bike."

Im actually appalled that you would doubt the importance of abs

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
If your out of shape swimming for an hour can be exhausting. (I'm talking about lanes not a pool party)
I was at swimming class and one of my friends who's skinny couldn't handle the heat. lol

Attila_

BRoomer
this is sad. ****ing weight lifters, where are the martial artists in this thread ??? lol

I guess if all you want to do is live in a gym doing bench presses with your fitness certificate abs don't mean much to you, but if your interested in any type of activity that involves moving quickly and developing transfer of power throughout your bodystrong abs are vital

Im actually appalled that you would doubt the importance of abs
im actually genuinely offended at this. how much do you know about my training program and experience that you can actually say things like that?

im a state level sprinter, who also squats 220kgs (almost 3 times my body weight). you think i dont need a strong core to do these things? lol. you think i can support 220kgs of my traps and stand up straight without a strong core? lol. and do you think that supporting that 220kgs on my back doesnt core my entire core and mid section? lol.

that doesnt even make sense. bench press has very little to do with my goals for training, and hence, i will do it once a week at a maximum. heavy leg lifts and sprints, on the other hand, is what im all about. and they involve plenty of core. not much abs, but my core has to be solid as a rock.

dont put me down, or disregard my knowledge without even reading it properly. dont stereotype, or choose popular principle over those that have actually been researched and founded with theory. and dont forget youre posting in a forum where people are actually taking your advice, cause you could really screw them over.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
im actually genuinely offended at this. how much do you know about my training program and experience that you can actually say things like that?

im a state level sprinter, who also squats 220kgs (almost 3 times my body weight). you think i dont need a strong core to do these things? lol. you think i can support 220kgs of my traps and stand up straight without a strong core? lol. and do you think that supporting that 220kgs on my back doesnt core my entire core and mid section? lol.

that doesnt even make sense. bench press has very little to do with my goals for training, and hence, i will do it once a week at a maximum. heavy leg lifts and sprints, on the other hand, is what im all about. and they involve plenty of core. not much abs, but my core has to be solid as a rock.

dont put me down, or disregard my knowledge without even reading it properly. dont stereotype, or choose popular principle over those that have actually been researched and founded with theory. and dont forget youre posting in a forum where people are actually taking your advice, cause you could really screw them over.

yes you certainly do need a strong core to do those things, which is why I am appalled that you would underestimate the value of your abdominal muscles, especially if you are a sprinter lol.

like wtf are you talking about, I think the only thing we are disagreeing with is that abdominal muscles are part of your core. which they are.

I don't even understand what your arguing. it seems like your last post is just boasting about how much you can squat and how well researched and well founded your fitness theory is

all I know is that you said

which is just factually incorrect. unless maybe your talking about Rectus abdominus as opposed to the other abdominal muscles , but even then, it is a stupid thing to say and dangerous to spread such misinformation

its funny that you say that im going to screw people over with my advice when all I've said is that abdominal muscles are very important, which no one in their right mind would disagree with and you are flat out saying abs aren't an important muscle group. which would seem like you are the one spreading terrible advice in a forum where apparently you are well respected judging by the post by meno

any martial arts master would agree that abdominal muscles are one of, if not the most important muscle groups, bruce lee has spent more time on his abs then any other muscle group doing elevated v sits for over half an hour,

abdominal muscles are what bring speed and power to all of your movements, to say otherwise is too simply not understand the transfer of power in the human body.

Attila_

BRoomer
which is just factually incorrect. unless maybe your talking about Rectus abdominus as opposed to the other abdominal muscles , but even then, it is a stupid thing to say and dangerous to spread such misinformation
this is exactly what im talking about, because it also what yourself and others (deliberately or accidentally) have also been referring to.

let's look at the main muscles of the 'core'.

1. Rectus Abdominis
2. Internal Obliques
3. External Obliques
4. Transverse Abdominis

so the first one refers to the six pack muscles. 2 and 3 are your obliques. does anyone know what the fourth refers to? does anyone specifically highlight it when exercising abs? hell no.

its the most important and no one even knows it exists. in fact, traditional ab exercises (like situps and similar) actually stretch this muscle, making it consequently weaker.

when you say abs, you say six pack. thats what 99% of people immediately think of. and this is coming from someone who works in the market. when i tell someone, do an ab exercise, whats the first one they demonstrate? situps. which is great for your abs, while horrible for your core and lower back.

when i said to remember youre posting on a forum, i seriously meant it. think about the people who come here, looking for information. you tell them to work out abs, theyre gonna jump on the situp machine, not start to plank. knowing your audience is key to giving safe and helpful workout advice.

at not point here have i ever disregarded core exercises, especially for someone training in martial arts. i said i dont train abs, but never said i dont train core. but remembering again, most people who come here aren't looking to be a black belt, they just wanna look and feel a little bit better.

Attila_

BRoomer
the average smasher is probably not concerned with squatting 3x their bodyweight :I
and when did i ever recommend anyone to train like me?

training people is something ive done for a long time, and ive never trained someone the way i train myself. and only recommended a handful to do so.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
1. Rectus Abdominis
2. Internal Obliques
3. External Obliques
4. Transverse Abdominis
all four of those are abdominal muscles!!

and the rectus abdominis is still very important.

note that I never said people should do situps, I just said that having strong abdominal muscles is very important.

I personally don't do situps, I do v-sits, v-sit pull-ups(which are more like L pull ups, bike, play basketball etc

but I don't believe that doing situps weakens your core as you seem to imply.

and I certainly think you are underestimating the importance of the rectus abdomis, which are not just for show, and are a very critical part of your core strength.

basically your saying "core strength is important, but since your abs aren't a very large muscle we shouldn't train them"

which is ridiculous

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Hehehe. I am a black belt in Tae Kwan Do... and Jugfingers... you have to understand that different situations and body types call for different exercises. I for one probably bench more than shmot, since lacrosse demands it.

In addition, I think there is a misunderstanding between "core" and "rectus abdominis" which is understandable considering the two are used pretty much used interchangeably nowadays. Bruce Lee had a VERY strong core(more like EVERYTHING). Also, one of a martial artist's reasons for having "hard abs" was to have a secondary shield from body blows and internal bleeding, which most other athletes do not have to worry about.

Also, prominent rectus abominis sort of just "happen" if all the other core muscles are developed, since working the core essentially works everything around it too...

I'm mega busy... so expect me to pop in a lot later >_>

jugfingers

Smash Champion
Hehehe. I am a black belt in Tae Kwan Do... and Jugfingers... you have to understand that different situations and body types call for different exercises. I for one probably bench more than shmot, since lacrosse demands it.

In addition, I think there is a misunderstanding between "core" and "rectus abdominis" which is understandable considering the two are used pretty much used interchangeably nowadays. Bruce Lee had a VERY strong core(more like EVERYTHING). Also, one of a martial artist's reasons for having "hard abs" was to have a secondary shield from body blows and internal bleeding, which most other athletes do not have to worry about.

Also, prominent rectus abominis sort of just "happen" if all the other core muscles are developed, since working the core essentially works everything around it too...
developing abs for organ armor is more of a bonus than anything, the point is that the abs/core are needed for torque and transferring energy throughout your body.

the point is that strong abs are useful, in any situation.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I agree in calming down, however, Attila really does win at the Gym and this debate, although I admit to doing ab work to work off my food baby, LOL ;)

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
A little while ago, my family picked up The Biggest Loser fitness video game for the Wii, and I have to say, I'm quite happy with it. It's good for if you've got a harsh winter or rainy weather and can get you to work up a sweat indoors. I've been having a lot of snow where I'm at, so I've played it pretty frequently, and in that alone have dropped about 6lbs in 3-4 weeks.

We also have Wii Fit+, but The Biggest Loser provides better workouts (IMO) so I don't have much to say about that. It's more fun based, but I'd rather do more taxing exercises.

Just a little random post about fitness games.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Have any of heard of Planet Fitness? It's a fitness chain around MI that has some odd practices. Like discouraging body builders from attending by not having anything higher than a certain amount of weight. They also encourage machines over free weights, they purposefully don't have weight scales, the offer tanning beds - and apparently they occasionally offer pizza and beagles...

They also have this thing called a "lunk alarm", which is a loud flashing purple alarm that's a type of public humiliation that goes off if you grunt, drop weights, or "judge."

Sounds ridiculous.

http://www.answerfitness.com/135/planet-fitness-gym-reviews-gym-and/

GOD!

Smash Ace
Interesting Business idea. I guess if you have no confidence, this is a good place to go. Of course, going to this gym is an admission that either you are not in shape or you don't have the self-esteem to handle judgment.
I would hate going to this thing. Sounds dumb as hell. What happens if you want to actually get strong?? I guess you leave?

It would be funny if some really strong guy grunted when he was trying to bench press there 80 lb dumbbells for the 20th rep, then some stupid employee pulls the lunk alarm on him. Then the guy just gets really mad and smashes the employee in the face.

Mugen Infinity

Smash Apprentice
I workout 6 times a week.
I'm actually in the gym pumping iron about 3-4 times a week. The other times are basketball, soccer, purely running, and yoga (for teh flexebilityz).

Attila_

BRoomer
Have any of heard of Planet Fitness? It's a fitness chain around MI that has some odd practices. Like discouraging body builders from attending by not having anything higher than a certain amount of weight. They also encourage machines over free weights, they purposefully don't have weight scales, the offer tanning beds - and apparently they occasionally offer pizza and beagles...

They also have this thing called a "lunk alarm", which is a loud flashing purple alarm that's a type of public humiliation that goes off if you grunt, drop weights, or "judge."

Sounds ridiculous.

http://www.answerfitness.com/135/planet-fitness-gym-reviews-gym-and/
i lolled. if they arrive in australia, ill drop by to see what theyre about. sounds actually pretty funny. you crazy americans....

I workout 6 times a week.
I'm actually in the gym pumping iron about 3-4 times a week. The other times are basketball, soccer, purely running, and yoga (for teh flexebilityz).
youre in okinawa? im jealous...

Healer

Smash Apprentice
My pushups only seem to build up my triceps...grr... it's a good thing for my triceps but it just looks weird with a scrawny chest as opposed to much bigger arms. What can i do for my chest? Bodyweight is my only option btw. Thanx!

Top Bottom