• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tails the fox has arrived! (Video up!)

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
[loh-kay-shuhn] n. The act or process of locating
Don't diss mah work!
LOL, hey, I'm just saying, you could look at the texture I made for a reference on where stuff goes to look good on that plane shape. I don't mind if you guys use a different texture for the Tornado as long as it looks good, y'know?

I could help you guys if you want. I've got Adobe CS4 and several years' experience with Photoshop and Illustrator, plus the original .PSD of that Tornado texture I made for my own Angel Island Zone stage. I could easily build off of that and make a more pixellated version for you guys if you're both okay with it.

Mr.Weegee

Smash Ace
yellow aura lolwut

Do it.
Yellow aura?

Mate....just a warning

as soon as you get Noalan from Fire Emblem into Brawl im doing so many texture hacks on him you ll hate photoshop and Paint.Net for the rest of your life..... *deranged thoughts about making Aizen from Bleach)

Just a warning ;)
LOL. Anyway, for Nolan's head (because he's probably gonna use Link or Ike's body), I don't know who's head to use. Maybe a vertex hack, or a person from another game. Who's head do you think looks the most like Nolan's? Because Radiant Dawn's models don't work.

Maybe it's been said before, but perhaps change some parts of his moveset to incorporate his tails moar?
*weeps with joy* Nolan!!!!
I'll get started when the costume and axe are finished.

I was referring to the moveset though, not the way it looks :p
Oh, I was too. I just meant that there were still problems in the moveset.
im sure fortwaffles can add bones to the GHZ tails and rename them to work with your animations (he managed to get knux to load sonic's animations perfectly)

so yeah... HYPE! :3
That would be sweet!
Seeing as how Fortwaffles has discovered a way to add bones to any model and was able to load Knuckles over Sonic with working animations...I would contact him in and see if he would be able to do this to Tails as well for you. It should work perfectly and fix the texture problem you have with this. Also...based on the video, the Tails should only take up one slot because it is loaded via texture files instead of the .pac file for the moveset which loads Tails' head currently. So you should be able to also make alternate costumes for Tails as well.
XD Yeah. It's really up to him though, so we'll see :p
Well, if he works with Sonic's animations, I might do it.

LOL, hey, I'm just saying, you could look at the texture I made for a reference on where stuff goes to look good on that plane shape. I don't mind if you guys use a different texture for the Tornado as long as it looks good, y'know?

I could help you guys if you want. I've got Adobe CS4 and several years' experience with Photoshop and Illustrator, plus the original .PSD of that Tornado texture I made for my own Angel Island Zone stage. I could easily build off of that and make a more pixellated version for you guys if you're both okay with it.
It's okay with me. How about you, InTrepidCognito?

InTrepidCognito

Smash Ace
:childish frown:

Fine...

But really, I'd be fine with it, provided we see it before you post it here.

Mr.Weegee

Smash Ace
I'm gonna see how Tails' GHZ model works in-game now...

Workin' in Brawlbox perfectly...

blaze1216j

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blaze1216j
Switch FC
0463-6711-5134
dang, i can't wait to see if the real tails brawl model be playable, keep up the good work guys =)

Camonsters

Smash Apprentice
I put tails over sonic and with Mr.Weegee's animations it seems perfect to me. The tails aren't animated though. There is a couple of poses where he messes up a bit but it seems perfect.

Mr.Weegee

Smash Ace
I put tails over sonic and with Mr.Weegee's animations it seems perfect to me. The tails aren't animated though. There is a couple of poses where he messes up a bit but it seems perfect.
In brawlbox or in-game?

If it's in-game, then...I'll bow down to you if you tell me what you did.

Mr.Weegee

Smash Ace
Eh...

So now what?

And can someone do the Nolan costume plz?

Should I use Tails' model from M&SOWG?

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
Totally looking forward to this. Tails is by far my favorite character from the Sonic franchise.
Hope you solve all your graphical and gameplay issues soon. Good luck to ya!

Mr.Weegee

Smash Ace
I thought it would work with Sonic's animations.

He didn't.

Ah, oh well...

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Some moves a little wonky, could use some more thought and charm. Also Sonic's body really bugs me. I am liking all the Sonic Battle and Sonic the Fighter references though.

In my opinion Tails should be great for support. Crafty and swift ways to save his partner, like chuchus and fast mobility with rhythm badge twirling. High damage but multi-hit move that cancels into grabs or other things like weapon switches. Never really having kill power but has options to punish many mistakes with haste, projectiles, or clever gadget usage.

I'd love to make a moveset for this character. Only reason I haven't tried some animations is the bone problems with his Brawl model. His All-star model is cute but I'd like him to stay consistent with Sonic.

Mr.Weegee

Smash Ace
Now you just need to fix his textures and some of his (silly looking) animations!
Yeah, some animations are a bit odd..

Some moves a little wonky, could use some more thought and charm. Also Sonic's body really bugs me. I am liking all the Sonic Battle and Sonic the Fighter references though.

In my opinion Tails should be great for support. Crafty and swift ways to save his partner, like chuchus and fast mobility with rhythm badge twirling. High damage but multi-hit move that cancels into grabs or other things like weapon switches. Never really having kill power but has options to punish many mistakes with haste, projectiles, or clever gadget usage.

I'd love to make a moveset for this character. Only reason I haven't tried some animations is the bone problems with his Brawl model. His All-star model is cute but I'd like him to stay consistent with Sonic.
Hm...that makes sense. However, I can't really think of a moveset to match it.

So...anything? Anyone? I'm open to suggestion...

dxrkn3ss

Smash Journeyman
YES!!!!

I got his M&SOWG head and Tails on!

I suppose that works, but he still looks outta shape! But it is an extremely better improvement from the glitchy texture. Can you animate the tails correctly, and doesn't no facial expressions bother u?

EDIT: Why don't you make him throw rings that explode? Look up tails in SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2006 as a reference! It would be pretty cool.

EDIT 2: Is that the hi-poly head model?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Hopefully, could you resize Sonic's model? It does look rather strange, but it's good to see the head working.
EDIT: Why don't you make him throw rings that explode? Look up tails in SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2006 as a reference! It would be pretty cool.
He also does this in Sonic Heroes as his solo attack.

Mr.Weegee

Smash Ace
I suppose that works, but he still looks outta shape! But it is an extremely better improvement from the glitchy texture. Can you animate the tails correctly, and doesn't no facial expressions bother u?

EDIT 2: Is that the hi-poly head model?
He also does this in Sonic Heroes as his solo attack.
No facial expressions isn't that bad.

Exploding rings...if you give me a model, I can do it. The one in GHZ is part of the stage's model, so I can't use them...

I don't think it's the hi-poly head model.

Hopefully, could you resize Sonic's model? It does look rather strange, but it's good to see the head working.

The quills are bothering the **** out of me though.
This is why I REALLY need someone to vertex hack.

dxrkn3ss

Smash Journeyman
No facial expressions isn't that bad.

Exploding rings...if you give me a model, I can do it. The one in GHZ is part of the stage's model, so I can't use them...
There has to be some sort of ring article. I was thinking the donut from the food items, texturized yellow (lol) but its only 2d, despite the fact it would make tails even more wonky?

Hmmmm.... You're having the same problem as me. I've run outta moves to give Amy that isn't repetitive or silly?

I have one tip then. Try something NEW!

I'm giving Amy a move that she blows a kiss, creating a damaging heart.

Here's a few ideas.
BOOMERANG WRENCH: Give tails that wrench you dreaded, or texturize something else to look like one, then give tails a boomerang wrench or a wrench that flies off the screen.

AIR DROP: Give tails a grab like your Yoda, lifting the opponent up and then dropping them. Make sure Tails positions above the opponent beforehand though.

EDIT: Is there a way to get Bowser's side B here somehow. If so, Tails can grab the opponent, fly up a decent height then come down with them, dropping them from a foot above the ground...

Nvm. Metaknight's or Kirby's grabs would work here, unless you wanna make it into a move.

Tails spinning his tails to create a wind gust???

TAILS'S TRAP: Tails sets a mine in the ground, like Snake's. It sort of makes sense for him.

HEEL SMASH: For an aerial meteor smash Tails does one of those 360 flip kicks that the characters had in sonic battle. Just make him flip in place kicking downward with the heel of his right foot, then using his tails to hover for 3/4th of a second after.

TINKER: Tails uses his trusty wrench again to "tinker" with the opponent's technological stuff. Make it have small hitboxes in front of tails. It does hit with light knockback and damage but if it connects to a shield, it breaks it!

Mr.Weegee

Smash Ace
There has to be some sort of ring article. I was thinking the donut from the food items, texturized yellow (lol) but its only 2d, despite the fact it would make tails even more wonky?

Hmmmm.... You're having the same problem as me. I've run outta moves to give Amy that isn't repetitive or silly?

I have one tip then. Try something NEW!

I'm giving Amy a move that she blows a kiss, creating a damaging heart.

Here's a few ideas.
BOOMERANG WRENCH: Give tails that wrench you dreaded, or texturize something else to look like one, then give tails a boomerang wrench or a wrench that flies off the screen.

AIR DROP: Give tails a grab like your Yoda, lifting the opponent up and then dropping them. Make sure Tails positions above the opponent beforehand though.

EDIT: Is there a way to get Bowser's side B here somehow. If so, Tails can grab the opponent, fly up a decent height then come down with them, dropping them from a foot above the ground...

Nvm. Metaknight's or Kirby's grabs would work here, unless you wanna make it into a move.

Tails spinning his tails to create a wind gust???

TAILS'S TRAP: Tails sets a mine in the ground, like Snake's. It sort of makes sense for him.

HEEL SMASH: For an aerial meteor smash Tails does one of those 360 flip kicks that the characters had in sonic battle. Just make him flip in place kicking downward with the heel of his right foot, then using his tails to hover for 3/4th of a second after.

TINKER: Tails uses his trusty wrench again to "tinker" with the opponent's technological stuff. Make it have small hitboxes in front of tails. It does hit with light knockback and damage but if it connects to a shield, it breaks it!
Those are good, but I don't know what to put them over.

Plus, I only really needed a utilt and uair.

yes you definately need a vertex to get rid of sonics spines if your going to use his body
I really need a vertex hacker.

Why not use Tails from Green Hill Zone stage? Now that we have the bone adder.
|
\/
when i put tails in as sonic... evil things happened... EVEL THINGSSS!!! D:
I hope it wasn't the same as what happened to me.

The horror!

Oh, the horror!

And then, a blackout happened for some reason.
I just tried it in game... yeaaaaaaaaaaa. Now I see what you mean.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
I would like to submit some Specials Ideas.

Neutral B: Tailspin
----------
Tap it once, and Tails does a quick roundhouse strike with his tails, doing little damage and medium-heavy knock back, keep tapping it, and Tails will spin up to five times in succession, increasing the range, but lowering damage the farther out it goes.

In the Air, if tapped in succession, Tails will float in the air!

Side B: Tool Toss or Remote Bomb
----------
Tool Toss: Tails will throw a hammer at his opponent for medium damage, and heavy knock back, but sometimes he may throw something else...

Remote Bomb: Tails will throw a remote-controlled bomb that will disappear over time, and it's damage and knock back will increase. Use it just when it's about to disappear for maximum damage and killing power!

Down B: Missile Rush or ???

Missile Rush: Tails will tinker with a machine for a second, and then it will shoot out three missiles which target the opponent!

???: You figure this one out.

Up B: Rotor Tail
---------
Tails uses his trusty tails to rise up into the air for a limited time, once he reaches his maximum height, he will begin to slowly float back down, but will suddenly drop if you're not careful.

Final Smash: Tornado Tackle!
Tails will call the Tornado II, and it will fly right in front of him to hit the opponent, if it connects, a cinematic of Tails ramming the opponent ala Blue Falcon will commence.

There you go people!

Leo Kitsune

Smash Apprentice
Ugh, GOD no. The Dummy Ring Bombs make me want to die. Along with SONIC '06 in general.

Mr.Weegee

Smash Ace
I would like to submit some Specials Ideas.

Neutral B: Tailspin
----------
Tap it once, and Tails does a quick roundhouse strike with his tails, doing little damage and medium-heavy knock back, keep tapping it, and Tails will spin up to five times in succession, increasing the range, but lowering damage the farther out it goes.

In the Air, if tapped in succession, Tails will float in the air!

Side B: Tool Toss or Remote Bomb
----------
Tool Toss: Tails will throw a hammer at his opponent for medium damage, and heavy knock back, but sometimes he may throw something else...

Remote Bomb: Tails will throw a remote-controlled bomb that will disappear over time, and it's damage and knock back will increase. Use it just when it's about to disappear for maximum damage and killing power!

Down B: Missile Rush or ???

Missile Rush: Tails will tinker with a machine for a second, and then it will shoot out three missiles which target the opponent!

???: You figure this one out.

Up B: Rotor Tail
---------
Tails uses his trusty tails to rise up into the air for a limited time, once he reaches his maximum height, he will begin to slowly float back down, but will suddenly drop if you're not careful.

Final Smash: Tornado Tackle!
Tails will call the Tornado II, and it will fly right in front of him to hit the opponent, if it connects, a cinematic of Tails ramming the opponent ala Blue Falcon will commence.

There you go people!
Good ideas! Well, since I don't have a down B, I'm probably gonna take this one...

Any other ideas?

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I'll pitch in a bit.

Side-B: Twirls his tails continuously, rhythm badge spin from SA1. After a certain amount of time Tails can cancel into a few different moves.
-Up-B will fly upwards ala Sonic the fighters grabbing anyone on his way and then either dropping them or throwing them up depending on whether you hold up or down.
-Side-B will throw a small bomb(Tails Adventure) at a low angle that slowly descends. On contact with anything releases an explosion. If it hits someones shield directly the initial hitbox will shieldbreak. Good cover fire and also forces the opponent to move. Will also randomly throw different types of bombs, which I will explain later.
-Down-B Slight roundhouse kick thats unpunishable and quite fast. Semi-spikes if they're in the air.
-Neutral-B does his Neutral-B.
-Grab will grab.

The reason these moves can only be done out of side-B is to give them a decent amount of start-up time, while also giving Tails options if they shield his side-B.

Neutral-B: Counter/Charge shot. First time using it, Tails pulls out a gun and kneels as if hes fixing it. If someone hits him during this pose the gun instantly fixes itself and an explosion knocks the opponent away. This will charge Tails' gun for 2-3 shots, sort of like G&W's bucket. His actual shot will be his bullet from Sonic Battle, a lightning bolt that stays out for a good amount of time and keeps the opponent stunned. Has no lag on landing.

Dsmash: Tails will hop a bit and slam the ground with his tail. Two chu-chu bombs will then appear on both sides of him ala Sonic Battle that travel outwards. The chuchus will be sprites instead of models, and there is a random chance the Mecha Tails sprite will swiftly fly out and deal a high knockback explosion.

Fsmash: Tail swipe that also shoots a projectile ala Sonic Advance.

Usmash: Boxing glove comes up a few feet ahead of him ala Sonic Battle, leaves Tails completely vulnerable to people standing in front of him though.

Bair: Tails' aerial option from the advance series where he curls up and his tails rotate behind him, multi-hitting the opponent.

Nair: Two-hit kick, must tap A twice like a jab for both hits to come out.

Uthrow: Hand comes out(Sonic Battle) and flicks the opponent upwards. A bomb is placed on them that explodes afterwards. The bomb will usually explode instantly, but randomly you'll get a few different bombs which I'll also explain.

Random bombs: Most of these are from Tails Adventure but a lot of the effects can be done with items already in Brawl. Bombs will not hurt Tails unless otherwise mentioned.

Great Bomb: Basically the sticky bomb, explodes after a set amount of time. Slightly rare.

Napalm Dan: Creates a wave of fire that spreads across the ground. Wave will also hit Tails, so he can counter it for a free charge shot when this happens. Also sends the opponent upwards in a blaze. Bomb explodes as soon as the opponent hits the ground. So they have nowhere to go or roll if they decide to not tech. Flames cover a good distance both directions, and fall off the stage if they are created there. Pretty rare.

Combo Bomb: Larger radius, and shakes the screen. Does more knockback, very rare.

Remocon Bomb: Slightly rare bomb that will not explode until Tails shields. Good thing is, it breaks shields. However it affects Tails also. So if he explodes the bomb close to him and the opponent dodges then Tails is shieldbroken and the opponent is free. In teams this would be a very scary weapon to control the match with. Tails can not dodge the explosion because...

Tails Shield: Is different like Yoshi's shield. He has S3K power-up shields instead. He has no invul on his dodges, but instead they switch between different shields such as flame shield, lightning shield, flickies etc. The effects of these different shields are yet to be determined.

And thats why I don't usually write up movesets. I get too elaborate lulz <_<;

I probably missed ideas and could definitely do more, but I'll leave these on the drawing board for now...

Mr.Weegee

Smash Ace
I'll pitch in a bit.

Side-B: Twirls his tails continuously, rhythm badge spin from SA1. After a certain amount of time Tails can cancel into a few different moves.
-Up-B will fly upwards ala Sonic the fighters grabbing anyone on his way and then either dropping them or throwing them up depending on whether you hold up or down.
-Side-B will throw a small bomb(Tails Adventure) at a low angle that slowly descends. On contact with anything releases an explosion. If it hits someones shield directly the initial hitbox will shieldbreak. Good cover fire and also forces the opponent to move. Will also randomly throw different types of bombs, which I will explain later.
-Down-B Slight roundhouse kick thats unpunishable and quite fast. Semi-spikes if they're in the air.
-Neutral-B does his Neutral-B.
-Grab will grab.

The reason these moves can only be done out of side-B is to give them a decent amount of start-up time, while also giving Tails options if they shield his side-B.

Neutral-B: Counter/Charge shot. First time using it, Tails pulls out a gun and kneels as if hes fixing it. If someone hits him during this pose the gun instantly fixes itself and an explosion knocks the opponent away. This will charge Tails' gun for 2-3 shots, sort of like G&W's bucket. His actual shot will be his bullet from Sonic Battle, a lightning bolt that stays out for a good amount of time and keeps the opponent stunned. Has no lag on landing.

Dsmash: Tails will hop a bit and slam the ground with his tail. Two chu-chu bombs will then appear on both sides of him ala Sonic Battle that travel outwards. The chuchus will be sprites instead of models, and there is a random chance the Mecha Tails sprite will swiftly fly out and deal a high knockback explosion.

Fsmash: Tail swipe that also shoots a projectile ala Sonic Advance.

Usmash: Boxing glove comes up a few feet ahead of him ala Sonic Battle, leaves Tails completely vulnerable to people standing in front of him though.

Bair: Tails' aerial option from the advance series where he curls up and his tails rotate behind him, multi-hitting the opponent.

Nair: Two-hit kick, must tap A twice like a jab for both hits to come out.

Uthrow: Hand comes out(Sonic Battle) and flicks the opponent upwards. A bomb is placed on them that explodes afterwards. The bomb will usually explode instantly, but randomly you'll get a few different bombs which I'll also explain.

Random bombs: Most of these are from Tails Adventure but a lot of the effects can be done with items already in Brawl. Bombs will not hurt Tails unless otherwise mentioned.

Great Bomb: Basically the sticky bomb, explodes after a set amount of time. Slightly rare.

Napalm Dan: Creates a wave of fire that spreads across the ground. Wave will also hit Tails, so he can counter it for a free charge shot when this happens. Also sends the opponent upwards in a blaze. Bomb explodes as soon as the opponent hits the ground. So they have nowhere to go or roll if they decide to not tech. Flames cover a good distance both directions, and fall off the stage if they are created there. Pretty rare.

Combo Bomb: Larger radius, and shakes the screen. Does more knockback, very rare.

Remocon Bomb: Slightly rare bomb that will not explode until Tails shields. Good thing is, it breaks shields. However it affects Tails also. So if he explodes the bomb close to him and the opponent dodges then Tails is shieldbroken and the opponent is free. In teams this would be a very scary weapon to control the match with. Tails can not dodge the explosion because...

Tails Shield: Is different like Yoshi's shield. He has S3K power-up shields instead. He has no invul on his dodges, but instead they switch between different shields such as flame shield, lightning shield, flickies etc. The effects of these different shields are yet to be determined.

And thats why I don't usually write up movesets. I get too elaborate lulz <_<;

I probably missed ideas and could definitely do more, but I'll leave these on the drawing board for now...
Isn't the usmash that you suggested the one that Tails already has?
And the uthrow is like his current fthrow, except non bomb-planting.

I'm wondering if you saw the video...

Anyway, moving on!

The uthrow bomb planting is a good idea, but I don't really know if it's possible. But the ideas are too good to let go...maybe I could put them in the side b...

The shield sounds interesting, but I guess you're still thinking about that,

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Isn't the usmash that you suggested the one that Tails already has?
And the uthrow is like his current fthrow, except non bomb-planting.

I'm wondering if you saw the video...

Anyway, moving on!

The uthrow bomb planting is a good idea, but I don't really know if it's possible. But the ideas are too good to let go...maybe I could put them in the side b...

The shield sounds interesting, but I guess you're still thinking about that,
I did see the video, but I just wanted to add more specifics. Like the Uthrow planting bombs and the Usmash leaving Tails vulnerable in front. I really did like all the StF and Sonic Battle references I saw, just wanted to expand on it a bit.

Anyways the shields can all have some funny effects. Like flame shield having a very fast roll, lightning shield reflecting projectiles on certain frames(Like right when it comes out), or flickies even damaging opponents on powershield.

They also obviously have to be invulnerable to their specific types. Like dodging Pika's thunder or Bowser's flame breath lul.

Mr.Weegee

Smash Ace
I did see the video, but I just wanted to add more specifics. Like the Uthrow planting bombs and the Usmash leaving Tails vulnerable in front. I really did like all the StF and Sonic Battle references I saw, just wanted to expand on it a bit.

Anyways the shields can all have some funny effects. Like flame shield having a very fast roll, lightning shield reflecting projectiles on certain frames(Like right when it comes out), or flickies even damaging opponents on powershield.

They also obviously have to be invulnerable to their specific types. Like dodging Pika's thunder or Bowser's flame breath lul.
Well, the ideas are really good and in-depth, but some of them are so much so that I don't know of their possibility.

If the shields have no invul and switch elements instead, how would the fire shield have faster dodges? The rest make sense; I'll see if I can put them in.

Oh, and one more thing--I think you forgot to mention tilts.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Yeah I didn't do a full moveset. Its hard to see whats feasible already so I held back on doing everything in one go.

The shields would switch through spot dodging, and the fire shield would only have a fast roll. So the functions can still co-exist. Maybe I'll take a look through PSA sometime, its not like Tails can't be changed later once more functions and things become available.

Iunno though, sometime I'll contribute whatever I think of for tilts and other moves. I wish I could help with animations, I used to work with far worse editors in Fighter Maker <_<;, but my free time is fairly limited. v.v

Good work taking Tails this far. I already like how he pulls so many different things out like hammers, guns, magic hands, boxing gloves etc. Its good to see that those games are actually acknowledged.

Top Bottom