• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tails the fox has arrived! (Video up!)

Mr.Weegee

Smash Ace
Yeah I didn't do a full moveset. Its hard to see whats feasible already so I held back on doing everything in one go.

The shields would switch through spot dodging, and the fire shield would only have a fast roll. So the functions can still co-exist. Maybe I'll take a look through PSA sometime, its not like Tails can't be changed later once more functions and things become available.

Iunno though, sometime I'll contribute whatever I think of for tilts and other moves. I wish I could help with animations, I used to work with far worse editors in Fighter Maker <_<;, but my free time is fairly limited. v.v

Good work taking Tails this far. I already like how he pulls so many different things out like hammers, guns, magic hands, boxing gloves etc. Its good to see that those games are actually acknowledged.
Well, if you give me complete ideas for the shield, I'd love to give that to Tails. By the way, what game does that come from?

I'll also take some other ideas, if I can make them.

making sure you saw this ^^
omg thats awsome!
O_O HOLY...!!!! That is f*cking AMAZING! You, sir (Piks), are a texturing GOD!
That...is...awesome! Too bad I'm not using his head from GHZ...

And does anyone know of what looks like a weapon that Tails would be assembling rapidly (and is pointed forward)?

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Well, if you give me complete ideas for the shield, I'd love to give that to Tails. By the way, what game does that come from?
The elemental shields are from S3K, but he also has shield bots in Sonic Chronicles.

Anyways the elements could be:

Fire Shield: Has a quick flaming roll. No invul, but is pretty fast with a decent amount of cooldown.

Electric shield: Reflects projectiles first few frames it comes up. Slow roll.

Flickies Shield: Has a constant hitbox covering Tails but disappears when it hits(So if something clanks its gone). Rare shield(If random switch, otherwise this shield simply depletes the fastest.) No Roll.

Normal Barrier: Regular green barrier that blocks attacks. No roll.

Spot dodging will switch the shields but has no invul. The shields will either switch randomly, or cycle through a pattern. Flickies shield should deplete the fastest, and maybe make it so he can't jump out of shield like Yoshi as well.

Fire and electric could also be immune to their respective elements too if possible.

Yoshara

Smash Lord
You do realize that removing his sidestep would mean that he has no real defence against grabs, and removing invincibility frames from his roll dodges makes them stupidly unsafe.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
You do realize that removing his sidestep would mean that he has no real defence against grabs, and removing invincibility frames from his roll dodges makes them stupidly unsafe.
Everyone has a defense against grabs. Just stay out of grab range. If someone waited for your spotdodge all day then what good is that defense? The difference with Tails will just be that they have to deal with his variety of shields instead.

The lack of invul doesn't make them stupidly unsafe, it just means you'll have to use it in different situations for it to be safe. The flame shield will be fast, thats already a huge pro for moving around.

I don't think its that big a cripple, it just makes him different and tricky. It won't serve all the same purposes of other shields, but when used right can have fun rewards with it.

TommoPuppy

Smash Lord
NNID
Tommohawk
Nah. I'm with Yoshara on this one. It's things like this that make characters like Megaman Volnutt to use (particularly with the Wii remote) in TvC. It's not a good idea to mess with Tails' mechanics that much.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
What was wrong with Megaman in TvC? He was pretty fun and intuitive to me.

Weapon changing made him more flexible and was the main way he got good damage output.

Defensive options are overrated, and specifically spot-dodge and rolling towards your opponent aren't that reliable.

But either way, whatever goes. I just figured the different shields were a decent way to make him more interesting while adding some simple games to his bombs. If anything, the lightning shield can keep its roll invul. Same with the green barrier.

Yoshara

Smash Lord
You have to realize that rolling, even with invincibility frames, is a bad idea because of how easily it can be punished (ie; I roll away, Marth just dashes foward and uses dancing blade), and removing it's invince frames just makes it even more punishable.

P.S. I would post something about spotdodges, but I can't seem to find the thread that states why spotdodges are so good, but for right now I will just say that Yoshi would pretty much have no reliable defensive options without spotdoge.

TommoPuppy

Smash Lord
NNID
Tommohawk
I forgot to say awkward as in "Megaman Volnutt is awkward to use" XD. I accidentally my post. And seriously, if you're playing with the Wii Remote he only has one attack button and the other cycles his weapons. He's only really playable with the traditional GC, CC and arcade stick controllers and even then he's often considered to be hard to use, from what I've heard anyway.

But seriously, you do have to take into account that different players have different play styles, and just because you don't use rolling dodges it doesn't mean that removing/nerfing them from Tails is a good idea. I myself am heavily reliant on rolling dodges because of how my friends play. I'm not just speaking for myself though. It's seriously not a feasible idea to remove the dodges.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
You have to realize that rolling, even with invincibility frames, is a bad idea because of how easily it can be punished (ie; I roll away, Marth just dashes foward and uses dancing blade), and removing it's invince frames just makes it even more punishable.

P.S. I would post something about spotdodges, but I can't seem to find the thread that states why spotdodges are so good, but for right now I will just say that Yoshi would pretty much have no reliable defensive options without spotdoge.
If you roll away with the fast fire shield Marth probably wouldn't have time to catch you.

As for spotdodges, they might be good but they shouldn't be heavily relied on and it isn't gamebreaking to remove them. Yoshi's needs spotdodge because he doesn't have many other options OOS at all. Tails actually could have OOS options if we wanted. Especially considering he would have 4 different ones.

Anyways add invul if you want. The shields can still retain their functions with invul.

Yoshara

Smash Lord
As for spotdodges, they might be good but they shouldn't be heavily relied on and it isn't gamebreaking to remove them. Yoshi's needs spotdodge because he doesn't have many other options OOS at all. Tails actually could have OOS options if we wanted. Especially considering he would have 4 different ones.
First, over relying on anything is a bad idea, which is why he should retain the spotdodge, so he can have more defensive options, instead of just shield (and consequently, OOS), and roll dodge. Just changing/removing options to make him more "tricky" will only hinder him (ie; Megaman in TvC may be tricky thanks to his weapons change, but that doesn't make him good).

P.S. I actually like the whole planned move set, it is just that removing spotdodges for a mechanic that makes him rely on his rolldodges more is just a bad idea (seeing as rolls in the first place are easily punishable due to their predictable movement).

Mr.Weegee

Smash Ace
Okay, so removing spotdodges aren't good.

Maybe you could switch with an unrelated button, like down on the D-pad?

Mr.Weegee

Smash Ace
Um, the Donkey Kong Country cannons in Subspace Emisarry?
Can I haz pic plz?

The shield idea sounds very cool, so I guess even if its the down on the d-pad, it's still a great idea. You think you're gonna pull it off weegee?
I might be able to do it.

But does anyone know of something that looks like a Flicky?

Actually, maybe that bird that comes out of a Ticken when it dies. If so, can someone give me the model, or maybe I'll look myself...

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I don't understand any of this, nor do I ever plan on trying to. I was just curious as to what the heck his D-tilt, and U-tilt were supposed to be.. and why they looked like they'd never land. Actually, a lot of his moveset looks like it would never land.

Only thing I really have to add to this, is that it seems people are trying too hard to think of a moveset for a character that in all reality, would be fairly similar to Sonic if he was actually in the game. There's a lot of neat ideas, but it would just seem easier, and more practical to keep certain moves the same/similar as it is on Sonic's moveset.

Special moves (besides a spindash) seem like they could/should be changed up, but more basic moves like dash attack seem like they should just be kept the same/slightly changed. Example: the third hit on jab. It's different, but similar. Although I honestly have no idea what the heck he's hitting him with. The point is, that it's a simple noticeable change that makes enough of a difference between the two.

With all that said, just wanted to say that I'm not trying to say any of the things that have been done so far are bad. I'm actually quite excited that Tails in Brawl is somewhat possible. Good luck with all of this crazy stuff that I'll never understand. I look forward to using Tails regardless of which way you all decide to go with his moveset.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I was thinking if Tails' down-b was going to be similar to Sonic's, it could be weaker and have multiple hitboxes. So basically it shreds them up as he passes by them.

I don't think there's much reason to keep Tails all that similar. I mean, Luigi isn't very similar to Mario at all.

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
Wow Weegee, this could be very helpful.
ok ive been messing around with this but since idk what im really doing even though i got the model and textures to show in brawlbox it freezes, can someone port it to sonic?

Mr.Weegee

Smash Ace
I did port him over to Sonic.

And I think I've said it a lot of times...it didn't work.

Well, it didn't freeze, but something terrible happened.

Mr.Weegee

Smash Ace
i didn't know it was the same thing that they did, sorry
It's okay.
What is something terrible? Anyways why not keep it over pikachu so you can have sonic actually go up against tails?
Think of a pair of feet...running around the stage where Sonic should be.

Then Tails' body is in the middle of the stage, except for his chest and feet. It's facing the screen and is doing the animations that he should be doing (like falling if the shoes are, walking) but stuck to the center of the stage.

Instead of his chest, there's a giant line running from that area to slightly above his feet.

There are frequent flashes of splatted texture all over the screen.

I don't know if hitboxes connect at all.

InTrepidCognito

Smash Ace
Think of a pair of feet...running around the stage where Sonic should be.

Then Tails' body is in the middle of the stage, except for his chest and feet. It's facing the screen and is doing the animations that he should be doing (like falling if the shoes are, walking) but stuck to the center of the stage.

Instead of his chest, there's a giant line running from that area to slightly above his feet.

There are frequent flashes of splatted texture all over the screen.
I don't know if I'll sleep well tonight.

Dr.MarioX

Smash Apprentice
This looks great so far, my friend. I will download when completion comes.

I can't believe hacking has gone this far- we might as well make SSB4 ourselves. Haha.

Matteron

Smash Ace
Actually, that happened after I added bones.
No, what I meant is add more bones than it actually needs, for example, pikachu needs 40 bones to be replaced, the first time I only added 26 bones(started with 14) and it either froze or did weird things, the next time I added 15 more and it worked.

Mr.Weegee

Smash Ace
why did you get rid of the beta u tilt? it was good.
A lot of people didn't like it.
Oh and do you still need a vertex hacker? i might be able to do it :)
Yes! If you still wanna do it, you can. I think I gave you the beta, did I?
This looks great so far, my friend. I will download when completion comes.

I can't believe hacking has gone this far- we might as well make SSB4 ourselves. Haha.
And then compare it to Nintendo's. XD
No, what I meant is add more bones than it actually needs, for example, pikachu needs 40 bones to be replaced, the first time I only added 26 bones(started with 14) and it either froze or did weird things, the next time I added 15 more and it worked.
Hm...that might work!

Top Bottom