• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Australia - Lain/Oats/Havok/Hall Fan Club (July 2 - July 26)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Well here you go guys (Whoops I lied it's $1199):
V-Australia: http://www.vaustralia.com.au/

Delta will soon launch a service to LAX as well.

ALSO: IMPORTANT U.S. CUSTOMS INFORMATION REGARDING TRAVEL TO THE UNITED STATES
- From January 1 2009 or something, you have to go online to the US Department of Homeland Security to fill a survey before you board your plane. It'll basically ask if youre a terrorist or make bombs, etc, and give you a response saying if you're permitted or not. Print that out and bring it to the airport on check-in.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Don't worry, there's be tons sales later. Once Delta launches as well, they'll be so many seats the price will drop down massively. But it's always good to get them early

Dekar289

Smash Hero
you obviously haven't read his username
dbz OWNZ, see
his username says so
so it ownz
with a 0 and a z
0WNZ
dbz !!!0WNZ!!!

lol dbz

Myst Walker

Smash Apprentice
Coo, time to start being fiscally conservative and save for this!

*blows his savings on boxing day shopping*

Woops. =o

Atlasmist

Smash Journeyman
IM IN!!! i have plenty of money to go to america twice horay for living at home not paying board and spending money on whatever is it you want!!!

Atlasmist

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry, there's be tons sales later. Once Delta launches as well, they'll be so many seats the price will drop down massively. But it's always good to get them early
cao have you booked your way there if so what company?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
You know, My Uni holidays end right on the weekend of this, then it's orientation week.

Hmmmm.

I'm going to very seriously consider coming to this tournament.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
So far I have

Myself, Luke, tedeth and perhaps Meteor who are like "yeah we'll prob go".

tedeth would not be apart of this planning supposibly, as he has family commitments. Meteor wants to do some cool crap too.

The idea is going there about 2 weeks before hand, preferably in EC. Road trip around to as many tournaments as possible while travelling west to get a good idea of how much we'll get MAYBE owned at Genesis, then meet up with CAO who instead of travelling horizontally is travelling vertically and sleep for a few days in LA.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
http://www.bookingwiz.com/

Pretty good website for comparing airfares.

I dunno what I might do. I won't go til about a week before the tournament, at which point I'll get in early, maybe travel with Caotic or something.

Not sure.

EDIT:

Also, what happened to these $1200 return flights?

The only flights I can find that come up in the range of $1200 are in US dollars.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The other day on TV I saw Flightcentre offering $1200 (1169 IIRC) return flights to Los Angeles, now on their website its $1600 ;\

I can't find anything under $1600 at this time.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You have selected a Return flight on Economy class, departing Sydney (Australia) flying to San Francisco (United States) on Saturday, 20 June 2009.

Please Note: Prices exclude all government taxes, levies and charges
Air China
Reference No. AUCA60494/3 from $1134*^

FlightCentre website is actually bugged. You click return and on the page it then says one way. If you then click one way, it will be a cheaper price, you go back to return and it says the previous pricing.

Air China seems to be doing pretty cheap flights. The difference between the 20/06 and 21/06 is $200.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
lol they are planning on a 3 day tourney and the first day is gonna just be friendly's all day or something.

unreon

Smash Ace
No way can I scrap up 1200 from my pockets after being on holidays the last four weeks T_T

I won't be able to make this CAO I'm super sorry! Go forth and say hi to Timmypoo if you sees him for me <3

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
STA Travel is offering RT to Los Angeles for $999. TOO BAD ITS MARCH ONLY!

But is good to see flight prices are plummeting all over the place. They've been at their lowest since 1992 and continue to keep plummeting. Once Delta launches Sydney-LAX, prices will stay low.

It would be worth searching for flights to SFO but obviously that'll cost a bit more. It might be worth it though if you want to skip LA all together.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Yeah, they already are, although savings aren't as extreme as those found in VIC/QLD. 2 airports > 1.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
There's multiple options:

A) Fly to LAX then hitch ride from SoCal Smashers to go up to NorCal and split the gas. There's probably going to be 100 SoCalians going up to NorCal for the event, so chances are Aussies can get rides. I know I'll be getting rides without even asking, haha. Splitting gas that far is usually $20USD one way, if a car is full. Driving straight through the I-5 takes about 8 hours. Taking the sexy California-101 will be double that, but worth its fun in sights.

B) Catch the Greyhound/similar ghetto bus to San Francisco. One way is usually about $30USD.

C) Flying from LAX to SFO is most convenient way to get there. Usually Virgin Atlantic is the cheapest, but check Yahoo Farechase - you could find something cheaper. One way between LAX and SFO is usally $70USD. The flight takes about an hour.

SFO may not be the cheapest airport to Genesis either. You might want to try flying to Oakland International (the closest) or San Jose International (not recommended due to distance). You might even not need to fly out of LAX, as there are genrally cheaper airports in SoCal (Long Beach/John Wayne/Ontario etc.)

I know way too much about traveling.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
$1589 is still really cheap compared to historical prices of $1700-$2200.

Here's a good option from SoCal to SF:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-airlines28-2009jan28,0,728910.story

I have a rough itinerary sketched out, although it's highly susceptible to being borked by numerous other plans I have that may or may not happen around the same time:

July 2-5 - Anime Expo (AX), Los Angeles Convention Center (plus Independence Day!)
July 6-10 - Las Vegas and Utah trip (I;ll be doing this on my own)
July 11-13 - Genesis (won't attend friendly day)
July 14 - Connect to Europe

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I'm glad you're keeping up with this.
A $1200 return fare would seal the deal rofl.

Waiting for Delta might be waiting too long?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Yeah, especailly since V-Australia's launch got held back by a Boeing strike. It's a little too optimistic to think Delta will open in time for the tournament. I'll keep on looking out for sale fares and post it here as soon as it's released. I'm personally comfortable with anything up to $1600.

sidefx

Smash Champion
just a heads up to everyone:

were gonna have our Genesis forums up (hopefully by today, or tomorrow) with all the info and questions you guys need answered, as well as a regional forum to better organize flights, rides, housing, etc.

we are also planning on having regional crews, and either first pools for teams or singles on friday. ( the friendly day)

so try and make it on friday too! =D

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
KRudd said:
Bonus payments

The $12.7 billion cash payments will include one-off bonus payments of $950 each for low- and middle-income households and individuals through five bonuses to be paid in the next few weeks through either the Australian Tax Office or Centrelink.

It means 8.7 million workers earning $100,000 or less will receive a lump sum payment of $950 each from April.
Spend this money in America KTHX.

tkls

Smash Apprentice
so, how many aussies are actually seriously thinking of going to this? I am a near definate.

tkls

Smash Apprentice
im thinking about joining the smash bus. week long road trip ftw. whole trip should be relatively cheap too if we can get free housing

Top Bottom