• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That's Right! Meowth for Smash Bros! UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, I like the idea of Meowth using coins for some moves... kinda like how Pikachu uses electricity for some moves. I mean, Pikachu's body releases electricity but in some Pokemon spin-off games like Pokemon Pinball, Meowth's body releases coins whenever it gets attacked. Meowth wasn't even trying to use Pay Day, it just happened to drop coins whenever it gets hit with a Pokeball.

There are at least three variations of Pay Day as depicted in the games. First variation is the original Pay Day as a simple projectile like in the Pokemon games. Second variation is the Pay Day as portrayed in Smash 64 (Meowth's body scatters coins everywhere). Third variation is the Pay Day as shown in Brawl (Meowth throwing hundreds of coins).

I was thinking that Meowth's neutral aerial move could be Meowth quickly throwing coins around his body like Smash 64 version. Also the Smash 64 version could be Meowth's down special move as a counterattack - based on Payback.

Meowth is known as the Scratchcat Pokemon. Naturally Meowth should be able to scratch in various ways for some other moves. I like the idea of Meowth's side special move as Fury Swipes where Meowth strings together a sequence of scratches (like Marth's side special). I think Meowth's running attack could be Meowth doing a quick horizontal slash... kinda like the scratching animation shown in Go! Go! Kokopolo!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Shouldn't the title be "Meowth, that's right!"

Bing

Smash Master
Meowth's final smash:

Meowth throws a smoke bomb at the opponents feet.(They obviously need to be within a certain range) Now the smoke clears in a few seconds and you see Team Rocket. They perform their motto. During this time the opponent is slowed down and slowly takes damage(Like the flower thing) during this time Meowth is free to attack the opponent but when the motto ends meowth is automatically sent infront of Team Rocket to do his signature "Meowth, thats right!"

This is swag.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I always pictured Meowth as a wingless Meta Knight where he uses claws to scratch like how Meta Knight uses his sword. Cats are known to be nimble so it fits Meowth.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Sees topic, starts to rageface

stops a second and thinks

now loves idea.

I mean, pika and jiggly made it in out of pure popularity. Meowth is still the face of PKMN's comedy relief (I think). I think it'd be cool. As long as Charizard is still in, and Mewtwo comes back. Priorities, now.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
Sees topic, starts to rageface

stops a second and thinks

now loves idea.

I mean, pika and jiggly made it in out of pure popularity. Meowth is still the face of PKMN's comedy relief (I think). I think it'd be cool. As long as Charizard is still in, and Mewtwo comes back. Priorities, now.
I will never understand out of all the other 150 pokemon they could have added to pikachu they chose jiggly puff.

But yeah meowth is pretty cool. I think I would rather have him as a part of a pokemon squad though. TEAM ROCKET!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Team Rocket, you say? :awesome:

I had this idea where Meowth would be paired with Arbok and Weezing... and you switch between the Poison-types with Down B a la Pokemon Trainer's Down B. Meowth could act as Arbok's and Weezing's limbs to get around the "no limbs = no get in" rule while the Poison-types would provide Meowth support via special moves.

:052: :024: team
:052: :110: team

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman

I had this idea where Meowth would be paired with Arbok and Weezing... and you switch between the Poison-types with Down B a la Pokemon Trainer's Down B. Meowth could act as Arbok's and Weezing's limbs to get around the "no limbs = no get in" rule while the Poison-types would provide Meowth support via special moves.

Thats a solid idea. So its mainly meowth, but like neutral specials are the partner? So almost like ice climbers, where the other enhances meowth?

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Learn to type.
And Ice Climbers could only hit with there hammers.

I'm worried about all the awesome characters that are part of a series Sakurai doesn't want to put to many characters in. :( Meowth is an exemple,he has "rivals".

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
sorry I typed that with one hand with my eyes closed

lol @ sakurai not wanting pokemon in smash... you realize that it's the most over represented series in all of smash right? (Not like this is a bad thing)

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Oh,okay.

And I meant Sakurai doesn't want to over represent even more some series,it was fine for brawl,but now...one,max. two characters can be added to Pokemon

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I will never understand out of all the other 150 pokemon they could have added to pikachu they chose jiggly puff.
as i understand it, it was because she was similar to kirby so it was easier to turn kirby into jigglypuff than make a new character from scratch

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah. Kirby and Jigglypuff seemed to have most of the same A moves in Smash 64.

I was thinking that for the Team Rocket idea... Meowth would run around with the Poison-type Pokemon following behind. We are unable to attack the Poison-types as they are intangible but they would provide Meowth with different abilities depending on which Poison-type Pokemon is out with him.

If Meowth is with Arbok, maybe the double jump would be an extra high jump when Meowth rides on Arbok like the snake in Donkey Kong Country 2. If Meowth is with Weezing, maybe the double jump would be replaced with floating like when Kirby and Jigglypuff float as Meowth rides on Weezing.

:052: :024: If Meowth is with Arbok, maybe the specials would be like this:

Neutral B - Swallow
Arbok bites the opponent and then swallows them. The snake then spits out the opponent. This special move is based on Bite, Swallow, Stockpile, and Spit Up. The closest analogy would be Wario's Neutral B.

Side B - Glare
Arbok's face on its body glows and paralyzes the opponent for a second. The closest analogy would be Mewtwo's Down B in Melee.

Up B - Wrap
Arbok lunges upward and quickly wraps around an opponent and then spins the opponent like a top as it continues going upward. The closest analogy would be Captain Falcon's Up B move.

:052: :110: If Meowth is with Weezing, maybe the specials would be like this.

Neutral B - Smog
Weezing floats in place and releases smog from its body. It is exactly what Weezing did in Melee. The closest analogy would be Ivysaur's Neutral B move.

Side B - Poison Gas
Meowth runs with Weezing floating behind. Weezing releases poison gas from its body as it follows Meowth. The poison gas is purple and it can hurt the opponents when they are touching the poison gas. The closest analogy would be the Smoke Ball item.

Up B - Sludge
Weezing spits sludge from its mouth in an arc. This is not a recovery move as Weezing would already provide Meowth the ability to float like Jigglypuff. The closest analogy would be Yoshi's Up B move.

:052:

Final Smash - Pay Day
Regardless of the Poison-type Pokemon, Meowth will do his Pay Day move. This is based on what Meowth did in Brawl except Meowth can run and jump around while throwing coins.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
WISE FWOM OOR GWAVE!

Pokemon has a much wider choice of potential characters than most franchises due to the fact that the player characters and the foes are one and the same.

Meowth has the advantage of being the only Gen 1 pokemon character to still be in the anime so he has recognisabilty on his side.

jigglover

Smash Lord
/\ Does Pikachu not count?

Anyway, about the excuse of pay day, in an episode of the anime (maybe more, I haven't watched any recently,) Jessie and James pretend that Meowth can use Pay Day by letting him fire/throw James' bottle-caps. The one where thy pose as proper thieves and try to steal a trophy from a mansion.

One thing that worries me is that there has been no recognition of the anime in smash; it's not got anything to do with nintendo are any of it's 2nd party producers, some anime company just bought the rights of Pokemon and took it from there. Nintendo gets no money or anything.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
/\ Does Pikachu not count?

Anyway, about the excuse of pay day, in an episode of the anime (maybe more, I haven't watched any recently,) Jessie and James pretend that Meowth can use Pay Day by letting him fire/throw James' bottle-caps. The one where thy pose as proper thieves and try to steal a trophy from a mansion.

One thing that worries me is that there has been no recognition of the anime in smash; it's not got anything to do with nintendo are any of it's 2nd party producers, some anime company just bought the rights of Pokemon and took it from there. Nintendo gets no money or anything.
Not entirely the case. The whole idea of Pokemon saying their names instead of grunting and squeaking and the Misty trophy in Melee is based off her anime attire. And I'm not sure licensing works like that.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well, the Pokemon company owns the rights to the English dub and TPC is probably a subsidiary of Gamefreak.

D

Deleted member

You're right, let's add Clefairy while we're at it. It wouldn't be any more wierd than adding a Retro. :troll:

jigglover

Smash Lord
The fact that he was apparently planned (I know it's speculation, not saying it's true,) for smash 64 does help him, also, no one can deny that he is a mascot of the anime.
Golden, don't start getting sarcastic on me! :troll:

D

Deleted member

When you say "apparently", it implies that it has happened.

There is no legitimate proof whatsoever that Meowth was planned for 64. The only ones that there is undeniable proof for is Dedede, Mewtwo, and Bowser, as Sakurai directly says that in the pre-Melee poll.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I know that, I think I might have put something in brackets that you missed in the above post I did.

Edit: I just looked up apparently on the online dictionary and thought it meant something slightly different, anyway, I didn't mean to say apparently since I know it's not true.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945

Make it happen Sakurai.

:phone:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Guybrush20X6 used Revive.

I wonder if how much hate Meowth would get if he got in but Mewtwo didn't. Like Lucario

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
People need to realize that Meowth was never actually planned for Smash 64 (at least as far as we know). It was a rumor, but anyone can create a rumor. I could make a rumor right now that King K. Rool was planned for Smash 64 and people would believe me and use it to support him (not that he needs any support). The only characters we know were planned are Bowser, Mewtwo and King Dedede.

Anyway, Meowth's time has long passed, unfortunately, as cool of a character I think he would be.

D

Deleted member

People need to realize that Meowth was never actually planned for Smash 64 (at least as far as we know). It was a rumor, but anyone can create a rumor. I could make a rumor right now that King K. Rool was planned for Smash 64 and people would believe me and use it to support him (not that he needs any support). The only characters we know were planned are Bowser, Mewtwo and King Dedede.

Anyway, Meowth's time has long passed, unfortunately, as cool of a character I think he would be.
This.

I actually tried to test this by editing that not-so good Smash Wiki (the one with blue background) by adding Metal Mario to the list of planned characters (which strangely, without a source, they added Wario to the list...)
And they kept getting rid of it since they "knew" it was false and there is no source. :laugh:
Then I kept trying to remove Pit, Peach, Meowth, and Wario from the list, and they kept bringing them back despite no sources.

I mean, literally, the only ones we know are Bowser, Dedede, and Mewtwo, which Sakurai outright states. And possibly Wolf, who unlike the other 4, actually has a potential source that someone claims to be an older issue of Famitsu.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, the other one with the ssbwki.com domain is much more reliable.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I use this smash wiki: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Main_Page I mean, it makes more sense. The other one is difficult to navigate. I had this whole thing written up about what you did, it took about 10 minutes, but when I went to post it, the internet died... Basically, it talked about rumours about Peach, Pit, Meowth and Wario, I talked about your experiment (which I think is really good and funny!) And then talked about star Fox's history connected to Wolf and (briefly) Falco. It was impressive! :p

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I prefer ssbwiki too but for the longest time typing in smash wiki into googl brought up the other one.

Well even if Meowth was planned for Smash 64 he still has some potential and he has recognisability on his side.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Surprised this thread got bumped after a few months.

Who else still wants to play as Meowth in a Smash game regardless of relevancy/recentness issues? I still do! :awesome:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
When people say that "relevancy" and "recentness" are good reasons to support characters, they need to think twice and look at the Ice Climbers...

Meowth may be very unlikely, but who knows? Maybe they can surprise us somehow... all possibilities, now matter how absurd or unlikely, are to be considered. I mean, who saw Snake coming in Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom