• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That's Right! Meowth for Smash Bros! UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ever since I started playing some Neo Geo games on Virtual Console, they gave me some ideas for potential Smash newcomers. And well, I think Meowth's playstyle could be based on Cham Cham's playstyle in Samurai Shodown II. Just picture her boomerang is Meowth's Pay Day... but her playstyle involves a lot of scratching and Meowth is known as the Scratch Cat Pokemon. I think this could work in Smash... what do you think, KumaOso? Anyone?

Groose

Smash Champion
Meowth's chances are pretty slim for this game. And it's a real shame, too. He could have a good (though not truly exceptional) moveset and he'd fit in very well, bringing a new aspect to the Pokemon section of the character roster.

As an avid supporter of Meowth for Brawl, I now consider this a bit of a helpless cause. Meowth is, I believe, still a major part of the anime, but he just isn't as important to the Pokemon franchise as he once was. His odds have decreased after every Smash miss. I'd still love to see him, but I just don't see it happening.

In a happier world, Meowth would have gotten in over Jigglypuff in the original Smash, and would be a three-time, essential veteran by now.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Thanks for bumping this thread! NOW, could Meowth be like Cham Cham from Samurai Shodown II? The video is posted in my previous post here.... by the way, Cham Cham is the green-haired catgirl in the video.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Thanks for bumping this thread! NOW, could Meowth be like Cham Cham from Samurai Shodown II? The video is posted in my previous post here.... by the way, Cham Cham is the green-haired catgirl in the video.
He could have some elements that would be like her's, but he would have some unique ones too since he does walk on 2 legs.

Groose

Smash Champion
He could have some elements that would be like her's, but he would have some unique ones too since he does walk on 2 legs.
I see Meowth as being a devious, sneaky character who's light on his feet. Not much KO potential, but definitely good for racking up the damage.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I want Meowth! As long as he is represented alongside Team Rocket.

My idea is that Meowth would be in the foreground, and Team Rocket in the background (like Pokemon Trainer) except when certain attacks are made that involve Jesse and James.

Moveset time!

B: Pay Day
B>: Triple Bycicle (Meowth, Jesse and James hop on a 3-seat bycycle and pedal forward. They ram opponents but can't turn)
B^: Weezing - James summons (a brief-er version of Melee's) Weezing to the exact location where Meowth was at the moment.
Bv: Arbok - Jesse summons Arbok to perform a wrap attack on nearest opponent. If misses, he vanishes.

AAA: Scratch, Tail Whip, Bite
Tilt FWD: Headbutt
Tilt UP: Jump swipe (like a cat)
Tilt DWN: Mud Slap

Dash: Take Down (Meowth takes a bit of damage)

Fsmash: Slash
Dsmash: Double Edge (Powerful smash attack, but Meowth takes damage)
Usmash: Aerial Ace

Nair: Swift
Fair: Fury Swipes
Dair: Body Slam
Bair: Cut
Uair: Faint Attack

Final Smash: Gyarados.
James fishes out/releases (from a pokeball) a Magikarp, gets mad at it and kicks it away. This Magikarp evolves into Gyarados and performs Dragon Rage (fiery ground shockwave that KO's instantly)

Taunt1 :
Jesse: Prepare for trouble!
James: Make it double!
Meowth: Not now, guys!

Taunt2:
Meowth acts all cat-like, licking his paw.

Taunt3:
Usual Meowth pose, and his forehead coin pulls a lens flare.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
If Meowth was added I'd like the real Meowth, and not the silly thing in the anime, where he can talk and all. But I do concede that's the only plausible chance he has for getting in as well... Would just feel silly.

SmashKing201

Smash Journeyman
The dream of having the first 8 seconds of the Team Rocket theme play as Meowth's victory theme still lives. Lol

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wow, someone got their hands on a Max revive.

One idea I heard for Meowth was th have his A attacks be Pokemon moves but for his B attacks he uses other Pokemon.

For example. For his B attack he uses Weezing to spout toxic gas, His B side is an Arbok tether and his B-Down Drops Wobuffet onto the stage.

Groose

Smash Champion
Wow, someone got their hands on a Max revive.

One idea I heard for Meowth was th have his A attacks be Pokemon moves but for his B attacks he uses other Pokemon.

For example. For his B attack he uses Weezing to spout toxic gas, His B side is an Arbok tether and his B-Down Drops Wobuffet onto the stage.
I think this would actually work rather well.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The dream of having the first 8 seconds of the Team Rocket theme play as Meowth's victory theme still lives. Lol
A playable Meowth with or without Team Rocket is my dream... the Team Rocket motto would be perfect for Meowth's entrance... imagine starting the match, and then you see Jessie and James saying "Prepare for trouble! Make it double!" and then Meowth appears and yells "Meowth! And it would be fun to see Team Rocket following Pikachu and Pokémon Trainer Red in the Adventure Mode a la Pokémon Yellow.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wonder if Meowth is more relevant and/or popular in Japan than in the West... Japan usually receive Meowth as a distributed Event Pokémon during the 3rd gen, 4th gen, and 5th gen.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Yes... Meowth would be so much better than Jiggly.. but Sakurai won't kick her out IMO. Well, Here's to our favorite under-represented feline!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
There was a Meowth thread this whole time and I didn't even know.

Meowth is basically the only Pokemon aside from maybe Mewtwo I've ever wanted in Smash.

If we're mixing up the Meowth(Meowth Mix?) I'd like the representation from the Meowth Party game that never happened mixed with Team Rocket's Meowth;

I'd like him to have a aerial down a guitar smash for example, a custom "LOOKS LIKE TEAM ROCKET'S BLASTING OFF AGAIN" death chant when he flies off the screen at high damage and THIS as his final smash:

This was one badass mecha.

Jessie and James can do their motto whilst he wrecks stuff if you like; the mecha is filled with rockets and of course it has powerful claw smashes. At the end, a huge explosion could blast anyone who happens to be near Meowth, with his mecha exploding and Meowth laying comically charred in the aftermath(he'd obviously be invincible for this animation)

Taunts would include strumming his guitar
Putting on the Meowth in Boots hat
Flipping a coin around like Doc Mario did with his pills.

Meowth is probably my biggest closet Smash dream, but I'm aware I've as much chance of someone like Piplup getting in.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ YoshiandToad

The Meowth in Meowth's Party IS Team Rocket Meowth. With that said, I want Smash Meowth to be a mix of Game Meowth, Anime Meowth, AND Pokeball Meowth.

Smash Meowth gets Fury Swipes (Side B), Faint Attack (Up B), Payback (Down B), Pay Day (Final Smash), and Amulet Coin (based on Pay Day animations) from Game Meowth.

Smash Meowth gets mannerisms, facial expressions, personality, and quotes from Anime Meowth.

Smash Meowth gets SSB64 Pay Day (Down B) and Brawl Pay Day (Final Smash) animations from Pokeball Meowth.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
@ YoshiandToad

The Meowth in Meowth's Party IS Team Rocket Meowth. With that said, I want Smash Meowth to be a mix of Game Meowth, Anime Meowth, AND Pokeball Meowth.

Smash Meowth gets Fury Swipes (Side B), Faint Attack (Up B), Payback (Down B), Pay Day (Final Smash), and Amulet Coin (based on Pay Day animations) from Game Meowth.

Smash Meowth gets mannerisms, facial expressions, personality, and quotes from Anime Meowth.

Smash Meowth gets SSB64 Pay Day (Down B) and Brawl Pay Day (Final Smash) animations from Pokeball Meowth.
Whoa, whoa, whoa....sir you just blew my mind.

Also yes I do agree with you; having some form of payday attack would be an absolute must as it is the most signature move the Meowth line has in the games.

I've changed my mind about Meowth in Boots being a taunt though:

Definately worthy of being one of his costumes I feel.

Honestly; since Smash 64 Meowth and Toad have been the only characters I've wanted that have yet to appear(Wario, Bowser and Diddy being the only other must haves). Whilst with each passing game Toad's chances increase(Mario is running out of usable reps), Meowth's decrease because another 200+ Pokemon have been added to the games.

It's sort of disheartening that someone who is basically the closest we have to a Pikachu rival or villain is never going to get in just because flavour of the gen Pokemon like Zoroark and Genesect are more requested. In six months time unless those Pokemon get Mega forms or Zoroark gets an evolution of sorts I swear they'll be as irrelevent as Pichu is, whilst Meowth is going to continue being relevent because the anime is going to last forever.

You know it is; Death, Taxes, Ash, Pikachu and Team Rocket are the only constant guarentees in this life.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sometimes I need reminders like this thread to recharge my Meowth support. :)

I had completely forgotten that, perhaps the sole reason we have a STAR-KO is its tributing factor to Team Rocket, (Of course this is a recurring anime gag first, Team Rocket tribute later)
So it struck me like a bolt of lightning when Yoshiandtoad said
a custom "LOOKS LIKE TEAM ROCKET'S BLASTING OFF AGAIN" death chant when he flies off the screen at high damage and THIS as his final smash:
It's genius, but that's because, IMO, that was supposed to be the parody, back in the original SSB when Pokemon anime was still hot.

So if Meowth got in... he should DEFINITELY yell that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would like for Meowth to be like a cross between Ice Climbers and Pokémon Trainer...

You play as Meowth... Arbok or Weezing follow behind Meowth, supporting Meowth... switch between Arbok or Weezing via Down B... Jessie and James stay in the background, taking turns sending out and retreating their Pokémon to help Meowth out.

It makes too much sense to me because it refers Team Rocket's motto:

Prepare for trouble!
Make it double!
To protect the world from devastation!
To unite all peoples within our nation!
To denounce the evils of truth and love!
To extend our reach to the stars above!
Jessie!
James!
Team Rocket, blast off at the speed of light!
Surrender now or prepare to fight!
Meowth! That's right!

See the bolded parts? Team Rocket is telling Smash characters to prepare for double trouble... because Meowth is entering a double battle with Arbok or Weezing against the Smash characters.

Cheesedork

Smash Apprentice
Meowth's chances are pretty slim for this game. And it's a real shame, too. He could have a good (though not truly exceptional) moveset and he'd fit in very well, bringing a new aspect to the Pokemon section of the character roster.

As an avid supporter of Meowth for Brawl, I now consider this a bit of a helpless cause. Meowth is, I believe, still a major part of the anime, but he just isn't as important to the Pokemon franchise as he once was. His odds have decreased after every Smash miss. I'd still love to see him, but I just don't see it happening.

In a happier world, Meowth would have gotten in over Jigglypuff in the original Smash, and would be a three-time, essential veteran by now.
I know this post is old, but I feel you've said it perfectly.
Still gonna cross my fingers, though.
Even if Gen 1 is already over-repped, Meowth deserves to be in more than 98% of other Pokemon (more than Jiggly and Lucario, IMHO).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Meowth's entrance has to be based on the anime. Team Rocket appear on the Meowth hot-air balloon. Jessie says "Prepare for trouble!" as she jumps to the background from the balloon... then James says "Make it double!" as he jumps to the background from the balloon... and then Meowth says "Meowth! That's right!" as he jumps to the stage from the balloon... and then the battle starts. Honestly, I think it's perfect for Smash! It would be more exciting than the generic "playable Pokémon comes out of the Pokeball" entrance.

And I want Meowth to scream "Looks like Team Rocket's blasting off again!" every time he is Star KO'd. I think this adds to the charm of a playable Meowth.

One of Meowth's taunts should have Meowth playing the red guitar from Meowth's Party (based on Meowth's Melee trophy). Of course, one of Meowth's victory poses should have Meowth playing the red guitar while Jessie and James dance behind him. Another victory pose should have Meowth being sandwiched by Jessie and James as they group hug him... I saw this in the anime a long time ago.

Actually, I think Smash Meowth's entrance, taunts, etc. could be based on Anime Meowth while his moveset are based on Game Meowth (the ability to use Pay Day unlike Anime Meowth) and Pokeball Meowth (SSB64 and Brawl).

Damn it... it will never happen because Sakurai is always about relevancy and flavors of the months when it comes to Pokémon... and a lot of people only want the same Pokémon from Melee/Brawl and no one else.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Ah Meowth. For some reason I always wondered why Jigglypuff made it in instead of him back in the Smash 64 days. Not that I hate Jigglypuff or anything, she's awesome.
I know this is an old post, but if you were really curious it is because she was filler. They looked for a character who could use similar animations as another character and they ultimately chose her and utilized some of kirby's animations. Plus Sakurai might have thought of her as the 'Joke' character of that game (Although she is extremely popular over there so that probably helps in her favor as well.)

Yams

Smash Journeyman
In my honest opinion, I consider him the most likely Pokemon rep after Mewtwo. He's one of the only essential Pokemon characters to not be playable.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
In my honest opinion, I consider him the most likely Pokemon rep after Mewtwo. He's one of the only essential Pokemon characters to not be playable.
Even over a new X and Y pokemon?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Can you class a new X or Y Pokemon as an "All Star" though? That's my problem with a Gen 6 rep. They'll just be new rather than having any sort of impact on the series in a meaningful way.

One of the reasons why I feel Gen 1 deserves to be repped more than the others is because it's had more of an impact than anything that came afterwards. Ash's team in the anime rotates constantly to show off some of the new Pokemon and advertise them, but most people are going to remember him having Charizard rather than Infernape, because that's what the majority of Pokemon fans or fad fans(those that were only into it because it was the in thing at the time) remember.

Meowth is well known, reoccuring, and always relevent, even if that relevency is due to the anime. He is far more recognised than Zoroark, Genesect, Smeargle, Blaziken or many of the other suggestions I keep hearing. Hell, even Lucario probably isn't as worldly reknown as Meowth.

People will always remember gen 1's Pokemon and that gen are fondly remembered for being the generation that grabbed the world by media storm.

I actually love gen 3 games more than gen 1, and Hoenn>Kanto in my opinion, but the characters in gen 1 are just more important.

Feel free to call me a Genwunner if you like, but them's the facts.

(I still don't think Meowth's likely, even if he's the third most deserving Pokemon after Pikachu and Mewtwo to be in Smash.)

Yams

Smash Journeyman
Also, if you give Mewtwo is Mega evolution, he is an allstar and represents 6th gen at the same time.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Can you class a new X or Y Pokemon as an "All Star" though? That's my problem with a Gen 6 rep. They'll just be new rather than having any sort of impact on the series in a meaningful way.

One of the reasons why I feel Gen 1 deserves to be repped more than the others is because it's had more of an impact than anything that came afterwards. Ash's team in the anime rotates constantly to show off some of the new Pokemon and advertise them, but most people are going to remember him having Charizard rather than Infernape, because that's what the majority of Pokemon fans or fad fans(those that were only into it because it was the in thing at the time) remember.

Meowth is well known, reoccuring, and always relevent, even if that relevency is due to the anime. He is far more recognised than Zoroark, Genesect, Smeargle, Blaziken or many of the other suggestions I keep hearing. Hell, even Lucario probably isn't as worldly reknown as Meowth.

People will always remember gen 1's Pokemon and that gen are fondly remembered for being the generation that grabbed the world by media storm.

I actually love gen 3 games more than gen 1, and Hoenn>Kanto in my opinion, but the characters in gen 1 are just more important.

Feel free to call me a Genwunner if you like, but them's the facts.

(I still don't think Meowth's likely, even if he's the third most deserving Pokemon after Pikachu and Mewtwo to be in Smash.)
Well by that logic all the fire emblem characters should replace the current reps ignoring the 9 previous games in the series and Lucas should be swapped for paula and ignore the other two games in the series. I get they are the most known/loved and they are the majority of pokemon reps, but it still doesn't make sense to disregard any other gen just because it wasn't there from day 1. (I am not saying what you say is wrong, I am just saying gens 2 through 6 shouldn't be counted out just yet.)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well by that logic all the fire emblem characters should replace the current reps ignoring the 9 previous games in the series and Lucas should be swapped for paula and ignore the other two games in the series. I get they are the most known/loved and they are the majority of pokemon reps, but it still doesn't make sense to disregard any other gen just because it wasn't there from day 1. (I am not saying what you say is wrong, I am just saying gens 2 through 6 shouldn't be counted out just yet.)
In Fire Emblems case; Marth, Roy and Ike have all represented Fire Emblem significantly in someway or another; Marth is the first lord, Roy was picked for individuality at the time(ironic since he became a clone) but his game was one of the best selling in Japan(see Chronobound's many talks for detail on Roy's impact on the series), Ike's games did really well in the west and I dare say Awakening will get one for saving the series from dying off.
But so far all these characters are main characters. They're all the protagonists of the games that shaped the series(even if Roy was a total gamble on Sakurai's part).

Same with Lucas being added instead of Paula. He is the protagonist, ergo he is the addition. I know it was popular and well recieved in Japan, but that's about as much as I can dabble in Mother.

Pokemon, however, doesn't have a protagonist Pokemon as such, and therefore seems to fall under different rules, at least judging from past games; Gen 1 getting more than the lions share of repping.

I dare say Lucario will be back. Pichu's also represented a generation. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Gen 5 or 6 get a newcomer too. I just can't call them all stars of Pokemon. They're just another face in 800 odd choices.

Of course, this is all redundant anyway since Gen 6 is getting reps even if it doesn't get a newcomer: Puff is part Fairy now, Mewtwo and/or Lucario will probably have their Mega Form, etc.

This all sounds a bit aggressive on my part, but I assure you I'm not trying to annoy you. I'm just pointing out that Pokemon 152 and onwards haven't shaped the franchise as much as the original 151. If Pokemon X and Y shape it outside of finally bringing 3D models to the games, I will happily welcome a gen 6 Pokemon.

That said;
MEOWTH FOR SMASH 4!

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
In Fire Emblems case; Marth, Roy and Ike have all represented Fire Emblem significantly in someway or another; Marth is the first lord, Roy was picked for individuality at the time(ironic since he became a clone) but his game was one of the best selling in Japan(see Chronobound's many talks for detail on Roy's impact on the series), Ike's games did really well in the west and I dare say Awakening will get one for saving the series from dying off.
But so far all these characters are main characters. They're all the protagonists of the games that shaped the series(even if Roy was a total gamble on Sakurai's part).

Same with Lucas being added instead of Paula. He is the protagonist, ergo he is the addition. I know it was popular and well recieved in Japan, but that's about as much as I can dabble in Mother.

Pokemon, however, doesn't have a protagonist Pokemon as such, and therefore seems to fall under different rules, at least judging from past games; Gen 1 getting more than the lions share of repping.

I dare say Lucario will be back. Pichu's also represented a generation. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Gen 5 or 6 get a newcomer too. I just can't call them all stars of Pokemon. They're just another face in 800 odd choices.

Of course, this is all redundant anyway since Gen 6 is getting reps even if it doesn't get a newcomer: Puff is part Fairy now, Mewtwo and/or Lucario will probably have their Mega Form, etc.

This all sounds a bit aggressive on my part, but I assure you I'm not trying to annoy you. I'm just pointing out that Pokemon 152 and onwards haven't shaped the franchise as much as the original 151. If Pokemon X and Y shape it outside of finally bringing 3D models to the games, I will happily welcome a gen 6 Pokemon.

That said;
MEOWTH FOR SMASH 4!
Well we will see. Doubt it is meowth, I see eevee is more possible than meowth, but we will see. Pokemon game show is happening as we speak... and guess who I heard is attending? Sakurai.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well we will see. Doubt it is meowth, I see eevee is more possible than meowth, but we will see. Pokemon game show is happening as we speak... and guess who I heard is attending? Sakurai.
tbh I doubt it'll be Meowth too. But hey, it's his thread. I'll remain positive for the scratchcat.

Sakurai's at the Pokemon show, eh? Things are gonna heat up in all the Pokemon threads now for sure. Come on October...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Even over a new X and Y pokemon?
Why don't we just add MegaMewtwo and Meowth?

MegaMewtwo kills two birds with one stone... you get Mewtwo back but he's revamped and improved over the Melee version and he's the 6th gen rep... while Meowth is added as the 1st gen newcomer.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Implying 6th gen is better than 1st?

You better be kidding.
I never said or implied gen 6 was better over gen 1 it is just gamefreak and the pokemon company have a large say on who makes it in/suggest who should be in to Sakurai. A lot of people like gen 1 the most for many reasons usually nostalgia and not being super impossible to collect all pokemon, but if you are saying gen 1 is better design wise I will have to disagree. I don't like the art style of gen 6 but the generations after gen 1 had some very interesting, creative, and unique designs. Gen 1 had a few amazing designs but some were pretty uncreative. (Oddish is a clear rip off of mandrakes, exeggcute/exeggutor, gastly is a ball of gas, muk/grimer, shellder is basically a clam, etc.) Don't get me wrong I love gen 1, but I am just saying Meowth getting in over a more recent pokemon? Not so sure. The pokemon roster has been fluid the last two Smashes so it may follow that trend again. It also seems unfair to give primary focus to only a few games in the series when the majority of games are from newer installments. Also judging on what Sakurai said on the matter of choosing pokemon gen 1 is not the only canidate for a playable character. So again I never said or implied gen 6 or any other gen is better to gen 1. Personally I like all the gens especially gen 1 for nostalgia and gen 5 because i skipped gen 4 and it was like starting pokemon for the first time again. (Also I see why gen 1 deserves more reps than the other gens, it still should not be the only repped gen (Assuming lucario gets cut.))

Why don't we just add MegaMewtwo and Meowth?

MegaMewtwo kills two birds with one stone... you get Mewtwo back but he's revamped and improved over the Melee version and he's the 6th gen rep... while Meowth is added as the 1st gen newcomer.

MegaMewtwo would fulfill the spot and Meowth is possible but if they feel MegaMewtwo/fairy jigglypuff are not enough representation of generation 6 then maybe we will get a totally different pokemon that no one is expecting. I'd say Eevee has about as much of a shot as meowth does at this point because eevee is one of the faces of pokemon (along with meowth) and Sylveon was one of the first revealed generation 6 pokemon. It would also bring an interesting mechanic like pokemon trainer but then again I don't see it as likely as a newer gen Pokemon. To be honest no one knows a single thing and it is all speculation. For all we know Unown are being added right now. (Okay we can be pretty sure that is not happening.)

On a side note the New Origins anime ova could influence things (Like having red/pokemon trainer stay.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom