• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ally Q/A ‘‘

etecoon

Smash Hero
yea, it's been a while since that's happened to me because I just started maining snake again but I'm pretty sure MK STILL has frame advantage if you tech it

wtf MK ._.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Halberd, just tech chase him.
That's where this thing called mix ups come in. He's not going to do the same thing over and over, sometimes he's going to tech, sometimes he's going to airdodge and sidestep/shield/attack. That's the point of having another option like teching, it makes it harder to react/predict...

etecoon

Smash Hero
wat, I've barely even posted in here, and my last post is definitely true MK has frame advantage against you out of dthrow no matter what you do at low/mid %, but what halberd said is also true, if you mix it up 99% of players out there won't react exactly right every time either

.decoy

Smash Ace
lol yeah i have heard of di.

i'm sorry i just couldn't believe that kaffei thought i was serious about teching a blastzone...

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
Having done a little research, I decided to second Snake as of last week. I've had trouble picking up him at first, but just yesterday, my brain ticked and I finally got the feel for how he plays. I've gotten the mortar slide pretty OK, still working on it though.

I am aware there are probably some guides on the boards about it, but I'd like advice from a pro. I want to know how you would recommend a new snake player to practice. Such as what moves I should learn before others, and what tactics are the basis of his offense/defense. I've gotten some of the basics down, but I'd love some recommendation to get me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks a lot!

RATED

Smash Lord
DI = Dinner Invitation,

It means ADHD took Ally to dinenr afterwards.
go try ur weak trolling to other thread, for that's social :)

ps: is nothing personal is just that maybe if we keep a bit of spam out of this thread we can get clearer and faster answers and that way people could find those questions and answers faster instead of asking the same question again.

napZzz

Smash Hero
why do you play doubles like you do? I never see you pull more than 3 nades, not even to save yourself from getting juggled by b reversing or something. Like at VC7, in the vids even when m2k is offstage and completely on the other side of the stage you dont even pull out a single nade just to protect yourself or try and hit one of the people coming at you.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
I don't think ally is still answering questions. It was good while it lasted but he didn't go in-depth as much as i would have liked but i guess he too busy making snake #2.
ally's been in transit from MI to montreal
the man is a globetrotter, cut him some slack
this^. it was more like MI to KS to TX to MI to Montreal, sooo gay stupid flights. I'm at school + super tired I'll probably start again tomorrow. sorry.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
this^. it was more like MI to KS to TX to MI to Montreal, sooo gay stupid flights. I'm at school + super tired I'll probably start again tomorrow. sorry.
Don't be sorry :D You are contributing and are helping the overall snake scene. I think I am safe to say that we all appreciate you doing this.

Don't be sorry :D You are contributing and are helping the overall snake scene. I think I am safe to say that we all appreciate you doing this.
Even if most of the questions you are being asked do not relate in any way to snake...
What Sinz said is 100% true :) Canada for the win!
Along with New Zealand and Australia!

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
Even if most of the questions you are being asked do not relate in any way to snake...
What Sinz said is 100% true :) Canada for the win!
Along with New Zealand and Australia!
Do we appreciate it?
Well, I don't know about you guys, but I've been waiting for ever for Ally to contribute.
<3 Ally!

Anyway, Ally I have a couple question.
1. In my free time......should I fight Lvl. 7 CPUs or go into to training and work on Techs and come up with new crap? (I do both of these)

2. What's the next tourney your attending?

3. What ever it is could you try to save ALL of your matches against the GOOD players?

Is there any tricks that you use to help you Tech Chase?

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
Alright, I have a question for Ally that he should know quiet well.

Please tell us in detail the rob vs snake match-up. I know you know I know that you know the match-up.
Heh basically rob will try to camp you.

1. throw like 1 grenade, then try to approach.
2. if you dthrow rob. Only dthrow chase if he stands up, if he rolls behind, dont risk it, just ftilt, if he goes forward, just snake dash, watch out for the getup attack.

3. Try doing random BAIRS when he's flying around to recover.

I wont say more since I only played my bro and hehe he's my bro :p

can u please explain all the angles to properly DI right?

i mean going horizontally. and how would u DI if you just get hit straight up? and diagonally?

btw did you have fun at winterfest? that was a cool snake doll u had.....not so much for mk lol.

oh wait...are you gonna switch out snake for mk? ive been seeing alot of ur mk vids lately.

omg im so sorry for the Q's but can u give us some nade cooking tips please?
Straight = DI left or right. u cant get hit diagonally unless u saying the moves sends u diagonally, try U to down air to jump.

WF was kinda fail, though people were cool and all.

No I'm a Snake main and Falcon.

About cooking, it's now a habit, get used to the timing.

Ally, what's a good stage against DDD? I been thinking on Lylat or battlefield
No clue, I usually go on SV and camp on the platform or Frigate.

how do you play the marth match up?
I suck at it still, but I think you NEED to camp on one spot and react to what Marth approach is. You can shield a fair to snakedash sometimes or Utilt.

How should Snake be played in Doubles? Lets say with MK as your partner
No clue man, I usually play the support guy.

Ally how do I get as good as you?[/COLOR]
Get a better mindset, I think that's why I'm good.

im more so asking his mindset as to avoiding it; there is a difference. my mindset going into the mu is to trade damage, cause snake dies later, but if mk ignores you and tries to time you out, this strategy fails hard. so i wanted to know ally's mindset in regards to this.
i usually just try to kill him no matter what the time is, I just think I had to play safe enough and don't let MK camp on the platforms. I havent been timed out since though so I don't know.

Ally,

I have been looking online for videos of you playing a good marth and I have not been able to find any. I room with the best melee/brawl player in kentucky and he plays marth. I do not have that much trouble with Meta Knights, but I struggle with Marth allot. Do you have any quick pointers on fighting Marth as Snake?
Camp like I said up there.

is usmash to punish grabs or other moves just waste at pro lvl?
favourite stage? (overall)

what do you think is Snake's 5 most usefull moves?
Usmash isnt good for punish other than camp the edges

Fav stage is FD.

5 most useful are : Nade, Ftilt, Utilt, BAIR and grab imo.

Are there any situations where you would try to stick c4 onto someone?
on platforms or when I have a too big lead to lose so I just play with my opponent.

Ally, first of all, thanks for doing this for everyone.

Secondly, what are your preferred custom controls?
Tap button off, that's all XD

do each different snake costume colors have different h4xes?
yes the blue one is just ownage.

Ally how do you practice, and what in general do you work on?
I don't practice, but when I do play friendlies, I try to Smash DI practice lol.

Having done a little research, I decided to second Snake as of last week. I've had trouble picking up him at first, but just yesterday, my brain ticked and I finally got the feel for how he plays. I've gotten the mortar slide pretty OK, still working on it though.

I am aware there are probably some guides on the boards about it, but I'd like advice from a pro. I want to know how you would recommend a new snake player to practice. Such as what moves I should learn before others, and what tactics are the basis of his offense/defense. I've gotten some of the basics down, but I'd love some recommendation to get me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks a lot!
Try to get good at Dthrow'ing to a follow up (Ftilt, Snake Dash or another dthrow)

READ people's habit, it's one way to win.

Use the grenades to lure opponents.

the rest is up to your mind, you can do random fastfalling BAIRS if you are landing.

why do you play doubles like you do? I never see you pull more than 3 nades, not even to save yourself from getting juggled by b reversing or something. Like at VC7, in the vids even when m2k is offstage and completely on the other side of the stage you dont even pull out a single nade just to protect yourself or try and hit one of the people coming at you.
I don't want to blow up my teammate, if you noticed, when its a 2v1 and im the onlyh one standing, i start pulling nades and go to 1v1 mode.

How do you manage school and travelling all the time o_O
lucky me, I can bus back to Canada before School starts, like 5 hours before it, I guess it's determination lol.

Do we appreciate it?
Well, I don't know about you guys, but I've been waiting for ever for Ally to contribute.
<3 Ally!

Anyway, Ally I have a couple question.
1. In my free time......should I fight Lvl. 7 CPUs or go into to training and work on Techs and come up with new crap? (I do both of these)

2. What's the next tourney your attending?

3. What ever it is could you try to save ALL of your matches against the GOOD players?

Is there any tricks that you use to help you Tech Chase?
1. if you have the patience for it, sure, try to practice C4 into the stage tech at high %.

2. Next tourney is Keitaro 2 Return of Spammer in NJ 20 March, then Whobo2 then a canadian tourney then MLG.

3. I can't =( I got no recording stuff sadly.

4. nades XD it's mostly REACTION time, which I DO have a good one ^^

Man so many questions answered :laugh:

Navn

Smash Apprentice
Learn to tech-chase him. Snake can effectively chaingrab Toon-Link if he learns to react to TL's slow, short rolls and his bad getup attack. It's pretty easy to practise on a CPU. Just dthrow them and react when they do something. If people do nothing, resist the temptation of attacking them (unless you can kill with utilt), and just wait till they do something / are forced to getup by the game.

Also, i don't think Snake can outcamp him, so you'll have to approach.

Edit: Learn to powershield his projectiles. TL might have a pretty decent projectile game, but all of the projectiles are mad slow, so they should be easy to completely avoid when you are on the ground - which you want to be as much as possible.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
1. if you have the patience for it, sure, try to practice C4 into the stage tech at high %.

2. Next tourney is Keitaro 2 Return of Spammer in NJ 20 March, then Whobo2 then a canadian tourney then MLG.

3. I can't =( I got no recording stuff sadly.

4. nades XD it's mostly REACTION time, which I DO have a good one ^^

Man so many questions answered :laugh:
@ Ally!
Response:
1. I can already do this from 100% all the way to 249%.

3. No I mean so other can upload it for you. :)

4. K. I'll work on reaction time.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Reaction time is not something you can work on, its one of those things where either you're born good at it or born bad.

But what you can work on is prediction, you can react faster to things if you can predict right.

Reaction time is not something you can work on, its one of those things where either you're born good at it or born bad.

But what you can work on is prediction, you can react faster to things if you can predict right.
I beg to disagree somewhat. Reaction time seems to be something you can improve upon. I mean, I compare myself to about a year ago, and my reaction time was horrible. Although, I think you can only improve it to a point.

But, certainly prediction and paying attention work wonders for adding a few more frames to your reaction time.

Shinjin

Smash Cadet
Ally, say you're at a crossroad in the train tracks and there's two separate paths. At the end of one path lies a young man strapped to the tracks, and at the end of the other lie three old men. A train is coming, at because you're at the crossroad, you can hit the switch to make the train go down one path or the other. Which path do you choose?

And what are some good ledge options against a Marth (or anyone, I suppose haha), outside the regular ledge attack?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
If you're getting Tornado spammed like you did vs Ksizzle on Halberd at Pound 4, what do I do?

Top Bottom