• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Anime Convention Thread! Discuss upcoming cons and tournaments!

0kin

Smash Journeyman
Oh ****. Who's gonna meet up in the pre-registration line Thursday? And Okin, I need your number or some **** so I can call you on said day. Who's drinking/trolling with us that evening?
240 605 0007. I'll be there on Thursday too, though I'm going to be EVERYWHERE that day.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
So this will be my first year heading out to otacon. What are the smash tourneys like? I entered one at anime usa and got quite the laugh when it was 1 round, final destination only, single elimination.
yeah lobos i pretty much lost count of all that one time you beat me with link rofl.

sunshade - they suuuuuuuuuuck.
Ya they suck :( I usually go to the gameroom to OD on team friendlies with people in Melee :D

The Dashing Knight

Banned via Warnings
nah man the tourneys are amazing.

people get so hyped over the scrubbiest matches, it's great.

rules do suck though.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
lol I was gonna say something similar. Okinnnnnnnnnnnn I miss you =/ I don't think I've seen you since last Apex o_o

0kin

Smash Journeyman
yeah, "Life" has been kicking my ***. I had to set my priorities straight. But at least im driving now! I'll definitely be going to melee tourneys that You guys host! Also, I definitely saw you at otakon last year lol.

Ghostype

Smash Champion
Yaaa APEX was in like June or simply before July. Otakon was this past weekend last year. I remember because we moved out of the Bmore house directly after Otakon, which was the last thing we went to as a group. Dx

Rei - I'll wake up outside that 7 Eleven one more time just for you!

The Dashing Knight

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, I guess sitting in a line for 3 hours to win a piece of glass is pretty awesome.
lol. the wait is one hour. still stupid but yeah. and it's not the trophy, it's the fact that con girls get on your nuts just for winning the dumbest matches.

not only that, but if you really don't wanna play, you can wait in line, get a ticket, and sell it for like $20-30 like i've done in 08 and 09 to someone who didn't get there in time. i made $50 last year selling my tourney tickets, $20 of it came from atomsk who ended up winning.

0kin

Smash Journeyman
lol. the wait is one hour. still stupid but yeah. and it's not the trophy, it's the fact that con girls get on your nuts just for winning the dumbest matches.

not only that, but if you really don't wanna play, you can wait in line, get a ticket, and sell it for like $20-30 like i've done in 08 and 09 to someone who didn't get there in time. i made $50 last year selling my tourney tickets, $20 of it came from atomsk who ended up winning.
1.) The Wait is actually 2 hours, people will wait well before hand as long as they're allowed too.(tourney starts an hour later after ticket distribution).
2.) I don't need to be good at a mediocre video game to get the attention of women. I'm a man with plenty of confidence in myself, and my social skills. What you're doing is whats called a gimmick.
3.) I don't need to make a quick buck, and waste my precious Otakon time in ANY MORE LINES than I have to. I have a decent paying job, and have plenty of cash to use at my leisure during these.
4.) Did I mention brawl isn't that fun? ( that is, unless you play lucas.)
TL;DR WASTE OF TIME:laugh:

The Dashing Knight

Banned via Warnings
1.) The Wait is actually 2 hours, people will wait well before hand as long as they're allowed too.(tourney starts an hour later after ticket distribution).
2.) I don't need to be good at a mediocre video game to get the attention of women. I'm a man with plenty of confidence in myself, and my social skills. What you're doing is whats called a gimmick.
3.) I don't need to make a quick buck, and waste my precious Otakon time in ANY MORE LINES than I have to. I have a decent paying job, and have plenty of cash to use at my leisure during these.
4.) Did I mention brawl isn't that fun? ( that is, unless you play lucas.)
TL;DR WASTE OF TIME:laugh:

Going a little overboard there, I play brawl at cons because it's fun. I don't even like anime save for a few ones, I go there for the gaming, and to spend times with my friends. I always meet new people. When the con gives me a reason to get out of the game room, like the rave, or a party, I go. Until then, Otakon is just a glorified gaming vacation with friends and good looking girls. Obviously we go for different reasons, no need to bash what I do mister nikolas.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
We all have things we enjoy at Otakon. We all have things we don't enjoy. Anime Conventions...despite having the word "Anime" in front of it, is not just that. It's a celebration of Japanese Culture in general. That includes: American influenced Japanese culture, and Japanese influenced American culture.

This also includes gaming, since it's a part of Japanese culture. (Let's not get into the holiday for friggin' Dragon Quest....)

Some people find the tournaments interesting....others hate them. Some people just go to play the games. Some people avoid the gaming room like the plague because they want to enjoy the rest of the con. (Didn't PC do that in '08? lol)

On a side note: Make sure you drop by the Masquerade and come see D1 and me in our skit!!!

/end shameless self plug

The Dashing Knight

Banned via Warnings
He wasn't -_- he was just furthering the point that people go for different things.

That being said, I would actually like to actually explore the entire con this year, it's just that when I try to every year (been going since 07) there's rarely anything that catches my interest. I'm finally bringing a camera this year, so I'll be sure to take a few hours to get some really nice ones.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I been to cons for years. The reason I do not do much is because it becomes redundant after a while. Going for a tournament is not bad but the panels are great when its not something major like 4chan. Also, I just think a lot of the stuff at conventions are very stale and similar to each other.

IDK its just become boring for me even with my return to watching/reading anime and comics with DC, Avatar ( cartoon ) , and Gurren Lagann ( best mech anime period...even better than Mobile Suit Gundam ).

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
So wait...you're paying $75 (last year $65) to play games? Unless you got the early deal and only paid $35 then I guess that's coo'.

I'm just sayin' that's a lot of money to spend on just going to a con for a game room. You might as well just wait for gaming specific cons like PAX.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I tend to focus on different things each time I go. This year seems like it'll be extremely eventful for me.

@ Pyronic Star- The Otakon Boards/Cosplay.com boards are all searching for people for rooms. I'm sure you can find one. I've seen a bunch of them.

Alex- Last Otakon I went to felt a little like that for me. I think I would have been a bit bored if I didn't run into you guys.

The Dashing Knight

Banned via Warnings
So wait...you're paying $75 (last year $65) to play games? Unless you got the early deal and only paid $35 then I guess that's coo'.

I'm just sayin' that's a lot of money to spend on just going to a con for a game room. You might as well just wait for gaming specific cons like PAX.

It's not really just that, it's the whole environment. I still like to look at the cosplays, go to the dealers room, and other stuff. Trust me, I have an amazing time every year I go, I wouldn't be going for the 4th year straight if I didn't.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Ah, gotcha. I understand, I mean I'm more a gamer than an anime person but I like to go in and out of panels (when possible) and check out the events. I'm always open to looking at new anime too.

Either way I look forward to seeing you all and chillin' :D :D

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion

Lobos

Smash Master
Friday
Super Smash Brothers Brawl (4 player melee) 4pm
DDR Heavy (DDR X - JP) 5pm
DDR Standard (DDR SuperNOVA 2 - JP) 5pm
Soul Calibur IV (PS3) 6pm
Street Fighter IV (PS3) 8pm

Saturday
Super Smash Brothers Brawl (1 on 1) 12 pm
Tekken 6 (PS3) 2pm
Naruto Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX3 4pm
Rock Band 2: The Guitar (360) 6pm
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift (PS3) 8pm

otakon baby! I'm entering smash this year and beating korn in the finals

KREVA

Smash Cadet
I'll be up in Baltimore around 5:30 to 6pm. Sucks that it's going to be raining today. Which is REALLY gay but w/e, what can you do?

Top Bottom