• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bell Tolls for Prince Sable as an Assist Trophy in SSB4! (Now with Footage of Sable!)

How much do you support Prince Sable?

• 100%!

Votes: 42 24.4%
  • Just a little!

Votes: 42 24.4%
  • Who's Prince of Sable?

Votes: 62 36.0%
  • Neutral..

Votes: 26 15.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
A prince with a sword who becomes a frog/ snake, can throw gold, and represents the Game Boy era? SUPPORT!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I feel like this should have more discussion, since I've been talking a bunch of Sable in the Roster Prediction Discussion Thread. I would like to hear some more opinions for the Prince of Sable.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I've been thinking about Sable's standing as a Japan-only character. How many do you think we're likely to get? So far we've seen Marth, Roy and Lucas. We know Sakurai is a fan of Sable, but people (including myself) are putting a lot faith in characters like Takamaru and Sukapon. Is it possible we'll see more than one Japan-only retro character, or would that be pushing the limits of obscurity too far?

Speculator

Smash Ace
I don't think two Japanese characters is that much, besides they make up for the fact that Takamaru and Prince Sable are so unique.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It would sort of reflect the Marth & Roy situation with Melee, where we did have two formerly Japan-only characters show up (and Marth was in many ways a retro revival anyway, since he hadn't shown up since the SNES). There's a good chance Sable could be individially considered a Game Boy retro revival as opposed to an NES/Famicom revival.

I do think we're likely to see a revival familiar to Western audiences as well, but I'm undecided as to whom. But Sakurai likes to bring back older characters, so I definitely think he'll take the opportunity.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I've been thinking about Sable's standing as a Japan-only character. How many do you think we're likely to get? So far we've seen Marth, Roy and Lucas. We know Sakurai is a fan of Sable, but people (including myself) are putting a lot faith in characters like Takamaru and Sukapon. Is it possible we'll see more than one Japan-only retro character, or would that be pushing the limits of obscurity too far?
Fire Emblem was an ongoing series at the time of Melee. Price Sable has only had one game, which was all the way back on the Game Boy. Marth was also a highly requested character in Japan at the time, if I remember correctly, while Prince Sable seems to be mostly unknown. These issues make me rather pessimistic for his inclusion, as much as I would love to have him in.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I was thinking about Speculator's statement, and I think it may be possible to have three Japanese retros if Sakurai wants to introduce new franchises exclusive to Japan. Personally my favorite combo of JPN characters would be Lip, Takamaru, and Prince Sable.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
He said he wanted to revive old characters, but I dunno about a bunch of Japan exclusive ones. Maybe one, but three seems unlikely to me.

I'd love all three of those, though.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I think I'll bump one more time. (This thread needs more activity) If only this character was more widespread. His game is a definite, hidden, and underlooked Gameboy classic. But it's almost as if Smashboards is contained of only Lip and/or Takamaru as the only Japanese retros, but not inviting Prince Sable. ;-;
If only I could start a campaign.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The sad thing is that the only pairings that were spawned from the game was the obvious friend x rival pairing. :troll:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Added tons of content to the OP, including more music, artwork from the instruction booklet of the game, new roster icons, fake dojo pics, and alt. colors. Lots of interesting things I found while researching alot about the game. Sometimes I feel like the only devoted fan here. ;-;

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Throw me on the support list please.

I really think you could make an interesting character here.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Cool, nice to finally have a supporter in ages. ^_^
Welcome to the Froakian army!
I would love to know other people's take on the Gameboy Prince with a moveset.
Cause I basically already did my part.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
One thing I would do with a moveset though wouldn't be mirroring the Pokemon Trainer form change.

Instead, I think it'd be more unique if certain moves caused a form change (say, using Up-Special transformed into a Snake, and then the move was executed), and this form was permament until another move that caused a form change was used, in which case the form changed again.

I'll work more on this. It's just a rough idea.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Maybe you can turn back to a human with Down-B.
I think with Up-B, you could instantly transform into a frog.
Side-B maybe eat a Hotspring Egg to turn in to a snake. That would seem like a more convenient way to quickly transform. You're probably right on that. And Neutral-B will probably be his En Garde move.

Edit: Maybe Smash attacks could activate the Snake transformation. That seems like a neat way to transform to the offensive animal.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Being a frog makes him slower and being a snake makes him faster; Snake as Side B seems the natural move to me.
Is like sonic's spin dash, to chase opponents.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Looks like I've been mixing my facts. @-@
I'd assume the snake would move slowly due to slithering, but that doesn't seem like the case.
O-O
The snake better have low jumps though to balance that speed and power.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Since Sakurai is going for unique characters based on Rosalina's reveal, I wouldn't mind him at all. He at least had more references and better chances that the likes of a certain mole. :troll:

Anyways, I wish if it's possible for us to have 3 Japan reps instead of one or two. :urg:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Since Sakurai is going for unique characters based on Rosalina's reveal, I wouldn't mind him at all. He at least had more references and better chances that the likes of a certain mole. :troll:

Anyways, I wish if it's possible for us to have 3 Japan reps instead of one or two. :urg:
Considering the low amount of newcomers, I say I don't expect 3 Japanese retros, but it would quite amazing if it happened. I'm glad this game this getting more attention, though the fanbase won't affect Sakurai's decision. Now I really wanna find where the source of Sakurai being a big fan of For the Frog the Bell Tolls is. :urg:

Mishudo

Smash Journeyman
I've never played the games but the mere concept of his abilities sound more than worthy enough of him being playable. I would not be disappointed if he made it in :) All the luck to ya, BP

Speculator

Smash Ace
I'm still not sure if I prefer the idea of a full three-part transformation character, or if the transformations are better suited to quick smash attacks/specials. Without a doubt the transformations are the main mechanic of the game so they should be included somehow. One one hand the roster already has a few transformation characters, and therefore the mechanic might not feel as unique as it should for the Prince. On top of that, three individual characters means triple the workload for a character most of the world isn't familiar with. On the other hand, it's difficult enough for those unaccustomed to Super Smash Bros to keep track of their character on-screen in a hectic four-player match. Sakurai might consider a character constantly jumping in and out of different forms to be an unnecessary complication.

Love the music links in the OP, by the way. Credits Roll is just the BEST.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
The reliance of the tranformations would be unique unlike transforming just for character preference.
Perhaps the speed priority of the frog's attacks would be very quick and high jumping speed for recovery, but is downfalled by the weak attacks and slow movement speed.
And the snake would be pretty quick in movement and have high KO power (Able to crawl too), but is balanced by the low jumping speed and the lack of a reliable recovery.
Sable would just be a balance between the two, with good KO potential, if I could describe by one of the Smash characters, he would be a little bit of a weak Marth.
They all balance well IMO, I think it works real well that defines his character.
Also I appreciate the luck and the music feedback, I searched every nook and cranny for content about For the Frog the Bell Tolls from videos to hidden art. ^_^
THe Credits Roll is definitely my favorite music, tied between the Prince's Adventure and above Port Saltwater Town and Hop Hop Springs.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I think an absolute must is an automatic shift into Frog form on contact with water, whether the Prince has permanent transformations or not. Even if he just transforms for a few moves, I think it would be easy enough to have him change for his swimming animations.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
That would be a neat easter egg to have, it stays real true to the game, I like it alot. XD
I could imagine myself turning into frog form in the water of the Zelda Pirate Ship Stage just to recover back. It would only seem very natural to recover back to the stage.
I'm starting to like how this is building up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom