• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bell Tolls for Prince Sable as an Assist Trophy in SSB4! (Now with Footage of Sable!)

How much do you support Prince Sable?

• 100%!

Votes: 42 24.4%
  • Just a little!

Votes: 42 24.4%
  • Who's Prince of Sable?

Votes: 62 36.0%
  • Neutral..

Votes: 26 15.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
God dammit, the pirate ship idea gave me an idea on Prince Sable could be revealed, it could completely be unrelated to him just like Kirby riding in Rainbow Road:

The trailer starts off with Toon Link setting off in the seas on his ship, in the next cutscene shows of Sable in frog form swimming underwater, jumping out the blue sea in a shadowy form. Toon Link sees the figure and uses his pirate telescope to locate the figure. Then in the next sequence, Toon Link (while still looking with telescope) sees Sable in snake form trying to sneaking in barrels and crates on the ship to catch the green hat adventurer off guard. Then in the next sequence, Sable turns back in human form behind Toon Link and points his sword at Toon Link (pointing just like in the For the Frog the Bell Tolls front cover of the game). Then the message of Sable appears,"Prince Sable rings into battle!"

This is just too perfect. Maybe I should make a visual concept on how it should turn out.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I wouldn't mind seeing Prince Sable as a playable character. It would add another prince to the game. I would prefer if his appearance was as close to the original as possible meaning he appears anime like.

I didn't get the Richard in Link's Awakening reference until years afterward.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I thought there were no princes in the game, looks like Marth is one, but mostly he's called a lord. ;-; (Welp that would kinda take away a small bit his uniqueness)

I prefer the original design alot too, makes him look alot more like a classic Nintendo character IMO, it's simple, chibi, and cute at the same time.

And I learnt of Prince Sable before I knew Richard was in Link's Awakening, I never played the portable Zelda titles alot.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
(Free bump)
It's time to see what people will think of Prince Sable, as he is being rated in chance and want.
I'll have the results here in this post to see what people think.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
God dammit, the pirate ship idea gave me an idea on Prince Sable could be revealed, it could completely be unrelated to him just like Kirby riding in Rainbow Road:

The trailer starts off with Toon Link setting off in the seas on his ship, in the next cutscene shows of Sable in frog form swimming underwater, jumping out the blue sea in a shadowy form. Toon Link sees the figure and uses his pirate telescope to locate the figure. Then in the next sequence, Toon Link (while still looking with telescope) sees Sable in snake form trying to sneaking in barrels and crates on the ship to catch the green hat adventurer off guard. Then in the next sequence, Sable turns back in human form behind Toon Link and points his sword at Toon Link (pointing just like in the For the Frog the Bell Tolls front cover of the game). Then the message of Sable appears,"Prince Sable rings into battle!"

This is just too perfect. Maybe I should make a visual concept on how it should turn out.
If Prince of Sable gets in the game, I'm sure he'd be a secret character and end up not having a trailer. If they decided to reveal secret newcomers ahead of time though, that would definitely be a great way of doing it.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
As a secret character? Normally retros are revealed as starter characters..
But it would be alot awesome if he was revealed ahead of time, even though we'll be spoiled of the roster. I think Sakurai knows that we don't mind spoilers, because Smash Bros is all about the characters, eagerly waiting who becomes a new challenger in the game.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
As a secret character? Normally retros are revealed as starter characters..
But it would be alot awesome if he was revealed ahead of time, even though we'll be spoiled of the roster. I think Sakurai knows that we don't mind spoilers, because Smash Bros is all about the characters, eagerly waiting who becomes a new challenger in the game.
R.O.B. and Game & Watch. That is all.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Meh, I personally don't think he'll be the historical WTF Sakurai is looking for, I consider him more of a retro choice than a misc. historical character (Whom R.O.B. and Game & Watch had a more influential and successful campaign). Though if he does actually end up being revealed as the historical choice, I won't complain. :9

I'm actually kinda sad that no one talks about Sable.
It's sad really. :(
He's very worthy of discussion and ideally he could be the franchise Sakurai wants to revive. It's an overall simple but great game, it's the simplicity that the game masters and absolutely catchy music.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's sad really. :(
He's very worthy of discussion and ideally he could be the franchise Sakurai wants to revive. It's an overall simple but great game, it's the simplicity that the game masters and absolutely catchy music.
The problem is that he has some major competition. There's Lip (Since the Lip's Stick item isn't confirmed yet) and Takamaru (a character that's been preferenced a few times post-Brawl) for him to deal with for the spot. Considering Sakurai's modesty over adding too many Japan-only reps, all three characters might not make it. Being the troll he is, I can tell he might a reveal the Lip's Stick in Spring to make her fans feel bad like he already did to Starfy. Either way, I would be glad to happy any of them join the fray since they are arguably more interesting than most of the international retros like Mach Rider and *shudders* Urban Champion. That being said, Ness and Lucas needs a little buddy their age to play with after all. :troll:

Last edited:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Hey I think a cool way of doing Prince of Sable's moveset would be to only allow him to transform once per life.
Every time you respawn, you return to human form, and whenever you think it gives you an advantage, you can turn into either a Snake or Frog. However, you're stuck with whatever choice you've made until you die.
I think it makes him unique from how Zelda and Pokemon Trainer transform, but I can't think of a way to make it useful.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Transform once per life? That would seem rather limited don't you think? Though it makes tons of sense that he transforms back in human form since that's canon in the game.
Also, I made a brand new move set for the Prince back in NinDB forums too, it's only special moves for now:
Prince Sable

Neutral-B: En-Garde!: Prince Sable turns into attack stance, when the opponent hits Prince Sable, the prince will go into auto-attack mode like in the game. When you mash the B-button, you are able to do 2% of damage the opponent. Note however, the opponent is able to escape clouds of dust.

Side-B: Snake Bite: The Sabure Prince turns into snake form to rush and bite the opponent. This move can cause a temporary stun to the opponent and give a good amount of damage, then sending the opponent high in the sky. This will permanently turn Sable into Snake Form until Sable eats the Joy Fruit.

Up-B: Frog Jump: Prince Sable turns into frog form to gain a high vertical boost of recovery. If an opponent contacts Sable while he is using the move, Sable will multi-hit the opponent meteor smash the opponent. Like Snake Form, Sable will permanently be in Frog Form until Sable eats the Joy Fruit.

Down-B: Joy Fruit: Prince Sable eats a Joy Fruit. Use this while in Frog or Snake form to immediately go back to human form. This move can immediately transform Sable back, giving interesting combo opportunities.
I might expand upon the full moveset soon.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
A new leak came by that literally exploded me with excitement:
http://www.nintendoforums.com/topic/780-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u3ds/#entry4303
Hello, I would like to introduce myself. I am Mjardo and I think I have some information regarding the new Super Smash Bros. game. I've personally gotten to know someone who claims to work for Sora Ltd. He's not someone who would kid or joke around, he's very serious and calm. I've been egging him for a while and looking to find out any information I can about the Super Smash Bros. series since it is my favorite series. Well, earlier today, he came clean with some information.

He said there are at least two retro newcomers, but he would specify one of them. Saburé Prince from a Japanese only game. He said one of the retro newcomers would be revived in a new game ala Kid Icarus: Uprising, and he claims to know because their design is based around the reboot. He also mentioned Dixie Kong. Really surprising, huh? He says she uses her hair in some attacks. The other newcomer I could get out of him was a Pokémon "trainer-like" character that uses a fairy Pokémon and two others, one he is pretty sure is Ice. Apparently there is a Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze stage, too. Oh! Last thing he would tell me was that Lucas is back, which was fine, I guess? It's kind of a random veteran to confirm, because neither of us to my knowledge likes Lucas and I didn't thing he would be cut. Take what you will with that.
Though i would take this with a grain of salt, it literally got me hyped, and the way he said it sounds very believable.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
No one ever has this little prince in a leak, so I'm glad this "leak" mentions the Gameboy Prince. Hoping it's true, but for now we'll just wait. :p
In the meanwhile I think it fueled me to try to finish my Sable moveset soon. Hopefully I get to do this in the weekend.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
No one ever has this little prince in a leak, so I'm glad this "leak" mentions the Gameboy Prince. Hoping it's true, but for now we'll just wait. :p
In the meanwhile I think it fueled me to try to finish my Sable moveset soon. Hopefully I get to do this in the weekend.
he'd be a great surprise character, i'm a huge link's awakening fan so i'd enjoy his inclusion. Glad to see a rumor with him in it exists finally!

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
May I please be added to the supporter's list? While I don't want Sable that badly, I'd love to see him make an appearance. His game was pretty fun, too.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
write my name in the supporters' list ;)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

For Prince Sable and the rest of his slimy empire. The jacket could have been better, but this is the best I could do with him. ;)

MasteRMerF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasteRMerF
3DS FC
5000-2607-1297
Definitely one of my most wanted characters. After browsing through other threads, I'm glad to see so many people support him as well. Throw me on that there supporters list, if you'd be so kind ;)

Marakatu

Smash Ace
I support the prince. If Takamaru is Link's brother, so Sable is pretty much Link's younger cousin. Just look at Link's Awakening and For the Frog the Bell Tolls.

Fun fact: In 2002, for the Frog the Bell Tolls almost got a DX version for the Game Boy Color, much like Link's Awakening did.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I support the prince. If Takamaru is Link's brother, so Sable is pretty much Link's younger cousin. Just look at Link's Awakening and For the Frog the Bell Tolls.

Fun fact: In 2002, for the Frog the Bell Tolls almost got a DX version for the Game Boy Color, much like Link's Awakening did.
Well that was a wasted opportunity on Nintendo's part. And I thought all the cancelled Kirby titles were bad decisions.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
How many games has he been in? I think he sounds interesting, but I don't know anything about him.
Exactly one.
Also a sticker in Brawl.

Ironically enough, two of the side characters have been in more games than he has, disregarding the Brawl sticker.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Exactly one.
Also a sticker in Brawl.

Ironically enough, two of the side characters have been in more games than he has, disregarding the Brawl sticker.
Yes. I've seen someone put the one with the blue hair over him on a roster, and wondered why, I'm guessing (Princes Richard?) is one of the two in more games?

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Yes. I've seen someone put the one with the blue hair over him on a roster, and wondered why, I'm guessing (Princes Richard?) is one of the two in more games?
Yup, he shows up in Link's Awakening, and Dr. Arewostein appears in Wario Land 4.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Welp I think I just thought of a moveset that I can animate, I'll type it out for you so you can get the idea of the sort of moveset I have.
Up B, Bounding Leap, turns into a Frog and leaps up, stays in frog form
B Sable Thrusts with his Sword similar to marth, if he is a Frog or a Snake he'll change back into his human form
Side B Sable Leaps (turning back into a human) forward in a kick, if he collides with someone, a puff of smoke appears momentarily and Sable leaps out with the opponent on the floor
Down B Sable thrusts forward turning into a snake biting, if he lands a hit, the enemy is poisoned for a moment or so (indicated by a dark purple hue and damage percentage raising like a Lips Stick flower) stays as as a Snake until his B or Side B is used.

I'll get into more detail with the A moves later.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I think Side-B should be Snake bite since it would be alot more natural, since it is a forward move. The rest is fine though. Good luck with animating. :)
I like the poisoning idea for Snake BTW. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom