• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Better Lucario Official Guide/Faq/Database (Now with More Lawl!)

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Millllnnnnnn.
Hi.
>_> I'm on the Lucario boards again!
Woo!
Go me.
But yea. I like that doodle of Lucario's grab range >_>.
-DD

Timbers

check me out
Trying to pressure a character's shield with dairs is frankly a bad idea. A lot of characters have very fast OOS options that can punish Lucario inbetween the first dair and the second dair. Some are quick enough to punish before Luc can even dair (assuming you were to fair their shield and continued to DI towards them)

It's really never recommended to continue a pursuit into their shield if they..have their shield up lol.

Metaknight's nair, GaW's uB, Bowser's uB, Wario's nair, Snake's nade counter...etc.

If they shield it just back off. You can't fly right into their shield all the time.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
>.> Well, you can use it as a mix-up.

<_< Sometimes you shield pressure, othertimes you fastfall behind them into a ForcePalm/Grab, other times you fastfall in front of them[generally bad idea], and DSmash or something.

-DD

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I've always preferred the action of "poking" an enemy while in shield rather than press on, but then again, I'm not the most offensive Lucario you'll meet:ohwell:.

Milln

Smash Champion
Does anybody have any findings or information that they would like to add to the guide? Does something need to be update? This isn't a one person thing, this is a collaboration. =o

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
hmmm well when I was at a tourney I was trying out Luc's grab release set-ups. I got a lot of ground releases
barely any jump releases from people. and I got a few sweet hits with it o=. GR-Jab-Jab-FP [DK], GR-FP [luc, I think at 1 point pika & shiek but my memorys fuzzy] and when a kirby spammed sidedodge after his release.... FSMASH :D

so.. tl;dr ver: you think Grab release is good for lucario [awesome Jab punches = a lot of ground releases]? or was I just getting lucky with the element of surprise?
C&Ped from my post at AIB :p since Jeeps seems busy ATM maybe you could pounce
on this opportunity. and lol Phi1.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
hmmm well when I was at a tourney I was trying out Luc's grab release set-ups. I got a lot of ground releases
barely any jump releases from people. and I got a few sweet hits with it o=. GR-Jab-Jab-FP [DK], GR-FP [luc, I think at 1 point pika & shiek but my memorys fuzzy] and when a kirby spammed sidedodge after his release.... FSMASH :D

so.. tl;dr ver: you think Grab release is good for lucario [awesome Jab punches = a lot of ground releases]? or was I just getting lucky with the element of surprise?
I think Grab release is very good for Lucario, especially near the edge. I saw one game where Azen did a grab release, then did a fully charged AS. his opponent had to decide either eating it at high % (or a KO, in other words), or attempt to recover (which would require extreme timing in his position). He tried the latter, only to lose the game.

Frogsterking

Smash Journeyman
I think Grab release is very good for Lucario, especially near the edge. I saw one game where Azen did a grab release, then did a fully charged AS. his opponent had to decide either eating it at high % (or a KO, in other words), or attempt to recover (which would require extreme timing in his position). He tried the latter, only to lose the game.
Thats a cool trick.

Milln

Smash Champion
I swear the game wasn't like this when I first started testing. *grumbles*

Yes, you're all correct. If you Pummel too quickly in succession, it will not refresh diminishings.
To that effect, even if they're caught in the Aura Sphere Charge ticks, it won't decrease the sphere damage or knockback by as many ticks they're caught in. Just by one or two queues. this means that you can charge your sphere on your opponent with less reserve.

Clarifying even further, Pummels will ALWAYS count as a "combo". The question is: How fast can you go?

You cannot do it rapidly like you've been training to do with timed presses and expect your diminishings to be reset. Doing it at about half the speed works fine for replenishment. So instead of Du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du, do dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun

Someone update the section for me.

WildC4rd

Smash Rookie
Very nice guide. The second jump recover is pretty nice. It's like bowser's with the K-Claw. Can everyone do this?

Milln

Smash Champion
September 29th, 2008- Just rotated the pictures.

Enjoy the pumpkin Lucario for the autumn season!

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Lucario Pumpkin is Epic. I is tempted to make something outta that Luca-Mew Pic.......

The Aura Part of Fsmash has like Falco Lazer priority and never clanks. The Person who tested was
simna but..I STILL THINK IT'S AWESOME AND WE SHOULDN'T PUT IT DOWN BECAUSE HE WAS UN-CHILL
THAT WEEK =O besides milln can always Check himselfs Rite?

tedward2000

Smash Champion
You know, Milln, I enjoy this thread each time I read it.

Oh and Luc-O-lantern is cool. I have seen it Before though.

And my parents will be out of town this weekend, meaning, I can get some me playing lucario footage for every one!
-t2

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
I'm currently working on a mini guide that describes when you should use each of Lucario's moves. I mean, your guide is great for hitbox info, knockback, and other neat stuff, but it doesn't really go in-depth in covering the uses and dangers of each move - i.e. fsmash walls, dair ledgespike, why DT blows, breaking out of forcepalm CG, etc. You should also add the frame data from Timbers as he finishes it. That way all the new folks reading can get a sense of how fast each move is compared to others.

Lovin' the pumpkin Luc though.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Hmm, that reminds me, timbers needs to get on that, like ASAP.
So then I can help him with my idea for it, aka the time length of hitbox's on moves %.

-t2

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
I disagree on double team sucking. It's just situational. Of course, you can't use it often, but it works nicely as a mindgame move or a surprise.

Browny

Smash Hater
so a few days ago i was fighting against 2 level 9 lucarios when one of them did an extreme speed on the spot. like, he went to the right and then instantly did a 180* back to where he started, facing the same direction. anyone know if this is humanly possible? ive tried to recreate it but there must be some tiny frame window or button combination im not doing since i cant get it once. It may not have any purpose, it certainly made me go WTF? but thought it would be interesting to look a little more into ES dynamics, maybe it is possible to do 90* turns with it to land on a stage from below with very low lag >_> (or hop onto a platform for a jab combo)

Milln

Smash Champion
You can do it. I've done it a couple times when i've messed up Extreme Stop. =x

Rebonack

Smash Apprentice
I can't help but notice that the CPU Lucarios have the unusual habit of using Extreme Speed for no readily apparent reason. Including the rather pointless act of running into me with it. Almost makes one wonder if it ever had a hitbox that was somehow left out.

Maybe they're just trying to confuse us. Where 'us' is 'me'.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I can't help but notice that the CPU Lucarios have the unusual habit of using Extreme Speed for no readily apparent reason. Including the rather pointless act of running into me with it. Almost makes one wonder if it ever had a hitbox that was somehow left out.

Maybe they're just trying to confuse us. Where 'us' is 'me'.
CPUs will do some of the most retarted things, like upBing when they aren't even off the edge, which gives them super falling lag. But ES is one of those few moves that I'm still trying to support as an approach in some darn way or another. If I make a video, that's one thing that will show up a few times, and ppl will say "Yup, definitely Phil". Tho I have found that spacing it appropriately can be useful for closing a gap between an escaping/flying opponent, or to go behind them for a jab (U don't use Extreme stop, tho, just flick the stick in the opposite direction and he'll auto turn without almost any lag after, just the whole transition is laggy). Why am I still trying? T.T

tedward2000

Smash Champion
ES2 Phil.

It'll half the lag time and yet, even so its not a great starter.o0.

However, if you can find why ES flys and gets negated on Luigi Mansion. Then perhaps it can be reconstructed on normal flat lands.
Or try something, like bounce on the ground with ES and instantly smash the C-stick in one way. Maybe it does something.
Same can go for DT, like MK he goes invisible and you can to a glitch. Lucario goes invisible too, perhaps some command can do the same.

its just testing and trying things during animations.
-t2

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
ES2 Phil.

It'll half the lag time and yet, even so its not a great starter.o0.

However, if you can find why ES flys and gets negated on Luigi Mansion. Then perhaps it can be reconstructed on normal flat lands.
Or try something, like bounce on the ground with ES and instantly smash the C-stick in one way. Maybe it does something.
Same can go for DT, like MK he goes invisible and you can to a glitch. Lucario goes invisible too, perhaps some command can do the same.

its just testing and trying things during animations.
-t2
That would be awesome, to fly around during the invisibility time of Lucario's DT, have ur opponent freaking out and doing random swings at the empty air, then come out of nowhere sliding and screaming behind him "SURPRISE BUTTSECKS!" lol.

Clarity

Smash Rookie
Lucario is quite a strong character, I don't understand why most people don't like him.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Lucario is quite a strong character, I don't understand why most people don't like him.
Its not that they don't like him, its just that he's to hard to use for them. Too much Awesome to handle.

Oh and Welcome to the Lucario Boards Clarity!!
So, yea, the community has, for the most part, deflated. XP
Um....theres not a lot of spam anymore so thats not a problem. We dont like flamers, any flamer will be taken care of by myself or some others on the board.
We're a great group of ppl, low to high rank, we're all accessible proly 24/7.

Most of us hang in the IRC. This is HQ, we chill in here. It's best you come too.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=183017 < theres a link to it here.

Its fun, but a hint of warning. The IRC does not Follow SWF rules, so somethings that happen in there are questionable to some.

And different ppl come on at different times. And so does the Maturity. In the afternoon, its younger aged, while later at like night to late late night, its the older ppls.

other then that, you'll find your nitch in the community just fine.
So Enjoy your Self!!
-t2

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Oh Milln!

So'za I was brawling today, and I found some interesting things.

One, this little thing. (make sure you and the other its at a low %)
D-tilt,Fsmash(with c-stick),B.
If not shielded it will hit, all of it.

Now the tricky one.
This happened, which I have slightly figured out how to do.
You F-tilt then grab. You are grabbing them out of the F-tilt.
BUT
this only works when they take NO knockback from F-tilt.

Im still trying to find exactly when this works. Its not easy lemme tell you that.
-t2

JCav

Smash Lord
ok i am never in these boards but i just have a quick question for you lucario players.

is up tilt good or no?

all i want to know, thanks

JCav

Smash Lord
thank you for your responses. my friend uses lucario and says that up tilt is useless so i decided to ask you guys.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
then what's the utility for it if i'm so silly? I'm pretty sure I'm generally knowledgeable with Lucario at least. I just took fifth using him in a tourney where i nearly beat panda's snake with it.

Milln

Smash Champion
then what's the utility for it if i'm so silly? I'm pretty sure I'm generally knowledgeable with Lucario at least. I just took fifth using him in a tourney where i nearly beat panda's snake with it.
COULD'VE WON IF YOU USED UTILT. =OOOOOOOOOO

XD

Utilt is good for: hitting people that roll, keeping strings going, having a fast attack, hitting people behind you when it's too late to turn around.... etc.

To each Lucario their own, but... Utilt is a fantastic move.

Top Bottom